PDA

View Full Version : Our Run Defense is Suffocating

Merchant
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
At its rightful place at #1 in the league right now. Win or lose, something I can always take pride in. What's our streak now anyway of consecutive games without allowing a 100 yard rusher? I think we're closing in on the Ravens record of.. 38? I can't even imagine a rusher gaining 100+ on us anytime in the near future :tt03:

sharkweek
11-24-2009, 01:02 PM
32 games is last I heard

StainlessStill
11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
And to think we lost one of the best 3-4 ends in the entire league, Aaron Smith AND his backup! Ziggy and Eason has proven they could get the job done within our front 3 and that's for sure encouraging to any Steelers fan.

fansince'76
11-24-2009, 01:04 PM
32 games is last I heard

Yeah, I think the last time it happened was towards the end of the '07 season against Jax when Aaron Smith went down with the torn bicep.

StainlessStill
11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I think the last time it happened was towards the end of the '07 season against Jax when Aaron Smith went down with the torn bicep.

Correct.

Merchant
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Damn you Fred Taylor!!

We gotta watch out for Ray Rice sunday though. But if we handled Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson we should be able to handle him

steeltheone
11-24-2009, 02:32 PM
It might , just might, mean the 34 yr old Smith is a tad overrated. Atleast on this board.

Merchant
11-24-2009, 02:36 PM
It might , just might, mean the 34 yr old Smith is a tad overrated. Atleast on this board.

*gasp*

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 03:08 PM
It could mean that with the 13th ranked pass defense, its easier to pass on the Steelers, so why bother running. :noidea:

Preacher
11-24-2009, 03:19 PM

No, I think it means that our young, first round draft pick, is coming up to speed very fast under the tutledge of the 34 yr old Smith and the rest of the D line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
No, I think it means that our young, first round draft pick, is coming up to speed very fast under the tutledge of the 34 yr old Smith and the rest of the D line.

Preach, I gotta disagree on this one. I would say the development of just about every D-lineman over the past decade here has got to be credited to Coach John Mitchell. Later round picks like Keisel-7th, Smith-5th, Hoke-7th and castoffs like Kirschke and Eason owe a ton to coach Mitchell. I think he is gonna work some magic with Sunny Harris too.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Preach, I gotta disagree on this one. I would say the development of just about every D-lineman over the past decade here has got to be credited to Coach John Mitchell. Later round picks like Keisel-7th, Smith-5th, Hoke-7th and castoffs like Kirschke and Eason owe a ton to coach Mitchell. I think he is gonna work some magic with Sunny Harris too. i sure hope so...sure would make draft day a lil easier. :applaudit:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 04:13 PM
i sure hope so...sure would make draft day a lil easier. :applaudit:

Basically looks like Smith will be back next season, so Smith, Keisel, Hood are the locks, with Eason and Harris battling out for the other DE spot. The real question is does Hampton get extended or tagged when a rookie is drafted to replace him in 2 seasons. Our D line is still pretty solid.

I'm gonna hope for a ILB this draft..........that way, the Steelers will take an OT.

LVSteelersfan
11-24-2009, 04:20 PM
I actually heard Hood's named mentioned in the last game. I think that was the first time I even knew he was on the field. I realize his position is not a glamour one that will get a lot of sacks, but hearing his name on a busted play was a good thing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 04:22 PM
I actually heard Hood's named mentioned in the last game. I think that was the first time I even knew he was on the field. I realize his position is not a glamour one that will get a lot of sacks, but hearing his name on a busted play was a good thing.

I have noticed him the past few games and he definately gets some push in the pass rush and "gets skinny" to squeeze between blockers and disrupt the QB. Hood is gonna be solid.........he just needs to spend the offseason in the weight room and become a better run stuffer.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Basically looks like Smith will be back next season, so Smith, Keisel, Hood are the locks, with Eason and Harris battling out for the other DE spot. The real question is does Hampton get extended or tagged when a rookie is drafted to replace him in 2 seasons. Our D line is still pretty solid.

I'm gonna hope for a ILB this draft..........that way, the Steelers will take an OT.
so you think kirshke is done ?

