PDA

View Full Version : If Dennis Dixon....

SteelerFanInATL
11-24-2009, 04:01 PM
.... had to start on Sunday, how do you think he would do? Keep in mind that when Big Ben got his chance it was his rookie year and Tommy Gun was the starter until he went down with an injury. This Dixons 2nd year in the system, can use his legs to run and has a great arm. I think he would do well. Lets get some feedback, WHATS YOUR OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steeltheone
11-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Big Ben and Dixon are worlds apart at the same stage. Not saying Dixon can't be successful. His first start Just does not need to happen all at once in the middle of a playoff race and against the Ravens.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 04:17 PM
If he played that Slash role in the Wildcat like everybody knows he is great at, then I think we have a chance. Otherwise if he had to play conventional QB....I think the Ravens would win.

I dont understand why he never got a chance to return kicks or play WR, but instead Logan and McDonald were signed to do that?? An incredible athletic talent like Dixon is a waste holding a clipboard.

Shoes
11-24-2009, 04:19 PM
I really like Dixon, sure he doesn't have a lot of play time but he does have a strong arm and can run. Some have said "he doesn't fit our system"....well what is our system?
There is no way you can compare him to Ben, in fact you can't compare Ben to any QB in the NFL IMO. Obviously the coaching staff agrees with me :chuckle:

SteelerFanInATL
11-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Big Ben and Dixon are worlds apart at the same stage. Not saying Dixon can't be successful. His first start Just does not need to happen all at once in the middle of a playoff race and against the Ravens.

I agree, but we can't control the timing of everything. The Ravens would be a tough opponet for him. We know now what we have in Ben, but when he got his first start did we know how good he could be? If it had to be I would be excited to see Dixon get a chance to play. Most def I want BB back, but it would be interesting to see DD would execute. Just my $.02

revefsreleets
11-24-2009, 04:36 PM
If he played that Slash role in the Wildcat like everybody knows he is great at, then I think we have a chance. Otherwise if he had to play conventional QB....I think the Ravens would win.

I dont understand why he never got a chance to return kicks or play WR, but instead Logan and McDonald were signed to do that?? An incredible athletic talent like Dixon is a waste holding a clipboard.

Oh, what it must be like to be so much more intelligent than the rest of us...Gosh, you're really super and swell.

On the serious tip, the dude has been in the league for a year and half now...if Ben goes down, he's got to be ready to play. He may make some mistakes, but so does Ben. I'm sure he'll do fine if he's called to do so...

steelreserve
11-24-2009, 04:47 PM
He'd do OK. I don't think he's any worse than Batch. And like Ben in his first year, he certainly has the supporting cast to succeed.

revefsreleets
11-24-2009, 04:58 PM
Even though he's (cough cough) only a 100% pocket passing dedicated QB, that dude is actually lightning fast (4.49 40) and a great running QB...I know I don't know as much as some people about football and it was stupid to suggest that he actually contribute on the field, but, my ignorance of football aside, he DID rush 258 times at Oregon for 1208 yards (4.7 average).

If he got in trouble, and scrambled out of it or turned downfield coverage into some positive yards with his legs, it'd give the defense something else to be concerned with....

HughC
11-24-2009, 05:03 PM
If I had to make my choice between Dixon and some free agent veteran signed off the street, I'd rather go with Dixon. He's had two years to learn the playbook and routes, whereas a free agent would have just a couple days to get that down. granted the FA QB would have experience at NFL game speed, but I'd still rather go with Dixon; don't forget, he was a pretty good college QB. A year ago you saw a QB that has spent time in the QB meetings and learning the playbook can do okay even without experience when Cassel stepped in and won 11 games.

jjpro11
11-24-2009, 05:06 PM
nobody outside of the coaching staff really knows what he would do.. he's only had one career pass in the NFL.

Shoes
11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
nobody outside of the coaching staff really knows what he would do.. he's only had one career pass in the NFL.

I guess that's why Mike T. said he's going to play if Ben can't.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 05:18 PM

Dixon has the tools to be a good QB, but its one thing to watch the Ravens defense on film, but another to stand in and face a blitz without ever seeing it 1st hand before.

Besides, if Ben got his pocket collapsed vs KC, then I really think Dixon would be under fire(as Ben will) against the Rats with a rookie LG. I like Dixon, but think if you are gonna get your feet wet in the NFL, its best against a more vanilla defense than Baltimore.

LVSteelersfan
11-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I would like to think he has a strong enough arm to throw those out routes that Batch almost got intercepted on last week. Plus he can give you some Vince Young/Michael Vick (good lord I hate saying that name) kind of speed and elusiveness. I just don't think the Ravens is a good team to have to start with.

MACH1
11-24-2009, 05:27 PM
I may not be as smart as some people around here, but running for a lot of yards in college isn't the same as facing the baltimore D in your first NFL start. But what do I know.

supa_fly_steeler
11-24-2009, 05:28 PM
i Said before, but the he's currently the most likely best passing accuracy qb out of all the dual threats in the league imo. Goes along way, more dangerous than Vince Young, Troy Smith, Pat White ect.

Psyychoward86
11-24-2009, 05:29 PM
i doubt it would go well, especially not against a Ravens defense in primetime. Albeit, it's a Ravens defense missing Jim Leonard. Bart Scott, and the key mastermind Rex Ryan, but it's still quite good. That pass defense has looked permeable this season, but Dixon would most definitely make lots of critical mistakes. I really hope it doesnt come to Ben playing terribly because of his concussion, and then Dixon playing. :hope:

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 05:33 PM
dixon was a better qb coming out of college than kordell was....he may not be quite as athletic as korkie, was but he's definetly an athlete and is definetly a better pocket passer than korkie.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 05:39 PM
dixon was a better qb coming out of college than kordell was....he may not be quite as athletic as korkie, was but he's definetly an athlete and is definetly a better pocket passer than korkie.

Yeah, it looks like Mike Mayock agreed with your assessment of Dixon when comparing him to Vince Young.

Mike Mayock, the NFL Network's draft expert, believes Dixon is a better passer than Young but not as explosive a runner. He projects Dixon as a fourth-round pick.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1127965/2/index.htm

Others believed he was gonna be a WR like Randle El or a KR like Josh Cribbs.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 05:47 PM
was that before or after he got hurt ?

supa_fly_steeler
11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
After it follows him after his injury on first page.

If Dixon plays i would like to see him do What Vick did to the linebacker on deking him out of control, but just to Ray Ray to make it more awesome to watch, also to stiff arm Ngatas face down to the ground on a goal line and i would be happy lol.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 06:04 PM
was that before or after he got hurt ?

That was after his knee injury. When asked where Dixon would have been drafted without the Injury Mayock said "who knows". I think we definately got Dixon undervalued and needed a future backup, so it was as good a pick (hopefully better) than any other 5th round QB(Brian St. Pierre, Tee Martin)

StainlessStill
11-24-2009, 06:22 PM
.... had to start on Sunday, how do you think he would do? Keep in mind that when Big Ben got his chance it was his rookie year and Tommy Gun was the starter until he went down with an injury. This Dixons 2nd year in the system, can use his legs to run and has a great arm. I think he would do well. Lets get some feedback, WHATS YOUR OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My opinion? That Dennis Dixon would fail miserably and life in Pittsburgh would find out really quick how life could truly be without Roethlisberger at the helm.

srk173
11-24-2009, 07:09 PM
If Ben is healthy, I bet we see Dixon on the field at some point. Being the #3 QB he could not go into a game unless both QBS were hurt. Now he can come in with out any major roster problems. It is the birth of Kordell^2.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 07:58 PM
That was after his knee injury. When asked where Dixon would have been drafted without the Injury Mayock said "who knows". I think we definately got Dixon undervalued and needed a future backup, so it was as good a pick (hopefully better) than any other 5th round QB(Brian St. Pierre, Tee Martin)
looking back on that draft, i'm not so sure he would have went in the first, even had he not been injured . i think ryan and flaco still go ahead of him, but he may very well have went in the top of the second. maybe miami , st lious, kc , or san fran ? i think he fefintely goes before brohm or henne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft

JEFF4i
11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Let's talk about this chap. He wasn't bad for Oregon, not overly flashy, but good rating and good TD-Int ratio. He's also got some legs on him...

