PDA

View Full Version : Steelers bring in Jeff Garcia

steelerchad
11-23-2009, 02:18 PM
With Batch out 6 weeks and Big Ben's condition uncertain for next week the Steelers are bringing in Garcia for a look. I was pretty surprised he didn't find a home this year. He is certainly better than a ton of backups out there. If they sign him and he plays well in a game or 2, he could be the answer at backup for the next 3 years or so. I think Charlie's done at his age.

If they do sign him and Big Ben can't go against Baltimore, who starts Sunday. Dixon, in his 3rd year with very little experience behind center in a live game or Garcia, with a ton of experience and some success but no knowledge of our system and players tendencies?

supa_fly_steeler
11-23-2009, 02:20 PM
I mix it up, the Ravens don't know about Dixon apart from his collegiate days, they have to gameplan more on DIxon if the pocket breaks down because he can run one off.

i wish we saw more of Dixon in the preseason so i would make a better judgement.

OneForTheToe
11-23-2009, 02:21 PM
They would have to go with Dixon, I think. Garcia would be the injury backup, or if Dixon struggles and we our behind ..........

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 02:23 PM
It's all in the Batch thread.

Source: Steelers talking about Garcia with Batch hurt

The Pittsburgh Steelers are considering as many as six free agent quarterbacks as potential replacements for injured backup quarterback Charlie Batch, according to a league source, and one of them is veteran Jeff Garcia.

Batch is slated to undergo wrist surgery.

Another quarterback rumored to be on the Steelers' radar is Cleo Lemon.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlsberger was examined for a concussion, but appears to be okay.

The Steelers' third quarterback is former Oregon star Dennis Dixon.

Per our source, the Steelers are expected to conduct a Tuesday tryout as they examine their options with Batch sidelined.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...atch-hurt.html

Shoes
11-23-2009, 02:26 PM
With Batch out 6 weeks and Big Ben's condition uncertain for next week the Steelers are bringing in Garcia for a look. I was pretty surprised he didn't find a home this year. He is certainly better than a ton of backups out there. If they sign him and he plays well in a game or 2, he could be the answer at backup for the next 3 years or so. I think Charlie's done at his age.

If they do sign him and Big Ben can't go against Baltimore, who starts Sunday. Dixon, in his 3rd year with very little experience behind center in a live game or Garcia, with a ton of experience and some success but no knowledge of our system and players tendencies?

I guess you know Garcia is 4 years older than Chuck :chuckle: It's time for Dixon to step in IMO......he's not gaining experience on the bench.

The_WARDen
11-23-2009, 02:42 PM
yuck yuck and yuck.....if Ben can't go, his bashers will see what life is like without him.

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 02:49 PM
yuck yuck and yuck.....if Ben can't go, his bashers will see what life is like without him.

Yup.

I hate when people trash Ben. In my opinion, he's THE reason the Steelers have won two Super Bowls this decade. In XLIII it can't be denied. He choked a bit in XL, but it was only his second year in the league and he was stellar in the playoffs leading up to it.

Steelboy84
11-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Interesting.

SteelCityMom
11-23-2009, 03:49 PM
I have mixed emotions about who should start. I'd like to see Dixon get a chance to show what he's made of, just not sure an important game against Baltimore is the game to do it in. Sure it would be a good learning experience (trial by fire more like it lol), but I'd only encourage it if it were in a situation where playoff standings weren't so much on the line.

I say start with Garcia (rather see him than Lemon), he at least has experience as a starter and would handle the pressure a little bit better I think.

Bng_Hevn
11-23-2009, 03:50 PM

If your starter was Brady Quinn and you had to turn to Dixon you'd be grateful for what you have in Quinn, much less Ben.

If Garcia is able to come up to speed, he will be more than capable.

SteelersMomma
11-23-2009, 03:53 PM
I have mixed emotions about who should start. I'd like to see Dixon get a chance to show what he's made of, just not sure an important game against Baltimore is the game to do it in. Sure it would be a good learning experience (trial by fire more like it lol), but I'd only encourage it if it were in a situation where playoff standings weren't so much on the line.

I say start with Garcia (rather see him than Lemon), he at least has experience as a starter and would handle the pressure a little bit better I think.

I agree. I think my biggest fear with Lemon is he might choke on the field. Not saying that he will but you never know until the day arises.

NJarhead
11-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I like Garcia....a lot. But, we'd likely have to rely on Dixon against the Ravens if Ben can't go. Unless they simplified the offense.

BlastFurnace
11-23-2009, 04:03 PM

If Dixon starts next weekend...we get shut out.

Dino 6 Rings
11-23-2009, 04:07 PM
If Dixon starts next weekend...we get shut out.

shut out? against that weak sauce defense?

Actually, If Dixon starts and we Simplify the offense, maybe Arians doesn't try to get too cute for his own good and we go with a steady run game offense, with some passing worked in off play action and some more screens to get the ball out quicker....you know...like we probably should be doing instead of a 5 wide set in the redzone on 1st fcking down!

Dino 6 Rings
11-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Oh, and for the record, I've never liked Jeff Garcia...he's been in the leauge since 99 and his carreer record as a starter is 58-58...he's average at best. I'd rather get the kid some reps and put up or shut up against the Ravens..

NJarhead
11-23-2009, 04:09 PM

Actually, If Dixon starts and we Simplify the offense, maybe Arians doesn't try to get too cute for his own good and we go with a steady run game offense, with some passing worked in off play action and some more screens to get the ball out quicker....you know...like we probably should be doing instead of a 5 wide set in the redzone on 1st fcking down!

They played pretty good yesterday and they know what's at stake in our game. Plus, it's the Ravens; they always bring it against us. Admittedly, I'm a little nervous about this one.

NJarhead
11-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Oh, and for the record, I've never liked Jeff Garcia...he's been in the leauge since 99 and his carreer record as a starter is 58-58...he's average at best. I'd rather get the kid some reps and put up or shut up against the Ravens..

Dude, he played with the Lions and the Bucs (even got the Bucs into the playoffs). He's a terribly underrated QB IMO.

I'd be curious what his record was in starts with the 49ers and Eagles.
What's Batch's record as a starter? Leftwich?

In any case, they've all won more games than Dennis Dixon.

Dino 6 Rings
11-23-2009, 04:13 PM
They played pretty good yesterday and they know what's at stake in our game. Plus, it's the Ravens; they always bring it against us. Admittedly, I'm a little nervous about this one.

Well we know darn well they've had this game circled since January of last year, and they have the t-shirts to prove that.

Whoever starts, I don't care at this point. Its up to our DEFENSE to finally win us a freaking game this season. They've let us down in all 4 of our Losses. 24 Points by the offense should be enough to beat the Chiefs.

Maybe the Offense was the let down in the 2nd Bengals game, but still, the defense needed to make stops yesterday, on that late 3rd and 9 up by 7 deep in their own end, and again in Overtime and didn't make the stops. They aren't generating the turnovers we need and are not getting the sacks like they did last season.

We need more from our defense, and we need it this Weekend.

AllD
11-23-2009, 04:15 PM
doesn;t matter who is at QB. Without #43 in the defense we got bupkis.

NJarhead
11-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Well we know darn well they've had this game circled since January of last year, and they have the t-shirts to prove that.

Whoever starts, I don't care at this point. Its up to our DEFENSE to finally win us a freaking game this season. They've let us down in all 4 of our Losses. 24 Points by the offense should be enough to beat the Chiefs.

Maybe the Offense was the let down in the 2nd Bengals game, but still, the defense needed to make stops yesterday, on that late 3rd and 9 up by 7 deep in their own end, and again in Overtime and didn't make the stops. They aren't generating the turnovers we need and are not getting the sacks like they did last season.

I have faith in our Defense to limit point against the Ravens struggling offense. I'm not going to take their defense lightly though, despite their struggling secondary (again, who played well against P. Manning and Co.).

Do you realize that if we gave up zero PR/KR for TD's this year we are undefeated? I'm concerned about our ST's coverage. They aren't exactly oozing with confidence these days. In fact, with just about any other ST's unit in football, we are likely in first place in our division and undefeated in our division. :banging:

Anyway....here's to victory on Sunday; one way or another. :drink:

steelerchad
11-23-2009, 04:26 PM
I guess you know Garcia is 4 years older than Chuck :chuckle: It's time for Dixon to step in IMO......he's not gaining experience on the bench.

I guess he would only be a band aid for this year. I Had no idea that dude is almost 40. It didn't seem like he had been in the league that long so I checked and he's 2 months older than me. Hell I hurt getting out of bed in the morning after doing a day of yard work.

I Didn't realize he was undrafted and played 5 years in the CFL, that may be why I thought he was younger than he really is.

zsheik22
11-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I guess he would only be a band aid for this year. I Had no idea that dude is almost 40. It didn't seem like he had been in the league that long so I checked and he's 2 months older than me. Hell I hurt getting out of bed in the morning after doing a day of yard work.

I Didn't realize he was undrafted and played 5 years in the CFL, that may be why I thought he was younger than he really is.

The soon to be NFL MVP is 40 years old. Keep on truckin' Favre!

BlastFurnace
11-23-2009, 04:27 PM

Yes. If Dixon starts for us, we do not score an offensive point. The Ravens are like we are...a cornered team that will come after us with everything they have next week.

I wish we would simplify the offense with Ben in there and get rid of this pass happy offense at all times during the game. There is a time to run and t his team needs to understand that. Unfortunately, they don't.

Dino 6 Rings
11-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Dude, he played with the Lions and the Bucs (even got the Bucs into the playoffs). He's a terribly underrated QB IMO.

I'd be curious what his record was in starts with the 49ers and Eagles.
What's Batch's record as a starter? Leftwich?

In any case, they've all won more games than Dennis Dixon.

Batch as a starter is 22-28.

Lefty is 24-22 as a starter

Garcia = with the Niners 35-36
with the Eagles 5-1
with the Bucs 14-10
with Cleveland 3-7
with Detroit 1-4

DoubleSh0t
11-23-2009, 04:31 PM
I watched Garcia play in Philly. The whole city basically rallied around him to bring them a Super Bowl victory. He's definitely a capable quarterback in a good system (which we have here). I'd feel very good about him filling in for Ben if necessary.

SMR
11-23-2009, 04:32 PM
I'd go with Dixon first and if he gags, bring in Garcia. I've got a good feeling about Dixon, I just do. There is something about him IMO.

StainlessStill
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
NO WAY Dixon can handle a starting OR #2 role AT THIS POINT. The logical choice is OBVIOUSLY Garcia who is a savvy vet who plays with grit and has won big games before. No way, no how the Steelers let Dixon take over #2 in only his second season. He was #3 for a reason. He is our future #2 but Garcia is the right way to go for a quick fix up.

NJarhead
11-23-2009, 04:34 PM
Batch as a starter is 22-28.

Lefty is 24-22 as a starter

Garcia = with the Niners 35-36
with the Eagles 5-1
with the Bucs 14-10
with Cleveland 3-7
with Detroit 1-4

Forgot about Cleveland. But see, with a good team around him he can win. Dixon is an unknown. I think Garcia is a lot like Ben: Unorthodox, scrambler (albeit not as strong, but quicker), competitive and a winner. He'd be great insurance for the remainder of this season. I hope we're lucky enough to get him.

StainlessStill
11-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Everyone is jumping the gun at this point. I think Ben will be just fine and that he will indeed play against the Ravens. We are in a made predicament for the backup job and this is something that is most important of all.. depth. Hopefully the coaching staff makes the right decision, because if Ben goes down, we are CERTAINLY in trouble anyway you look at it.

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Everyone is jumping the gun at this point. I think Ben will be just fine and that he will indeed play against the Ravens.

Let's hope - too early to tell

Roethlisberger's condition to be determined

KANSAS CITY Medical tests will determine whether Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's head injury in Sunday's overtime loss will keep him out of next weekend's showdown with the Baltimore Ravens.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Roethlisberger sustained a "concussion-oriented thing." Tomlin said Roethlisberger probably would not have returned to the game if the Steelers had taken possession again.

"He took a blow," Tomlin said. "We will have more information as we proceed."

Roethlisberger showered and dressed with teammates, an indication the injury did not require immediate medical attention. He did not talk to reporters after the game.

Roethlisberger has had two concussions in NFL play in October 2006 against the Atlanta Falcons and in December 2008 against Cleveland plus one in a June 2006 motorcycle accident, in which he also had facial injuries.

A concussion diagnosis would require him to pass a battery of tests this week before getting medical clearance to play against the Ravens

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_654529.html

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Everyone is jumping the gun at this point. I think Ben will be just fine and that he will indeed play against the Ravens. We are in a made predicament for the backup job and this is something that is most important of all.. depth. Hopefully the coaching staff makes the right decision, because if Ben goes down, we are CERTAINLY in trouble anyway you look at it.
i thought ben would be just fine in 06 after he took a blow to the head vs. the falcons and was cleared to play against the lowly raiders.

that year the sorriest team in the nfl got one of their 2 wins and kept the defensing champions out of the playoffs.

eerily familiar....

except this time its the ravens who will have a permanent bounty out on ben.

HawaiianSixRings
11-23-2009, 05:51 PM
I've read that the Stillers will bring in 6 QB's for auditions today and I'm anxious to see who there are. One of the QB's is supposed to be Cleo Lemon, the former starter for the Dolphins. We'll see...........

Psyychoward86
11-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I'll take Garcia over Lemon over Dixon if Ben isnt starting. God i hope Ben and Batch are ok....

Worst case scenario is Dixon starting. I love how he's been developing in preseason, but i dont think he's ready to face a Ravens defense in his first career start. Even though the ravens wouldnt have Suggs, and a porous pass defense, they would be too much for Dixon

Christian Snyder
11-23-2009, 05:59 PM
I like the idea of Garcia.... He did pretty good for the Eagles while Donovan Mcnabb was injured in '05.

T&B fan
11-23-2009, 06:00 PM
Yup.

I hate when people trash Ben. In my opinion, he's THE reason the Steelers have won two Super Bowls this decade. In XLIII it can't be denied. He choked a bit in XL, but it was only his second year in the league and he was stellar in the playoffs leading up to it.

True but we never even play in the SB with out him both yrs

yup give him a chance .. my bet Ben starts

Spidey
11-23-2009, 06:02 PM
I'd be pretty pissed if I was Dixon and someone who doesn't know the system just waltzes in and takes the job.

Dixon showed enough in pre-season to suggest he may be good enough to lead this team.

Got to get him some reps, learn on the job, didn't hurt Ben.

Plus he's athletic enough to escape the pocket.

Won't happen anyway, as Ben will play I reckon!

Preacher
11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Yes. If Dixon starts for us, we do not score an offensive point. The Ravens are like we are...a cornered team that will come after us with everything they have next week.

I wish we would simplify the offense with Ben in there and get rid of this pass happy offense at all times during the game. There is a time to run and t his team needs to understand that. Unfortunately, they don't.

:rofl:

A time to run? to RUN? When we are averaging under 3 yards a run with our starter?

Oooooooooooooooookayyyyyyyy.

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 06:07 PM
True but we never even play in the SB with out him both yrs

That was my point... say what you want about XL, but Ben was solid that whole season.

Anyway, I'm hoping that these QB auditions are solely for a new backup and Ben is good to go on Sunday, which may be the case. It sounds like Charlie is definitely out, while Ben is questionable at this point. And we do need someone to back up Ben at any given time.

solardave
11-23-2009, 06:07 PM

I never thought Garcia was a very dependable starter, much less a backup. I think I'd rather take our chances with Dixon and give Leftwich a call.

HometownGal
11-23-2009, 06:10 PM

Holy Mother of God - someone around here FINALLY gets it!!! :applaudit::thumbsup::drink:

Garcia can still play the game, but with very little time to get to know the offensive playbook, I'd see what Dixon can bring and keep Garcia on the sideline "JIC". I like Dixon and feel he can bring some spunk and versatility to the O.

P.S. Get well soon Ben - we're going to need you badly down the stretch.

Psyychoward86
11-23-2009, 06:11 PM
I never thought Garcia was a very dependable starter, much less a backup. I think I'd rather take our chances with Dixon and give Leftwich a call.

bucs...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
. He choked a bit in XL, but it was only his second year in the league and he was stellar in the playoffs leading up to it.

Better not worry about Garcia "choking"
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2GUs0CAaoMo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2GUs0CAaoMo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LVSteelersfan
11-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I hope Leftwitch is one of the 6 QBs. That is the only one that makes any sense at all since he was the backup last year. Garcia is one of those streaky QBs. He was good with good teams, bad with lousy teams. No big surprise there. Batch is toast and never should have been brought back this year. He almost threw a pick 6 out there in the flat. Reminisent of Maddox. Our D does need to play solid and put Flacco on his backo. We just don't look very good without Troy out there. I saw several plays he would have stopped for losses in their backfield. Troy, please come back. We miss you. Carter is ok but not the one you want out there in crunch time.

Christian Snyder
11-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I hope Leftwitch is one of the 6 QBs. That is the only one that makes any sense at all since he was the backup last year. Garcia is one of those streaky QBs. He was good with good teams, bad with lousy teams. No big surprise there. Batch is toast and never should have been brought back this year. He almost threw a pick 6 out there in the flat. Reminisent of Maddox. Our D does need to play solid and put Flacco on his backo. We just don't look very good without Troy out there. I saw several plays he would have stopped for losses in their backfield. Troy, please come back. We miss you. Carter is ok but not the one you want out there in crunch time.
Leftwich plays for the Buccaneers (spelling?).

BlastFurnace
11-23-2009, 06:31 PM
:rofl:

A time to run? to RUN? When we are averaging under 3 yards a run with our starter?

Oooooooooooooooookayyyyyyyy.

:rofl: at your thoughts as well

Oooooooooooooooookayyyyyyyy

Fire Haley
11-23-2009, 06:31 PM
I hope Leftwitch is one of the 6 QBs.

He's still signed with Tampa - no luck there.

supa_fly_steeler
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Cant Leftwhich just leave the team?

Come back BYRON!

LVSteelersfan
11-23-2009, 06:41 PM
He's still signed with Tampa - no luck there.

Oops. I thought someone said earlier that Tampa released him. My bad. Garcia is ten times better than Cleo Lemon could ever think of being. I think Bradshaw can still play.

Christian Snyder
11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Oops. I thought someone said earlier that Tampa released him. My bad. Garcia is ten times better than Cleo Lemon could ever think of being. I think Bradshaw can still play.
Agreed.... Cleo Lemon is horrible.

Super Fan
11-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Ben will be fine.He will start..............Take it to the bank.........

Steeldude
11-23-2009, 07:35 PM
i would pick garcia over dixon everyday of the week. it's a no-brainer.

HawaiianSixRings
11-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Just read that the Steelers will bring in some QB's.....most notably Jeff Garcia, Cleo Lemon and our local boy Tyler Palko.

Nighthawk
11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
I'm sure Ben will start

but WHAT is with the DIXON hate? You guys swear this kid in inept or something - we've barely seen him play. He's sat behind Ben/Batch/Lefty the past couple of years and more than likely learned quite a bit. What "inside" information do you genius' have that you can share with the rest of the forum why he would be unable to successfully run our offense? You act like because he's never started in a NFL game before he's obviously not ready to ever do it. I mean half of this forum was rallying for the kid to be put in the #2 spot before the season started so we could use his versatility. What's with the sudden doom and gloom change.

Personally I'd rather Dixon starts if Ben can't go initially. He knows our offense and will have more rapport with the players. Sign whomever the team feels best to sign as our 3rd stringer and give him a crash course on our offense. Let Dixon start and if he fails horribly then you can give the 3rd stringer a chance - but chances are most of the guys they bring in are failed QB's and only one of the two named qb's (Jeff Garcia) would I trust to run our team successfully.

devilsdancefloor
11-23-2009, 08:12 PM
i do not want a repeat of the raiders game tony mentioned earlier. BEN take a seat! Dixon might surprise us all let him play! Garcia can back up until he knows the system it isnt like everywhere else he has been the west coast Offense

Christian Snyder
11-23-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm sure Ben will start

but WHAT is with the DIXON hate? You guys swear this kid in inept or something - we've barely seen him play. He's sat behind Ben/Batch/Lefty the past couple of years and more than likely learned quite a bit. What "inside" information do you genius' have that you can share with the rest of the forum why he would be unable to successfully run our offense? You act like because he's never started in a NFL game before he's obviously not ready to ever do it. I mean half of this forum was rallying for the kid to be put in the #2 spot before the season started so we could use his versatility. What's with the sudden doom and gloom change.

Personally I'd rather Dixon starts if Ben can't go initially. He knows our offense and will have more rapport with the players. Sign whomever the team feels best to sign as our 3rd stringer and give him a crash course on our offense. Let Dixon start and if he fails horribly then you can give the 3rd stringer a chance - but chances are most of the guys they bring in are failed QB's and only one of the two named qb's (Jeff Garcia) would I trust to run our team successfully.
I just don't think you test a QB against the Ravens.

Nadroj 20
11-23-2009, 08:13 PM
I'm sure Ben will start

I say if ben cant go we will see dixon, it will more then likely be in a shared role with garcia (should we bring him in) but i say he'll see the field and we will see some of that versatility....wildcat anyone? lol

SteelersMomma
11-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm sure Ben will start

you can't say Ben will play. Look at Brian Westbrook. Hes been out for three weeks due to a concussion. Ben wont be playing the next game. I guarantee they wont allow him to at least play one game due to his concussion.

Edit: I wanted to add that I would be very shocked if they do put ben in. After something like a concussion if he gets another one in a row it can put people into coma's. Even if he was well enough to play the Ravens will be all over him. I don't think it would be a very smart move on the Steelers to play him.

Nadroj 20
11-23-2009, 08:16 PM
I just don't think you test a QB against the Ravens.

True but Garcia doesnt even know our offense yet (shouldnt take him very long to get though)....this is why i think we'll see a combination of the two.

However ben may be cleared who knows lol we may not have to worry about this :chuckle:

beSteelmyheart
11-23-2009, 08:16 PM
It would be interesting to see Garcia in the Black & Gold...He seems to have alot of fight in him, he has a good work ethic & always keeps a positive attitude. But is he more of a west coast system guy? Would it matter?

Steeldude
11-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Personally I'd rather Dixon starts if Ben can't go initiall

you want a player who has never played a regular season down in the NFL as the starter over a veteran? :noidea:

steel-tex
11-23-2009, 09:33 PM
so what your saying is lets start a qb that has a few days practice with your offence and no time to study anything in the playbook and has not thrown a pass all year instead of a guy who has been on your team and practiced the system for 3 years and should know the playbook front to back ????? Dixon is your starter if ben is down - and on B.C. changing his game plan up for Dixon -- right he doesn't have it in him- look at the first play after ben went down - open backfield - why not call a run - batch just came in the game ?? B.C. didn't cut it in cleveland - now we get him woo hoo.......

Preacher
11-23-2009, 09:35 PM
:rofl: at your thoughts as well

Oooooooooooooooookayyyyyyyy

Its not enough to simply be adversarial. I am looking for reasons. I gave you a simple reason why wanting to run more is quite hilarious right now. Why is it you think it is advantageous with the performance of our players NOW, with teh injuries we have NOW and with the Ravens coming up this week who we historically cannot run against?

steel-tex
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
yep one that knows your system

HawaiianSixRings
11-23-2009, 09:43 PM
but WHAT is with the DIXON hate?

I agree!!! I went to CAL and I watch Pac Ten football. I saw Dennis Dixon just dominate and couldn't believe he lasted so long in the draft. I'm confident in him and I hope he will get a chance to shine.

KeiselPower99
11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
Not sure what Dixon can do until he plays.

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 09:48 PM
you can't say Ben will play. Look at Brian Westbrook. Hes been out for three weeks due to a concussion. Ben wont be playing the next game. I guarantee they wont allow him to at least play one game due to his concussion.

Edit: I wanted to add that I would be very shocked if they do put ben in. After something like a concussion if he gets another one in a row it can put people into coma's. Even if he was well enough to play the Ravens will be all over him. I don't think it would be a very smart move on the Steelers to play him.

This is a good point. You can't get a dirtier team than the Ratbirds and if Ben did have a concussion, they'll try to give him another one if they play him.

KeiselPower99
11-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Found this on twitter..

jimwexell Steelers will sign Palko to PS on Wednesday, according to SCI.com's MIke Prisuta. CFL procedures involved

Adam_Schefter PART 2: Steelers not looking to sign veteran QB, but a practice squad QB to take reps at practice this week. That's a sign Ben could be OK.

Adam_Schefter RT @bryanbrackney any truth about Jeff Garcia and Cleo Lemon tryouts <---False. No tryouts planned for either in Pittsburgh right now.

Nadroj 20
11-23-2009, 10:18 PM
Found this on twitter..

jimwexell Steelers will sign Palko to PS on Wednesday, according to SCI.com's MIke Prisuta. CFL procedures involved

Adam_Schefter PART 2: Steelers not looking to sign veteran QB, but a practice squad QB to take reps at practice this week. That's a sign Ben could be OK.

Adam_Schefter RT @bryanbrackney any truth about Jeff Garcia and Cleo Lemon tryouts <---False. No tryouts planned for either in Pittsburgh right now.

This could be good news and a sign ben might be ok

Lets hope anyway

madsteelerfan51
11-23-2009, 10:57 PM
When Jeff Garcia was witht he Eagles he was a great replacement, I really thought they were going to keep them on the team, but they let him go, Jeff has won many games and has proved him self and I think would be a great addition to our Steeler Team, not only that he is from Gilroy Ca, my home town, Hope to see him playing for the Steelers on Sunday :)

devilsdancefloor
11-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Its not enough to simply be adversarial. I am looking for reasons. I gave you a simple reason why wanting to run more is quite hilarious right now. Why is it you think it is advantageous with the performance of our players NOW, with teh injuries we have NOW and with the Ravens coming up this week who we historically cannot run against?

Call me crazy preacher, BUT i think we can run on this ravens D. I also think the middle of the field where hines and heath thrive will be open as well. For some reason i am not as worried about the ratbirds this year:noidea: . Call me a cheerleader or whatever you want at the moment, but i think we win out!! Yes this black and gold kool-aid taste fantastic!! We all should be getting behind our team at this time instead of saying but but but but... forget all that! It is time for all of steeler nation to stand up and make some noise! :tt05: :tt05: :tt05: :tt05:

O Sensei
11-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Surprised they're only bringing in palko for PS duty. I'm hoping dixon can do well but I'm not enthusiastic about it. The ravens still have a decent front 7 even without suggs (thanks brady). I will be stunned if they diagnose BBR as concussed and he plays as head injuries are high on the league radar right now, frankly with this being #4 potentially, I'd sit him for his own good and anyone that cares about him would say the same. As far as Dixon/garcia..... I just hope, for his sake, that dennis can still run his ass off, he may need to. Incidently....and don't get me wrong, I'm as big a big ben fan as there is....wallace will not have to wait on dixon's throws, so if the deep ball is there let the kid chuck it out and see if lightnin wallace can go get it. Based on what I saw at latrobe, dixon does have the strongest arm on the team.

eafratitpm3
11-24-2009, 12:30 AM
When Jeff Garcia was witht he Eagles he was a great replacement, I really thought they were going to keep them on the team, but they let him go, Jeff has won many games and has proved him self and I think would be a great addition to our Steeler Team, not only that he is from Gilroy Ca, my home town, Hope to see him playing for the Steelers on Sunday :)

My wife is from Gilroy also, we are huge Steeler fans living in Colorado Springs. We received a call from my Mother-In-Law tonight about Jeff might be a Steeler. My In-Laws know Jeff's parents well and talk to them quite frequently. GO STEELERS!!!

iloveben7
11-24-2009, 01:31 AM
What's with all the Dixon hate? Who knows, he may be a great QB in waiting. Did you all expect what Ben did when Maddox went down?

Angus Burgher
11-24-2009, 01:45 AM
I didn't see much of the preseason, but what I did see of Dixon looked decent. If Ben can't go, then yeah, they should probably start Dennis. Although I'm afraid with the way that our O-Line has been playing and his lack of experience playing the Ratbirds, he might get hurt.

As for Garcia, I think that signing a vet like him would be a great move... however, NFL.com is reporting that the Steelers are more likely to sign a youngster as the 3rd stringer and move Dennis up to the 2nd string spot.

I'm not so hot on that idea. Tomlin seems to be obsessed with giving young players an opportunity... that's not a bad thing necessarily, but they need to be coached and when they're not... well... you get our special teams unit.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 02:35 AM
there is no way in hell the steelers would sign a guy on tuesday and start him on sunday, unless his name is leftwich. they'd have to go so vanilla on offense that it would be a predictable disaster anyway. incase you guys have forgotten, dixon WAS most likely gonna win the #2 job had he not gotten hurt in preseason.

Steelers' coach Mike Tomlin told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that quarterback Dennis Dixon has a chance to become the team's number two quarterback. "What he is capable of doing above the neck is going to ultimately determine that," Tomlin told the paper. Dixon is battling with veteran Charlie Batch for the backup job.

Steelman16
11-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Dixon isn't as stupid as some of you all seem to think. I think we've been spoiled by Brett Favre and his jump straight into the starter position in Minnesota. And Jeff Garcia is nowhere on that level.

I think Ben will be fine. I expect he'll start, but I'm not sure what to expect after that. He usually gets pounded by Baltimore, and their players aren't afraid to play a little dirty with a quarterback now and then.

I haven't heard anything concerning Kemo. I missed the first half, what exactly put him on the sideline? I think I'd be more worried about my line than who was behind it. Seeing three guys in different positions during that series against the Chiefs was somewhat disconcerting. Glad Starks went back in.

At this point, we're only covering the backup quarterback position. If it does come down to choosing from the backups to start on Sunday, Dixon will start, and whoever is brought in will be on stand-by. A healthy dose of an eager Mendenhall should help counterbalance the inadequacy at quarterback.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 02:53 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Backup QB Charlie Batch broke his left wrist on his second and final pass attempt against the Chiefs and is scheduled to have surgery that likely will end his season. That means Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round draft choice in 2008 who has appeared in one NFL game, will become the top backup to Ben Roethlisberger.

Batch had four plays after replacing Roethlisberger, who was kneed in the head in overtime and did not return. However, it appears Roethlisberger is fine, and he is expected to play Sunday night at Baltimore.

The Steelers were considering working out a veteran quarterback if it looked as though Roethlisberger might not play against the Ravens. Now, in all likelihood, they will probably sign a quarterback to their practice squad, not the 53-man roster. They are considering former Pitt QB Tyler Palko, who was with Arizona in the preseason.

Dixon is an athletic quarterback with a strong arm, but he is still learning the offense and the play-calling would have top be scaled back for him. ...

SS Troy Polamalu (knee) is not expected to play Sunday. Of the seven pass plays of 30 yards or longer allowed this season, all have come without Polamalu on the field. --Gerry Dulac
i would think being 11 weeks into your second year you should have a pretty descent grasp of the playbook ....
i think tylor palko is playing in the cfl.... he looked pretty sharp in the arizona pre season game against pitt. i'm suprised he couldn't hook up with a team he looked a hell of a lot better than the bum we had in camp.

Galax Steeler
11-24-2009, 04:45 AM
I hope we don't have to worry with none of this. Hopefully Ben's injury is not a bad one and he can start on Sunday night. It would be great if we could get a running game a going and take some pressure off of whoever is quarterback.

stillers4me
11-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Me, I'd feel better if they signed a vetern backup for the remainder of the season, with Dixon as the third for now.

But hey, injuries to our starting QB and the backup could never happen to Pittsburgh leaving us with a the 3rd, really inexperienced guy as the starting quarterback. Nah.............never in a million years.........nope, couldn't possibly happen. uh...huh.........

I'm not hating on Dixon or anything. I'd just feel a lot better for the remainder of this season if we had to play a vetern backup for a half a game like Byron stepped in last year. That worked out rather well. It's quite possible that Dixon could do it, too. I'm just thinking about my poor old heart.........

Tone's Toes
11-24-2009, 06:59 AM
I don't care about Garcia. He's washed up, imo. We are doomed if Ben can't stay on the field.

I like Dixon and I'm thrilled that Palko is apparently going to get signed to the PS.

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 07:35 AM
For some reason i am not as worried about the ratbirds this year:noidea: . Call me a cheerleader or whatever you want at the moment, but i think we win out!! Yes this black and gold kool-aid taste fantastic!! We all should be getting behind our team at this time instead of saying but but but but... forget all that! It is time for all of steeler nation to stand up and make some noise! :tt05: :tt05: :tt05: :tt05:
I feel the same way... I think we'll beat the Ravens TWICE this year! GO STEELERS!!! :tt05::sign02:

arge5809
11-24-2009, 07:47 AM
I agree. I think my biggest fear with Lemon is he might choke on the field. Not saying that he will but you never know until the day arises.

I would be more worried that the fans might SOUR on him if he plays badly....

:sofunny: :flap: :toofunny: :rofl: :chuckle:

sherlock
11-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Give Dixon a go,he should know the plays and,when he was on the field,he played pretty well in the pre-season.:noidea:

Borski
11-24-2009, 03:28 PM
I'd rather go with Dixon, I'm not opposed to bringing another guy in, but only as an emergency QB, Dixon earned my faith in preseason.

MACH1
11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
They still need to bring in a third qb. If Ben does go down for an extended period of thime. Batch is gone for the season and that only leaves us with Dixon. And if he were to get hurt who doe's that leave us with?

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 03:36 PM
They still need to bring in a third qb. If Ben does go down for an extended period of thime. Batch is gone for the season and that only leaves us with Dixon. And if he were to get hurt who doe's that leave us with? ken anderson ? he ain't much older than farve...:noidea:

Borski
11-24-2009, 03:43 PM
They still need to bring in a third qb. If Ben does go down for an extended period of thime. Batch is gone for the season and that only leaves us with Dixon. And if he were to get hurt who doe's that leave us with?

Ward played some QB in college

AllD
11-24-2009, 03:56 PM
I hope we don't have to worry with none of this. Hopefully Ben's injury is not a bad one and he can start on Sunday night. It would be great if we could get a running game a going and take some pressure off of whoever is quarterback.

Ben has been taking so many hits that Fathead is putting out a new decal of him being sacked.

steel striker
11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Well I think Ben will be fine against the rats but, if he is not I say lets go with Dixon after all we drafted him. The steelers ceratinly saw something in him to draft this guy and, he was a playmaker in college. I know that was college but, atleast he should know the offense. Now I would be lying if I said i was not worried about our banged up oline I'M WORRIED! This is the game for our guys to stand up and make a statement that we are the champs and, we our going to defend all the way back to the sb. Back to Ben everyone here knows that BB would lobby to play no matter what and, I just hope our oline can protect him.

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 08:42 PM
ken anderson ? he ain't much older than farve...:noidea:
Farve?????:huh: You shouldn't disrespect the Brett Favre:nono:

Brett Favre.

eafratitpm3
11-25-2009, 12:15 AM
I here all this Dixon did a great job in Pre Season, I think I remember another current Steeler that had a great Pre Season named Logan, we haven't seen him since.

MasterOfPuppets
11-25-2009, 12:19 AM
I here all this Dixon did a great job in Pre Season, I think I remember another current Steeler that had a great Pre Season named Logan, we haven't seen him since. i don't know if i'd call it "great" , but it was good. it took him a few passes to find a rythme, but he threw some nice balls.

fansince'76
11-25-2009, 12:19 AM
I here all this Dixon did a great job in Pre Season, I think I remember another current Steeler that had a great Pre Season named Logan, we haven't seen him since.

Yeah, I mean he's only ranked 3rd in the league in KO return yardage.

Kaeg
11-25-2009, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I mean he's only ranked 3rd in the league in KO return yardage.

Yea! 3rd in the league as absolutely unacceptable! He should be at least ranked 1st! Maybe even better! :wink02:

StainlessStill
11-25-2009, 09:34 AM

You do realize that Logan is BY FAR, above and beyond the best kick returner we've had since Rod Woodson? His averages are through the roof and he has shown many more times than one glimpses of completely owning this role. He gives us a helliuva average and the past few games we have been averaging the ball at atleast the 30-35-39 yard lines which is killer.

Of course, there's a lot more to it that plays into taking one back every time he touches the ball, but it sure would be nice to see him rip one off and break one, which he is certainly itching for and judging by the way he bangs up in there, he WILL break one soon. Patience, Logan is having helluva season.

HawaiianSixRings
11-25-2009, 11:14 AM
You do realize that Logan is BY FAR, above and beyond the best kick returner we've had since Rod Woodson? His averages are through the roof and he has shown many more times than one glimpses of completely owning this role. He gives us a helliuva average and the past few games we have been averaging the ball at atleast the 30-35-39 yard lines which is killer.

Of course, there's a lot more to it that plays into taking one back every time he touches the ball, but it sure would be nice to see him rip one off and break one, which he is certainly itching for and judging by the way he bangs up in there, he WILL break one soon. Patience, Logan is having helluva season.

I agree. I think Logan is awesome as a kickoff returner. He always seems to make the first guy miss. Unfortunately, after the first guy, there seems to be 3-4 people that swarm all over him. With decent blocking, I'm certain he could of took a couple back to the house. Now, as for his kick off coverage.......:banging:

SteelersTilIDie
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM
If they sign him and he plays well in a game or 2, he could be the answer at backup for the next 3 years or so. I think Charlie's done at his age.

He's older than batch

Angus Burgher
11-25-2009, 01:34 PM

I agree, Logan's been pretty good, at least on returns.

However, I think the problem here is that the returner on the other team (whichever one we play) takes it to the house at least once a game, so it kind of overshadows what Logan's been able to do. Unfortunately though, since Logan also plays both sides of special teams, he shoulders some of the blame for missing tackles on kickoffs as well.

It also doesn't help that he had two big turnovers when returning kickoffs... the one at the end of the game in Chicago proved disasterous as there was enough time left on the clock that the offense might have been able to score if it had gotten on the field. The San Diego strip could have been equally disasterous if the offense hadn't racked up so many points in that game.