Psyychoward86
11-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Well, considering our fairly porous pass defense (13th in the league), especially porous without Troy in the there, maybe that can be associated with our great run defense numbers. I remember at one point the redskinswere 1st in the pass defense, but they had such an abysmal run defense it was obvious why their pass defense was ranked where it was. Not to be a negative nancy, but yeah i gotta agree. I like how our run defense is playing for the most part.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 04:33 PM
so you think kirshke is done ?

I have thought the Steelers were gonna go with some kind of youth movement for the past 2 seasons, but Kirschke always seems to come thru and make the 53. I just think bewteen the back issues, calf, his 14th season in the NFL and drafting of Hood and Harris, with the Keisel extension.............this should be his final season in B&G.

But, watch Travis go and prove me wrong again. :doh:

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 04:57 PM
I have thought the Steelers were gonna go with some kind of youth movement for the past 2 seasons, but Kirschke always seems to come thru and make the 53. I just think bewteen the back issues, calf, his 14th season in the NFL and drafting of Hood and Harris, with the Keisel extension.............this should be his final season in B&G.

But, watch Travis go and prove me wrong again. :doh:
same here. i didn't see eason or kirshke getting another extension, or kiesel for that matter, but here they are.

markymarc
11-25-2009, 10:16 AM
Well at least our rush defense is performing at a high level. Our pass defense.......not so much! It's great to see Ziggy Hood coming around now. I still believe Sonny Harris can be a very good DL player for us.

I would not be surprised to see John Mitchell be the front runner if and when Dick LeBeau decides to retire.

fansince'76
11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
I would not be surprised to see John Mitchell be the front runner if and when Dick LeBeau decides to retire.

I'd think Keith Butler's name would be in the hat as well.

Merchant
11-25-2009, 11:10 AM
I think our pass defense is good too. It's just that teams won't dare to run it on us so they pass 75% of the time and that ends up with our pass defense 'giving up a lot of yards/game'

Looking at the stats.. the Giants are 2nd in pass defense.. LOL come on now.. the team whose secondary has been criticized all season

devilsdancefloor
11-25-2009, 11:38 AM
at this point i dont care if we are number 1 in all catagories we gotta finish games. giving up huge chunks of yards and TD's in the 4th quarter with leads isnt gonna get it done.

HometownGal
11-25-2009, 12:06 PM

:thumbsup::applaudit::thumbsup:

I can't believe any Steelers fan who pays attention to the game could EVER call Aaron Smith overrated. :jawdrop: :shake02:

markymarc
11-25-2009, 12:31 PM

You are right. It would be either Keith Butler or John Mitchell!

Merchant
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
No. Don't remind me that Lebeau's retiring soon. It's depressing.

steeltheone
11-25-2009, 06:54 PM

I can't believe any Steelers fan who pays attention to the game could EVER call Aaron Smith overrated. :jawdrop: :shake02:

Have we had any trouble stopping the run since he has been out? NO...Was very good, But you Can't keep a bunch of 30 something players.

steel9guy
11-25-2009, 09:26 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Shea
11-25-2009, 09:35 PM

I completely agree.

It's a shame he doesn't get the recognition he deserves outside of Pittsburgh, Pro Bowls etc., but to have a Steelers fan not recognize his immense talent puzzles me. The man is a beast on the football field - has been one of the best DE in the league for years.

I dread the day he retires.

Christian Snyder
11-25-2009, 09:45 PM
It might , just might, mean the 34 yr old Smith is a tad overrated. Atleast on this board. So, even though last year he had 44 tackles, 16 assists, and 5.5 sacks he's overated? Interesting.

Christian Snyder
11-25-2009, 10:07 PM
Do me a favor, don't EVER remind of this again... It's saddening.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2009, 10:16 PM

Yeah, I am with you. I think Butler will be the front runner and I'd be excited to see him succeed LeBeau. Something tells me Butler watches closely and is gonna be another successful coach of prominence.

Steeldude
11-26-2009, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I am with you. I think Butler will be the front runner and I'd be excited to see him succeed LeBeau. Something tells me Butler watches closely and is gonna be another successful coach of prominence.

i hope he is aggressive like capers. i don't want another haslett