Check him out over here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DeznD1ccv4

He's no Ben, but the real Steelers I know and love have the versatility and ability to use him if necessary.

GoSlash27
11-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I liked him when we picked him up, but then again I liked Kordell. I have concerns about his durability.

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 09:05 PM
guess you didn't see the already exsisting dennis dixon right below....:popcorn:

JEFF4i
11-24-2009, 09:05 PM
Hmm, I searched for it but couldn't find it.

revefsreleets
11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
OK, well, he could run in college, but he can't run in the NFL. He can't really pass as well as Ben, so, um, I guess he's no good as an NFL QB. And he isn't going to play RB or WR, and it was completely wrong of me to suggest that we utilize the guy in some fashion, even though he clearly isn't ever going to be an NFL QB....or, whatever....so.....um.....

What the Hell is he doing on the team then?

We should just forfeit if he has to start I guess...I mean, according to the site brain trust, with a failed OC, a horrible failure of a line, Baltimore's elite defense, and a QB only good enough to play the position in college, we're clearly doomed with Dixon at the helm. But I dare not call him a bust or there's a whole other ration of shit that will reign down....

I'm sure glad we have super geniuses on the board who are always right and know everything so us stupid fans don't hurt ourselves with our worthless retarded opinions....

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 11:29 PM
looking back on that draft, i'm not so sure he would have went in the first, even had he not been injured . i think ryan and flaco still go ahead of him, but he may very well have went in the top of the second. maybe miami , st lious, kc , or san fran ? i think he fefintely goes before brohm or henne.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_NFL_Draft

I dont know if he would have gone before Brohm or Henne. I think a lot of NFL teams are a bit concerned about QB's that operate out of the spread and rush for a lot of yards. Ryan, Flacco, Brohm, Henne all came out of relatively pro style offenses.

IMO, a lot of the same questions will surround Tim Tebow and he was(is) much better of a collegiate QB than Dixon before the injury. I think you are right that Dixon probably would have been a 2nd round pick if not injured.

MasterOfPuppets
11-25-2009, 12:07 AM
I dont know if he would have gone before Brohm or Henne. I think a lot of NFL teams are a bit concerned about QB's that operate out of the spread and rush for a lot of yards. Ryan, Flacco, Brohm, Henne all came out of relatively pro style offenses.

IMO, a lot of the same questions will surround Tim Tebow and he was(is) much better of a collegiate QB than Dixon before the injury. I think you are right that Dixon probably would have been a 2nd round pick if not injured.
i could be wrong but i'm thinking brohm and henne were drafted as nothing more than "insurance" just incase the 2 young qb's in front of them ( rogers,beck) didn't pan out. i think dixon would have drafted with starter or future starter in mind. brohem couldn't even land a backup roll in GB...he's now with the bills.practice squad i believe.
tebow ? don't really know what to think of him. great college qb...without a doubt. but i don't think his game will translate to the pro's. to me he's a danny wurfell (sp) that can run. i don't think he has the arm to hit the deep outs.
sure woulda been interesting to see where bradford woulda went in the draft last year.

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Tim Tebow as a QB <<< Graham Harrell, let alone Dennis Dixon. He has a big wind-up, horrible mechanics, his accuracy is spotty. His numbers are down this year. He's a spread option QB, which is great for the college ranks, but won't translate into the NFL, and because of the system he's in, he really has no way to FIX the myriad problems he has as a QB. If he ran a pro-style offense he'd be easier to evaluate for the next level, but he does not.

