PDA

View Full Version : "Duuuuuuuuuuuuce" Staley

Infamix
01-25-2006, 10:54 AM
If this guy isn't so injury prone, he really is good...especially if we use him like the Eagles did. I'm assuming he will recover soon and be a great change of pace to Fast Willie next year, but does anybody know the status on him? I want to see him on the field again.

SteelCityPride
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
I agree with you. I think Duce is a fantastic runner and I don't know if I am sold on Willie being our number one running back. I mean he did great things for us this yr, but he doesn't break tackles well and seems like he is falling down a lot as he hits the hole. I hope Cowher leaves that position up for grabs in camp next year and lets those two guys battle it out. I think Duce is an amazing athlete not to mention maybe one of the better runners in the league. He has strength just below Bettis strength and speed above Bettis speed. I hope he makes a good return to the field next year also.

drizze99
01-25-2006, 10:57 AM
IMHO, I don't think he'll be a Steeler next year unless he restructures. He is due a 2.5 Million roster bonus in March and I don't think the FO wants to pay that to a back that has hardly played for us in 2 years.

Infamix
01-25-2006, 11:00 AM
IMHO, I don't think he'll be a Steeler next year unless he restructures. He is due a 2.5 Million roster bonus in March and I don't think the FO wants to pay that to a back that has hardly played for us in 2 years.

Well everybody knows about how highly paid he is for the fact that he hasn't played much, but I still think the FO should use the money to have a solid runningback, like SteelCityPride said.

tony hipchest
01-25-2006, 11:01 AM
hes probably making more $$$ than jerome and willie and haynes put together but they are basking in the glory right now. his injury may have been one of those lingering ones like the groin jerome had in 2001 where if we had the luxury it probably wouldve been best to shut him down for the year. he didnt do to well against the pats in the champ game. duce probably comes back as healthy as hes been in years.

Steel - X
01-25-2006, 11:01 AM
Agree with drizze the guy may have some great ability but he is in the training room w/ injuries more than on the field. I personally thought his contract was up after this season but I could be wrong. If we can get him for the bare minimum I would still be hesitant to tie up a spot on him. We have been fine for 2 years without his services. TO me he is only an older Willie. I would rather take that money and spend it on some depth in the secondary or at WR.

Steel - X
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
duce probably comes back as healthy as hes been in years.

I totally disagree this guy is injured more than anyone in the league (it seems that way). I would not take a chacne on him for another season.

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2006, 11:03 AM
The local media here does not bring his name up at all. I have to wonder If it goes deeper than a simple "injury" problem. Maybe he's in Cowher's dog house? This is a guy who hasn't played a down in how many games and the media is keeping his situation very quiet. During Cowher PC's, his name is not even brought up in Cowher's direction. This is just speculation on my part, but I think it's more than just this mysterious "injury".

When the guy is healthy, he is a solid RB. But this season, all he proved to me was that he can get payed a nice chunk of coin for modeling our sideline jogging suit gear. :dang:

SalukiSteelers
01-25-2006, 11:11 AM
How 'bout the shot of Duce getting his picture taken with the AFC championship trophy?

Milkman
01-25-2006, 11:17 AM
If Duce is let go, it won't bother me any at all. He hasn't played much since becoming a Steeler and we haven't really missed a beat w/o him.

It would be better to just restock in the draft or free agency (rookie FA included).

drizze99
01-25-2006, 11:18 AM
The local media here does not bring his name up at all. I have to wonder If it goes deeper than a simple "injury" problem. Maybe he's in Cowher's dog house? This is a guy who hasn't played a down in how many games and the media is keeping his situation very quiet. During Cowher PC's, his name is not even brought up in Cowher's direction. This is just speculation on my part, but I think it's more than just this mysterious "injury".

When the guy is healthy, he is a solid RB. But this season, all he proved to me was that he can get payed a nice chunk of coin for modeling our sideline jogging suit gear. :dang:

Yea, I have been wondering this as well. It just seems awkward that Ben has a similar operation and he is back on the field after 4 games, yet Duce hasn't really even dressed the entire season (1 game?)

Duce is a great guy though. I had the oppertunity to meet and talk with him when he was an Eagle. Very down to earth and I even told him back then that i wished he played for the Steelers. I just like his style and level head approach to the game.

Infamix
01-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Thats coo^ and also dont forget how he ran all over the place for us last season

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2006, 11:34 AM
I'm not doubting that he's a nice guy or that he's a good player when he is actually healthy, but since arriving in Pittsburgh that has not been very often. I'm just starting to wonder If this guy is really worth the amount of cash and space that we have given him this season?

SteelerDan43
01-25-2006, 11:52 AM
My dad made the comment that he thinks they are trying to get him as healthy as possible to try to package him with the 1st round pick to move up and get White...

83-Steelers-43
01-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Never know. Personally, I don't see us giving up a first round pick. Just my opinion.

Steel - X
01-25-2006, 11:56 AM
We have won without him it is time to cut ties. He is 29 Years old and just can not prove to stay healthy to warrant the cash he is getting paid.

Steel - X
01-25-2006, 11:57 AM
My dad made the comment that he thinks they are trying to get him as healthy as possible to try to package him with the 1st round pick to move up and get White...

That is a great idea but I just do not see anyone taking a chance on him with the depth at the RB position coming out of this draft.

drizze99
01-25-2006, 11:58 AM
I think he was saying Duce+our 1st for like Miami's (#14) overall. Our goal would be to get L. White.

This is just an example. I know Miami does not need a back.

SteelerDan43
01-25-2006, 01:36 PM
That is a great idea but I just do not see anyone taking a chance on him with the depth at the RB position coming out of this draft.

I agree

Steel - X
01-25-2006, 02:01 PM
I would trade the man for anything you could get just relieve the cap hit.

Cape Cod Steel Head
01-25-2006, 02:07 PM
He's good when healthy which isn't that often. You can't afford to pay somebody that much money to ride the pine for 8 to 10 games a year. Get what you can for him.

Koopa
01-25-2006, 02:13 PM
i'm not gonna give up on duce, we are gonna need him next year if bettis retires, willie can not carry the load and needs someone to help him out. i'm sure duce will restructure his deal he did it this past offseason, he is a team guy and that's why we didn't see him much this year, he is letting bettis get his. this year is gonna save a year or two on his career and i think he might be able to take the starting job back from willie cause again willie can not carry the load he has showed he can't in the playoffs

Eztarget
01-25-2006, 03:24 PM
I'd rather see Duce let go and them offer Duckett (a free agent from Atlanta) a contract to replace Bettis. Duce had a lot of great years in Philly but his body is beat up worse than Bettis's. Duckett is much younger and running behind our line vs Atlanta's I think he would do awesome.

Parker for speed, Duckett for power.

augustashark
01-25-2006, 03:31 PM
The best thing about our RB situation is that we have found out how good Ben can be! I think without a doubt that if Duce was healthy and or Bettis was in his prime that we would not have made it to the SB..I think that Cowher would have tried and tried to run the ball, but because of the RB's, we have thrown the ball and we found out that as long as Ben is here and healthy we will be contending for years to come. A great QB and D with an ok running game will win you championships!!! Even if we end up with Willie and Veron as are stater and backup for next year we will contend again (if the D plays well)! Look at what the pats did in winning 3 out of 4 SB's.....Ok running game with great QB and D play!!! I say let Duce go or take a huge paycut and focus on depth at WR and DB's and O-line!! IMO

MichiSteeler
01-25-2006, 04:04 PM
I like the trade up for a chance at White idea. I also like the Duckett idea. I know he is a pretty good power runner that doesnt really get his glory. He played in my hometown and I watched him at Michigan State all the time. He seems like he would be a good back for our system. Except I'd rather have him carrying most of the load with Willie relieving him.

TasmanianTroy271
01-25-2006, 04:41 PM
I just think that Duce can't play the 3rd down back role, Cowher loves what Willie's been doing this year, and what's the point of having Bettis this year if we don't play him? that leaves Duce as the odd man out.

clevestinks
01-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Staley is a bust! No two ways about it! Cut all ties ASAP. Bring Bettis back for one more season, and draft Lendale White!

1fastprototype
01-25-2006, 05:00 PM
What is the official injury to Duce? I have seen people recover from open heart surgery quicker. I say let him go and take your chances in the draft or go after someone. Look at the Bears they put everything on the line for Groosman and where did they get? A mediocare QB only healthy for 6 games in 3 years and a bust in the playoffs. Sometimes you just cut your losses and move on.

Eztarget
01-25-2006, 05:14 PM
Staley is a bust! No two ways about it! Cut all ties ASAP. Bring Bettis back for one more season, and draft Lendale White!

When we win two weeks Bettis WILL retire. I've heard stories about how Bettis can't walk until Wednesday's after games without pain. The guy's gained a TOUGH 12,000+ yards and his body is showing it. Duce had a horrible heal/instep injury when he was in Philly and a lot of doctors said he might never play again when it happened. He did manage to come back but he's a shell of his former self from his hey-day in Philly.

If they can trade up and get White that would be awesome (imagine a young QB, young speed back in Parker and younger power back in White) but if not I'm still for going after Duckett. I just think Duckett would excel in our system with our Line blocking for him.

SteelerFanInATL
01-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Some players go through periods where they keep getting hurt. I wouldn't get rid of him.
He had over 700 yards in about nine games. If healthy he will produce. IMO we should keep him, draft a RB ( I'm another one who is not sold on Willie P.) and keep Parker ane Haynes. If Duce is healthy use him and Parker alternating in the backfield.

Steel Fury
01-26-2006, 11:09 AM
I have to say that I would get rid of Duce. I don't see how he would be decent trade bait though. White would be great but I think his stock is on the rise.

My call would be Alexander. I know that he is too much $$ but man he would be great. Imagine Ben, Ward, Miller and Alexander mixed with Willie.

SteelerFan1
01-26-2006, 01:41 PM
First of all, I'm a huge Bettis fan but we all know the second the Steelers win the Super Bowl as sad as it may be, Bettis will be retired. And as we've all seen this year, Willie Parker simply doesn't have what it takes to pound the ball in short yardage situations. Duce, on the other hand, is an excellent power back that would probably be starting if it wasn't for his humility. Why test the free agent waters when you know you already have a tried and true power back?

I think it's fair to say that beyond punching the ball for that extra 2 yards, the real reason Bettis is irreplaceable is because of his roll as an inspirational leader to the team. Once he's "home", and Duce takes over that short yardage roll I personally believe that the Duce/Willie duo will probably make an even more fearsome 1-2 punch than Bettis/Willie. After all, when Duce was healthy, he averaged more yards a carry than Bettis in the tough yardage situations. Give Duce a chance, I really think you'll like what you see.

Suitanim
01-26-2006, 04:09 PM
I'm in complete disagreement...I think Cowher said early this year that Duce was never gonna be healthy this year, and they were just fortunate to be able to rest him (for the most part...remember, he did dress and play when Bettis was banged up) and get him healthy. I look for the Steelers to give him the chance next year to fill the role of both Bettis and Haynes next year, namely short yardage/pile mover and 3rd down back, and keep Haynes as a reliable back-up.

This big back/small back tandem is working well, and I think they'd like to stick with it... White will be long gone by time we pick.

clevestinks
01-26-2006, 06:21 PM
Hey we made it to the big dance without him this season. And we went 15-1 last year without him most of the season. He isn`t needed

Suitanim
01-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Hey we made it to the big dance without him this season. And we went 15-1 last year without him most of the season. He isn`t needed

Not this year...but next year is a different story.

shevdog
01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
I have to say Duce is a good running back. If Duce keeps healthy and the Steelers bump him up again, then I'll be fine with that. Yet I hope the Steelers get rid of him and get another power back.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
01-26-2006, 07:44 PM
it doesnt bother me if duce is let go.......hes great when hes in but how often is that??

I would love for us to trade down and draft a running back. Preferrable White

24seven
01-26-2006, 10:42 PM
I for one think Duce will be here next year and better than ever. He may be nursing an injury but I also want to believe that he's just sitting back letting Bettis get his last year of glory in.. Parker for sure took the reigns and now it's Duce just suckin it up and takin a back seat on the bus.. IF you ask me it's very noble of him to do so and I just hope he comes back next year with a vengance.. I did see him with the afc trophy and he didn't seem to concerned about holding it or seemed he felt he wasn't deserving. You gotta know he's just jonesing to get out on that field. Hell I haven't played since High School and I would kill to get out on that field again. Him sitting on the sidelines all these games gotta eat at him. I can't imagine him content with it as any player longs for the playing time.. Lets just hope he's healthy and rarin to go next season and we'll make a run for the other thumb.. :)

OX1947
01-27-2006, 12:50 AM
I think he was saying Duce+our 1st for like Miami's (#14) overall. Our goal would be to get L. White.

This is just an example. I know Miami does not need a back.

WOW, that would be a steal for us. I would even go as far as adding a 2nd rounder in 2007 to get to 14. I think Miami would do it in a heart beat.

OX1947
01-27-2006, 12:53 AM
My ultimate fantasy would be to trade up to 14, get Lendale white and then draft nance in the 2nd round. With Big Ben developing so well, a 4 reciever set of Ward, Randle El, Wilson and Nance would be great. Then have Lendale white and Parker playing running back, that would be a loaded offense.

BlitzburghRockCity
01-27-2006, 12:53 AM
Are we ever gonna stop this get rid of Duce talk.. Duce is healthy and could play now if needed but he's not dressing because of Jerome and Willie,along with needing Haynes.

Im telling again, and mark it down, Duce will be back next year and ready to fight for the spot that Jerome holds now. The FO and Cowher like him alot, he will be back. It makes no sense not to bring him back. Do you really wanna head into the 2006 season with our RB's as Willie, Verron with the only NFL experience we have on our team. ?

jaysta
01-27-2006, 12:58 AM
keep Parker ane Haynes. If Duce is healthy use him and Parker alternating in the backfield.

I agree 100% that the Steelers should keep Haynes and possibly Staley. However Pittsburgh's offense just doesn't seem to be built for a back like Parker. I might try to shop him around. He's definitely quick and would probably be great on our Special Teams, but I think he'd do much better in another offense and probably be a star, just not in Pittsburgh's "in your face" type of Offense. Just my two cents on Willie P.

SteelerFanInATL
01-27-2006, 07:46 AM

He gained over 700 yards in about NINE GAMES last year. I would have to disagree with
"most of the season" , unless you want to count the playoffs. The thing that I really like about Duce is he has power like Bettis, and speed to go with it. I have seen alot of runs both this year and last year where Bettis would see the hole and just as he would start to
hit it the hole would close. I would think to myself that if Duce were in there he could have gained more yards because he would have been through the hole faster. Thats just my
$.02 worth.

Infamix
01-27-2006, 07:57 AM
He gained over 700 yards in about NINE GAMES last year. I would have to disagree with
"most of the season" , unless you want to count the playoffs. The thing that I really like about Duce is he has power like Bettis, and speed to go with it. I have seen alot of runs both this year and last year where Bettis would see the hole and just as he would start to
hit it the hole would close. I would think to myself that if Duce were in there he could have gained more yards because he would have been through the hole faster. Thats just my
$.02 worth.

exactly ^ everybody forgets what he did for us last year

Rotorhead
01-27-2006, 09:41 AM
I am pretty sure he will be here next year. He is probably healthy enough to play right now, but he (as well as everyone else) knows that it is the year of the Bus! I think that he is ok with taking a year off of taking a beating to let Bettis get his glory and will be back next year fresh and ready to go. Having said that, it is an interesting proposition about the Miami trade . . . thinking about White and Parker playing side by side is some good thinking.

clevestinks
01-27-2006, 03:32 PM
we do have our hands tide with his contract, and nobody else wants him, so he may be back

Suitanim
01-28-2006, 08:41 PM
Man, poor Willie. First off, he has to share carries with 3 other backs. Then he gets rested for a few games and actually sits one out completely. Then he runs for 1200 yards and a 4.7 ypc average in a confernce championship season, all as an unheralded "nobody", and his thanks? People calling him "Wrong for the Steelers" or "Not a feature NFL RB", or looking for trades, or...well, whatever...

Parker is not a flash in the pan.

Duce was picked up because the Bus was supposedly "done", and Staley was supposed to take over for him. Last year proved that Bettis wasn't done, and this year found us in a situation few teams in NFL history have ever been in: 3 starting caliber RB's on the same roster. Willie is the starter, Bettis plays his role, Duce filled in when needed, and Haynes played his. Next year Bettis retires, Duce steps into his role plus Haynes and Haynes is around for depth. We may draft a Cedric Humes (Virginia Tech) type guy as well.

Barring any freakish stuff, you can take all this to the bank...

football loser
01-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Is Staley in Cowher's 'Dog House'?
It seems that way.

but doesn't it seem ironic that out of all the player on the 2005 AFC championship Pittsburgh Steeler team, Duce Staley was the one, along with Jerome Bettis, to dump Gatorade on Bill Cowher after an emotional AFC victory. I myself was a little suprised by this. I wonder what is going on with Duce, as well!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
01-30-2006, 02:03 AM
No he's not in anybody's dog house.. he's healthy and ready to go if needed.. its just a matter of not enough roster spots right now to get him on the field.

Infamix
01-30-2006, 08:45 AM
What Suitanium said about Willie is true, I agree. Willie will also perform better if he doesn't share the load as much and carries 20+ times a game. He seems to get better as the game goes on, as a good back should.

rgleason
01-30-2006, 12:35 PM
First of all, no way Steelers get Lendale White. It was realistic to talk about before, but after the Rose Bowl and as time wears on, his stock is rising and he will go in the top 15, maybe top 10. I have a tough time us coming together with a deal to move that high. But more improtant, we dont need to!

I'm still baffled by how everyone is not sold on Willie P. Shop him around? Are you retarded? HE IS IN HIS SECOND YEAR AFTER BEING A FREE AGENT ROOKIE. Check out the word improvement in the dictionary. Willie has so much more he can add and improve on and he's on the best team to develop that talent. If he has 1200 yds, and you consider that failure, or not proof this guy is a keeper, you're insane. Willie aint going nowhere, and we'll have the same rushing attack we had this year, Willie with a bruising RB. Willie will beback next year and he will have over 1100 yds, I would put my life savigns on it.

Duce will stay and should stay. He is not in any Doghouse and is well liked and has been a class act all year. He can still get it done when he is healthy (GB game). Hopefully he can come back healthy (which I assume he is now) and contribute. Duce is a good runner with great pass catching abilities. I'm not ready to give up on him yet, this was just a unique situation this year.

Haynes comes back - good 3rd down back, great special teams - more valuable than you think. (And a able rusher if needed).

I dont think its unrealistic we take a RB somewhere in the draft, but I think we got enough in the position to come back and still be one of the top teams in the league next year.

Dook
01-30-2006, 03:06 PM
I think, and hope, the Steelers do take a RB in the draft. In my opinion it's at least a 2nd round need, a 1st if some miracle happens and Lendale White falls.

We always have 4 running backs on our roster because running is such a big part of our game. Duce has been out almost the whole year, Bettis is a once in a while back and retiring so that leaves Willie P. and Verron Haynes. Willie is not a 3rd and short back and Verron is not a GOOD 3rd down back. He picked up a couple for us this year but Jerome Bettis was our 3rd and short guy, not Verron. Also, what if Willie gets hurt? Then we are absolutely F***** with all capital letters.

I think Michael Bush or Cedric Hume are big backs who may work well in our style of football.