PDA

View Full Version : Wearing Down

steelers7807
11-24-2009, 07:22 AM
It looks to me that the team is just wearing down from playing a "hard" schedule last year and going to the superbowl. Too many injuries and not enough energy or push like last year. Even Baltimore looks to be in the same shape. I don't think this year will turn out like the last post superbowl season. We should, with the talent at least, make it to the playoffs but not the superbowl. Hopfully they can rest up in the off season and come out refreshed in 2010. I am not saying the season is over but that is why repeating as superbowl champions is hard to do in this day and age. :tt:

Steelers>NFL
11-24-2009, 08:14 AM
I don't think it is wearing down. I think it is the big "inconsistant" word. Throughout the whole team's play.
They have not played one good solid 60 minute football this season yet. Not one. Time is running out!

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 09:44 AM
I don't think it is wearing down. I think it is the big "inconsistant" word. Throughout the whole team's play.
They have not played one good solid 60 minute football this season yet. Not one. Time is running out!
You're right, the defense has yet to play a full 60 minutes and unless they start playing a full 60 minutes....... we're not going to the playoffs.

GO STEELERS!!!!:tt05:

FacemeIke
11-24-2009, 09:51 AM
I'd agree with the wearing down theory. We played a full month longer then most teams last year, and its been a consistant thing the past 7 or 8 years to see super bowl teams completely miss the playoffs the following season.

Rick5895
11-24-2009, 10:11 AM
You're right, the defense has yet to play a full 60 minutes and unless they start playing a full 60 minutes....... we're not going to the playoffs.

GO STEELERS!!!!:tt05:

We have yet to play a full 60 minutes especially on D. We seem to dominate the 2 1/2 to 3 quarters of the game the fall, that is consistant with wearing down, remember we are an older defense and the injuries, especially to Aaron Smith and Troy being factors.

Edman
11-24-2009, 11:23 AM
Ask the 2007 Colts or the 2008 Giants if they "wore down" in the middle of the season. Both played more games in their Championship seasons than the 2008 Steelers. No bye week to help. And they weren't blowing against shitty teams like the Bears and Chiefs due to their own mistakes.

This still won their respective divisions and made the playoffs anyway. Even if they failed to repeat, at least they tried. It's unrealistic to expect the Steelers to repeat and win SB's every year, but at least try.

I don't buy the "SB Hangover" excuse anymore. This team has lost their focus and is playing sub-standard sloppy fundamental football. It's mental, not physical.

Christian Snyder
11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
We have yet to play a full 60 minutes especially on D. We seem to dominate the 2 1/2 to 3 quarters of the game the fall, that is consistant with wearing down, remember we are an older defense and the injuries, especially to Aaron Smith and Troy being factors.
You're right. Wearing down is the word.

jjpro11
11-24-2009, 01:38 PM
the only reason they would be wearing down is due to age, not because of what happened last season. i don't think the Steelers teams of the 70s wore down winning the Super Bowl back-to-back twice.. sure, they played a couple less games.. but players back then were not in the kind of condition athletes of today are. if there was ever a game we would have worn down, it would have been the Denver game due to the altitude. instead we dominated the second half.. this team is playing inconsistent. that's why they are sucking it up out there.

tube517
11-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Yep, Farrior even said they made mental mistakes against the Chiefs.

Also, the passing game has been shaky since Minnesota bottled them up. Except the second half against Denver, they haven't looked in sync. Even Hines said since the Vikes game, teams have been playing to prevent the deep ball.

Ask the 2007 Colts or the 2008 Giants if they "wore down" in the middle of the season. Both played more games in their Championship seasons than the 2008 Steelers. No bye week to help. And they weren't blowing against shitty teams like the Bears and Chiefs due to their own mistakes.

This still won their respective divisions and made the playoffs anyway. Even if they failed to repeat, at least they tried. It's unrealistic to expect the Steelers to repeat and win SB's every year, but at least try.

I don't buy the "SB Hangover" excuse anymore. This team has lost their focus and is playing sub-standard sloppy fundamental football. It's mental, not physical.

Edman
11-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Yep, Farrior even said they made mental mistakes against the Chiefs.

Also, the passing game has been shaky since Minnesota bottled them up. Except the second half against Denver, they haven't looked in sync. Even Hines said since the Vikes game, teams have been playing to prevent the deep ball.

Then stop going deep and take what the Defense gives you.

Arians has failed to adjust his scheme and the offense is suffering as a result. Ben isn't helping out either with his impatience. It has happened against the Bengals and again against the Chiefs.

smokin3000gt
11-24-2009, 06:40 PM
The bottom line is despite what we've done so far this season, it's one game at a time. If we can get to the post season, everything else is irrelevant. This team never looks like the same team reg season vs post season.

AllD
11-24-2009, 06:51 PM
The entire issue is that EXPECTATIONS were much higher than they have ever been since the 1970s. If this were the 1980s or 1990s we would just eat it and reminice.

As winners of the Super Bowl in two of the last 4 years, winning more SB's than any other team, being reigning champs and having a beneficial schedule have effectively set the bar pretty high.

These facts put targets on our backs, we are almost every opponent's Super Bowl, and it seems gave false confidence to some of the players. They forgot they still need to show up and execute. Some of the coaching has been suspect too by giving too many players the benefit of the doubt and letting STs go badly for too long.

I give props to Hines Ward for getting freaking angry at the situation. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to repeat and for most "NEVER" in a lifetime.

I will always love my Steelers as long as we have good ownership and good coaching, but somebody needs to wake them the F up already. Play like you are champs, not chumps and whipping boys.

Lots of blame to go around from coaches to players. Very few can run out on the field during the introduction without being embarassed. Just fix it NOW!

markymarc
11-25-2009, 11:47 AM
I don't believe the wearing down theory. The problem is us being way too inconsistent and playing down to the level of our competition. This team needs to figure it out quickly and get back to playing like champions :tt02: