PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch OUT for 6 weeks?

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Schefter twitter

Steelers QB Charlie Batch, Big Ben's would-be replacement, needs wrist surgery and will be sidelined six weeks. Get ready, Dennis Dixon.

Steelers will have no comment till Mike Tomlin's presser on Tuesday. If it is Dennis Dixon as starter, he has thrown one only NFL pass.

http://twitter.com/ADAM_SCHEFTER

Curtain_of_Steel
11-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Was he long enough to get hurt?lol. Man, its no funny, but did he get hurt in the shower or something?

When it rains it pours. I think batch is getting to old to be a #2. Every time he steps on the field he gets hurt in reg games.

El-Gonzo Jackson
I think its time for Chuck to hang em up. Osteoporosis can set in when you start getting old and your bones get brittle.

Oh well, now Dixon will be active on gameday and can finally be used in the "Wildcat" or as a KR/PR or WR as most on this board thought he should be doing. :rofl:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Schefter twitter

Steelers QB Charlie Batch, Big Ben's would-be replacement, needs wrist surgery and will be sidelined six weeks. Get ready, Dennis Dixon.

Steelers will have no comment till Mike Tomlin's presser on Tuesday. If it is Dennis Dixon as starter, he has thrown one only NFL pass.

Just heard the same thing on ESPN 1250 stan and guy's show....not good. Didn't tampa bay cut what's his name the backup QB we had last year. His name escapes me right now.

Fire Haley
Call Lefty!

OneForTheToe
11-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Looks like the Pen's injury bug has hit the Steelers. I like Charlie but he is as fragile as a 90 year-old women.

klick81
11-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Call Lefty!

No shit!

Didn't this happen the last two times he replaced Ben? Comes in for a few drives and then is knocked out for the rest of the season? Geez man.

madtowndrunkard
11-23-2009, 10:09 AM
Schefter twitter

This injury has shenanigans written all over it.

What I mean by that is I wonder if he wasn't injured prior to that game. It happens.....player hurt him self, knows he'll be cut if he lets the cat out of the bag. So just fake an injury and save your self millions $.

I never even saw Batch get hit. Maybe he did get hurt but it sure looks bad. What did he play? One series?

klick81
11-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Wouldn't doubt it. Bettis did it, why not Batch?

SteelStang
11-23-2009, 10:22 AM
Is Kent Graham available?

Kvnfaber
11-23-2009, 10:27 AM
This injury has shenanigans written all over it.

What I mean by that is I wonder if he wasn't injured prior to that game. It happens.....player hurt him self, knows he'll be cut if he lets the cat out of the bag. So just fake an injury and save your self millions $.

I never even saw Batch get hit. Maybe he did get hurt but it sure looks bad. What did he play? One series?

I doubt it, Batch zipped the first pass pretty well which would lead me to believe that he was just fine. However calling that sweep play on third down makes me think maybe his wrist was injured before that play?

HometownGal
11-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Call Lefty!

Lefty is still a part of the Bucs team but is a back-up to Josh Freeman who stunk out the field yesterday vs. the Saints. He was one of the best and most reliable backups we've ever had and I wish we had never let him leave. :banging:

theplatypus
11-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Hopefully Schefter's twitter account has been hacked and this is just bs.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Is Kent Graham available? Nah.....Kelly Holcombe can come out of retirement since he knows the offense.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 10:34 AM
I doubt it, Batch zipped the first pass pretty well which would lead me to believe that he was just fine. However calling that sweep play on third down makes me think maybe his wrist was injured before that play?

Zipped???!?!?!?!?!?!?

Didnt you see Batch float that pass out to Mendenhall in the right flat?? Charlie batch has never "Zipped" a pass in his NFL career. Arm strength is not his forte........I think he drives a Kia Forte though. :wink:

Christian Snyder
11-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Not good. I hope Ben can play sunday or we're in trouble!

Just heard the same thing on ESPN 1250 stan and guy's show....not good. Didn't tampa bay cut what's his name the backup QB we had last year. His name escapes me right now.

Byron Leftwich is his name.

madtowndrunkard
11-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Nah.....Kelly Holcombe can come out of retirement since he knows the offense.

You bring up a funny point. But it's also not funny. Our offense is very much like the offense Arians ran in Cleveland. Air it out and make a lot of mistakes. Same reason the Browns were knocked out of the playoffs way back then.

Kvnfaber
11-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Zipped???!?!?!?!?!?!?

Didnt you see Batch float that pass out to Mendenhall in the right flat?? Charlie batch has never "Zipped" a pass in his NFL career. Arm strength is not his forte........I think he drives a Kia Forte though. :wink:

Ok, maybe zipped wasn't the right word, but it was a 17 yarder that he "slipped" in a tight space. :P

KeiselPower99
11-23-2009, 10:39 AM
If I may cuss.....Sonofabitch!!!!!! Ben better be healthy come Sunday night. Im not ready to see Dixon go up against an angry Ravens D.

Jmat
11-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I heard about this on the radio this morning.
Chuck is a hell of a good guy but he is really fragile. If you look at him funny he gets injured.

Steel Duck
11-23-2009, 10:52 AM
I think its time for Chuck to hang em up. Osteoporosis can set in when you start getting old and your bones get brittle.
:rofl:

OMG I ALMOST FELL OUT OF MY CHAIR LAUGHING!!!!!!!! HAHAHA :applaudit::applaudit::rofl::rofl::sofunny::sofunn y::hatsoff:

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
This my friends...is what one calls...."An end to a career"

cya Charlie...thanks for everthing!!!:tt02::tt02::tt02:

I am going to start checking for QB's without a home!!

Dino 6 Rings
11-23-2009, 11:03 AM
So What...Time for Dixon to step up and beat the freaking choking going down hill aging and not very good Ravens.

steelreserve
11-23-2009, 11:06 AM
What the hell? Did he even have enough time to get injured?

I wonder if this is just a continuation of the Madden curse. Since Polamalu was already hurt, instead it went after the other Samoan guy, then started taking out the guys you need most on the offense.

Also, 6 weeks = end of season. So in the last two years, Batch has managed to take four regular-season snaps and suffer two season-ending injuries. I think he's done.

Kvnfaber
11-23-2009, 11:07 AM
Dixon has been patient. This is his chance to secure our #2 spot for the future.

Bluedust
11-23-2009, 11:09 AM
Time to grab Jeff Garcia or trust in Dixon. lol

Rick5895
11-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Time to grab Jeff Garcia or trust in Dixon. lol

I was just about to say, Bring on Garcia if this is true.

Texasteel
11-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Oh well, now Dixon will be active on gameday and can finally be used in the "Wildcat" or as a KR/PR or WR as most on this board thought he should be doing.

:wantsome: You were saying?

drucifer
11-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Time to send Batch to IR and pick up a FA. Oh, and don't call AARP for a referral.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Where's Tommy Gun??? :rofl:

supa_fly_steeler
11-23-2009, 11:32 AM
It's time for dennis to show why he was a trophy candidtate and not matt ryan and the others...

the kid is dangerous on the run, he's a good player, he's also more accurate than most dual threats who cant pass for shit.

plenewken
11-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Kordell, maybe? :rofl:

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Source: Steelers talking about Garcia with Batch hurt

The Pittsburgh Steelers are considering as many as six free agent quarterbacks as potential replacements for injured backup quarterback Charlie Batch, according to a league source, and one of them is veteran Jeff Garcia.

Batch is slated to undergo wrist surgery.

Another quarterback rumored to be on the Steelers' radar is Cleo Lemon.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlsberger was examined for a concussion, but appears to be okay.

The Steelers' third quarterback is former Oregon star Dennis Dixon.

Per our source, the Steelers are expected to conduct a Tuesday tryout as they examine their options with Batch sidelined.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Steelers-talking-about-Garcia-with-Batch-hurt.html

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 12:09 PM
You bring up a funny point. But it's also not funny. Our offense is very much like the offense Arians ran in Cleveland. Air it out and make a lot of mistakes. Same reason the Browns were knocked out of the playoffs way back then.

Yeah, but Arians offense won a Super Bowl last year, despite being ranked something like #23 in the NFL. :rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Source: Steelers talking about Garcia with Batch hurt

The Pittsburgh Steelers are considering as many as six free agent quarterbacks as potential replacements for injured backup quarterback Charlie Batch, according to a league source, and one of them is veteran Jeff Garcia.

Batch is slated to undergo wrist surgery.

Another quarterback rumored to be on the Steelers' radar is Cleo Lemon.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlsberger was examined for a concussion, but appears to be okay.

The Steelers' third quarterback is former Oregon star Dennis Dixon.

Per our source, the Steelers are expected to conduct a Tuesday tryout as they examine their options with Batch sidelined.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Steelers-talking-about-Garcia-with-Batch-hurt.html

Oh yeah!! I could handle seeing Jeff Garcia in B&G. He may be undersized and not have the deep arm, but he generally makes good decisions and fights to the last whistle.

SteeleReign
11-23-2009, 12:19 PM
How 'bout Steve Young? He thinks Big Ben & the Steelers are over-rated, soooo....bring 'ol Stevie in here and let him show us how it's done! :blah:

steelreserve
11-23-2009, 12:24 PM
Where's Tommy Gun??? :rofl:

Hiding in shame.

supa_fly_steeler
11-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Garcia is a decent player, why Oakland cut him i don't know, who would choose jamarcus russell as a #1 lol

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 01:28 PM
This is no joke.

Did you SEE Ben's eyes on the sidelines?

His brain was scrambled, no doubt.

MasterOfPuppets
11-23-2009, 01:28 PM
brian griese is available...:noidea:

steelerchad
11-23-2009, 01:36 PM
This should definately be it for Charlie. If he's respected by the players then let him help coach the QB's or something. I like the idea of Garcia. That guys been solid everywhere he's been. At the end of the season, I'd love to get Garcia or Lefttwich ( If the Bucs part ways on his 2 year deal) signed for a 3 or 4 year deal to back up Ben. At that point Ben will be 30-31 and it will be time to begin looking for his replacement in the draft. Whoever we get can learn under Ben for 2-3 years and then be ready to go. If Ben makes it to age 34 we will be lucky. That would be a 13 year career and he's taken alot of punishment in his first 6 years.

I just don't see Dixon as a feesable QB in our system. He's kind of skinny and frail. I like the idea of having a guy, who's been a starter in the league somewhere else being your #2 and then a young project like Dixon being #3.

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Garcia is a decent player, why Oakland cut him i don't know, who would choose jamarcus russell as a #1 lol

As I understand it, Garcia asked to be released because he had no faith in the Raiders' work ethic and ability.

I think he would be a VERY solid backup to have around. Despite his age, he's still a willing and capable QB.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-23-2009, 01:45 PM
This is no joke.

Did you SEE Ben's eyes on the sidelines?

His brain was scrambled, no doubt.

they said yesterday in the locker room his eyes were glassy and he was moving very slow..... When is someone going to tell him that if the QB is going to run with the football and if he is going to go down he needs to SLIDE not go to ground head first.

Isn't that in football 101? He does that ALL the time.

Anyone got Bubby Bristers phone #?

St33lersguy
11-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Season's over, no playoffs. No Troy, no smith, no ben or batch, this team can't protect a 10 point lead against the chiefs WITH ben. Maybe next year.

The_WARDen
11-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Season's over, no playoffs. No Troy, no smith, no ben or batch, this team can't protect a 10 point lead against the chiefs WITH ben. Maybe next year.

:wave:

SteelersMomma
11-23-2009, 02:11 PM

you should have FAITH! I know I still have faith that we can make it past this bumpy road we're currently on. I also have faith that the coaches will choose the best QB that they have to choose from. I still foresee us going to the playoffs despite all the injuries we have!! I'm just glad the rest of the teams are easier teams then the ones we have played already this season.

:tt02:

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 02:11 PM
they said yesterday in the locker room his eyes were glassy and he was moving very slow..... When is someone going to tell him that if the QB is going to run with the football and if he is going to go down he needs to SLIDE not go to ground head first.

The way that the defender was going at him, if he would have slid feet first, he probably would have got booted in the face anyway.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
So it looks like the Steelers' options at the moment (outside of Ben obviously) are Dennis Dixon, Jeff Garcia, or Cleo Lemon. Gah.

SteelersMomma
11-23-2009, 02:15 PM
So it looks like the Steelers' options at the moment (outside of Ben obviously) are Dennis Dixon, Jeff Garcia, or Cleo Lemon. Gah.

Hey at least we will have someone right? You never know the one they choose can be an awesome replacement and really shine on the steelers team. It sucks we have to look for a replacement QB from all the injuries but I have faith they will make a wise decision :).

Shoes
11-23-2009, 02:19 PM

I believe he was going for the first down.....that's why he went head first.

StainlessStill
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
First person I said to my dad when I heard this AWFUL news was

JEFF GARCIA. He has the credentials to be a Steeler and plays with that certain grit. I'd be very pleased if we took a look at Garcia. We'll see.

SCSTILLER
11-23-2009, 02:25 PM
Hey at least we will have someone right? You never know the one they choose can be an awesome replacement and really shine on the steelers team. It sucks we have to look for a replacement QB from all the injuries but I have faith they will make a wise decision :).

Isn't that how we found that one guy? What was his name? Oh yeah, Jeff Reed.

It stinks that we are in this position, but hopefully what you said will come true. I really see Cleo Lemon making it as a capable back up. Dang, never thought I'd say that.

Then again, for a quick bandaid to the problem, Garcia would be the man for the time being.

SteelersMomma
11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Isn't that how we found that one guy? What was his name? Oh yeah, Jeff Reed.

It stinks that we are in this position, but hopefully what you said will come true. I really see Cleo Lemon making it as a capable back up. Dang, never thought I'd say that.

Then again, for a quick bandaid to the problem, Garcia would be the man for the time being.

When you have faith anything is possible :) . Gosh now I sound like my Grandmother haha.

All that keeps going through my head right now is the song "Have a little faith in me" :toofunny:

St33lersguy
11-23-2009, 03:02 PM

Yeah we had someone during the late 80s to. That someone was Bubby Brister.
Dennis Dixon: Guy with no real game action since injuring his ACL, senior year at Oregon playing against the ravens defense, ungood.
Jeff Garcia: I know he has credentials but he's 39 years old and couldn't beat out Jamarcus Russell for a starting job.
Cleo Lemon: Are you serious, Cleo Lemon, I can't believe we're at the point where we are inviting CLEO LEMON for a visit, come on. The guy can't even compete in Div. II college ball. We are better off with Scott Mitchell and Kordell Stewart.

zsheik22
11-23-2009, 03:21 PM
I laughed, I cried, I posted.

AllD
11-23-2009, 03:32 PM
I would dig up Johnny Unitas and prop him up with a stick before I sent Cleo Lemon in to start. Just hike the ball at his head and let Mewelde Moore take it.

Maybe give Hines Ward a shot at this point.

FacemeIke
11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
"No matter who is out there the level of expectation is the same." - Mike Tomlin. Whoever we put out there just needs to get the job done and help us to a W, bottom line.

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 04:06 PM
does anyone know if batch injured his wrist in the post game hand shakes, or was it on that pussified toss on the short little 5 yd out route? that fluttered incomplete to the receivers shoestrings?

thanks for your many years batch, and be thankful that the steelers organization is very loyal to those who show loyalty, because we let the better back up qb go.

MACH1
11-23-2009, 04:11 PM
First person I said to my dad when I heard this AWFUL news was

JEFF GARCIA. He has the credentials to be a Steeler and plays with that certain grit. I'd be very pleased if we took a look at Garcia. We'll see.

They said on Sirius that he was on the Steelers radar.

T&B fan
11-23-2009, 05:36 PM
does anyone know if batch injured his wrist in the post game hand shakes, or was it on that pussified toss on the short little 5 yd out route? that fluttered incomplete to the receivers shoestrings?

thanks for your many years batch, and be thankful that the steelers organization is very loyal to those who show loyalty, because we let the better back up qb go.

mybe it was the last 2 yrs of holding a clip board . what was he makeing a yr any way ??

HometownGal
11-23-2009, 05:41 PM
mybe it was the last 2 yrs of holding a clip board . what was he makeing a yr any way ??

These are 2008 numbers, but even so - Batch is making $3,036,720 per season. :jawdrop: :shake02:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/salary

Tony - I agree with you 100%. Lefty sure would have come in handy right now. I never had a grind in my stomach when he came into game in relief of Ben or had to play an entire game or two.

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I told Lefty not to go - now he's sitting on the 3rd string bench making his $7.5M for two years.

stillers4me
11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
The first question that came to my mind was, if we had gotten the ball back yesterday, who was going to be our QB? :hunch:

T&B fan
11-23-2009, 06:04 PM
These are 2008 numbers, but even so - Batch is making $3,036,720 per season. :jawdrop: :shake02:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/pittsburgh-steelers/salary

Tony - I agree with you 100%. Lefty sure would have come in handy right now. I never had a grind in my stomach when he came into game in relief of Ben or had to play an entire game or two.

3+ dam I liked Batch and do think he will make a good QB coach . but that kind of cash should have been spent better IMO

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 06:14 PM

:chuckle: for all we know he coulda simply torn a ligament picking his nose or scratching himself.

HTG, i hate to admit it, but when batch came in i was dreading a sack and a fumble or a lame duck pass that was tipped and picked off.

Steeldude
11-23-2009, 06:18 PM
time to start looking for a 2nd string QB

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 06:20 PM
schefter just reported that the steelers arent interested in bringing in a veteran and are just looking for a practice squad player to get them through practice.

looks like ben is a go and dixon is #2.

HometownGal
11-23-2009, 06:22 PM
HTG, i hate to admit it, but when batch came in i was dreading a sack and a fumble or a lame duck pass that was tipped and picked off.

I know the feeling. :horror: He has the "happiest feet" I think I've ever seen in the black 'n gold. Don't get me wrong- Charlie's a very smart football player and one helluva great guy and teammate, but I was never impressed with his QB'ing skills and I get the heebie jeebies every time he has had to come into the game.

Kenny Anderson is the heir apparent to the OC position and I think if for some ridiculous (imho) reason Arians is relieved of his duties at some point down the road, Kenny will become the OC and most likely Charlie will become the QB coach.

devilsdancefloor
11-23-2009, 07:32 PM
The first question that came to my mind was, if we had gotten the ball back yesterday, who was going to be our QB? :hunch:

Hines? He is the only other guy i know that has QB experiance. Maybe Memo lol ugh who the hell is our emergency QB...

stillers4me
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Hines? He is the only other guy i know that has QB experiance. Maybe Memo lol ugh who the hell is our emergency QB...

James Harrison. :chuckle:

vindrow
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
damn, we should have signed Vick when we had the chance:chuckle:

NEPAsteeler
11-23-2009, 09:32 PM
As long as we beat the Ravens, I don't care who the QB is this week. We definitely need everyone healthy though... the injury bug is biting the Steelers BAD.