PDA

View Full Version : SB Role For Bettis/ Running Game?

Livinginthe past
01-24-2006, 05:32 PM
What do the Steelers faithful see Jerome's role being in this years SB?

The figures so far in this years playoffs have been less than flattering - he still has some nice juke moves - but seems unable to move the pile like the old days.

I have included some stats from the playoffs.

vs Cincinatti - 10 atts 52 yds

vs Indianapolis - 17 atts 46 yds

vs Denver - 15 atts 39yds

Total - 42 atts 137yds (3.26ypc)

This to me is not the sort of output I would expect from a game changer - having said that he is very effective at 3rd and short conversions.

Wille Parker has been similarly ineffective - even against the Bengals run D. and a similar, if not lower. ypc average.

Does this mean that the burden now rests with Ben to lead the offense down the field, which he has been fantastic at so far?

NM

Justin Otstott
01-24-2006, 05:36 PM
I don't know but seeing that its the SB im sure both RB's will play alot better, mostly bettis! Parker just needs to calm down and stop diving before a hit...shit makes me mad!

clevestinks
01-24-2006, 05:39 PM
The reseason for the lower rushing output is a combination of catching teams off guard early, and the effectiveness of the passing game. I think Cowher would run more, but if it ain`t broke DON`T fix it. We can run, although denver is tough against the run. Ben is now coming into his own, and we love it.

Suitanim
01-24-2006, 05:43 PM
3.26 ypc seems pretty effective to me considering he's almost constantly facing 10-11 guys in the box in pure sellout running situations, situations when he's usually being asked to gain 1-2 yards.

Bus will be as fired up as any player in the Super Bowl ever, and will probably see 15-20 carries. I expect his usual short/goal situations, but Cowher will give him a few series outside of that.

83-Steelers-43
01-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Personally, I think Jerome's role will be the same as it has been the whole year. But, If Willie keeps putting the ball on the ground like he did against Indy, Jerome will come in and take over in my opinion. There is no doubt the punishment Jerome brings to a defensive line, but I still see Willie starting out because I feel the Steelers like the chance of Willie breaking off a big gain. It all depends on how Willie is looking.

tony hipchest
01-24-2006, 06:21 PM
What do the Steelers faithful see Jerome's role being in this years SB?

The figures so far in this years playoffs have been less than flattering - he still has some nice juke moves - but seems unable to move the pile like the old days.

I have included some stats from the playoffs.

vs Cincinatti - 10 atts 52 yds

vs Indianapolis - 17 atts 46 yds

vs Denver - 15 atts 39yds

Total - 42 atts 137yds (3.26ypc)

This to me is not the sort of output I would expect from a game changer - having said that he is very effective at 3rd and short conversions.

Wille Parker has been similarly ineffective - even against the Bengals run D. and a similar, if not lower. ypc average.

Does this mean that the burden now rests with Ben to lead the offense down the field, which he has been fantastic at so far?

NM

youre crazy living. you have beatten the drum the loudest that the steelers would never win with their run first philosophy, that ben hadnt proven he could beat quality opponents if he had to throw more than 20 times, if the steelers didnt run for more than 100 yds etc. now you imply that the running game is absent, or all of a sudden is a liability. have you studied the types of run plays that have been called in the final halves of the past 3 games. you do know that jerome historically is not a 4.0 yd/ carry back? i like that 5.2 yd/ carry vs. cinci though. i guess you are spoiled by the greatness that is corey dillon.

to answer your question, i can see bettis being in the game early but having pretty much the same role. we can all expect this to be a home game in detroit. the steelers sounded like they were the hometeam vs. dallas in their last superbowl and that was in arizona where cowboy fans outnumber cardinal fans when they play. does cowher use bettis as ane ace in the hole to get the crowd fired up at a specific moment, or start the game with him on the field and ride the emotional wave? i think cowher starts willie and tries to establish the run early. the guick strike offense has worked excellent in the past 3 weeks but i bet cowher is anticipating the seahawks to over prepare for this and maybe he tries to change it up and go back to a smash mouth style of play.

the game is about the team and i dont think cowher is gonna make it about bettis. but he will be featured. bettis had 100+ yds vs chicago and bowled over the defensive mvp not quite a pile but still good. 4 games ago he had 3 td's. he was supposedly out of gas, and treads on the tires (steelerfans have heard them all) years ago. steelerfans arent worrying about 3.4 yds/ carry. who knows, jerome told the guys to get him home to detroit. he probably told them they could ride him to glory once they got there.

RoethlisBURGHer
01-24-2006, 06:26 PM
The only thing I see changing is a few more carries in non short yardage/goal line situations because it's probally his last game in his career.

Livinginthe past
01-25-2006, 05:55 PM
Lets have some predictions then people.

What do you think Bettis figures will be in the big game?

Im going for 13 att 37 yds 1TD

NM

Stlrs4Life
01-25-2006, 05:58 PM
I don't think they will change. If I had to guess, I would say The Bus gets 45 yds on 9 att. 2 TDs.

BlackNGold203
01-25-2006, 06:00 PM
This will be interesting....Carolina had no running backs...so Seattle could quadruple cover Steve Smith.....allowing them to shut down Carolina...different story a week from Sunday...

teams stacked the line to shut down the "Run-only Steelers"...and they've gotten deep fried by Ben

It's going to be interesting to see what Seattle does....stack the box?...drop off?

Seattle's defensive philosophy will dictate the RB stats...

tony hipchest
01-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Lets have some predictions then people.

What do you think Bettis figures will be in the big game?

Im going for 13 att 37 yds 1TD

NM are you looking for us to play a lottery style guessing game or make an educated prediction? if prediction, i'll hold off and make sure he dont catch the flu or nothing (you know how being around all them snotty nosed nieces, nephews, cousins etc can be)

id hate for him to take a pain injection shot before a playoff game that makes his whole leg go numb and keeps him out. like that would ever happen (2001 vs. ravens)

Livinginthe past
01-25-2006, 06:16 PM
are you looking for us to play a lottery style guessing game or make an educated prediction? if prediction, i'll hold off and make sure he dont catch the flu or nothing (you know how being around all them snotty nosed nieces, nephews, cousins etc can be)

id hate for him to take a pain injection shot before a playoff game that makes his whole leg go numb and keeps him out. like that would ever happen (2001 vs. ravens)

I want you to make an educated prediction based on a fully healthy Bettis. If he isnt - then this thread goes out the window.

NM

MichiSteeler
01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
I think the Bus should start. Not only out of respect but because of the fact that Fast Willie hasnt been effective at all in the play-offs.

Livinginthe past
01-26-2006, 12:15 AM
I dont think that either back has been effective in the playoffs to be honest - Bettis is good at short 3rd down conversions and Willie has the capability to break a big one but it doesnt happen that often.

All this should make us realise what a fantastic job Ben has done - and its the reason I have moved him upto Elite status in the NFL.

He has opened up passing most games, putting the opposition back on their heels - he has shown better judgement on passes to make or throw away in just the last few games.

I still dont rate the Pittsburgh WR corps that highly - average at best I would say - which makes Bens feats all the more impressive.

NM

augustashark
01-26-2006, 12:37 AM
I dont think that either back has been effective in the playoffs to be honest - Bettis is good at short 3rd down conversions and Willie has the capability to break a big one but it doesnt happen that often.

All this should make us realise what a fantastic job Ben has done - and its the reason I have moved him upto Elite status in the NFL.

He has opened up passing most games, putting the opposition back on their heels - he has shown better judgement on passes to make or throw away in just the last few games.

I still dont rate the Pittsburgh WR corps that highly - average at best I would say - which makes Bens feats all the more impressive.

NM

I'm glad you moved him into the elite status! Now he really has arived!

as far as Bettis, I think it depends on how the game is going. If were up in the 4th Q then I would expect Bettis to end up with some pretty good stats!

area51lofa
01-26-2006, 08:09 AM
IMO the 'HAWKS will only use their front 7 to stop the run until/unless the STEELERS prove they can run on them :cool:

seahawksfan
01-26-2006, 01:23 PM
If Bettis is running it alot then the Steelers are ahead. If he isn't their playing catch-up. I vote for catch-up! :grin: Hey, what is the Vegas betting line on who will touch the ball first? What is the over/under yardage?

Suitanim
01-26-2006, 04:01 PM
18-67 2 TD's. Starts slow, then starts ripping off consistent 5-7 yard runs later in the game when we are protecting our lead.

drizze99
01-26-2006, 04:33 PM
First, I will predict that Bettis will START.

Second, I will predict his stat line at: 17-89 2TD's

daleemnm
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
I'd start him. Willie isnt going to do jackshit again.

SteelerSal
01-26-2006, 05:07 PM
I predict Bettis will get his final 100yd game, of his career, and go out in style.

28 carries for 124 yards and 3 td's.

He'll break a 26 and a 32 yarder, in the 4th qtr., to boost his stats. We've seen it before, so it's not far fetched.

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/PF/04BettisJerome03.jpg

43Hitman
01-26-2006, 05:23 PM
I predict 13 carries for 62 yards TD (Could very easily be 2 TD's). I honestly don't think we'll see him do to many things out of his ordinary role.

For my trick play prediction, I predict JB doing the ole' HB pass play to Miller from about the 15 yard line. This would especially work the first time they get into the redzone, cause they will expect Bettis to run from about 20 yards out.

Suitanim
01-26-2006, 05:48 PM
I predict 13 carries for 62 yards TD (Could very easily be 2 TD's). I honestly don't think we'll see him do to many things out of his ordinary role.

For my trick play prediction, I predict JB doing the ole' HB pass play to Miller from about the 15 yard line. This would especially work the first time they get into the redzone, cause they will expect Bettis to run from about 20 yards out.

That actually reminds me...I continually hear detractors who question why we run sweeps to the Bus when we have a much faster WP in the backfield. Well, the trick play Bettis fake sweep pass to Miller won't be very effective if everytime he gets a pitch he throws the ball now, will it?

43Hitman
01-26-2006, 06:07 PM
That actually reminds me...I continually hear detractors who question why we run sweeps to the Bus when we have a much faster WP in the backfield. Well, the trick play Bettis fake sweep pass to Miller won't be very effective if everytime he gets a pitch he throws the ball now, will it?

Yeah your right about that. It's all about the big picture.