PDA

View Full Version : Big Snack Speaks Out

Vincent
11-27-2009, 09:27 AM
With Hines, and now Big Snack publicly commenting about the coaches, there is clearly a problem. And with Tomlin “putting the players on notice”. It could be a big problem.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09331/1016642-66.stm

Hampton second-guessing

Players who usually would not say certain things in the locker room sometimes cannot help themselves when they get on a radio show. Such was the case Wednesday night, when nose guard Casey Hampton joined defensive back Deshea Townsend and host Ken Laird on their weekly show on ESPN 1250.

Hampton said he did not like the play call of the pitch to Mewelde Moore on third-and-2 at the Kansas City 35 in overtime Sunday.

"It's unbelievable, man," Hampton said of that play. "We were running the ball ... I'm not a coach, but I just didn't like the play call. But who am I?"

Television cameras showed Hampton wave his hand in disgust on the sideline after the Chiefs broke through on the wide pitch and spilled Moore for a 3-yard loss.

"You get caught up in those moments; I'm not going to apologize for it. It was what it was at the time. And I still don't like it. It didn't work. If it would have worked I would have been right there cheering the way I was mad, so it goes both ways," he said.

Hampton, in the last season of his contract, also said he does not want the Steelers to put the franchise tag on him, even if the price would be $12 million for the 2010 season.

"I don't want that. I don't want that," said Hampton, who said he would not mind playing for Bill Cowher for Hampton's hometown Houston Texans next season -- a reference to speculation about the former Steelers coach's plans.

Nevertheless Hampton said he wants to return to play for the Steelers, and he said they've told him they want him back.

"Ain't no question I want to be here. It's all I know, but, at the same time just as it is a business for them, it's a business for me ...You never know what they're thinking. They tell me they want me here, I believe they want me here, and I want to be here. Hopefully I'll be here next year."

revefsreleets
11-27-2009, 09:33 AM
I hated that call too...but we ran 77 other plays, and MOST of those calls were pretty decent. That one play did NOT lose the game and it's lazy to say that it did...

Dino 6 Rings
11-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Kind of reminds me of the QB Bootleg called against the Jags in 07.

fansince'76
11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
Gee, I wonder how I knew this story about "internal strife" within the team was written by Ed Bullchitte before I even opened the link? :coffee:

jev7452
11-27-2009, 11:25 AM
hmm not saying the guys shouldnt be speaking their minds about things but at the same time i feel like this is stuff that needs to be kept internal instead of going to the media and making bigger issues out of things..

AllD
11-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Snack can start his own BA Hate thread.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Snack can start his own BA Hate thread.

Yeah, what does he know about football. :doh: He can just get in line with the rest of the mindless lemmings that hate on the OC. :rolleyes:

BleedBlacknGold0
11-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I hated that call too...but we ran 77 other plays, and MOST of those calls were pretty decent. That one play did NOT lose the game and it's lazy to say that it did...

I understand your philosiphy and usually tend to agree except the toss play didnt even give us a chance for a FG. I think in a game like that Id rather have the chance to win than to put it on the Defense albeit the FG could be missed.

Arians play calling is decent most of the time. My problem is when it fails it fails big and you cannot have that.

Steelman16
11-27-2009, 12:37 PM
We all really care what a defensive lineman has to say about the offensive play calls?

19ward86
11-27-2009, 02:21 PM
i dont want to see his contract next year cuz its gonna destroy the salary cap.

HometownGal
11-27-2009, 02:53 PM
We all really care what a defensive lineman has to say about the offensive play calls?

Exactly. Big Snack pretty much always does his job, but he is a part of that D unit that gave up 20 points in the 4th and OT. :shake02:

Look in your own backyard Snacker.

devilsdancefloor
11-27-2009, 03:03 PM
Exactly. Big Snack pretty much always does his job, but he is a part of that D unit that gave up 20 points in the 4th and OT. :shake02:

:iagree:

markymarc
11-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Was the 3rd and 2 toss sweep a bad call.......absolutely. But don't forget Hampton it was your defense that allowed the Chiefs to drive in overtime and kick the game winning field goal!

fansince'76
11-27-2009, 03:18 PM
i dont want to see his contract next year cuz its gonna destroy the salary cap.

There isn't going to be a cap next year.

Michael Keller
11-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I hope this is the beginning of the end fo for Arians. Too bad its coming in the form of player frustration but these guys know the truth . The play calling is atocioius . Frustration manifested is almost always as a result of being pent out. I am hoping Hampton, , Ward and many more know the problem and it continues game after game they do in fact speak up. Tomlin needs to get more involved in the offfense because it is going to become his problem . Only tomlin can save Bruce Arians because Arians us to incompetent to
save himself . I have been saying this for three years after a Super Bowl , many victories and too many frustrating losses the guy has to be fired. I am sure of one thing it will happen sooner but not much;later. .

Stlrs4Life
11-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Good bye Big Snack. We have lost bigger FAs in the past.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-27-2009, 05:19 PM
There isn't going to be a cap next year.

Thanks for the reality check. Since there is not likely going to be a cap and there is no NT on the Steelers roster to replace Hampton......I think he will either get the franchise tag, or transition tag. (teams will be able to use both next year).

I'd prepare for some more Big Snack in 2010. :thumbsup:

Psyychoward86
11-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Cowher? Houston Texans??? WHAT

xvdougl
11-27-2009, 11:51 PM
If there is a salary cap!!

Preacher
11-28-2009, 12:33 AM
I think this is much ado about nothing.

The CAMERA's caught him frustrated ON THE SIDELINES.

They asked him about it Wednesday. He responded.

Then, they say that he started talking about it wednesday, and the camera ALSO caught him on Sunday.

Typical press...

augustashark
11-28-2009, 12:52 AM

He was'nt talking about Moore or anyother O player. He was talking about the play call. Says alot to me. I do agree you can never pin a game on one play, but when it's as glaring as that stupid sweep, well this is what you get.

tony hipchest
11-28-2009, 12:54 AM
food for thought-

10. 3-4 nose tackles are scarce

Any team that plays a 3-4 defense knows that success starts up front with a massive nose tackle that plays over the center's head and forces double teams. In the NFL, 3-4 nose tackles are an endangered species. The Chargers lost Jamal Williams and somehow keep winning. The Jets have dropped three of four games since Kris Jenkins went down. Jason Ferguson of the Dolphins just found he is heading to IR, which leaves Paul Soliai to replace him. All three teams have playoff aspirations, but the lack of a quality nose tackle hurts their chances. So far, the Chargers have adjusted best.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d814881ad&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Steeldude
11-28-2009, 12:57 AM
That one play did NOT lose the game and it's lazy to say that it did...

that one play attributed to the loss. it took the steelers out of FG range and gave the ball to the chiefs in OT.

markymarc
11-28-2009, 01:53 PM
I just want to see Big Snack take his frustrations out on Matt Birk and the Rats OL on Sunday night :tt02:

Christian Snyder
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I just want to see Big Snack take his frustrations out on Matt Birk and the Rats OL on Sunday night :tt02:
and Ray Rice!

HometownGal
11-28-2009, 08:14 PM
He was'nt talking about Moore or anyother O player. He was talking about the play call. Says alot to me. I do agree you can never pin a game on one play, but when it's as glaring as that stupid sweep, well this is what you get.

No more glaring than the Chiefs O going 76 yards in 1:23 to set up the winning FG from the Steelers 4 YL.

supa_fly_steeler
11-28-2009, 08:39 PM
and Ray Rice!

Leave that to Clark, im sure he cna have some fun lol. *evil laugh*

Steeldude
11-29-2009, 04:40 AM

yep. i hope he is motivated.

markymarc
11-29-2009, 12:11 PM
and Ray Rice!

Well of course Ray Rice too!

revefsreleets
11-29-2009, 12:14 PM
that one play attributed to the loss. it took the steelers out of FG range and gave the ball to the chiefs in OT.

There were 77 other plays in that game...no one play EVER loses a game. This is just an excuse for those with an agenda to pile on...