PDA

View Full Version : Ravens to distribute their version of the "Terrible Towel"

mesaSteeler
11-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Ravens to distribute their version of the "Terrible Towel"
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2009/11/ravens_to_distribute_their_version_of_the_terrible _towel.html

In an effort to rival the “Terrible Towels” brandished by Pittsburgh Steelers fans, the Ravens have partnered with UnderArmour and the Wounded Warrior Project to distribute purple-and-white rally towels to the more than 71,000 fans attending Sunday night’s game against the Steelers.

The towels display the Ravens’ logo, UnderArmour’s logo and the company’s slogan “Protect This House” and an emblem for the Wounded Warrior Project, which raises awareness for severely injured service members.

"Our fans are committed and exceptionally passionate," said Ravens vice president of corporate sales and partnerships Mark Brudett, who also encouraged fans to wear purple. "It’s important that every Ravens fan who attends the game gets a towel and displays it proudly. We want there to be a sea of purple and white, so the national audience can witness Baltimore’s excitement and dedication to its team."

(The Ratbird version of the Terrible Towel? Now there must be a toilet paper shortage in B-more. - mesa)

stillers4me
11-23-2009, 07:52 PM
We want there to be a sea of purple and white, so the national audience can witness Baltimore’s excitement and dedication to its team."

So that's why they have to give them away. :hunch:

Hasn't this been done before?

JoeFlax
I'm not in favor of this at all.. so unoriginal of us. I certainly won't buy or get one

WindyCitySteelerFan
Another giveaway... . Sad. Ask $5 for the Ravens towel, they'd NEVER buy it.

Texasteel
11-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Not only a cheap imitation, but a blatant attempt to make a little advertising money.

Texasteel
11-23-2009, 07:56 PM

By every jealous team wishing they were in Black and Gold.

Nighthawk
11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
At least they're getting it semi-close and putting a cause behind the towel... Now if they'd just sell them and donate all the proceeds to charity it'd be worthy of copying the :tt04:

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Wow what an "original" idea by the rat birds....

Wish we had something like that.... :tt02:

Christian Snyder
11-23-2009, 08:15 PM
WOW, the Ravens sure are creative... It ain't like no one else has anything like that.:tt05:

beSteelmyheart
11-23-2009, 08:31 PM
Ugh. Here we go again. Another lame copy-cat attempt.

saveus1011
11-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Didn't Washington try this last year? Remember how well that worked out?

MasterOfPuppets
11-23-2009, 08:43 PM
is there no end to these hacks ? :rolleyes:

SteelerEmpire
11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
U got to be freakin kiddin me ........

Steel Duck
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Just reminding everyone of what the ratbirds did with our towel..............

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3YPudFC7cQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_3YPudFC7cQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Man..what I wouldn't give to get my hands on one of theirs!!!! I could think of some really cool ways of destroying it on cam!!!!!!!!!! So, if someone could get me on, that would be great!!!!!
:tt04::tt02::tt::tt03:

HometownGal
11-23-2009, 09:45 PM
http://www.clipartguide.com/_named_clipart_images/0511-0901-0415-4811_Purple_Toilet_Paper_clipart_image.jpg

msafford
11-23-2009, 10:08 PM
Ugh. Here we go again. Another lame copy-cat attempt.

Lame, yes. Not quite as lame as the "Trophy Towel" from the playoffs last year. WTF was that anyway?

NEPAsteeler
11-23-2009, 10:11 PM
Aw man... I love UnderArmour stuff... why'd they have to team up with the Ratbirds? :doh:

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 10:23 PM
LOL, what a bunch of posers.

chucoblack&gold
11-23-2009, 10:53 PM
damn, there's no shaking off these ratbirds! Always trying to be like the Steelers in some way or another.:doh::pity:

Ravnet
11-23-2009, 11:43 PM
Virtually no Ravens fans like this idea.

hammy36
11-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Another showing of the infamous "horrible hankie". I respect the Ravens way too much for this kind of action...come on guys.

jev7452
11-24-2009, 12:20 AM
yeah im actually really surprised that the ravens organization thought that it would be a good idea to immitate something that their biggest rival is best known for... reminds me of the pretty little baby blue towels the titans were waving in the playoffs, and carolinas stupid "growl towel".. other teams can try but they will never, ever succeed when it comes to a towel that isnt black and gold :tt02::tt03::tt04::tt:

Shea
11-24-2009, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't mind them doing this if they had used this opportunity to charge maybe a buck or two for the towels, and then give the proceeds to our wounded warriors.

I know, even though it's a copycat situation, that if I was going through the admission line, I'd personally buy one just for the cause.

And then having it be a Raven's promotion, I would then proceed to blow my nose into these towels, toss it in the trash, feel good that I contributed to a worthy and important charity, and then find my seats to start cheering on my Steelers. :tt02:

And probably after a few beers, I'd give the crowd the Bud Adam's salute! (I'm kidding!)(I think......)

solardave
11-24-2009, 04:25 AM
Not only a cheap imitation, but a blatant attempt to make a little advertising money.
It looks more like a money deal than a dedication thing.If you think about it though. If you can't Be The Steelers,at least try to Act Like The Steelers.There will probably still be as many Terrible Towels at that game. Does anyone here think when they come into Hines field to play we'll see a bunch of those Barney Towels?:rofl:

solardave
11-24-2009, 04:28 AM
Virtually no Ravens fans like this idea.

If you are a true fan you shouldn't. To me it's an insult to fans.

Galax Steeler
11-24-2009, 05:15 AM
It seems like alot of teams are trying this. I don't see what the big deal is and why other teams try to copy our towel.

Crow-Magnon
11-24-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm not in favor of this at all.. so unoriginal of us. I certainly won't buy or get one

I agree. Fug that towel. Come up with something original.

In fact, come up with nothing. I don't need no stinkin' accessory to cheer my team on to victory.

steelballs
11-24-2009, 08:26 AM

Yes...just another version of the rat rag.

Another example of rat fan's "Steeler jealousy"...if you can't beat em' join em'.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-24-2009, 10:51 AM
They are crafty though

1) They know they won't be bought, so they give it away. Thats a minor league give away, by a 2nd rate team.
2) They know they will be overcome with Steelers fans to the tune of 60/40 Ravens, yet again on national tv embarrassing showing by the ravens fans and a 4th victory in 2 years by the Steelers.
3) They will try to paint the Steelers fans as trash, because they went an added the "Wounded Warrior" slogan on it. Thereby if we destroy their towel, we are stepping on the armed forces. Diabolitcal, yet a crafty move. Shows you the POS they are down there.

Lets end their season Sunday night.

Crow-Magnon
11-24-2009, 11:05 AM
They are crafty though

1) They know they won't be bought, so they give it away. Thats a minor league give away, by a 2nd rate team.
2) They know they will be overcome with Steelers fans to the tune of 60/40 Ravens, yet again on national tv embarrassing showing by the ravens fans and a 4th victory in 2 years by the Steelers.
3) They will try to paint the Steelers fans as trash, because they went an added the "Wounded Warrior" slogan on it. Thereby if we destroy their towel, we are stepping on the armed forces. Diabolitcal, yet a crafty move. Shows you the POS they are down there.

Lets end their season Sunday night.

Wow. You get awfully worked up over a scrap of terry cloth.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow. You get awfully worked up over a scrap of terry cloth.

Is the purple towel actually terry cloth......or is it Heatgear by Underarmour?? Its still lame and I am glad you guys recognize that.

All the crap aside, I worry about us without Polamalu and Ben playing sub par, post concussion with an undrafted rookie playing LG for us. I think the Steelers have to be underdogs going into this game.

Ravnet
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM

M&T isn't FedEx, buddy.

revefsreleets
11-24-2009, 02:59 PM
If they TRULY want a towel to represent Baltimore, it would be made out of black velvet, and have a picture of Elvis sitting on the toilet holding a pink flamingo on it...

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Let them wave their purple dishrags

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc283/usagold/balissteelco-1.jpg?t=1259093126

SteelersMongol
11-24-2009, 10:25 PM

Yeah, but it's 4 good cause. I mean they'd sponsor a project 4 the wounded veterans, right? Besides when all those opposing team fans R waiving their color, U gotta waive something in turn, otherwise it wouldn't look like home game, would it?

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Not sure about that...it's like saying you'd buy a candy bar from NAMBLA (North American Man/Boy Love Association) because they promised to donate part of the proceeds to the Salvation Army or something.

Anything the filthy Ratbirds touch is soiled and awful...

Christian Snyder
11-25-2009, 10:12 AM
Anything the filthy Ratbirds touch is soiled and awful... Anything the Ravens touched..... Is hazardous to your health and should be removed from your home by a Hazmat team. And if you come in contact with something the Ravens touched, you should call 911 or your life is in danger.

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2009, 10:18 AM
If it helps Wounded Soldiers, them I'm cool with them doing whatever they want to do in regards to hand outs. It won't matter on the field. We have a towel that goes back to the 1970s, its been successful and its actually very fan friendly, easy to carry, shows up well on TV, and what not. Its no surprise that a team that thinks themselves a "rival" would attempt to copy cat our success, on the field and in regards to fan support.

Crow-Magnon
11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Not sure about that...it's like saying you'd buy a candy bar from NAMBLA (North American Man/Boy Love Association) because they promised to donate part of the proceeds to the Salvation Army or something.

Anything the filthy Ratbirds touch is soiled and awful...

I think the towel idea is bad; too much like the Terrible Towel for my taste.

But your statement is pretty fricken' stoopid. Comparing the Ravens to NAMBLA shows your childishness.

You do know this is just a game in the great scheme of things, right? And I'm sure all those wounded vets the Wounded Warrior project supports will share your misguided point-of-view. :coffee:

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 10:30 AM

But your statement is pretty fricken' stoopid. Comparing the Ravens to NAMBLA shows your childishness.

You do know this is just a game in the great scheme of things, right? And I'm sure all those wounded vets the Wounded Warrior project supports will share your misguided point-of-view. :coffee:

And you do realize that this is an internet football message board, not the debate floor of the United Nations, right?

Lighten up, Francis....

stlrtruck
11-25-2009, 11:11 AM

While I may strongly dislike the 53 men that put the ratbirds uniform on, and laugh at the timing of such an event, I do respect the organization for teaming up with Vets and the Wounded Warrior project!

:applaudit: Kudos to the ratbirds on this one, but I'm sure they could have been more original.

Crow-Magnon
11-25-2009, 11:35 AM
While I may strongly dislike the 53 men that put the ratbirds uniform on, and laugh at the timing of such an event, I do respect the organization for teaming up with Vets and the Wounded Warrior project!

:applaudit: Kudos to the ratbirds on this one, but I'm sure they could have been more original.

Trust me, so do I. Ball caps, or T-shirts or anything at all BUT a towel.

Believe me, almost every Ravens fan I know believes this to be a great cause but the wrong decision was made to give out towels.

4G63
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Trust me, so do I. Ball caps, or T-shirts or anything at all BUT a towel.

Believe me, almost every Ravens fan I know believes this to be a great cause but the wrong decision was made to give out towels.

This.

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2009, 05:13 PM
is there the part where Steelers fans start inserting .gif files of Clark knocking the shiiiit out of that RB that the Ravens have or of Troy returning the INT for a TD in the AFC Title game?

Just wondering...

PurpleReign52
11-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Im pretty sure the Steelers weren't the first to wave around towels at sporting events

PurpleReign52
11-25-2009, 07:34 PM
is there the part where Steelers fans start inserting .gif files of Clark knocking the shiiiit out of that RB that the Ravens have or of Troy returning the INT for a TD in the AFC Title game?

Just wondering...

I could insert .gif files of Scott knocking the shit outta Roethlisberger or every play of both games in 2006 when we outscored you all 58-7 in 2 games. And dont say oh thats 3 years ago because its the same as you bringing up things from 2008. Theyre both history.

fansince'76
11-25-2009, 07:35 PM
I could insert .gif files of Scott knocking the shit outta Roethlisberger or every play of both games in 2006 when we outscored you all 58-7 in 2 games. And dont say oh thats 3 years ago because its the same as you bringing up things from 2008. Theyre both history.

Cool! Got the .gif of Scott whining like a little bitch after Hines "hit him too hard"? :coffee:

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Im pretty sure the Steelers weren't the first to wave around towels at sporting events

No, they weren't. Some college fans used to wave their dainty little handkerchiefs to show support for their team. That seems fitting for an organization that has the audacity to parade out these gentleman of highly questionable sexual orientation...

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Cheer/~/media/23FEA08A6597496C9F2BDC33C866FCA3.ashx

Crow-Magnon
11-25-2009, 09:54 PM
No, they weren't. Some college fans used to wave their dainty little handkerchiefs to show support for their team. That seems fitting for an organization that has the audacity to parade out these gentleman of highly questionable sexual orientation...

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Cheer/~/media/23FEA08A6597496C9F2BDC33C866FCA3.ashx

Even I must admit that photo is as effed up as Hogan's goat.

And that was one effed up goat.

Christian Snyder
11-25-2009, 10:36 PM

That's freaky that the Ravens have Male cheerleaders.

Ravnet
11-25-2009, 11:08 PM

:doh:

mesaSteeler
11-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Ravens' rally towels get lukewarm reception in locker room
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2009/11/ravens_rally_towels_get_lukewarm_reception_in_lock er_room.html

A few Ravens players sounded ambivalent about the distribution of Ravens’ rally towels for Sunday night’s game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Asked if he would be waving one of the towels, middle linebacker Ray Lewis said simply, “No.”

Wide receiver Derrick Mason said raising volume levels is more important than waving towels in the air. "The fans just need to make a lot of noise," he said. "I think the other stuff is just props here and there. I mean, you welcome them. I would love to see every flag waving."

Fellow wideout Mark Clayton was a bit more enthusiastic about the towels. "Honestly, when we were in Pittsburgh for a Monday night game and they had those towels going, that was awesome," he said. "It felt like a college atmosphere, electric-like. That was tight. So Sunday night, if we can get it rocking and the music’s going with the cameras all over the place and our fans have got their towels rolling, that’s outstanding."

tony hipchest
11-27-2009, 09:25 PM
theres a huge reason other teams "prowl towels" or whatever the hell they call em are a failure.

they are practically invisible. they blend in with all the visual static and definitely dont translate well (or even show up) on telivision.

i guarantee you if 50,000 fans in baltimore waves hot pink towels, it would show up. it would be seen. but they will be waving purple towels. many of the fans wear purple. their towels will blend in like camouflage.

steelerfans are usually wearing their teams home colors (black) and the away jerseys are white.

visually, the yellow towels stand out like a sore thumb compared to the backdrop.

theres a reason why so many fans who have never even been to pittsburgh, or will maybe never attend a game, still own a terrible towel. they see them, they advertise themselves, and they represent tradition.

you would think the marketing directors would see their lame attempts to copy as nothing but a fail, or atleast plan it a little better with a product that would actually stand out and make someone notice.

:tt02:

SteelCityMom
11-27-2009, 09:43 PM

Actually, they are pretty damn close to being the first. The only other sports team that is widely documented to have fans using towels before Pittsburgh was Western Kentucky University (E. A. Diddle began carrying a red towel with him during the basketball games he coached. Diddle would wave and throw the towel during games, and the concept was adopted by fans of the college. It became an official part of the school logo in 1971).

Dolphins fans used to wave white hankies, but that was deemed too dainty so they stopped it.

mesaSteeler
11-27-2009, 10:07 PM
"i guarantee you if 50,000 fans in Baltimore waves hot pink towels, it would show up. "

Good color choice for the Ratbirds. Goes well their putrid purple.

Ravnet
11-28-2009, 06:23 AM
i guarantee you if 50,000 fans in baltimore waves hot pink towels, it would show up. it would be seen. but they will be waving purple towels. many of the fans wear purple. their towels will blend in like camouflage.

Do you know that for a fact? The towels were actually white when we played Indy in the playoffs two years ago.

I think the towels work especially well for the Steelers because Pittsburgh fans are willing to wave their rags all game due to the "tradition."

GoSlash27
11-28-2009, 07:55 AM
The towels, no matter what their color, will always scream "Here we go, Steelers".
The towel is a Pittsburgh tradition. Apparently, so is the idea "let's try to out-Steeler fan the Steeler fans.
I wonder why it is these other teams can't find something more original. :noidea:
They could go with flashing purple LEDs, or thunder sticks, or even just jingling their car keys, but they always go for the towel... :doh:

Christian Snyder
11-28-2009, 09:40 AM
The towels, no matter what their color, will always scream "Here we go, Steelers".
The towel is a Pittsburgh tradition. Apparently, so is the idea "let's try to out-Steeler fan the Steeler fans.
I wonder why it is these other teams can't find something more original. :noidea:
They could go with flashing purple LEDs, or thunder sticks, or even just jingling their car keys, but they always go for the towel... :doh:
They always chose to copy our towel because they know the Steelers have a good thing going.

:tt05:

GoSlash27
11-28-2009, 11:24 AM
They always chose to copy our towel because they know the Steelers have a good thing going.
I think they get that the towel is important, but they don't seem to get the "why" behind it. They always propose their versions of the towel in the context of a demonstration of support for their team or intimidation of opposing fans, etc.
They don't seem to grasp the concept that we don't wave those towels for their benefit, but for our own.

We don't wave those towels in M&T Bank in order to offend Ravens fans or to make it seem like our numbers are inflated or even to cheer on our team. We wave those towels because they serve as our connection to the Steelers, our talisman, our flag, and our totem.
Myron gave us these towels, and we have twirled them for the last 35 years for the only reason that matters: We cherish them.
That sentiment can never be copied. :tt03:

As far as I am concerned, I hope they carry on their weird fascination with "Da Towl". Nothing undermines fan identity like transparent attempts to mimic another team. Those purple towels do nothing beyond reminding Ravens fans that their deep-rooted hatred for all things Steelers stems from an inferiority complex.

markymarc
11-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Like Charles Caleb Colton stated:

"Imitation is the sincerest of flattery."

FSUBoo
11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
What are they gonna call em, the Ratbird Rags???

tony hipchest
11-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Do you know that for a fact? The towels were actually white when we played Indy in the playoffs two years ago.
i just assumed they wouldnt unveil the pansy white surrender towels the chargers flirted with a few years ago. kudos to them if they do.

frm what i remember the chargerfans were felt a bit humilated waving that white towel. :tt04: havent seen them since. in fact, i cant recall the titans using their stupid powder blue rally towels again, either.

mesaSteeler
11-29-2009, 04:17 PM
What are they gonna call em, the Ratbird Rags???

Does that mean the Ratbirds are on the rag?