PDA

View Full Version : Analysis of Ben Roethlisberger's 10 INTs

Gnutella
11-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Please let me know if my analysis is accurate...

Ben Roethlisberger's 10 INTs

INT #1 (vs Tennessee): Bad throw.
(The ball was thrown too late.)
Roethlisberger's fault? YES.

INT #2 (vs Tennessee): Low-percentage throw.
(A "Hail Mary" pass to end the first half.)
Roethlisberger's fault? NO.

INT #3 (at Chicago): Hit as he threw.
(The ball was thrown in spite of losing balance.)
Roethlisberger's fault? PARTIALLY.

INT #4 (at Cincinnati): Miscommunication.
("Hot read" receiver ran the wrong route.)

INT #5 (at Detroit): Bad decision.
(The play and the pass were both telegraphed.)

INT #6 (vs Cleveland): Bad throw.
(The ball was underthrown.)

INT #7 (at Denver): Bad throw.
(The ball was thrown too wide.)

INT #8 (vs Cincinnati): Bad throw.
(The ball was thrown behind the receiver in traffic.)

INT #9 (at Kansas City): Unlucky bounce.
(The ball was thrown perfectly, but bounced off the receiver's hands.)

INT #10 (at Kansas City): Hit as he threw.
(The ball wobbled off-course into the hands of a defender.)
Roethlisberger's fault? PARTIALLY.

Bad throw: 4
Hit as he threw: 2
Bad decision: 1
Miscellaneous: 3

Roethlisberger's fault: 5
Partially Roethlisberger's fault: 2
Not Roethlisberger's fault: 3

Discuss...

madtowndrunkard
11-23-2009, 11:19 PM
Ben doesn't throw a lot of INT's but when he does it's usually at the worst time or in the redzone. Those INT's that get ran back for TD's are the killer. Every INT that Ben has throw in the redzone should have never happened. Our red zone play calling is just asking for trouble. 4-5 WR's and no RB in the back field....Hmmmm I wonder if they'll pass?

tony hipchest
11-23-2009, 11:43 PM
i think thats a very fair and accurate analysis. ben is obviously taking sacks at the expense of not throwing even more interceptions than what he has to this point.

but his sacks per attempt and interceptions per attempt have both decreased this year too. i would say ben and the entire passing game has steadily improved.

Gnutella
11-24-2009, 12:09 AM
i think thats a very fair and accurate analysis. ben is obviously taking sacks at the expense of not throwing even more interceptions than what he has to this point.

but his sacks per attempt and interceptions per attempt have both decreased this year too. i would say ben and the entire passing game has steadily improved.

I agree that the passing game -- and really, the offense in general -- has improved this season, but there are still a few screws to be tightened. Ben's INT percentage this season is lower than any other except 2007, but it could still go lower. The good news is, his INT percentage has been lower in each of the last three seasons than they were in any of his first three.

2004: 3.7%
2005: 3.4%
2006: 4.9%
2007: 2.7%
2008: 3.2%
2009: 2.9%

I'd like it to be closer to 2.5% by the end of this season, but I am happy that it's gotten lower in recent years. I'd also like to see his TD percentage improve, although the WRs can be blamed for at least five dropped TD passes this season.

2004: 5.8%
2005: 6.3%
2006: 3.8%
2007: 7.9%
2008: 3.6%
2009: 4.9%

Truthfully, my biggest complaint about Ben's performance last season had nothing to do with turnovers. We faced a lot of ruthless defenses with a still-liquid offensive line and an impotent running game, so I knew that his turnovers would be a little bit higher than normal. My biggest complaint was a relative lack of TD passes. His TD percentage last year was even lower than it was in 2006, his worst overall statistical season, and less than half of what it was in 2007. This season it's still a little bit below where I'd like it to be (over 5.0%), but I'm glad that he's already thrown as many TD passes this season as he did last.

He's on pace for 27 TD passes and 16 INTs this season. Add at least two TD passes to that projection, and subtract at least two INTs, and I'll be happy.

eafratitpm3
11-24-2009, 01:03 AM
In the year's Ben has started for the Steeler's I can't remember a time when I saw him throw the ball away, anyone else? Also, on the play he got hurt Mendenhall was about 3 feet away open.

iloveben7
11-24-2009, 01:27 AM
^Ben has thrown the ball away numerous times. But would you rather him throw it away every time someone isn't open right away and therefore not resulting in the great big plays Ben creates with his scrambling ability?

Angus Burgher
11-24-2009, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I hate to see QBs throw it away. Obviously, I'd prefer that to a sack or an INT, but I see so many guys chuck the ball out of bounds at the first hint of an approaching linebacker. I'm glad Ben usually tried to make something out of it.

I just wish he'd never get picked off. That's a totally unrealistic wish, I know. But unfortunately, each time he throws an INT, that's all it takes for the trolls to say he's overrated.

iloveben7
11-24-2009, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I hate to see QBs throw it away. Obviously, I'd prefer that to a sack or an INT, but I see so many guys chuck the ball out of bounds at the first hint of an approaching linebacker. I'm glad Ben usually tried to make something out of it.

I just wish he'd never get picked off. That's a totally unrealistic wish, I know. But unfortunately, each time he throws an INT, that's all it takes for the trolls to say he's overrated.

they never say those things about Manning or Brady though and both of them throw INT's too

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 02:28 AM
^Ben has thrown the ball away numerous times. But would you rather him throw it away every time someone isn't open right away and therefore not resulting in the great big plays Ben creates with his scrambling ability?
sure would like to see him throw it away rather than take the sack putting them out of field goal range....:doh:

Angus Burgher
11-24-2009, 02:28 AM
they never say those things about Manning or Brady though and both of them throw INT's too

But you see, they're "elite." Translation: they puss out every time a defender breaks through the line.

iloveben7
11-24-2009, 02:31 AM
sure would like to see him throw it away rather than take the sack putting them out of field goal range....:doh:

it's a double edged sword. You have to take the bad plays with the good plays

Shea
11-24-2009, 02:41 AM

You're gonna strike out from time to time going for the homerun. But damn, aren't those dingers worth it?

You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

It's Ben. I'll take the sacks as long as he keeps swinging for the fences. Nobody circles those bases like Ben does.

Gnutella
11-24-2009, 03:04 AM
But you see, they're "elite." Translation: they puss out every time a defender breaks through the line.

I, too, get tired of the troll brigade, especially those who now claim that Ben doesn't know how to read defenses. If that's the case, then why is his completion percentage so high? How does he spread the ball around so effectively?

I guess Aaron Rodgers doesn't know how to read defenses either? He, too, holds the ball too long sometimes.