Safety? H-back? There's a place for a guy like Tebow in the NFL, it just ain't at QB....at least not for 2-3 years.

markymarc
11-25-2009, 12:40 PM
I truly believe Dennis Dixon is ready to be our backup. I felt he was ready prior to the 2009 season beginning. He was a very talented QB at Oregon and IMO he could do a lot of good things at the QB position if needed for the Steelers.

shinoff2183
11-25-2009, 01:47 PM
With ben down Id like to see dixon, he has looked good in his pre seasons, and he knows are book better then any free agent. The first game ben played in was the ravens and if not for tommy ****ing it up already, we mightve won that one.

HughC
11-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Regarding Tebow, I think he'll do just fine in the NFL - as a fullback. Of course with him in the backfield you also have direct snap/option/wildcat possibilities for opposing defenses to consider, but I doubt he'll ever be a starting NFL quarterback of any significance.

Of course somebody will be enamored with him and take him too early. Actually I wouldn't doubt Jacksonville drafts him, especially when you consider the problems they have had selling tickets.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-25-2009, 11:09 PM
i could be wrong but i'm thinking brohm and henne were drafted as nothing more than "insurance" just incase the 2 young qb's in front of them ( rogers,beck) didn't pan out. i think dixon would have drafted with starter or future starter in mind. brohem couldn't even land a backup roll in GB...he's now with the bills.practice squad i believe.

Yeah, I thought Brohm was drafted as insurance or backup too. He had an outstanding jr. year at Louisville and the pedigree, so it was thought he was worth that 2nd round pick. Beck, I dont think was gonna stay in Miami as the starter, because he wasnt Parcells/Sparano's guy. Henne was drafted to be the heir to Pennington.

I heard Michael Lombardi on radio talking about Dennis Dixon today. He said he watched a lot of Dixon in highschool at Oakland and Dixon always thought of himself as a pure passer, a pocket QB.

In fact, Lombardi said Dennis Dixon never had a rushing TD in his entire Highschool playing career. I think that further shows you were right that Dixon is more of a passer than a running QB like a lot of folks like to peg him as. I think next year we see more of Dennis in preseason and some mop up.

MasterOfPuppets
11-25-2009, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I thought Brohm was drafted as insurance or backup too. He had an outstanding jr. year at Louisville and the pedigree, so it was thought he was worth that 2nd round pick. Beck, I dont think was gonna stay in Miami as the starter, because he wasnt Parcells/Sparano's guy. Henne was drafted to be the heir to Pennington.

I heard Michael Lombardi on radio talking about Dennis Dixon today. He said he watched a lot of Dixon in highschool at Oakland and Dixon always thought of himself as a pure passer, a pocket QB.

In fact, Lombardi said Dennis Dixon never had a rushing TD in his entire Highschool playing career. I think that further shows you were right that Dixon is more of a passer than a running QB like a lot of folks like to peg him as. I think next year we see more of Dennis in preseason and some mop up.
here's a tidbit for ya....dixon NEVER had a rushing td in his highschool carrear.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0K4Zd9ucZ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p0K4Zd9ucZ0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steeldude
11-26-2009, 04:20 AM
IMO, he is a system QB. i think dixon will be gone in a few years just like st. pierre and tee martin.

SteelerFanInATL
11-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Now that it is all over, IMO Dixon didn't look too bad. Not great, but definately not bad. In his first NFL start, he played a tough defense, and went into OT. I think with a little more experience he could be a great backup for us if he stays around that long.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 02:09 AM
Now that it is all over, IMO Dixon didn't look too bad. Not great, but definately not bad. In his first NFL start, he played a tough defense, and went into OT. I think with a little more experience he could be a great backup for us if he stays around that long.
not to mention the limited time he had to prepare for the game. he definetly had a problem reading the defense and shoulda made a few more throws to the checkdown. i recall seeing miller in the flats with nobody within 15 yds of him, but he tried to force it in the middle of the field instead. i really thought arians would have called for more short passes instead of taking shots down field. miller should have been a bigger player in the game plan today.

eafratitpm3
11-30-2009, 02:14 AM
When Dixon throws he reminds me of Leftwich, a big wind up, except he is a really really fast Leftwich, lol.