PDA

View Full Version : Bill Cowher

HawaiianSixRings
11-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Just read that Ralph Wilson will be contacting Bill Cowher and offer him the job.

As long as Cowher doesn't go to the Browns, I could care less. ( Supposedly, Cowher already spoke with the Rooney's and assured them that this will never happen )

Ralph Wilson is known to be a bit tight-fisted about paying coaches. I'm not sure if he can land a "big name" coach.

If Cowher goes back into coaching, I wonder if he could "tarnish" his legacy, especially if it doesn't work out. ( Remember George Siefert? )

BlastFurnace
11-23-2009, 07:56 PM
LOL... I can tell you one Bill that will not be on Bill's roster if this happens....T.O.

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 07:57 PM
As long as Cowher doesn't go to the Browns, I could care less. ( Supposedly, Cowher already spoke with the Rooney's and assured them that this will never happen )

yeah, well supposedly cowher also spoke to a group of used car salesmen in cleveland and told them he was going there for sure, and that cleveland was the best city in the world.

mark it down. he also predicted a sb berth in 3 years, or something like that.

he will build his defense around timmons, who will either be a bust and let go, or too expensive for us to keep.

:thumbsup:

devilsdancefloor
11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
yeah, well supposedly cowher also spoke to a group of used car salesmen in cleveland and told them he was going there for sure, and that cleveland was the best city in the world.

he will build his defense around timmons, who will either be a bust and let go, or too expensive for us to keep.

:drink::drink: have you been on a binge since yesterday:drink::drink::drink:

NJarhead
11-23-2009, 08:01 PM
Only problem I have with this is how quickly "Bill's Bills" will get worn out....yet continually used.

SteelersMomma
11-23-2009, 08:04 PM
he wont. I lived in raleigh at the time he retired and NC State tried to get him since he lives in the area. He declined and said he doesn't want to come out of retirement. He said he had a long haul with the Steelers and enjoyed it but he wants to have more time with his family.
I don't see him coming out of retirement for a long time (if he even does). He declines everyone who claims they are asking him.

HawaiianSixRings
11-23-2009, 08:13 PM

Cowher will never go to Cleveland, I'm sure of it.

Yeah, great, reliable sources from used car salesmen in Cleveland. I trust them with my life. :rofl:

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Cowher will never go to Cleveland, I'm sure of it.

Yeah, great, reliable sources from used car salesmen in Cleveland. I trust them with my life. :rofl:no its true. anyone who thinks otherwise is just a pittsburgh idiot who buries their head in the sand and cant fathom the obvious. cowher said it himself....

here is the proof-

LiKNmvn9wUQ

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

MasterOfPuppets
11-23-2009, 08:29 PM
he wont. I lived in raleigh at the time he retired and NC State tried to get him since he lives in the area. He declined and said he doesn't want to come out of retirement. He said he had a long haul with the Steelers and enjoyed it but he wants to have more time with his family.
I don't see him coming out of retirement for a long time (if he even does). He declines everyone who claims they are asking him.
i sent cowher an email asking him to coach my nephews youth league team....he hasn't replied yet... i'm still optimistic....:thumbsup:

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 08:33 PM
i sent cowher an email asking him to coach my nephews youth league team....he hasn't replied yet... i'm still optimistic....:thumbsup::pde: but he once spoke at a Pop Warner pee-wee league convention and said he would love to coach children....

Steeldude
11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
i would think cowher will want big money. will the bills' owner pay that money?

IMO, i don't see cowher going to the bills. i see him going to carolina or the browns.

MasterOfPuppets
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
:pde: but he once spoke at a Pop Warner pee-wee league convention and said he would love to coach children....
he also said the same thing at a waste water treatment convention....i'm startin to think they were just talkin shit......:sofunny:

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 09:28 PM
he also said the same thing at a waste water treatment convention....i'm startin to think they were just talkin shit......:sofunny:

:chuckle: was that when he said how he is always "taking kids to the pool"?

i find it comical how things can be so easily misinterpreted.

Angus Burgher
11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
I'd love to see Cowher coaching the Bills. I'd like to see them finally win a Super Bowl after all of those misfires in the Jim Kelly era.

steeltheone
11-23-2009, 09:39 PM
The only place he will go is Carolina, once fox is fired.

HometownGal
11-23-2009, 09:41 PM
If gum chomper John Fox gets the boot this year - which he most likely will - all of The Chin's ducks will be in a row and he'll be coaching the Panthers next season. He will not only be the HC but most likely the GM, too, which is a win-win.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Just read that Ralph Wilson will be contacting Bill Cowher and offer him the job.

Ralph Wilson is known to be a bit tight-fisted about paying coaches. I'm not sure if he can land a "big name" coach.

If Cowher goes back into coaching, I wonder if he could "tarnish" his legacy, especially if it doesn't work out. ( Remember George Siefert? )

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2008/12/steelers_rooney_cowher_can_tak.html

Rooney gave him his blessing on the matter, saying he can coach where ever he wants. But, I think he's holding out for the Panther job.

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 11:51 PM
But, I think he's holding out for the Panther job.no way. cleveland is where his heart is. atleast thats what he told car salesmen. :noidea:

(then again, i guess anyone can be sold a lemon)

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 12:15 AM
The only place he will go is Carolina, once fox is fired.

Fox will not be fired in Carolina.................Revs said so.

jev7452
11-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Fox will not be fired in Carolina.................Revs said so.

is this true?? everyone around here has been talking about how fox is getting the boot soon

tony hipchest
11-24-2009, 12:30 AM
of course.

"thou shalt not question revs."

Angus Burgher
11-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Fox SHOULD get the boot in Carolina. Will he? I don't know...

I do agree that Cowher is likely waiting for that job, but I just don't think he can turn that team into a winner. The Panthers just seem like a team that can never quite get it together and I don't know if Cowher can help that. Even when they do make it to the playoffs, they find a way to COMPLETELY implode.

Not that Buffalo has looked that great, but at least it's a team with a rich history. I don't know if Cowher could turn it around but if he did, now that would be a story people would be interested in... the coach who finally brought the Lombardi back to the 'Burgh brings Buffalo its first one. I guess I've always had a soft spot for Buffalo because it's as blue collar a town as you can get, and Jim Kelly was a diehard Steelers fan...so much that he actually didn't want to play for Buffalo when they initially drafted him.

smurof
11-24-2009, 03:45 AM
If gum chomper John Fox gets the boot this year - which he most likely will - all of The Chin's ducks will be in a row and he'll be coaching the Panthers next season. He will not only be the HC but most likely the GM, too, which is a win-win.

Richardson considers himself the Rooney of the south. Fox will have to do worse than this to see a pick slip.

HometownGal
11-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Richardson considers himself the Rooney of the south. Fox will have to do worse than this to see a pick slip.

I dunno smurof. Fox is in his 8th season with the Panthers and though he took them to the Super Bowl in 2003 and they've had 2 playoff appearances since then which haven't resulted in anything, as an owner, Richardson has to be terribly frustrated. I firmly believe Cowher is the heir apparent to that HC'ing slot and if the Panthers don't go to the playoffs this season (which it is unlikely they will) - Fox could be given the heave ho and it opens up the door for The Chin.

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
Buffalo Bill Cowher - I like it

Dino 6 Rings
11-24-2009, 09:14 AM
I still think Russ Grimm gets an interview up there and has potential of getting that job. Blue Collar city, Oline Coach, smash mouth football...could be just what that team needs to get back into the thick of things.

touchdownward
11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Cowher is clearly in the driver's seat as to where he choses to go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4683887&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

revefsreleets
11-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Interesting....exactly how many potshots did I take in this thread? And for what?

-Accurately reporting what Cowher said at a Cleveland Auto Dealers Association luncheon(which was attended by well-heeled dealership owners AND the local media)?
-Speculating that John Fox probably won't be fired in Carolina?
-Speculating that only a very small number of teams will be willing to pay Cowher the 10 million he'll be asking (Cleveland being among them, and Buffalo NOT)?

Anyway, carry on with the bashing....it doesn't bother me at all...but I'm curious. What happens if any or all of what I postulate actually comes to pass?

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Cowher is clearly in the driver's seat as to where he choses to go.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4683887&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

ZOMG HE'S GONNA TAKE THE BROWNS JOB!!!!1

......Kidding

Hey at the very least he met with Lerner and had a conversation with them face to face, with the Bills owner it appears he probably just phoned in and told him to take him "off the list".

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_g5-bZ38yOUE/ShylA2FjEEI/AAAAAAAACE8/SDbUGJKXDic/s400/COWHER.jpg

I still think he's waiting for when that Carolina job opens, and I think he'll wait for as long as he has to for it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 10:58 AM
is this true?? everyone around here has been talking about how fox is getting the boot soon

Originally Posted by revefsreleets
Fox will not be fired in Carolina.

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=40840&page=7

Hey, I don't make this stuff up. I just defer to experts who know more than I. :noidea:

revefsreleets
11-24-2009, 10:59 AM
Also, just to keep the record straight, Fox's contract runs through 2010 and he currently makes about half of what Cowher will demand.

revefsreleets
11-24-2009, 11:00 AM

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=40840&page=7

Hey, I don't make this stuff up. I just defer to experts who know more than I. :noidea:

Well, at every turn I've been....um.....reminded how much more knowledgeable about pretty much everything you are than me, so....how DARE I question you, huh?

Whatever...anyway...

