PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin provides Steelers "state of the union" address

Galax Steeler
11-25-2009, 05:04 AM
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Coach Mike Tomlin didn’t beat around the bush. He didn’t wait for questions. Instead he got right to the point on Tuesday at his weekly press conference, giving his "state of the union" address for the Steelers.

“We’re 10 games into this thing; we’re a 6-4 football team,” said Tomlin. “Definitely not where we anticipated being or want to be, but definitely where we are. I’d probably be saying similar things if we were 8-2, but that’s just the nature of this thing. I think when you drop a couple of games like we’ve dropped a couple of games here of late, you need to assess where you are as we push forward here over these last six games.”

Where the Steelers are right now is ranked number one in the NFL in total defense and third in the AFC and sixth in the NFL in total offense. Not bad rankings at all.
But it’s other numbers that concern Tomlin. The team is ranked 25th overall in takeaway/giveaway ratio, a number he wants to see change.

“We have (created) 14 turnovers defensively in 10 games, not enough,” said Tomlin. “We’ve got 19 turnovers on offense in 10 games, too many. We’ll let that guide our approach in terms of how we prepare for this game and those that follow.

“Also, we’ve given up five touchdowns on special teams. Giving up touchdowns while your defense is on the sideline is unacceptable, not a good thing. We’ve given up four on kickoff coverage; we’ve also had a punt return taken from us and returned, Five touchdowns on special teams coupled with 25th in the league in turnover ratio will make a team that’s capable of moving the ball and stopping people 6-4. That provides great clarity for me, I think it’s going to provide great clarity for our football team as we work and prepare for this week, but also the weeks that follow.”

The first step, though, is addressing the issues that are keeping the Steelers from winning and that begins on Sunday night in Baltimore, against a Ravens team that always provides a physical battle.

“This is a competitors business and we’re competitors, but redemption Sunday is coming for us in the form of the Baltimore Ravens on Sunday Night Football,” said Tomlin. “We’re excited about that. That medicine is kind of just what the doctor ordered when you look at where we are, having the opportunity to play our rival at their place on prime time television.”

With the Steelers sitting at 6-4 and the Ravens at 5-5, the game carries big implications in the playoff hunt in the AFC North. And that is why there is no time like the present to turn things around.

“If we address our ills and really don’t blink in the face of adversity, and really let that guide our energy and decision making and continue to do the things well that we’re doing well, we should be fine and should be able to correct these issues,” said Tomlin.

http://news.steelers.com/article/114875/

stlrtruck
11-25-2009, 11:00 AM
To be honest, I'm tired of hearing coaches and players giving lip service throughout the week only to come and out and coach/play like it's their first rodeo. I don't care what you have to say anymore, I'm more worried about what you've got going on Game Day!

sbbound
11-25-2009, 11:16 AM
This guy is a class act and addresses situations like every coach should. Theres probably about two or three franchises in the NFL that wouldn't want a guy like Tomlin as their head coach right now. This isn't lip service, hes not guaranteeing anything, hes assessing what needs to be done, and saying the problems will be addressed. They guy has to do these press conferences.

SteelerEmpire
11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Like I've said before. I am "certain" that this team will improve as this coach and staff and team have solved difficult problems last season. I really think this team does not want the embarrassment of "another " average season after a SB victory.....

The_WARDen
11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
To be honest, I'm tired of hearing coaches and players giving lip service throughout the week only to come and out and coach/play like it's their first rodeo. I don't care what you have to say anymore, I'm more worried about what you've got going on Game Day!

Now now...this week they really, really, REALLY promise to fix Special Teams...

SteelersMomma
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM

I would be better playing on the special teams then a lot of our current players :toofunny:

Merchant
11-25-2009, 12:16 PM
You guys annoy me sometimes.. What do you want Tomlin to do? You actually think he ISN'T spending extra time in practice working on special teams? You actually think he ISN'T getting on players asses about giving up those kickoff touchdowns?? Come game time, it's the PLAYERS job to execute their assignments. Tomlin can't be out there making the tackle. Look at the tape.. it's just sloppy tackling, poor lane discipline, guys not getting off blocks. Tomlin can work on that stuff all he wants in practice, but the players still gotta go out there and make that play.

BleedBlacknGold0
11-25-2009, 12:23 PM

They should probably just try an onside kick for every kickoff. At least there is only a 10 percent chance of that being returned.

HometownGal
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
This guy is a class act and addresses situations like every coach should. Theres probably about two or three franchises in the NFL that wouldn't want a guy like Tomlin as their head coach right now. This isn't lip service, hes not guaranteeing anything, hes assessing what needs to be done, and saying the problems will be addressed. They guy has to do these press conferences.

I agree wholeheartedly, but tell that to the NFL HC'ing prospects around here who are calling for his head on a platter. :rolleyes:

The_WARDen
11-25-2009, 01:59 PM
You guys annoy me sometimes.. What do you want Tomlin to do? You actually think he ISN'T spending extra time in practice working on special teams? You actually think he ISN'T getting on players asses about giving up those kickoff touchdowns?? Come game time, it's the PLAYERS job to execute their assignments. Tomlin can't be out there making the tackle. Look at the tape.. it's just sloppy tackling, poor lane discipline, guys not getting off blocks. Tomlin can work on that stuff all he wants in practice, but the players still gotta go out there and make that play.

Noted...just to be clear then, Tomlin also gets no credit when they do execute correct? After all, what can he do....it's the players' execution.

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 02:05 PM
You know, we've been over this. I cannot believe that these break-downs are SIMPLY due to poor coaching. As has been pointed out, they are clearly focusing a lot of attention on this glaring hole in their game, and yet....repeated failure...

I used the HS football game I went to a month ago as a previous example. The coach for the local team is VERY good. They played a running team with an exceptionally talented back. The defense they were in was correct, they stacked the box, had the guys in proper position, but they STILL failed to stop the RB. He was too fast, too strong, and simply eluded tackles or broke them.

I don't think there is a special teams SCHEMATIC breakdown, we simply either lack the proper personnel, or those players are not executing their individual assignments. If we bring in the greatest ST coach in the history of the NFL, and the players cannot execute his plan, it will fail.

Again, even though many others here are so much more knowledgeable than I am about football, my assessment SEEMS to be shared by the coaching staff (who also apparently know less than the brain trust here), since they DID just cut a couple ST players and bring in a couple new ones.

Merchant
11-25-2009, 02:09 PM
^Thank you

7SteelGal43
11-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Personally, I think Mike T is the man for the job. I love havin' him as OUR head coach. If not for poor special teams play, we're sitting at something better than 6 and 4. Period. We still have a legitimate chance at the playoffs - yes, we have to buckle down do to so - so to all those who are giving up the ship already......:wave: don't let the screen door hit ya on your way out. :wave:buh bye. :wave:be safe :wave: bye by now.

AllD
11-25-2009, 03:26 PM
I say we pile on their KO and PRs then do what they did in the movie, M*A*S*H and take him out of the game.

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2009, 05:19 PM
CAN NO ALLOW TD RETURN! MUST TACKLE!!!

markymarc
11-26-2009, 02:34 PM
CAN NO ALLOW TD RETURN! MUST TACKLE!!!

I second that!

Stlrs4Life
11-26-2009, 06:47 PM

I like Mike, and I agree, just do it on the field!

Bluedust
11-26-2009, 11:37 PM

True, but it's his job to go out there and say stuff. *shrug* I'm sure there'd be even more anger if every Steeler just skipped every press conference and interview.