PDA

View Full Version : Woods and Ratliff cut

California-Steel
11-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Just heard it on Fox 970am radio.

Edman
11-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Don't care much for Woods.

But Ratliff spent 11 weeks on this team too long. When you're looking for defensive depth, you don't pick up trash from shitty defenses of the past. Ratliff was on that awful Bengals D before they improved..

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 03:47 PM
looks like some starters will be on coverage...what else can they do ? :noidea:
put harrison and clark out there.

Rick5895
11-24-2009, 03:49 PM
It is reported that the Steelers have singed LB Rocky Boiman and DB Corey Ivey to replace the aforementioned cuts. I think this is a step in the right direction, both were very good ST players and were serviceable as back ups aswell, although Ivey will get to meet Sweed as a team mate, lol, that should be interesting.

steelreserve
11-24-2009, 03:49 PM
That was unexpected, given that we signed Woods the week before.

Any word on who's taking their roster spots?

Also, since it seems like Batch is heading for IR, wonder what's going to happen there. We've basically got 3 vacancies to fill.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Yeah, its on the official steelers website. I'm good with Boiman as a LB and special teamer. It looks like Ivy is probably a better gunner and defender than Ratliff on special teams. I think Boiman is an upgrade over Woods, and Ivy is pretty much a wash as a nickel back but probably a better special teamer.

Burghfan58
11-24-2009, 05:22 PM
:applaudit:Gotta try something. I guess you could say they are getting rid of the dead wood.

spyboots
11-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Woods will probably be signed to the practice squad again after clearing waivers.

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 05:40 PM
No need to guess - it's all in writing

Steelers Make Roster Moves, Sign Boiman and Ivy

PITTSBURGH ─ The Steelers today announced the addition of veteran LB Rocky Boiman and CB Corey Ivy to their active roster. Financial terms of the one-year deals were not released.

Boiman (6-4, 242), an eight-year veteran from Notre Dame, was originally selected by the Tennessee Titans in the fourth round (133rd overall) of the 2002 NFL Draft. He played with Tennessee from 2002-05 and was in training camp with Tennessee in 2009 before being waived on Sept. 4. Boiman played with the Indianapolis Colts from 2006-07 and with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2008. He has registered 197 tackles on defense, 1.5 sacks and forced three fumbles during his NFL career. Boiman has also recorded 57 special teams tackles.

Ivy (5-9, 180), a nine-year veteran from Oklahoma, originally signed with the New England Patriots and an undrafted rookie in 1999. He made the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ roster in 2001 and played with Buccaneers through 2004. Ivy played in 2005 with the St. Louis Rams and from 2006-08 with the Baltimore Ravens. He was in training camp with the Cleveland Browns in 2009, but was released prior to the regular season. Ivy has recorded 209 tackles, 9.5 sacks and three interceptions during his career. He has registered 96 special teams tackles.

The Steelers also announced the addition of OG Jonathan Palmer to the team’s practice squad. Palmer (6-4, 336) was on the Steelers’ practice squad from December 12 – 26, 2007, and was in training camp in 2009 with the Carolina Panthers. He originally signed with the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted rookie out of Auburn in 2007.

The Steelers made room on their active roster for Boiman and Ivy by releasing second-year LB Donavan Woods and sixth-year CB Keiwan Ratliff. Ratliff signed with the Steelers as an unrestricted free agent this past May. Woods was recently activated from the Steelers’ practice squad on Nov. 17.

Room was made for Palmer on the Steelers’ practice squad when the team released RB Justin Vincent. Vincent had spent time on the Steelers’ practice squad from 2007-09.

http://www.steelers.com/article/114892/

AllD
11-24-2009, 05:44 PM
They picked up a guard for depth because of Kemo.

slippy
11-24-2009, 05:55 PM
if i were boiman or ivy, i'd be pumped to be the one to come in and "fix" the steelers special teams, especially after sitting around for 11 weeks without an nfl paycheck.

hope these guys help.

AllD
11-24-2009, 05:57 PM
I would be like a rabid pit bull who smelled a bleeding kitten. You would see the opponents' helmets rollling around the field like they just got chopped off from a Guillotine.

tony hipchest
11-24-2009, 06:00 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/115346-steelers-workout-ex-colts-de-marcus-howard.html

The Pittsburgh Steelers auditioned former Indianapolis Colts speed rusher Marcus Howard today, according to a league source. Howard has previously tried out for the Houston Texans and the Philadelphia Eagles this season. Howard is a converted linebacker ran the fastest 40-yard dash among the linebackers at the NFL scouting combine in 2008 with a 4.45 clocking and was drafted in the fifth round by the Colts.

i guess boiman beat him out?

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2009, 06:46 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/115346-steelers-workout-ex-colts-de-marcus-howard.html

i guess boiman beat him out?

Boiman was drafted in the fourth round of the 2002 NFL Draft by the Tennessee Titans where he played linebacker. He started out as a leader on special teams in his first couple years, setting the Oilers/Titans franchise record in special teams tackles with 28. He earned the AFC Special Teams Player of the Week.[citation needed] His role increased as a linebacker during his 2nd and 3rd seasons with the Titans and earned AFC Defensive Player of The Week.[citation needed]

On March 23 2006 Ivy signed a three year deal with the Baltimore Ravens. He had a great season playing on special teams and nickelback for the top ranked Baltimore Ravens defense. His best game was against the Steelers where he had an interception, a sack, and a forced fumble that was recovered for a touchdown by Adalius Thomas in a win. It was also his first game back from a kidney injury which he was told would end his season but he only missed 2 games. His injury earned him the Ed Block Courage Award. The injury is well documented because on the plane ride back from Denver the Ravens had to make an emergency stop for Ivy in Pittsburgh. During an interview with BaltimoreRavens.com after receiving the award Ivy said that Ed Reed was the person who got the doctor while on the plane.

i'm a little skeptical of the two, being that either one couldn't land with another team...:noidea:

Fire Haley
11-24-2009, 07:39 PM
Beggars can't be choosy - we have the WORST ST in the league.

I'm glad to see Tomlin chopping off some heads.

DoubleSh0t
11-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Glad we're making moves, but I was hoping Woods would stay and prove himself (big Oklahoma State fan right here).

vindrow
11-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Well, its nice to see him do something about ST but its about 3 weeks late.

KeiselPower99
11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
Lets see if this starts the transformation of the KO unit.

HometownGal
11-24-2009, 08:42 PM
They had to do something sooner rather than later. It's a shame, though, that Madison was cut to make room for Ratliff. :banging:

Do you think Whiz would make a Morey for Steely McBeam trade? :chuckle:

SteelersMongol
11-24-2009, 08:54 PM
...although Ivey will get to meet Sweed as a team mate, lol, that should be interesting.

What's the story between the 2?

tony hipchest
11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
Well, its nice to see him do something about ST but its about 3 weeks late.almost seems like we are chasing our tails.

interesting to note, that both players best career games on defense were against the steelers. im sure colbert took note. remember boiman getting a huge sack and interception return td on maddox in 03?

and of course ivy in that 35-0 beatdown of ben.

Steel-Bryan
11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Corey ivy must remember sweed :wink02:

Nadroj 20
11-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Corey ivy must remember sweed :wink02:
That was awesome i bet he still feels sweed! lol that was a bone crushing block

He has nightmares im sure :rofl:

devilsdancefloor
11-24-2009, 09:42 PM
What's the story between the 2?

h1fbkEOQwoc

This is how the 2 know each other so well.

I also find it kind odd we are play the ratbirds and we pick up ivy:wink02:

I hope this shakes up ST a bit. Rocky did a good job when he played in Indy he also filled in a few games and did a good job.

madtowndrunkard
11-24-2009, 10:31 PM
h1fbkEOQwoc

This is how the 2 know each other so well.

I also find it kind odd we are play the ratbirds and we pick up ivy:wink02:

I hope this shakes up ST a bit. Rocky did a good job when he played in Indy he also filled in a few games and did a good job.

After watching that hit, I'm wondering if Ivy even remembers who the Steelers are.

Galax Steeler
11-25-2009, 03:47 AM
It is good to see Tomlin trying to do something to fix special teams. Hopefully the players will take note and know that they better be on there A game come Sunday night or they could be next.

SteelMember
11-25-2009, 06:51 AM
No doubt that Tomlin is making these moves to not only strenghten our ST's by cutting some of the question marks, but the message remains consistent. No one is safe, and you must be accountable. Holidays or not, you could find yourself without a job.

Steely McSmash
11-25-2009, 07:23 AM
My first thought was that this might be a bit reactionary. We should have put the chiefs away by 20 points and the ST return wouldn't have been as important.

On second thought though, giving up Ratlff makes sense since he seems to be only ok at everything we see him doing. Woods presumably had some upside that we stand to lose now but bringing in some hungry vets just might turn things around.

I'm glad we finally pried Vincent off of the PS. The Rooney's PI must have finally got a hold of whatever photos he had.

SteelerFanInStl
11-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Both signings make sense, although a bit late as others have said. Ratliff was a worthless signing and I was happy to see him go.

markymarc
11-26-2009, 01:29 PM
Actually I am really surprised Ratliff made it this long. I don't really understand the Donovan Woods cut, but Tomlin and Ligashesky are really going through the box of band aids the past 2 weeks :chuckle: Let's hope Boiman and Ivy can help improve our special teams coverage somewhat.

If we fail again on Sunday night, maybe it's time to start thinking about putting more starters out there. Either that or go with the short and high kickoffs or squib kickoffs.