Why does my educated opinion (which is also backed up by at least some facts and analysis) LESS valuable than some others here? Why is my opinion that Cowher COULD end up coaching at Cleveland any less valid than the expressed opinion of some that he could NEVER end up in Cleveland? Why is Cowher's coy answer on television more valid than his answer given at an earlier date on the same subject? Why does one override the other? Why is it so ludicrous to suggest that Fox will not be fired this year in Carolina? He's had success there in the past. The Panthers are an organization modeled after the Steelers, where continuity is highly valued. The players like him. His salary isn't exorbitant. His contract isn't up until next year. There are a lot of compelling reasons behind my hypothesis, and it has NOTHING to do with what team I follow or where I live.

tony hipchest
11-24-2009, 11:08 PM
-Speculating that only a very small number of teams will be willing to pay Cowher the 10 million he'll be asking (Cleveland being among them, and Buffalo NOT)?

What happens if any or all of what I postulate actually comes to pass?

not too worried about that actually happening... but i would assume you would tear a rotator cuff trying to pat yourself on the back.

wild and crazy speculation and overbearing postulation aside....

http://www.billsdaily.com/articles/bogyo/2009/jax.shtml

If Buffalo is going to land a Mike Shanahan or a Bill Cowher they are going to have to overcome the current state of the franchise and the lack of a big market and about the only way they are going to do that is by offering money and/or power over the organization. They are probably going to have to offer substantially more money and/or power than other organizations to land their man. Ralph Wilson has indicated that he is ready to open his wallet (some reports are talking about salary in the $10 million a year range) and possibly control of the organization, but the question is really going to be whether ANY amount of money/power can successfully sell the Buffalo Bills as the best opportunity. If early reactions are any indication, the Bills could be in trouble – John Gruden reportedly rebuffed the Bills and elected to stay with Monday Night Football and Bill Cowher reportedly does not want to even talk until after the season (not exactly jumping at the Bills job). jason lacanfora reports that inside sources reveal that number may even be as high as $12 mil.

owner's indication > sportsfan messageboard poster's speculation.

cowher himself has indicated that he will not even entertain any interviews until the cbs gig is complete for the year after the superbowl.

IF fox is fired on jan 1, '10 the bills would do just fine by themselves to bring him in. he could bring fassell back to the nfl as his coordinator, and they would definitely be heading in the right direction.

nice sig. very fitting.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Why is it so ludicrous to suggest that Fox will not be fired this year in Carolina?

There was no "suggestion" but rather this demonstrative statement:

I mean, you come off like some expert that believes he is so much more knowledgeable than the rest of us "fans". Maybe mix in a IMHO, or I dont think Fox will be fired. Its all a bit wizard of OZ like, dont ya think?

Anybody that disagrees with you gets responded to with attacks, just for having a differing opinion. Ah,to use another quote from you......"whatever" :coffee:

tony hipchest
11-24-2009, 11:56 PM
Anybody that disagrees with you gets responded to with attacks, just for having a differing opinion. Ah,to use another quote from you......"whatever" :coffee:

...a ton of ad "homina, homina", hominem attacks....

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/eyes.jpg

and speaking of the wizard of oz, a bunch of strawman, too.... :coffee:

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 06:37 AM
There was no "suggestion" but rather this demonstrative statement:

I mean, you come off like some expert that believes he is so much more knowledgeable than the rest of us "fans". Maybe mix in a IMHO, or I dont think Fox will be fired. Its all a bit wizard of OZ like, dont ya think?

I'm shocked! You dare deign to stoop so low to address a little old stupid and ignorant know-nothing-about-football as myself?

Gosh, what an HONOR.

As for not adding in the IMO or whatever, dude, that's laughable. Every post of yours sounds like you are pontificating towards the unclean and ignorant masses, and that we should humbly be grateful that one so high and honorable as yourself even bothers to post among us idiotic heathens...

The prevailing thought amongst the brain-trust is that Fox is all but fired...I disagree. Sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities when I didn't use the proper deferential tone and honorifics when directing posts towards your personage, oh great and mighty wise sage of football...

Tony,

Reading comprehension, buddy....know it's never been a particularly strong suit of yours, but I PUT YOU ON IGNORE.

You can stop bashing me now because I'm no longer interested in what you have to say.

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Update...again, since I'M the one bringing this up, I'm sure it means nothing and people much more knowledgeable than me will say it isn't so, BUT the word out of Buffalo is that Mike Shanahan is now the frontrunner for the Bills job, and they have already contacted him about that position...there are also several sources claiming that Bill Cowher is 100% NOT interested in pursuing the Bills job.

Again, I'm the source here, and I'm crazy and stupid and know nothing about, so, back to the topic about Cowher taking over the Buffalo Bills...

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I think Bill Cowher is waiting on that Carolina Job. Fox is pretty much out if the Panthers miss the playoffs this season. Reports this morning I heard on the NFL Network was that Cowher was making No Decision until after the season, whether that was regular season or entire season, wasn't clear.

By the way...stop bickering guys...come on...

I still like Grimm for the Bills job if they'll interview him. He seems to fit into that situation.

Shanny wants the Dallas job. If Dallas misses the playoffs or chokes out first round again, you know Jerry is making a change. No playoff wins since 1996, that'll make any owner a little nuts.

I also like Snyder to open up his purse at the end of the season for Cowher. That's going to be one hell of a contract who ever hires the Chin.

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 10:39 AM
By the way, here is the incident I "made up"...

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/bill_cowher_is_a_hit_in_clevel.html

Bill Cowher is a hit in Cleveland Browns' territory
By Mike Starkey
February 22, 2008, 12:10PM

Bill Cowher, the long-time coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers, visited enemy territory today as the keynote speaker for the Cleveland Auto Show dealer's breakfast.

Cowher, who played for the Browns and later was an assistant under Marty Schottenheimer, stepped down as Steelers coach a year ago to spend time with his family. He was rumored as a possible candidate for the Browns job at the start of last season when there was speculation that Romeo Crennel might be fired.

In a question-and-answer session following his speech, Cowher was asked if he'd ever want to come back and coach in Cleveland.

"I'd love to come back," Cowher said. "If there's a place I'd like to come back to, this is it."

He quickly added, "Don't get me wrong. I'm not coming back."

Cowher, who worked as a pre-game host on CBS this past season, praised Crennel.

"Romeo has done the hard work and now he's reaping the rewards," Cowher said. "He's a great head coach and you (Browns fans) should support him."

As he finished his speech, Cowher received a standing ovation from the crowd. He was asked if he ever expected that to happen in Cleveland.

"No one would ever believe me if I told them it did," he said.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
to add,. there were pics up on Ebay of Cowher signing both Browns and Steeler helmets. I wish I could find them but they are no longer up on the site

KeiselPower99
11-25-2009, 11:46 AM
If Cowher comes back itll be in a warm weather area. His wife dont wanna live in the cold anymore.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-25-2009, 11:57 AM
If Cowher comes back itll be in a warm weather area. His wife dont wanna live in the cold anymore.

I heard rumors that the real reason behind him quiting was due to problems with his wife in 2006?

Or am I thinking wrong?

fansince'76
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
On a related note, it's looking like the Bills are prepared to possibly offer Shanahan $50 million over 5 years and an ownership stake in the team. Interesting to see what kind of possible price point for Cowher such a deal would establish.

The Bills, in fact, are scheduled to meet with Shanahan this week. And they fully understand, to even have that conversation, they must be prepared to pay more than the $7 million Shanahan is due to earn in each of the next two years as part of the balance of his guaranteed contract with the Denver Broncos, who fired him as their coach after the 2008 season.

"You're probably talking about $50 million over five years and maybe even a piece of the team," said a source close to Shanahan. "And by all indications, (Bills owner Ralph) Wilson is ready to have that conversation."

Bills To Meet With Shanahan (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81474bb9&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
If the Bills pay 10, I'll be shocked, BUT Wilson is an owner pretty dedicated to winning...

That means Cowher will probably be seeking $12....

tony hipchest
11-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Tony,

Reading comprehension, buddy....know it's never been a particularly strong suit of yours, but I PUT YOU ON IGNORE.

You can stop bashing me now because I'm no longer interested in what you have to say.

:applaudit: great job in ignoring me! do you really think i give a rats patooie who places me on "ignore"?

re-posting information that i have already posted that you "chose" to ignore doesnt make you more smart. it just makes you obtuse.

did you just pull this 12 million dollar number out of your ass? what the hell do you base that on? :laughing:

belichick and pioli combined arent worth 9 mil but cowher is worth 12??? you have obviously overestimated his value in todays market. what do you base your estimation on? holmgren? shanahan?

you obviously think every owner/business man in the nfl is dumber than you.

lemme guess... cowhers next boss is not only gonna pay him $12 mil, but also rip colbert away from the steelers for $5 mil. :toofunny:

in other news....

bill cowher claims romeo crennell is a "great coach" to a bunch of cleveland area used car salesmen. :thumbsup:

btw... thanks for posting that article again. it gets funnier everytime i read it and saves me the trouble of bringing it up. the next thing you will tell us is the browns are willing to give up their entire stake of ownership to bring him in (not to say i discount the retardness of the browns).

in case you havent heard, its not all about money for bill. i dont see why people cant just accept him for his WORD.

T&B fan
11-26-2009, 10:03 AM
IMO he never comes back ....... yes he like the TV gig and makes enf $$ to be happy in life . :thumbsup:

not that MO means anything .:noidea:

revefsreleets
11-27-2009, 08:51 AM
IMO he never comes back ....... yes he like the TV gig and makes enf $$ to be happy in life . :thumbsup:

not that MO means anything .:noidea:

I wouldn't. The TV gig is pretty sweet, pays well, can last virtually forever, is almost entirely stress free, and probably constitutes about 1/15th the time commitment.

But i think he will come back because he's a competitor. And there are certain teams that will be more difficult to return to greatness than others, and I think THAT will stir up Bill's competitive juices.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-27-2009, 11:12 PM
I wasn't able to watch The NFL Today on Thursday, due to a unfortunate turkey-and-stuffing (and schnapps) induced stupor. So I'm now rolling the DVR, and at the top of the CBS pregame show former Steelers coach Bill Cowher addressed his current job status.

"I've spoken to no teams and I don't intend to do so while there's a current head coach," Cowher said. "Listen, this is a pivotal time of the year, and these coaches deserve to have the full support of their organizations. So I'm telling you I've talked to nobody."

It's unclear whether, in Cowher's mind, the Bills have a "current head coach," since their head coach already has been fired. Still, there's no reason for Cowher or Mike Shanahan or any other name at the top of the "A" list to get serious about any specific job until the dust settles at the end of the season.

Besides, Cowher doesn't need to talk to anyone to ensure that there will be sufficient buzz about him come January. After he flirted last year with the Browns and the Jets, the fairly clear message was that Cowher would be coming back for 2010.

So once Black Monday comes and goes, let the bidding for Bill Cowher begin.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/27/cowher-says-he-wont-talk-to-teams-with-current-head-coach/

Really, If I was Cowher, the Carolina job seems ready made to get one more ring, You have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball, and the only real major hole would be at QB, you draft a young guy, and you have an easy path to the Super Bowl.

Where as say he goes to the gigs in Cleveland and Buffalo, you have a significant amount of rebuilding to be done. It'll take 2-3 years before those teams can become winners. They'd be willing to pay the big bucks though. (per what we saw earlier in the week)

Tampa while in the same boat with those two could be figured into being a good place as well, being warm and down south could be something that's up his alley.

So, it's either going to be Tampa or Carolina.

tony hipchest
11-27-2009, 11:30 PM
It's unclear whether, in Cowher's mind, the Bills have a "current head coach," since their head coach already has been fired. Still, there's no reason for Cowher or Mike Shanahan or any other name at the top of the "A" list to get serious about any specific job until the dust settles at the end of the season.

these 3 things are true and certain-

-cowher has far too much respect for his peers to even slightly interfere with ones job and a chance to put food on their families table (even if it so happens to be a young, no name, interim coach of the bills, who EVERYONE knows will not be coaching them next season).

-cowher meant it when he said he was retiring for atleast 2 years and it was time for him to put his family first (even if that means he will only take the job that keeps his wife and daughters the happiest).

-it is most definitely not all about money. if it were he would already be coaching again. he's not playing any games or pivoting one owner against another. he is a straight shooter, not bill freaking belichick or parcells. if he returns to the sidelines it will be on his terms and money is far from top of the list.

cowher and gruden have proven to be naturals with their current gigs. neither lose anything by keeping them. gruden was asked and his statemnet was while he misses the hell out of the competition, he doesnt miss the heartache. i am almost sure thet cowher is taking the same approach. these are simple men, who simply cannot be bought. if they return, it will be on their own terms (even if cowher has to sit out as long as dick vermiel did) and money most likely will not be the deciding factor.

BrandonCarr39
11-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Bill Cowher is an excellent coach, don't get me wrong, and no disrespect or anything, but IMHO, teams should be going after young 30-40 year olds that'll bring them LONG longevity, than 50-60 year old ones that don't have a whole lot in the gas tank anymore.

For example, when Bum Phillips coached the Saints in the 80's, he ended up bringing a number of old vets/older players from his Houston Oilers along with him like Ken Stabler and Earl Campbell. It was as if he was just too old to put up with the younger hot shots that needed alot of coaching and development.

The same happened with Bill Parcells here in Dallas - bringing in Vinny T, Bledsoe, Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, Richie Anderson, and a bunch of guys that really had no more legs left.

How old is Cowher now? 52? Again, no disrespect, but it wouldn't surprise me at his next stop, he may bring in Neil O'Donnell, talk the Bus out of retirement, make a trade for Alan Faneca, and go after Deshayd Townsend to be a starter in his secondary as well.

devilsdancefloor
11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Bill Cowher is an excellent coach, don't get me wrong, and no disrespect or anything, but IMHO, teams should be going after young 30-40 year olds that'll bring them LONG longevity, than 50-60 year old ones that don't have a whole lot in the gas tank anymore.

For example, when Bum Phillips coached the Saints in the 80's, he ended up bringing a number of old vets/older players from his Houston Oilers along with him like Ken Stabler and Earl Campbell. It was as if he was just too old to put up with the younger hot shots that needed alot of coaching and development.

The same happened with Bill Parcells here in Dallas - bringing in Vinny T, Bledsoe, Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, Richie Anderson, and a bunch of guys that really had no more legs left.

How old is Cowher now? 52? Again, no disrespect, but it wouldn't surprise me at his next stop, he may bring in Neil O'Donnell, talk the Bus out of retirement, make a trade for Alan Faneca, and go after Deshayd Townsend to be a starter in his secondary as well.

thems fighting words there cowboy:wink02:

I get your point older coachs bring in guys they are comfy with

tony hipchest
11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
rod stewart wrote a song that could be cowhers theme song- "forever young".

he is much closer to dick vermeil than the examples you use.

plus, he isnt a pretend gm, and i dont think he would want to be. he is a coach, who has no problems living within his skin.

some people believe he wants to own teams and shit.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-28-2009, 12:37 AM

See, I think it depends on the organization.

Take my Browns for example, taking a gamble on someone who is young and inexperienced with the current ownership is a recipe for diaster.

Bringing in a Parcells/Cowher/Shanahan/Holmgren though, even if it is for only say about 3-4 years would help immensenly. They would be able at the very least leave some of the frame work they left behind, and presumably leave the org. in better shape than it had been.

Now, an organization like Pittsburgh, Dallas,(heck, I'll even throw Denver in that catergory, they seen to be have a good org.) etc, can take that risk of a young coach like a Tomlin because they can sorround him with everything he could possibly need to succeed, the roster is already filled with great players, the scouting dept. is there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-28-2009, 12:14 PM

Nah, I think it depends on where Cowher lands. If its Carolina, then he already has a solid O line (Gross, Otah, Wharton, etc), 2 excellent RB's.....he would just need a decent QB and some younger WR's. Defensively, the Panthers are hurting on the D-line, so I could see him try to get some vets there......but that is about it.

Taking a proven winner as opposed to the young coach de-jour isnt always the best thing(Raheem Morris, Todd Haley, Steve Spagnolo, even McDaniels). Good coaches are good coaches...........no matter what their age. Bad coaches (Wade Phillips, Dick Jauron, Norv Turner, Jim Zorn) are bad coaches likewise.

revefsreleets
11-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Bear in mind that there was definite tension towards the end in Pittsburgh...while Cowher, I'm sure, doesn't want to wear both hats (GM/HC), he for sure wants some kind of "final say" or veto power over things like draft picks and such...that would, IMO, forever rule out franchises like the Cowboys or Redskins, teams with overbearing owners.

If he comes back, a certain amount of control will have to be part and parcel with the deal...along with a significant amount of money. Remember that Cowher DID hire an agent, and also used the threat of becoming Cleveland Mark II's first new HC as leverage in dealing with the Steelers. He's shrewd negotiator...

Glace
12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
If anybody has the ESPN Insider subscription...there's a "rumor" post that says that Cowher to the Panthers is dead.

I, among many, saw him waiting for Fox to get the axe and coach there, so I'm curious what ESPN is saying...and I'm a cheapskate.

And yes, I KNOW its an ESPN RUMOR...but I like having stuff to read about.

revefsreleets
12-17-2009, 09:08 AM
There is some talk amongst some Browns fans I know that "Cowher to Cleveland II" is back in play....ESPN is also the supposed source of this rumor.

Holmgren was offered somewhere between 8-10 million yesterday by the Browns according to the local paper.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Cowher is not coming to Cleveland.

It's Holmgren's gig to lose at this point.

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 11:53 AM

Holmgren is NOT coming as a coach...he's coming to be the Czar of football operations, with a GM AND a coach under him.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Holmgren is NOT coming as a coach...he's coming to be the Czar of football operations, with a GM AND a coach under him.

Who's to say that Mangini isn't keeping the gig following the potential hiring?

It's been reported that throughout the process that he's been chatting with him and Randy every step of the way.

And if that doesn't work out, why would Holmgren go out of his way to hire someone who probably doesn't matchup with the way he builds a franchise? I would think that if Mangini is fired, it's either going to be Gruden or /shudder, Mooch.

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 12:40 PM
I am, once again, merely parroting what I've been hearing. Lats time I did that, I was BLASTED by some of the board braintrust members (and I still am via some completely bastardized version of what I was actually reporting at the time)....it's almost like if they don't WANT to hear something, they'll just attack me for saying it, like that makes the unpopular thing I post go away...

Holmgren has said two key things in the past concerning coaches. A) That one year is not enough UNLESS, B) Things are clearly headed in the wrong direction and getting worse.

6-10 last year...and perhaps as bad as 2-14 this year is definitely heading in the wrong direction. As far as his "style", I'm not sure that's relevant...he's NOT coaching the team, he's there to oversee the football op's...and I see no reason to believe Mangini's style is very conducive to Holmgren's, anyway...

Dino 6 Rings
12-18-2009, 01:43 PM
what about Cowher to Chicago???

BlastFurnace
12-18-2009, 02:45 PM

Maybe if Holmgren hired Bill as coach at Cleveland that he would finally shake Bill's hand over Super Bowl XL.

KeiselPower99
12-18-2009, 03:17 PM
I have a name for Browns fans if Holmgren cans Mangini. Marty Mornhinweg. Cowher to Tampa or Carolina!!!

revefsreleets
12-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Just to clarify, this is becoming one of those things that I really don't care much about even commenting on anymore...but there IS a lot of talk around here and I DO work in the media, so I'd say the "grapevine" is at least as reliable as PFT's garbage....

The Browns covet Cowher. If they fire Mangini, they WILL approach him again about coaching the Browns. With or without Holmgren in charge, it's going to happen if Mangini is fired. Not saying he'll TAKE the job, just sating he will again be OFFERED the job.

Here is PFT's Florio explaining why Cowher IS going to Carolina. Grain of salt, naturally...
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbj0jf_profootballtalk-could-cowher-be-ret_sport

But this is Florio, so I almost say take the opposite.

Also, the rumor mill at ESPN now has Shanny talking to the Skins. Don't blame me, I'm just passin' this stuff along...

Aussie_steeler
12-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Also, the rumor mill at ESPN now has Shanny talking to the Skins. Don't blame me, I'm just passin' this stuff along...

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2009/dec/18/report-redskins-talking-shanahan/?feat=home_headlines

Reports starting to emerge that Snyder is moving into land Shanny

BrandonCarr39
12-18-2009, 11:28 PM
what about Cowher to Chicago???

Lovie Smith's multi-year deal doesn't expire until 2011 - Bears are cheap, they don't want to pay out his contract like that.

Losing Ron Rivera(their DC) has been a BIG blow to that D - Rivera's philosophies come from his former boss Jim Johnson - which are creating pressure and ball hawking. Something the Bears D sorely misses since their ownership refused to resign him after that Super Bowl.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-19-2009, 07:17 AM
Funny how his name comes up all over the place.

Down here in San Antonio Texas the Ticket 760 is reporting that according to ESPN's Chris Mortenson Cowher is very interested in Dallas.

This guy Mike Taylor has been salivating over cowher for years and is #1 on his coaching wish list. He is hoping for someone that will not take Jerry's crap and can run a team with some success. I hope it never comes true but you never really know about these things.

revefsreleets
12-20-2009, 04:19 PM
Can't see Cowher working for Jones. Just can't see it...

Indo
12-21-2009, 01:32 PM

Agree---JJ will want more than Cowher is willing to give up

Glace
12-21-2009, 04:22 PM

Absolutely no way Cowher works for Jones...no way.

And people thought Jones and Parcells didn't get along...

Somebody with good photoshopping skills needs to impose Parcells' angry eyes with Cowher's chin....You'd finally get a scarier looking coach than Chucky.

revefsreleets
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
Holmgren is 100% confirmed as the President of Cleveland. Considering that there would be 2-3 cooks in the kitchen for major football decisions (Coach, GM and Holmgren), I think Cowher takes a pass for sure now. In fact, I think they'll keep Mangini another year. Most of the high marquee HC candidates are going to want substantial control, and I think the Browns hired Holmgren to handle that aspect. Shanny, Gruden, Cowher, et al are going to want major input, and I don't think that's going to be an option. If they DO sack Mangini, I think they'll look to promote a hot coordinator, somebody who will fall in line, and only cost in the 4 million range...

Dino 6 Rings
12-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Rumor I just saw on ESPN...Tampa Bay may target Cowher for their head coaching position if they decide to make a change this year.

That's a big wow in my opinion. Get rid of Gruden, for a youthful coach, give him one year, then bring in Cowher? That screams desperation in my opinion.

revefsreleets
12-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Gruden is an underrated coach in my book. ANY coach who can win in Oakland under that blither control freak idiot Davis is a stud coach...

If you read these boards, though, Cowher is ONLY going to Carolina, and it's absurd to suggest differently...

X-Terminator
12-28-2009, 11:09 AM
Gruden is an underrated coach in my book. ANY coach who can win in Oakland under that blither control freak idiot Davis is a stud coach...

If you read these boards, though, Cowher is ONLY going to Carolina, and it's absurd to suggest differently...

The Carolina job makes perfect sense. He would have a team with a strong running game, a defense he can mold into a top unit again...and he wouldn't have to move out of his house. He'd also likely get the control he would want over personnel decisions. Tampa would give him that too, but I believe Carolina is where he will end up if he comes back.

4xSBChamps
12-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Rumor I just saw on ESPN...Tampa Bay may target Cowher for their head coaching position if they decide to make a change this year.

there is a story in this AM's Tampa Tribune about this rumor..... the Glazer's, owners of the Yuccaneers, won't confirm or deny the report, so everybody here in central Florida is 'ga-ga' today, and Morris is left hanging out to dry

I'd think the Glazers might be too-cheap to have 2 former Head Coaches (Chuckie & Morris) & a former General Manager (current GM Dominick) on the payroll, while meeting Cowher's price, considering the report that the Yucs are $30M below the salary cap:
nor would Cowher want to be leading an under-funded organization, but that's just speculation on my part

revefsreleets
12-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Only problem is, the Carolina job isn't OPEN. And may not be...I'll believe Fox is getting fired when I see it.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-28-2009, 02:13 PM
Well, he can either take the Tampa job or sit at home at this point.

Unless, he would want the Cleveland gig, but he would take that knowing he would probably only be a Coach, not a GM as well, as Holmgren has been handpicked as that guy. This of course is hinging on Mangini having not done enough to impress Holmgren that he is to be given another year.

KeiselPower99
12-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Cowher wont be in Carolina next year. Fox will be back. Id like to see Cowher in Tampa.

CPanther95
12-28-2009, 03:29 PM
If the Panthers finish strong against the Saints, Fox will be safe.

MasterOfPuppets
12-28-2009, 04:03 PM
there could be a job opening in big D if they fail to win a playoff game....:popcorn:

Vincent
12-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Only problem is, the Carolina job isn't OPEN. And may not be...I'll believe Fox is getting fired when I see it.

I live in Charlotte. Richardson fired both his sons this season. I'd normally say "No way they fire John Fox", but this year, ya just don't know.

Frankly, I wonder what Richardson would think he's getting with BC over JF. They're very similar coaches in their approach to the game. BC is more of a firebrand, but so what.

It'd be a shame to see JF tossed aside. He's a good coach and a good man. But it would be fun to have BC in Charlotte. And BC would have a good roster perfectly suited to his game. Steelers South.

And it's be fun to see JF on our sideline after they can MT.

:couch:
Relax. I'm just @#$%ing with ya. :chuckle:

Fifty8
12-28-2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/nfl-football/articles/nfl-cowher-to-coach-in-2010/

SteelerEmpire
12-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I say he waits a couple months and waits for an offer from Jerry Jones.... Cowher to the Cowboys..... " that " would be some news..... I would just LOVE Cowher to tell JJ no with his middle finger extended.... :tt03:

Fifty8
12-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Cowers a joke

So what does that make the bungholes, who rarely beat him?

The joke is bunghole fan can't spell the name of the coach who owned your piss poor team.

:tt02:

SteelerEmpire
12-28-2009, 10:33 PM
So what does that make the bungholes, who rarely beat him?

The joke is bunghole fan can't spell the name of the coach who owned your piss poor team.

:tt02:

Yea.... I think from Cowher's perspective... the jokes on the Bungles.....

X-Terminator
12-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Please don't feed the troll, people. No need to give it the attention it craves.

revefsreleets
12-29-2009, 09:31 AM
The Bears actually MIGHT be the best fit. Assuming Fox stays put, Chicago would probably pay the money he wants and give him the control he's looking for. Tampa, I guess might work as well...Dallas and Washington are both out for the same reason (asshole owners), with Holmgren in, Cleveland is out, can't see Cowher in Buffalo...

A word about Chicago based on this article.....them trading away draft picks doesn't mean anything. As Cleveland showed, you can still trade your way back into picks if you play your cards right, and there are bound to be a few vets on the team that Cowher would want to jettison. Bears fans know football and would understand that rebuilding is a process. They like Cowher and "get" his style football, since it's based on the same premise that led them to glory in the past. If that job comes open, and it's between Tampa and Chicago, I think he becomes the next Bears coach.

HometownGal
12-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I say he waits a couple months and waits for an offer from Jerry Jones.... Cowher to the Cowboys..... " that " would be some news..... I would just LOVE Cowher to tell JJ no with his middle finger extended.... :tt03:

Me too. :laughing: :thumbsup:

I still see The Chin going to Carolina - it's a win-win.

St33lersguy
01-01-2010, 04:46 PM
http://www.betus.com/sports-betting/nfl-football/articles/nfl-cowher-to-coach-in-2010/

Steelers play 3 of those teams next year.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
The Rummer has it that Cowher interviewed with the Bill's.

Mort asked him about it and he had "No Comment"

tony hipchest
01-03-2010, 12:59 PM
The Rummer has it that Cowher interviewed with the Bill's.

Mort asked him about it and he had "No Comment".

brian billick has supposedly had contact with the bills too. looks like theyre getting their ducks in a row incase they cant land a big dog.i would think he will hold off on any actual interviews until after today. i'd sure like to know what assistants he is looking at. chan gailey seems to be the obvious one.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/01/02/cowher-has-contacted-potential-assistant-coaches/

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher looks closer to returning to the NFL.

Cowher and/or a representative of his has contacted prospective assistant coaches, according to a league source with knowledge of the queries.

The source didn’t know what team or teams Cowher could be involved with, but NFL Network’s Jason LaCanfora said the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have reached out to the coach either directly or through his representation.

Cowher, who coached the Steelers for 15 seasons, currently works as a studio analyst for CBS Sports.

i would think tampa and bills are the front runners with chicago as a darkhorse.

MACH1
01-03-2010, 06:07 PM
I thought fer sure he'd go to caralina.

Glace
01-03-2010, 06:22 PM
I can see Cowher sitting out another season if he doesn't get exactly what he wants.

Comeon, Bill! Do you really want to coach the freaking Bills? Bill coaching the Bills?
That's going to be the punchline next year....all year long....

DON'T DO IT! Sit out another year and wait for something better.

JEFF4i
01-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm hoping Bill goes to the Texans, :)