PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward as No.3 quarterback? It's a possibility Steelers could face

mesaSteeler
11-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Hines Ward as No.3 quarterback? It's a possibility Steelers could face
November 27, 4:29 AMPittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2009m11d27-Ward-as-No3-quarterback-Its-a-possibility-Steelers-could-face

PITTSBURGH - Mike Tomlin has a lot of confidence in his team, despite back to back losses for the second time this season.

But perhaps the biggest vote of confidence he has showed came this week in regards to the quarterback situation.

Ben Roethlisberger was knocked out of Sunday's loss to the Chiefs with a concussion, but has been practicing with the team all week. He cleared a battery of tests early in the week and told reporters yesterday that he was fine and not worried about things.

Still it’s hard to overlook the fact that in past after suffering a concussion his next game back he was not very good and the Steelers lost.

Back-up Charlie Batch is out for 2 to 4 weeks with a break in his arm or wrist area meaning with a must win game against the Ravens on Sunday Night Football the backup for Roethlisberger should he struggle or be knocked out of the game is unproven Dennis Dixon.

Dixon saw reps with the first team this week, sending signals that either Tomlin has questions about Roethlisberger or he was preparing Dixon for a worst case scenario, the latter being most likely.

Asked about the possibility of getting the call during the Ravens game, Dixon said there was no additional nervous energy, but was excited about the possibility.

"I won't have to do everything, there is a lot of leadership on offense, from the offensive line to the receivers, the running backs and it goes from there, I have a lot of confidence in them," Dixon said. “I like where I am at, and if it need be for me to go in and make a couple of plays I am ready."

The Steelers did sign former Pitt standout to the practice squad, but should both Roethlisberger and Dixon get injured against the always physical Ravens, it brings up an interesting scenario.

Who is the No. 3 quarterback?

"Obviously, if we get down to that, the situation is going to be dire and our personality is going to change quite a bit," Tomlin said. “Regardless of who it is, we’re not going to ask this guy to move the chains throwing and catching the football."

This may have been the hint.

Tomlin makes note of 'throwing and catching the football'. which is something that veteran Hines Ward has done during his career. Ward actually excelled in college as an all-purpose player at Georgia.

Two other possibilities on the team in an emergency include veteran DeShea Townsend who was a very good quarterback in high school at renowned South Panola High as was Willie Gay, who excelled as an all-purpose player at Rickards High school in Florida where he also saw snaps behind center.

On Thanksgiving Day the Steelers did bring in two veteran quarterbacks for workouts and physicals as both Patrick Ramsey and Todd Bouman were at the South Side facility.

Ramsey, was a first-round draft pick of the Washington Redskins in 2002, was released Oct. 23 by the Tennessee Titans. The 30 year old qb has 5,930 yards in his career and has a 79.4 passer rating. He last played in Denver last season as Jay Cutlers backup.

Bouman, 37, has been a career backup, with his last start coming in 1997 when he was elevated to the starting role to replace the injured Daunte Culpepper. He has 1,683 yards and has thrown for 11 touchdowns in his career.

KeiselPower99
11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
We want Losman!!!!

markymarc
11-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I would really hate to see William Gay back there under center. I am sure Ward can easily handle it if we did lose Ben and DD on Sunday night. But here's to us never finding out who the #3 QB would be. Ben leads us to victory :tt02:

devilsdancefloor
11-27-2009, 03:20 PM
I think hines could handle it BUT i never ever want to find out

7/39/43
11-27-2009, 03:49 PM
We want Losman!!!!

:banging: watch your language! that is very offensive

Nadroj 20
11-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Ward was a QB in college and im sure he could do a decent job if needed but lets just hope hes not needed.

MasterOfPuppets
11-27-2009, 04:17 PM
anyone else ever wonder why ward has never attempted a pass on a gadget ?

Nadroj 20
11-27-2009, 04:26 PM
anyone else ever wonder why ward has never attempted a pass on a gadget ?

I hope you do not think because they haven't used him in gadgets that he CANT do it.....thats not always the case.

I have thought this some as well but i do not think its because he cant make a good pass or anything

and sorry if i have misunderstood your post.

SteelGhost
11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
I hope the running game works nicely, whoever plays QB :tt:

SteelerEmpire
11-27-2009, 04:52 PM
Hines Ward or Townsend..... Yea.... keep it in the family.....!!!!! :tt03:

MasterOfPuppets
11-27-2009, 04:55 PM
I hope you do not think because they haven't used him in gadgets that he CANT do it.....thats not always the case.

I have thought this some as well but i do not think its because he cant make a good pass or anything

and sorry if i have misunderstood your post. nope...wasn't suggesting that at all... just wondering why they let randel el and bettis chuck the rock, but never have had a play with ward throwing it.:noidea:

Nadroj 20
11-27-2009, 05:00 PM
nope...wasn't suggesting that at all... just wondering why they let randel el and bettis chuck the rock, but never have had a play with ward throwing it.:noidea:

Ok then im with you on that thought too, i never really understood that either :noidea:

MACH1
11-27-2009, 05:11 PM
nope...wasn't suggesting that at all... just wondering why they let randel el and bettis chuck the rock, but never have had a play with ward throwing it.:noidea:

Wasn't Ward usually on the receiving end of those plays. :noidea:

Christian Snyder
11-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Before you use Ward as a #3 QB why not sign Jeff Garcia or some other FA QB????:noidea:

Borski
11-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Wasn't Ward usually on the receiving end of those plays. :noidea:

Exactly, he had the best hands on the field and when your using a play that isnt going to have an experienced QB throwing the ball you want to leave your best receiving hands on the field

tony hipchest
11-27-2009, 09:52 PM
actually what we need to do is alternate dixon and ward at wildcat qb.

go 2wr/2te/1rb all game.

moore-ward-miller in the backfield and dixon spread out wide left.

then alternate moore and mendenhall on every play while moving heath from the backfield to the line on every other play, in addition to rotating hines and dixon at qb on every play.

this rotation and combination is sure to confuse the ravens. :willy:

i tried it on madden once and it worked to perfection. granted, i was playing my 5 year old daughter, but she cant be dumber than anyone on the ravens coaching staff....

(on second thought, maybe we should unleash my plan on the browns.)

ward the 200 lb 35 year old qb is kinda scary. maybe even scarier than jeff garcia coming in off the street cold. it is what it is. ben will have to play or we better be prepared to run the hell out of the ball, play some excellent defense, and be able to lean on our special teams.

theplatypus
11-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Before you use Ward as a #3 QB why not sign Jeff Garcia or some other FA QB????:noidea:

My best guess is that Ward would already know the system while an outsider would face a fairly steep learning curve.

Christian Snyder
11-27-2009, 10:04 PM
My best guess is that Ward would already know the system while an outsider would face a fairly steep learning curve.
Yeah, I guess you're right.

Psyychoward86
11-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Ward, Townshend, or Gay behind Hartwig's butt........LOL NO. I'll take this guy for now http://i45.tinypic.com/x6iebp.jpg

:chuckle:

Christian Snyder
11-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Ward, Townshend, or Gay behind Hartwig's butt........LOL NO. I'll take this guy for now http://i45.tinypic.com/x6iebp.jpg

What the heck!?

Psyychoward86
11-27-2009, 10:13 PM
What the heck!?

photoshopped picture from a trash talking forum that i post on......well i think it's photoshopped anyways. lol

theplatypus
11-27-2009, 10:17 PM

That is an awful Photoshop job.

tony hipchest
11-27-2009, 10:18 PM
photoshopped picture from a trash talking forum that i post on......well i think it's photoshopped anyways. loli dont know... the ref with horse hoofs in the background leads me to believe it is real. :rolleyes:

Christian Snyder
11-27-2009, 10:18 PM
That is an awful Photoshop job.
I thought it was photoshopped!

Psyychoward86
11-27-2009, 10:20 PM
I thought it was photoshopped!

hey you never know, maybe Dixon was just trying to show some Bro-mance for Hartwig :flap:

Tone's Toes
11-27-2009, 10:59 PM
If we move a WR to QB than Sweed will be playing a lot of WR for us. Can you imagine Hines dropping back and throwing to Big Butterfingers! This won't end well.

Psyychoward86
11-27-2009, 11:50 PM
If we move a WR to QB than Sweed will be playing a lot of WR for us. Can you imagine Hines dropping back and throwing to Big Butterfingers! This won't end well.

i dont know what youre talking about. Hines is a hall of fame quarterback. he has been since college

xvdougl
11-28-2009, 12:00 AM
....as long as they don't let Limus QB it'll be ok.

Galax Steeler
11-28-2009, 08:12 AM
i dont know... the ref with horse hoofs in the background leads me to believe it is real. :rolleyes:

I just now noticed that I probably would not have seen it if you hadn't seen it.:toofunny: