PDA

View Full Version : Steelers scramble for QB, possibly Palko

mesaSteeler
11-24-2009, 06:22 AM
Steelers scramble for QB, possibly Palko
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1242/2009/november/23/steelers-scramble-for-qb-possibly-palko.html
By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Monday November 23, 2009 11:48 PM

Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger (7) lies on the ground after being sacked by Kansas City Chiefs defensive end Andy Studebaker (96) during overtime of Sunday's overtime 27-24 loss. AP photo by CHARLIE RIEDEL

PITTSBURGH — With Charlie Batch possibly done for the rest of the season, the Steelers want to add another quarterback.

And that new QB could be Tyler Palko.

With Batch requiring surgery to fix his broken wrist suffered in Sunday’s overtime loss at Kansas City, another quarterback will be added to either the active roster or to the eight-man practice squad.

Sources tell The Times that Palko, a former West Allegheny High School and University of Pittsburgh star, will be signed.

An announcement could come as early as this afternoon at coach Mike Tomlin’s weekly press conference.

Palko, who went undrafted out of Pitt, spent time with the New Orleans Saints in 2007. This past summer, he was on the Arizona Cardinals’ roster but didn’t survive the final training camp cut. Currently, Palko is under contract with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.

Batch, who is expected to undergo surgery as early as today, entered Sunday’s game only after starter Ben Roethlisberger left with a mild concussion.

The Steel Valley High School product was on the field for only four plays. He was apparently hurt on his second snap after throwing a short incomplete pass to running back Rashard Mendenhall. Batch was knocked down on the play by blitzing linebacker Corey Mays, but didn’t seem to be hit hard.

Batch grabbed his wrist for a moment after his throw,but remained in the game and handed off to Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore for the Steelers’ last two offensive snaps.
Advertisement Click here

After the game, Tomlin did not mention Batch when discussing injuries.

Likewise, Batch never mentioned his injury when he spoke to the media and there didn’t appear to be anything wrong with him.

“We are confirming that Charlie is injured, but we have no comment at this time,” a Steelers spokesman said. “We will let Coach Tomlin comment on any injuries (at today’s press conference).”

With Batch out, second-year pro Dennis Dixon moves into the backup role.

There’s a chance that Dixon may have to start Sunday night in Baltimore if Roethlisberger isn’t cleared to play but the Steelers are optimistic that Roethlisberger will play against the Ravens.

Roethlisberger went through a series of tests Monday and will undergo further testing this week. Results of those tests will ultimately determine his status for the important AFC North game against the Ravens (5-5).

With Batch out, there were several internet reports that the Steelers would try out Jeff Garcia, 39, and Cleo Lemon, 30, a pair of veteran QBs who are not currently on any team’s roster. That may still happen.

But for the time being, it appears Palko will be the team’s third QB, even if he’s on the practice squad.

HometownGal
11-24-2009, 06:26 AM
I say give the kid a shot. He was a little hot-tempered at Pitt, but hopefully he's grown up a bit since then and has himself under better control.

The_WARDen
11-24-2009, 06:38 AM
Joy! Tyler friggin Palko! He'll make you appreciate what you have in Big Ben, that's for sure!

:puke:

Tone's Toes
11-24-2009, 06:54 AM
I've always liked Palko. He's far from perfect, but he could be a decent backup QB in the NFL someday.

Dino 6 Rings
11-24-2009, 08:09 AM
LETS GO PITT!

SteelerFanInStl
11-24-2009, 08:30 AM
The fact that they didn't sign a veteran QB tells me that they're comfortable with Dennis Dixon. I'll take that as a good sign.

Indo
11-24-2009, 08:34 AM
How about Shane Falco instead

brick
11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
only if we get orlando bloom as a WR

supa_fly_steeler
11-24-2009, 09:38 AM
i Heard they just signed Palko from steel city insider

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
The fact that they didn't sign a veteran QB tells me that they're comfortable with Dennis Dixon. I'll take that as a good sign.

Or...........that if they cant beat KC with Ben, then without Ben its just time to focus on 2010 and the draft.

I too vote for Shane Falco and hope we get the cheerleaders too. :thumbsup:

Indo
11-24-2009, 09:56 AM
Or...........that if they cant beat KC with Ben, then without Ben its just time to focus on 2010 and the draft.

I too vote for Shane Falco and hope we get the cheerleaders too. :thumbsup:

Thunderskull !!!

SteelMember
11-24-2009, 11:39 AM
How about Shane Falco instead

Or even Johnny Utah. :wink02: :chuckle:

Indo
11-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Or even Johnny Utah. :wink02: :chuckle:

Or Johnny Moxon

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 03:02 PM
OK, can Johnny Utah even play?? Where did he play his college ball?? I know Magnum PI played at Navy, Mark Harmon played UCLA and Josh Duhamel played at Minot State(now getting some playing time in the ATL)

But I dont actually know the credentials of Utah. I'd still rather go with Shane Falco, despite the fact that he lives on a boat and seems to only throw to deaf TE's.

SteelMember
11-24-2009, 03:06 PM
:rofl:

Well, he does have a bad knee. That's why he became an F... B... I... agent, but I think his arm is still good. :chuckle:

Falco and Utah are very close relatives you know. They could almost be brothers.

Indo
11-24-2009, 03:09 PM
OK, can Johnny Utah even play?? Where did he play his college ball?? I know Magnum PI played at Navy, Mark Harmon played UCLA and Josh Duhamel played at Minot State(now getting some playing time in the ATL)

But I dont actually know the credentials of Utah. I'd still rather go with Shane Falco, despite the fact that he lives on a boat and seems to only throw to deaf TE's.

"Winners always want the ball"
Plus, his girlfriend is Hotttt!

revefsreleets
11-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Johnny Utah played for The Ohio State Buckeyes, so that's no good...the Buckeyes only produce NFL busts...

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 03:12 PM
"Winners always want the ball"
Plus, his girlfriend is Hotttt!

"Pain heals.....chicks dig scars.......glory lasts forever!"

How can you not want an inspirational leader like that over Tyler Palko??? Now.....Jeff Garcia's wife. :jawdrop:

SteelMember
11-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Of course there's always Johnny B. Goode.

That kid has a head on his shoulders. I mean, any blue chip prospect like him that would just take a simple state college ride must have his priorities in order.

He'd look good in the black and gold... For the vet minimum, of course.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Of course there's always Johnny B. Goode.

That kid has a head on his shoulders. I mean, any blue chip prospect like him that would just take a simple state college ride must have his priorities in order.

He'd look good in the black and gold... For the vet minimum, of course.

:rofl: And.......his coach had a cool car. :thumbsup:

Boru
11-24-2009, 06:20 PM
I heard Palko signed tonite...

markymarc
11-25-2009, 11:03 AM
I like the signing of Tyler Palko. Better than bringing back Mike Reilly. Also, it's very nice to see that they have complete confidence in Dennis Dixon to play if Ben would get hurt again. It's time to see what we have in Dixon :tt02: