PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger likely to play against Ravens

Galax Steeler
11-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is expected to play Sunday night against the Baltimore Ravens, even though he got knocked out of the Steelers' 27-24 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs.

A source close to the situation said Roethlisberger did well in a series of neurological tests Monday. Roethlisberger has sustained two football-related concussions since October 2006. He also suffered serious head and facial injuries in a motorcycle crash in June 2006.

Coach Mike Tomlin said after the game that Roethlisberger had a "concussion-oriented" injury caused when Chiefs linebacker Derrick Johnson banged his knee off the sixth-year veteran's helmet.

The source said Roethlisberger did well when he took the Immediate Post-Concussion Assessment and Cognitive Test (IMPACT), which is used to determine the severity of head injuries in the NFL.

Scores from IMPACT are measured against baseline tallies established before the season. Players with head injuries usually pass the IMPACT exams several times before they are cleared to play again.

The Steelers did not immediately comment on Roethlisberger's status. Tomlin is expected to address it today at his weekly news conference.

Roethlisberger's status took on added significance because backup quarterback Charlie Batch injured his left wrist while subbing for the injured Roethlisberger in overtime. Batch, who could be lost for the rest of the season, was fitted for a cast in Kansas City. He is expected to miss up to six weeks.

Batch was injured when he landed awkwardly on his wrist after throwing a pass.

With Batch sidelined, second-year man Dennis Dixon is the Steelers' only healthy backup quarterback.

The injury to Batch, who missed all of last season with a broken collarbone, fueled speculation that the Steelers would bring in another quarterback to take his spot on the 53-man roster.

As of last night, the Steelers had not made serious inquiries about Jeff Garcia or Cleo Lemon, two veteran quarterbacks who are free agents. They had also yet to contact Tyler Palko, a former West Allegheny High and Pitt star who has been working out in Pittsburgh and is hoping to get another shot in the NFL.

Dixon, a fifth-round draft pick out of Oregon in 2008, had been a Heisman Trophy front-runner in 2007 until a knee injury ended his season. The Steelers coveted him because of his potential as a pocket passer as well as his running ability.

Dixon has thrown just one NFL pass, and he completed it for 3 yards.

That came last Dec. 28 when he relieved Batch in the Steelers' 31-0 win over the Browns. Batch had taken over for Roethlisberger after the latter got knocked out of the game with a concussion.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_654653.html?feed=9

Steelers>NFL
11-24-2009, 08:08 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FacemeIke
11-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Thats good if he can play. But I want him to be healthy if he is going to play. I hope he's not pushing it and coming back too fast. Concusions are nothing to mess with.

This is like the 4th in his career. Makes me wonder how many more years he has left? 5 maybe? He could be like Aikman and leave the game early because of concussions.

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 09:26 AM
YES!!!! Let's go kick some Ratbird rear!!!!:sign02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Its good news. I just hope Ramon Foster can not get burned and Ben doesnt get severly injured.

klick81
11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
I just hope he brings his A-game.

Rick5895
11-24-2009, 11:35 AM
I would hope we err on the side of caution here, and sit Ben. I beleive that Dixon will do just fine, this is his third year, he knows the O, and we should all remember his senior year at Oregon, Had he not been injured he migh well have won the Hiesman and been a certain 1st or 2nd round pick. He has a great arm, can improvise, and he has speed to get outside if he has to run. Just my opinion.

iloveben7
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
I don't want Ben to play on Sunday. Concussions are not a thing to mess with, especially with Ben only having exactly a week to recover. The Ravens will be looking to take his head off.

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 12:33 PM
Just hand the ball off.

brick
11-24-2009, 12:41 PM
I would hope we err on the side of caution here, and sit Ben. I beleive that Dixon will do just fine, this is his third year, he knows the O, and we should all remember his senior year at Oregon, Had he not been injured he migh well have won the Hiesman and been a certain 1st or 2nd round pick. He has a great arm, can improvise, and he has speed to get outside if he has to run. Just my opinion.
+1, even though i'm not too optimistic of a win without ben in there, i'd still rather bench him if he's not 100% rather than risk his career. like people have been saying, concussions aren't something you want to play around with.

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 12:49 PM
Tomlin: Big Ben expected in Steelers' lineup

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is expected to play this weekend against the Baltimore Ravens.

Roethlisberger took a knee to the head in last week's overtime loss to the Kansas City Chiefs. Tomlin, speaking at his weekly news conference, confirmed that Roethlisberger suffered a concussion but the quarterback passed all the neurological tests on Monday.

"I met with Ben yesterday; he felt normal and he felt fine," Tomlin said. "The battery of test that he took showed that he showed no symptoms. So we will continue to monitor his condition and where he is on a day-to-day basis and let that guide our decision making. But as I sit here today, he is symptom free and feeling fine. So we anticipate Ben practicing tomorrow."

Tomlin left the door open to keep Roethlisberger out of the lineup if there were any setbacks during practice this week. But if Roethlisberger is on the field for practice, he likely to play on Sunday.

With Charlie Batch out with a wrist injury, the Steelers would have to turn to third stringer Dennis Dixon on Sunday if Roethlisberger cannot suit up.

"I've been very pleased with Dennis' progress as a third quarterback," Tomlin said. "That's different, of course, than playing against the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday night television. No question we would have to do some things to help him if he plays in this game."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4685760

SteelerEmpire
11-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Gonna be a big game.... on Sunday Night Football.... prime time baby in front of the world !!!!

SteelersMomma
11-24-2009, 01:21 PM
I posted this in another thread but thought I would put it in here as well since it tags in of what I'm about to say. It's stupid to put him in. They will be after him like a freaking hawk. If he gets another concussion it could put him into a coma or worse case he can die. I'm sorry but I wouldn't want to take that risk with our starting QB. I say let him sit out for a week or two and play someone else. Every concussion he's having the more he is messing up his brain. He's had 4 diagnosed ones so far. Never know how many he's had that were undiagnosed.

Second impact syndrome (SIS) occurs when someone, usually an athlete, suffers a
second blow or violent snapping of the head while they're still suffering the effects of a previous concussion. When this happens, severe hematoma can result, with the patient quickly losing consciousness, and in many cases, lapsing into a coma and dying from respiratory failure caused by extreme pressure on the brain stem. Even more troubling is the fact that cases of SIS are more often seen in high school football players, since the grade one and grade two concussions they suffer too often go undiagnosed.
In addition, there is the problem of cognitive difficulty caused by a concussion. As Dr. Jacob Rachlin, a neurosurgeon at Boston's Beth Israel-Deaconess Medical Center explains, "In some cases, a patient will appear to have fully recovered from a concussion, yet months later, experience cognitive problems, such as difficulty concentrating or taking notes.” Though rare, such difficulties do occur, sometimes even after a minor concussion. So, as Doctor Rachlin urges, "If you do experience such difficulties, contact your doctor, don't ignore them. There are things that can be done to help."

http://www.rushpikespeak.com/doclib/Injury%20-%20Taking%20Concussion%20Seriously.pdf

devilsdancefloor
11-24-2009, 01:24 PM
Just hand the ball off.

you win! i dont know what you win , but you do!

Crow-Magnon
11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
I posted this in another thread but thought I would put it in here as well since it tags in of what I'm about to say. It's stupid to put him in. They will be after him like a freaking hawk. If he gets another concussion it could put him into a coma or worse case he can die. I'm sorry but I wouldn't want to take that risk with our starting QB. I say let him sit out for a week or two and play someone else. Every concussion he's having the more he is messing up his brain. He's had 4 diagnosed ones so far. Never know how many he's had that were undiagnosed.

http://www.rushpikespeak.com/doclib/Injury%20-%20Taking%20Concussion%20Seriously.pdf

The Ravens will be after him, like any other QB, but if Ben gets sacked and really hurt, it is not going to be a pretty picture for all concerned.

If he's cleared to play, good, but I hope if he does, he's healthy.

SteelersMomma
11-24-2009, 01:37 PM
The Ravens will be after him, like any other QB, but if Ben gets sacked and really hurt, it is not going to be a pretty picture for all concerned.

If he's cleared to play, good, but I hope if he does, he's healthy.

at the same time if you read what I posted that is from a medical website about concussions. They give the people an okay but they can not always detect the possible brain damage with a blood vessel and if he gets slammed it can burst that blood vessel which in turn he can be a veggie for the rest of his life depending on where it's located. I don't think its worth taking the chance.

Crow-Magnon
11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
at the same time if you read what I posted that is from a medical website about concussions. They give the people an okay but they can not always detect the possible brain damage with a blood vessel and if he gets slammed it can burst that blood vessel which in turn he can be a veggie for the rest of his life depending on where it's located. I don't think its worth taking the chance.

I don't either, and this season the NFL is taking a close look at concussions. Just because a player or the HC says "I'm/he's playing" doesn't mean what it used to mean anymore.

SteelersMomma
11-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't either, and this season the NFL is taking a close look at concussions. Just because a player or the HC says "I'm/he's playing" doesn't mean what it used to mean anymore.

ohh I agree. I mean this past weekend a lot of people had concussions including the QB that played for the cardinals in the super bowl last year. How ironic that both QB's that played the super bowl got put out on the same day.

jjpro11
11-24-2009, 01:47 PM
i am going to be blunt here and predict his career will be cut short due to injury some time in the future. i really hate to say it, but it just seems inevitable at this. he has has Lord know's how many concussions already and he is only 27. he takes more hits than any QB in the league. i know it sounds bad, but his style of play is going to cost him years off his career and possibly life. he is the toughest QB i have ever seen play football, but i really fear his health is going to deteriorate faster than what is should.

SteelersMomma
11-24-2009, 01:51 PM
i am going to be blunt here and predict his career will be cut short due to injury some time in the future. i really hate to say it, but it just seems inevitable at this. he has has Lord know's how many concussions already and he is only 27. he takes more hits than any QB in the league. i know it sounds bad, but his style of play is going to cost him years off his career and possibly life. he is the toughest QB i have ever seen play football, but i really fear his health is going to deteriorate faster than what is should.

I agree 100% and hes had so far 4 diagnosed concussions since he started playing for the Steelers. Who knows how many he had during college or how many he's had that went undiagnosed. The way he looked yesterday, there is no way it was a stage 1 concussion.. he had either a stage 2 or 3 because stage 1 you may not even know you had one. When you looked at him he was out of it after the incident. There is no way his brain is healed enough for him to jump back in and play. I wouldn't risk it even if he was. I guarantee that the coaches prob wont risk it either because it would be looked at as their fault if they let him go in and he gets seriously injured where he done for the rest of his career and could die or be a veggie.

Nadroj 20
11-24-2009, 02:23 PM
If hes passing the tests then he should be fine to play, but as a precation it might be better if he doesnt.

EIther way if he plays ill cheer for him and just hold my breathe every hit he takes and if he doesnt ill be cheering for dixon/whoever starts.

Crow-Magnon
11-24-2009, 02:37 PM

Blunt? No. Realistic? I think so.

I cannot name another NFL QB that takes as many risks, and takes as many hits, as Ben. Yeah, for a Steelers fan it makes for exciting football and has helped bring home two VL trophies, but that will catch up to you sooner rather than later.

Steelman16
11-24-2009, 02:44 PM
The dude was carried out on a stretcher last time he had a concussion. This time he almost made it up, or was trying to at least, which means he was halfway coherent after impact. Things look fuzzy when you look up. He did look a little glassy on the sideline though.

At this point if he's healthy we should play him. If not, we should go with Dixon and either use him, or a veteran, for spot duty.

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 02:46 PM
It's just a little bump on the head - rub some dirt on it, he'll be fine.

If it was a defensive player he'd been sent back in the game, QB's get all the headlines

jjpro11
11-24-2009, 02:46 PM
If hes passing the tests then he should be fine to play, but as a precation it might be better if he doesnt.

EIther way if he plays ill cheer for him and just hold my breathe every hit he takes and if he doesnt ill be cheering for dixon/whoever starts.

i don't know if those tests necessarily take in to consideration his concussion history, which is too many as it is. these tests also don't take into account what kind of punishment he is expected to face in the upcoming week. it's the coaches and team doctor's job to evaluate those variables and make a decision. we already saw what happened when Cowher threw him in vs Oakland back in 2006.. does anyone really want to see that again? this is the Ravens too.. easily the most physical opponent on the Steelers' schedule.

Nadroj 20
11-24-2009, 02:51 PM
i don't know if those tests necessarily take in to consideration his concussion history, which is too many as it is. these tests also don't take into account what kind of punishment he is expected to face in the upcoming week. it's the coaches and team doctor's job to evaluate those variables and make a decision. we already saw what happened when Cowher threw him in vs Oakland back in 2006.. does anyone really want to see that again? this is the Ravens too.. easily the most physical opponent on the Steelers' schedule.

Your right the tests are just taking into condsideration his symptoms of this concussion but im sure they can run tests on the brain to see what else is going on in there, thats why its probably safer to not play him as i said

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
The season's on the line here gentlemen! No more whining about bumps and bruises.
Get your lazy asses out there, smack them in the mouth and play 60 minutes!

Sunday Night under the lights - if this team can't get it up to win this game then they don't want it bad enough and deserve to sit home for the playoffs.

iloveben7
11-24-2009, 04:50 PM
^it was way more than a bump or bruise, it was Ben's 4th concussion.
His life is more important than a football game

Crow-Magnon
11-24-2009, 05:22 PM
I heard on a local sports radio channel on my way home from that Tomlin said Ben will be starting under center this Sunday night. Is that confirmed?

Psyychoward86
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I heard on a local sports radio channel on my way home from that Tomlin said Ben will be starting under center this Sunday night. Is that confirmed?

i cant find anywhere that confirms he's playing this Sunday. On NFL.com, Tomlin says he's playing as long as he continues to pass post-concussion tests. Even if he does play, it's hardly a sigh of relief for steeler fans :coffee:

LVSteelersfan
11-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I don't want to see Ben's career cut short. Even though I would cringe a lot if Dixon has to go Sunday, It might be the better deal. They can always use Willie as Dixon's backup. Surely he can throw it better than he can catch it.

Psyychoward86
11-24-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't want to see Ben's career cut short. Even though I would cringe a lot if Dixon has to go Sunday, It might be the better deal. They can always use Willie as Dixon's backup. Surely he can throw it better than he can catch it.

....Willie?

SteelersMomma
11-24-2009, 05:39 PM
i cant find anywhere that confirms he's playing this Sunday. On NFL.com, Tomlin says he's playing as long as he continues to pass post-concussion tests. Even if he does play, it's hardly a sigh of relief for steeler fans :coffee:

I agree. For me I would be more worried about him getting injured the the rest of the game. I would hate for something to happen to him all because of a football game.

Ravnet
11-24-2009, 05:53 PM
It's just a little bump on the head - rub some dirt on it, he'll be fine.

No more whining about bumps and bruises.

This is sad.

beSteelmyheart
11-24-2009, 06:03 PM
^it was way more than a bump or bruise, it was Ben's 4th concussion.
His life is more important than a football game
Thank you!
I don't like the idea of rushing him back in, either, & maybe we as fans are taking this kind of thing too lightly . I'm already wondering how these head injuries are going to affect him in the long term, especially 10+ years from now.

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 06:09 PM
The season's on the line here gentlemen! No more whining about bumps and bruises.
Get your lazy asses out there, smack them in the mouth and play 60 minutes!

Sunday Night under the lights - if this team can't get it up to win this game then they don't want it bad enough and deserve to sit home for the playoffs.
A concussion is more than a bump and a bruise, it's a brain injury. Another concussion could put Ben out for season or worse. Now that Ben had a concussion just last week, he is 3 times more likely to have another. In other words, a concussion is a serious injury

BTW, I do believe multiple concussion's ended Aikman's career prematurely.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 06:20 PM
BTW, I do believe multiple concussion's ended Aikman's career prematurely.

There is also research that believes multiple concussions lead to dementia and other mental issues. Just google John Mackey if you wanna find out more.

SteelersMomma
11-24-2009, 06:26 PM
There is also research that believes multiple concussions lead to dementia and other mental issues. Just google John Mackey if you wanna find out more.

yeah look at steve young as another example. It was because of concussions that he ended his career a lot earlier than expected. Ben's condition is not one to be passed by as a knot in your back. This is a huge ordeal that can kill the man with one hard blow to the head.

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Put a band-aid on it.

Get out there and hit somebody.

Everybody makes it sound like football caused everything. It was the wreck.

His FIRST concussion was from hitting a windshield without a helmet on in 2006...then 4 months later he got dinged in Atlanta, 2008 he got one in Dec, then now.

I blame Chunky Soup.

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Yes, it does also lead to dementia... I forgot that one.

I blame Chunky Soup. I blame you.

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 07:54 PM
I blame all the injuries. I guess we can add Ben's head to the china cabinet along with Troy's knees and Timmons' ankles.

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 07:59 PM
I blame all the injuries. I guess we can add Ben's head to the china cabinet along with Troy's knees and Timmons' ankles.
I blame Arians and Jeff Reed for the injuries.

24seven
11-24-2009, 08:05 PM
I'll blame Ray Lewis.. but he's probably innocent..

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 09:58 PM
I'll blame Ray Lewis.. but he's probably innocent..
No, Ray Lewis isn't to blame for the injuries. If any Raven is to blame it's Ed Reed or Haloti Ngata.

Ravnet
11-24-2009, 10:18 PM
No, Ray Lewis isn't to blame for the injuries. If any Raven is to blame it's Ed Reed or Haloti Ngata.

More so Suggs/Scott.

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 10:41 PM
More so Suggs/Scott.
Bart Scott is a New York Jet,

devilsdancefloor
11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
I just hope that if ben is struggling they pull the plug i still have nightmares of the game in oakland.

LVSteelersfan
11-25-2009, 12:25 AM
....Willie?

That was a JOKE son. (in my best Foghorn Leghorn voice)

fansince'76
11-25-2009, 12:32 AM
Thank you!
I don't like the idea of rushing him back in, either, & maybe we as fans are taking this kind of thing too lightly . I'm already wondering how these head injuries are going to affect him in the long term, especially 10+ years from now.

Roger Staubach suffered approximately 20 concussions during his career and at nearly 70 years of age is still quite lucid. Not minimizing it, just saying. :noidea:

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 09:41 AM
I blame Arians and Jeff Reed for the injuries.

Yes, this is true...Reed and Arians have been secretly sabotaging the Steelers players. They are PURE EVIL!!!!!

dcsteel5804
11-25-2009, 09:47 AM
I would almost rather see Dennis Dixon play and let Ben get another week to recover from the "concussion like symptoms". I'd rather not mortgage the future for one game or possibly one season. Ben can be good, excuse me, great, for a long time, just as long has he's not brought to an early retirement due to head injuries.

Christian Snyder
11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Yes, this is true...Reed and Arians have been secretly sabotaging the Steelers players. They are PURE EVIL!!!!!
Yes, they're pure evil. I think they should be burned at the stake.

Fire Haley
11-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Stop the hysteria.

Ben was back at practice today. All is well.

Angus Burgher
11-25-2009, 09:28 PM

More proof that Ray is irrelevant. :chuckle:

steel9guy
11-25-2009, 10:24 PM
I just hope this concussion stuff doesn't turn into troy aikman and have his career end early.

Fire Haley
11-26-2009, 03:23 AM
Ben back at practice and he's PISSED - trying to take his jarb!

Practice as usual for Steelers' Roethlisberger

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/images/200911/fong_steelers01.2_500.jpg

A huddle of reporters around quarterback Dennis Dixon yesterday prompted a response across the Steelers' locker room from Ben Roethlisberger.

"Tell them how you really feel about taking my job, Double D," Roethlisberger said just loud enough.

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09330/1016511-66.stm#ixzz0Xx3dFFX7

fansince'76
11-26-2009, 03:28 AM
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/images/200911/fong_steelers01.2_500.jpg

He's a little young to be showing so much salt in his beard stubble, isn't he? That didn't happen to me until I was well into my 30s. :noidea: