PDA

View Full Version : Has any team ACTUALLY beaten us??

Merchant
11-25-2009, 02:06 PM
...or have we just beaten ourselves every loss?

Chicago game - Holmes dropped a TD pass, Reed missed 2 field goals. Either one of those 3 probably woulda won it.

Bengals game #1 - Sweed dropped a TD pass. Defense allows a TD with 14 seconds left.

Bengals game #2 - ST allows the game winning 6 points on a kickoff return for a TD. Tons of red-zone trips, but all settled for FGs.

KC game - Yet another ST td allowed. Ben throws a pick in the redzone that's returned for 98 yards. Mind boggling OT 3rd down call that put us out of field goal range.

Seems like we're just beating ourselves...

Angus Burgher
11-25-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't know... if you look at any game closely I think that you could argue that any losing team beats itself in some regard. Granted, I think that these games were all ones we could have and should have won, but they are losses just the same and as someone who has seen the Steelers win a game or two after the other team screws up royally, well, I'd have to say that's just how it goes.

The Vikes game is a good example of this. Minnesota racked up more yardage against us and also ran a kickoff back for a TD. But they lost because we capitalized on a fumble recovery and and interception. Now did we win the game or did they beat themselves?

revefsreleets
11-25-2009, 02:29 PM
By this scale, we are 9-1.

Minnesota beat themselves.

JoeFlax
11-25-2009, 02:31 PM
if we are going by that standard, Ravens have beat themselves up pretty good this year

SteelersMomma
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Every team beats themselves when they loose a game. There is always something that was executed wrong or something just didn't go right. It's all about fixing those problems and try again with the next game in hopes you don't repeat that same mistake.

StainlessStill
11-25-2009, 03:08 PM

Chicago game - Holmes dropped a TD pass, Reed missed 2 field goals. Either one of those 3 probably woulda won it.

Bengals game #1 - Sweed dropped a TD pass. Defense allows a TD with 14 seconds left.

Bengals game #2 - ST allows the game winning 6 points on a kickoff return for a TD. Tons of red-zone trips, but all settled for FGs.

KC game - Yet another ST td allowed. Ben throws a pick in the redzone that's returned for 98 yards. Mind boggling OT 3rd down call that put us out of field goal range.

Has any team actually beaten us? Yes.

The Chicago Bears.
The Cincnatti Bengals
The Cincinatti Bengals
and
The Kansas City Chiefs.
6-(4) will always count as a loss.

Now, with that said, I agree that we are and WERE for certain the best team out of all these teams and we played better overall football than all these clubs and I still believe we are better than Cincy, it's just things go wrong in football games and the Steelers are culprits of themselves since they dominated every phase that they lost, but give credit to the Bears, Bengals and Chiefs for taking it to us when it matters most.

steelreserve
11-25-2009, 03:09 PM
You could make the case that every game we've lost in the past two years is because we beat ourselves. But mistakes are part of the game and you have to overcome them, so I don't really buy into the "beat ourselves" part -- a loss is a loss.

Having said that, I cannot overstate how pleased I am that no team has just flat-out outplayed us for two seasons now. We haven't been blown out since 2006 or 2007 (depending on whether you count the 2007 Patriots* game that got out of hand at the end). And in every single loss this year and last year, we've been right in it with a chance to win the game until the very end. THAT is what gives you an excellent shot at winning championships.

Angus Burgher
11-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Has any team actually beaten us? Yes.

The Chicago Bears.
The Cincnatti Bengals
The Cincinatti Bengals
and
The Kansas City Chiefs.
6-(4) will always count as a loss.

Now, with that said, I agree that we are and WERE for certain the best team out of all these teams and we played better overall football than all these clubs and I still believe we are better than Cincy, it's just things go wrong in football games and the Steelers are culprits of themselves since they dominated every phase that they lost, but give credit to the Bears, Bengals and Chiefs for taking it to us when it matters most.

I still can't figure out how the only time this season Jay Cutler has been able to find receivers was against us. Oh, well, he did in Detroit too, but that doesn't even count.

Merchant
11-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah and to add that to that no team has CONVINCINGLY beat us yet, and that's been the case since last season's Titans game.

steelreserve
11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah and to add that to that no team has CONVINCINGLY beat us yet, and that's been the case since last season's Titans game.

I didn't think that was "convincing." We were right in it until that 90-yard interception runback killed us. I mean, sure, they played better then we did, but it seemed like we were evenly matched.

SteelGhost
11-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I agree that you could see it both ways. Remember the Titans game, they lost it :noidea: As for the last Cinci game, their ST beat ours clearly and our offense played subpar by only scoring FG's instead of TD's. In the Vikes game 2 great defensive plays beat The Drama King :chuckle: This great sport is full of little details that has to be worked to succeed, one fails and any given Sunday ...... (Bears and Chiefs got away with the W)

My .02

BlastFurnace
11-25-2009, 04:01 PM

Yes, 3 teams have beaten us.

If you want to be fair with the question though...be honest....Did the Vikings beat themselves when they played us?

You can't say if a team beats themselves rather then the other team beating them. The scoreboard tells the story.

theplatypus
11-25-2009, 04:18 PM
If if's and butts were candy and nuts.

4xSBChamps
11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
..... is this STILL the Stillers' Forum, or has it become the Crygirls or Cheatriots* site?

Edman
11-25-2009, 05:37 PM
Yes.

Three teams have actually. One of them has beaten us twice.

That's reality. What do you think this is, Seattle? Where conspiracies and crying live?

cubanstogie
11-25-2009, 06:09 PM
I don't know... if you look at any game closely I think that you could argue that any losing team beats itself in some regard. Granted, I think that these games were all ones we could have and should have won, but they are losses just the same and as someone who has seen the Steelers win a game or two after the other team screws up royally, well, I'd have to say that's just how it goes.

The Vikes game is a good example of this. Minnesota racked up more yardage against us and also ran a kickoff back for a TD. But they lost because we capitalized on a fumble recovery and and interception. Now did we win the game or did they beat themselves?

great post, As much as I would like to say we should have won every game its hard to do when you lose twice to the Bungles. I do think we are underachieving though. We are not tackling like previous teams, our coverage teams suck no 2 ways about it, and Ben although having a great year has thrown too many pics. So yeah if you take away the pics and our 10 guys plus Reed actually hold them to the 30 yard line we would be 9-1 or 10-0. I realize I will get bashed for bashing Ben because he has had a great year, but he needs to cut down on the pics especially when we are about to score points, granted he has won way more games than his pics have lost but it can't go unrecognized as part of the blame last week.

HawaiianSixRings
11-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Good point, but this is part of football. Last year, we "stole" some games. If you want to be a Super Bowl Championship team, YOU DO NOT:

1. Lose to teams you should beat ( KC, Chicago )
2. Turn the ball over in the red zone / settle for field goals
3. Give up give TD's on special teams
4. Lose at home to division rivals

The line between a Super Bowl champion and a team that just misses the playoffs is razor thin. I'm afraid that we just have too many uncertainties.........

steelerchad
11-25-2009, 06:47 PM
Actually, even though we were 12-4 last year. We were beaten soundly by 2 teams last year. The Eagles, who sacked Ben 9 times and we had nothing going offensively the whole game and the Titans who we played a tight game with but just overpowered us to the finish.
We also had incredible finishes in both Baltimore wins and the Cowboys win last year.
This year we haven't been beaten soundly yet, but we will likely finish the season with a worse record.

Good teams find ways to win and last year we were good. This year we still have work to do, but I don't think we're as far away as many think. The main thing is injuries.

stb_steeler
11-25-2009, 08:06 PM
That is why they play the game

StainlessStill
11-25-2009, 08:10 PM
That is why they play the game

Perfectly stated. No one wins showing up.

cubanstogie
11-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Perfectly stated. No one wins showing up.

no but the Patriots have a lead before they show up due to cheating and Brady giving the refs fellatio in exchange for flags on the opposing team.

Angus Burgher
11-26-2009, 12:38 AM
great post, As much as I would like to say we should have won every game its hard to do when you lose twice to the Bungles. I do think we are underachieving though. We are not tackling like previous teams, our coverage teams suck no 2 ways about it, and Ben although having a great year has thrown too many pics. So yeah if you take away the pics and our 10 guys plus Reed actually hold them to the 30 yard line we would be 9-1 or 10-0. I realize I will get bashed for bashing Ben because he has had a great year, but he needs to cut down on the pics especially when we are about to score points, granted he has won way more games than his pics have lost but it can't go unrecognized as part of the blame last week.

Oh, I agree with you there. I'm a supporter of Ben and always will be, but I'll admit, I was cursing at my TV when he threw that pick. I think out of all the plays in the game, it was the two picks that got the Chiefs fired up and helped them beat us. The first INT was all on Miller... nothing Ben could do about that. But the second... I know that he got hit while throwing it, but look at where he threw it... that was a very dangerous place to try and put the ball.

If I could take away one play in that game, that'd be the one, even more than the KO return TD. If he had only thrown it elsewhere, or thrown it away... we might have at least got a field goal and ultimately might have won the game.

Steeldude
11-26-2009, 03:09 AM
you can make a similar analogy with the vikings. did the steelers really beat them?

CanadianSteel
11-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Ya its frustrating as all hell to think you are beating yourselves, and I keep p[ullling my hair out.
We have shown flashes of what this team can be versus Denver and Bolts, and first game versus Bengals, but we just cant seem to bring it for 60 mins.
8 games in a row with a TD returned by special teams... or the opposing D... is definately not helping yourself win games thats for dam sure...

Nadroj 20
11-26-2009, 11:16 AM
In all the games we lost i do not think we got out played really we just made stupid mistake that gave the team a chance and they took advantage of it, we could have beat the bears and bengals(1st game) but made stupid mistakes and the last two losses have to be put on ST mistakes.

Im not saying we should have won all 4 games that we lost and like i said the other teams did the things they needed to lose, i just think the reason they got those chances was on stupid mistakes made by us...elimate most of those mistake (ST) and the team will move in the correct direction.

At this point Im not worried about them, they'll be fine.

24seven
11-26-2009, 12:50 PM
Still with all the mistakes we've made teams have only managed to squeak by us. Our bread and butter has been Ben's ability to get the points when it counts and that's usually on the last drive of the game. In almost every loss .. on that last drive... Ben gets sacked and all hope is lost. I know our O line has gotten better but when it counts .. Ben needs to get the ball off faster and the line needs to get a little stronger.. If our 2 minute drill is to succeed that is.. But we should be puting these teams to bed well before 2 minutes.. This is reminding me of last year.. Cursing the TV.. Thinking how bad we suck.. never gonna make the playoffs.. Then we win the super bowl.. Trying to stay positive here cuz Steelers bring it when it counts.. Maybe were saving our goods for the playoffs.. I hope..