PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin serves notice to players

mesaSteeler
11-25-2009, 05:47 AM
View from the Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/11/25/tomlin-serves-notice-to-players/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Tomlin serves notice to players
November 25th, 2009

Mike Tomlin took his seat at the table in front of the media work center at the Steelers' practice facility and paused.

Hey, even the youngest coach ever to win a Super Bowl has to wait for live TV.

And as he watched for the signal to begin speaking, Tomlin said, “Dammit, I’m on edge today.”

He laughed but then served notice during his longest news conference of the year that his players will be put on edge too.

Whether that means more intense practices or the removal of the pool and/or ping pong table in the Steelers’ locker room remains to be seen.

But if Tomlin clearly got the message across that the Steelers need to have more of a sense of urgency as they try to avoid the first three-game losing of his coaching tenure.

“We’re going to be aggressive about solving our ills,” Tomlin said.

He showed he was serious later in the afternoon when the Steelers signed linebacker Rocky Boiman and safety Corey Ivy and released cornerback Keiwan Ratliff and linebacker Donovan Woods.

The two were brought in to bolster a kickoff coverage team that has been dreadful, and Tomlin said more starters may be used on the unit starting Sunday night in Baltimore.

The Steelers have given up four kickoff returns for touchdowns in their last four games. Woods joined Arnold Harrison in essentially getting fired because of the alarming breakdowns the Steelers have had on a unit that yielded just 19.1 yards per kickoff return last season.

“Giving up touchdowns while your defense is on the sidelines is unacceptable,” Tomlin said.

Tomlin essentially said the same thing about turnovers — and the fact that the Steelers have five more of them than they do takeaways.

“Sometimes you’re going to turn the football over and there’s things you can’t do about that. I understand that,” Tomlin said.

He cited the interception that Ben Roethlisberger threw when the Steelers were deep in Kansas City territory last Sunday as an example.

“Willie Colon got beat off our right side, Ben got hit as he threw the ball, sometimes those kinds of things are going to occur,” Tomlin said. “But we just need to prepare with an edge and really prepare with efficiency in mind and limit the number of opportunities where we expose ourselves to turning the ball over.

“If we (create more turnovers) and stopped getting kicks returned on his we’ve got a chance to be a good football team.”

Tomlin reiterated what he said after the 27-24 overtime loss to the Chiefs: the Steelers were not prepared for the game.

He did not elaborate on where the Steelers were lacking leading up to the game they had no business losing. He did make clear that his players better be more focused with the 6-4 Steelers at a crossroads.

“We did not execute winning football so obviously we didn’t prepare well enough,” Tomlin said of the loss to the Chiefs. “As a head coach, as a guy that leads the charge, that’s the way I look at it, so I will make changes that I deem necessary in terms of our preparation to become a more edgier, more productive football team inside stadiums.”

steeltheone
11-25-2009, 07:16 AM
Mike needs to step it up. We have been losing games we should win!

mulldog24
11-25-2009, 07:54 AM
Mike needs to step it up. We have been losing games we should win!

I agree with you and it is alarming to me when the head coach says the team wasn't prepared for the game!!!! That falls squarely on Tomlin's shoulders!!!!

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2009, 08:39 AM
“But we just need to prepare with an edge and really prepare with efficiency in mind and limit the number of opportunities where we expose ourselves to turning the ball over."

Think he means RUN THE FREAKING BALL MORE!!!

arge5809
11-25-2009, 08:45 AM
But we just need to prepare with an edge and really prepare with efficiency in mind and limit the number of opportunities where we expose ourselves to turning the ball over."

Think he means RUN THE FREAKING BALL MORE!!!

Why do we have to run the ball more!!! I say do WHATEVER it takes to win the game...pass or run!!!

:noidea: :tt: :tt03: :tt02: :tt04:

Dino 6 Rings
11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
Why do we have to run the ball more!!! I say do WHATEVER it takes to win the game...pass or run!!!

:noidea: :tt: :tt03: :tt02: :tt04:

Expose themselves to turnovers...ie...throwing the ball in a 5 wide formation on 1st down from the 8 yard line instead of power running or at least Play Action Pass...

Michael Keller
11-25-2009, 09:08 AM
I am sorry but this team and future Steeler teams are never going to be CONSISTENT until Tomlin or some one with guts shows Bruce Arians the door. Won"t happen until he is gone. This is not a fair weather fan . I made that statment after we won the Super Bowl last year. We are wasting so much talent it is disgusting .

What really concerns me is that we have a great QB whose career is going to much shorter then it should be .

Arian defenders are nevr going to know the difference until he is gone and man do I ever hope that becomes a reality and soon.

btaylor179
11-25-2009, 06:09 PM
i agree 1000% arians needs to go along with the other guys that got cut

fansince'76
11-25-2009, 06:15 PM
What really concerns me is that we have a great QB whose career is going to much shorter then it should be.

And who stands behind said OC 100%. Why do you suppose that is?

fansince'76
11-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Expose themselves to turnovers...ie...throwing the ball in a 5 wide formation on 1st down from the 8 yard line instead of power running or at least Play Action Pass...

If Mendenhall continues to carry the ball like a loaf of bread, we're going to be just as susceptible to turnovers running it.

cubanstogie
11-25-2009, 06:24 PM
I am sorry but this team and future Steeler teams are never going to be CONSISTENT until Tomlin or some one with guts shows Bruce Arians the door. Won"t happen until he is gone. This is not a fair weather fan . I made that statment after we won the Super Bowl last year. We are wasting so much talent it is disgusting .

What really concerns me is that we have a great QB whose career is going to much shorter then it should be .

Arian defenders are nevr going to know the difference until he is gone and man do I ever hope that becomes a reality and soon.

who would you like to be the next OC, and why? I would love to hear a rational BA hater with some logic and maybe possible replacements instead of "he has got to go". I just don't see how he is to blame when our offense is above average (6th). I do think he needs to improve on our goal line formations and play calling but a far cry from calling on his firing. Why don't we focus on our real issues like turnover ratio or special teams coverage. Those 2 examples are far more to blame for losses than BA. If we didn't turn the ball over and quit giving teams and easy TD not to mention huge momentum switch that goes along with the td we wouldn't have to convert a 3rd and 2 in ot on the road.

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 06:45 PM
We could hire Shanahan as the OC...he's only asking 10 mil a year...

Shoes
11-25-2009, 06:58 PM
We could hire Shanahan as the OC...he's only asking 10 mil a year...

pvbAseCN8F8

steelerjim58
11-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Two words, Chan Gailey.

devilsdancefloor
11-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Two words, Chan Gailey.

yeah maybe Mike Tomczak & Kordell Stewart can come back as well :doh:. I dont think chan was any better than what we have now. Hell if he was a good OC he would still be the OC of KC. Odd i dont remember you coming here and moaning about BA after the donkeys game. We did put up 515 yards of O that and we had a 10 pt lead. What else do you want?? 1000 yards and 10 tds? :doh::noidea:

Christian Snyder
11-25-2009, 07:44 PM
yeah maybe Mike Tomczak & Kordell Stewart can come back as well :doh:. I dont think chan was any better than what we have now. Hell if he was a good OC he would still be the OC of KC. Odd i dont remember you coming here and moaning about BA after the donkeys game. We did put up 515 yards of O that and we had a 10 pt lead. What else do you want?? 1000 yards and 10 tds? :doh::noidea:
1,000 yds and 10 TD's isn't enough..... 2000 yds and 30 TD's is more like it.

Angus Burgher
11-25-2009, 08:21 PM
If Mendenhall continues to carry the ball like a loaf of bread, we're going to be just as susceptible to turnovers running it.

Yeah, I fail to see how running the ball more is going to solve all of our problems.

The primary reasons you run the ball are 1. avoiding turnovers and 2. eating up the clock.

Well, we've all seen Mendy fumble and lose the ball. Not saying that he isn't talented, but he does still have some trouble in this area. Parker is no better... I've seen him fumble 3 times in the same game. Thus I have trouble seeing how running it more often is going to completely solve the turnover problem.

As for eating up time and dominating the time of possession... um, haven't we been doing this already? Whether we pass it or run it, we tend to either have the longest possession like this week against KC, or break even like last week against Cincy. And we lost both games. On the other hand, Minnesota dominated the time of possession, and we beat them... just some food for thought.

Gnutella
11-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Running the ball won't necessarily help ,especially considering a) Rashard Mendenhall still carries the ball like a loaf of bread sometimes, and b) only five of Ben's 10 INTs were absolutely his fault. (At least three weren't his fault at all.) Ben needs to take care of the ball a little bit better, but the RBs and WRs need to take care of the ball a lot better.

psusteelers4life
11-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I fail to see how running the ball more is going to solve all of our problems.

The primary reasons you run the ball are 1. avoiding turnovers and 2. eating up the clock.

Well, we've all seen Mendy fumble and lose the ball. Not saying that he isn't talented, but he does still have some trouble in this area. Parker is no better... I've seen him fumble 3 times in the same game. Thus I have trouble seeing how running it more often is going to completely solve the turnover problem.

As for eating up time and dominating the time of possession... um, haven't we been doing this already? Whether we pass it or run it, we tend to either have the longest possession like this week against KC, or break even like last week against Cincy. And we lost both games. On the other hand, Minnesota dominated the time of possession, and we beat them... just some food for thought.

I do disagree about one of your primary reasons to run the ball. If you can run the ball effectively it can do wonders for your passing game, a double edged sword offense. If you are running the ball well you can run play action which freezes the backers and could make the safeties respect your run in turn makes them over commit, That helps your receivers to get open and your passing game work. I do agree running the ball more wont solve all our problems I just want them to find some rythm and get it the hell going!! Mendy does scare me sometimes the way he holds the ball and I love the spin move but one of these times he is gonna hold the ball like he does sometimes and spin and its gonna pop out and be a turning point in a game lets not hope it happens.

GBMelBlount
11-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Is it me, or has Tomlin and the team lost it's fire to this point. Have they been hungry to this point in the season as they were last year? Last year we won 4 games with 4th quarter comebacks......this year we've been losing the close ones.

Is our personnel really that different?

Has there been enough sense of urgency to fix special teams problems when the chinks in the armor became quite apparent?....

I hope to see a fired up team playing smash mouth football with a sense urgency from this point forward.

steel striker
11-25-2009, 10:15 PM
Plus it is just not one problem they are trying ti fix and, it is alot to try to fix in a hurry. Special teams can't give up anymore TD's and, we have to score td's in the redzone. I know we all hate to say this but, we are a different team without Troy. The defense has had a few bad games as well and, I'm not saying anything we did not already know. There are many times I don't understand BA's play calling but, Ben needs to change the play if he does not like it. I hope our guys are mad and, they will take care of business Sunday night.

chucoblack&gold
11-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Is it me, or has Tomlin and the team lost it's fire to this point. Have they been hungry to this point in the season as they were last year? Last year we won 4 games with 4th quarter comebacks......this year we've been losing the close ones.

Is our personnel really that different?

Has there been enough sense of urgency to fix special teams problems when the chinks in the armor became quite apparent?....

I hope to see a fired up team playing smash mouth football with a sense urgency from this point forward.

I ask myself the same question. Was it the tougher schedule last year? I questioned the intensity of the team since training camp when coach T was giving the og's like Ward passes during training camp.:noidea:

Angus Burgher
11-26-2009, 12:28 AM
I do disagree about one of your primary reasons to run the ball. If you can run the ball effectively it can do wonders for your passing game, a double edged sword offense. If you are running the ball well you can run play action which freezes the backers and could make the safeties respect your run in turn makes them over commit, That helps your receivers to get open and your passing game work. I do agree running the ball more wont solve all our problems I just want them to find some rythm and get it the hell going!! Mendy does scare me sometimes the way he holds the ball and I love the spin move but one of these times he is gonna hold the ball like he does sometimes and spin and its gonna pop out and be a turning point in a game lets not hope it happens.

You do make a good point there. When you have a more balanced offense, you become a lot less predictable to defenders. I think the reason that the pass appears to be dominant right now is because we are passing so often in the red zone. I figure that the lack of running plays there has to do with going with your best option. When you've got a QB that can usually make the touchdown pass versus and runningback that can occasionally make the touchdown run, it makes sense to put the ball in the QB's hands. Remember, those 2 red zone INTs that Ben had in the Denver and KC games were a red zone rarity. I forget how long the game was between Ben throwing a red zone INT and then, but I know it was a while.

Shea
11-26-2009, 12:42 AM
I ask myself the same question. Was it the tougher schedule last year? I questioned the intensity of the team since training camp when coach T was giving the og's like Ward passes during training camp.:noidea:

Tomlin was also critisized, and also admitted himself, that maybe he was to hard on the team his first year with the organization. Basically, he admitted that his approach during training camp and his practice regiment throughout the season might have worn the team down and contributed to their fizzing out down the stretch and what came to be a one and done during the playoffs.

Veterans like Ward need days off from time to time. Does holding out Ward, and other such vets, really hurt the team? I think not. They know what they need to bring and how to prepare for an opponent without constant practice that wears and tears at their bodies.