PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger may sit out; decision on Saturday

willie_district
11-27-2009, 06:06 PM
According to Jason La Canfora's NFL.com blog...

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/27/roethlisberger-may-sit-out/

Ben Roethlisberger, who suffered a concussion Sunday in Kansas City but was symptom free and able to practice all week, may opt to sit out Sunday night’s game against the Ravens, according to a league source. Roethlisberger was officially listed as questionable by the Steelers and widely expected to play, but informed coach Mike Tomlin Friday that he might sit out the game as a precaution, according to the source.

Roethlisberger told Tomlin he fears taking another blow to the head so soon after being knocked from a game, and will make a final decision on his playing status on Saturday morning, before team meetings, according to the source. The message caught the organization completely by surprise, as Roethlisberger made it through a full week of practice without complications and, until Friday afternoon, had given every indication he would play.

Roethlisberger, who has suffered concussions in the past, is the only veteran quarterback on the roster. Backup Charlie Batch is out after a wrist injury, and youngster Dennis Dixon is now the primary back-up, and now the potential starter in a key game. Roethlisberger has waffled on his playing status dealing with certain injuries in the past, and the team does not have a read on which way he will lean come Saturday, with one source who knows Roethlisberger calling it an “hour-to-hour” situation at this point.

The only other quarterback on the roster is Tyler Palko, who was just signed to the practice squad this week. The Steelers worked out veterans Patrick Ramsey and Todd Bouman Thursday, and though both performed, well did not sign either due to the expectation Roethlisberger would play. Neither veteran knows the system well enough to play this Sunday in Baltimore, so if Roethlisberger opts not to start, the Steelers would have to gauge whether or not he is open to serving as the backup or emergency quarterback.

Concussions have become an increasing concern around the NFL, and the Steelers will continue to take every precaution, with Roethlisberger able to make a determination about his status. Earlier Friday, before meeting with Tomlin, the Pro Bowl quarterback pronounced himself ready to play to the media, but the Steelers are most definitely uncertain about that reality now.

MasterOfPuppets
11-27-2009, 06:20 PM
WTF ....:doh:

BlastFurnace
11-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I don't believe anything from Jason LaConfora. He was the same twig that said that Casey was going to be a cap casualty before the season began.

SteelGhost
11-27-2009, 06:33 PM
As much as I'd like him to play, if he's not 100% I prefer him to sit out. Concussions are serious injuries. As I said in another thread, I hope the running game works whoever plays QB. Get well Ben :tt03:

jjpro11
11-27-2009, 06:49 PM
i don't know if i believe this report either... it doesn't seem like a reliable source. but can anyone blame Ben if he did decide to sit out? he's only won us 2 Super Bowls, takes more punishment than any QB in the league by far, and already played one game a week after a concussion and played horrible.

Riddle_Of_Steel
11-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Could be just some smoke and mirrors so the Ravens don't know who to prepare for this weekend....we are pretty desperate at this point and would probably take any leg-up we can get.

Crow-Magnon
11-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Could be just some smoke and mirrors so the Ravens don't know who to prepare for this weekend....we are pretty desperate at this point and would probably take any leg-up we can get.

That, or the Drama Queen strikes again!

I would have a lot of respect for Ben if he does indeed sits out. Not because I think it gives Baltimore a better chance of winning (even though it surely will), but because concussions are not to be trifled with.

But if you're going to sit, then sit. If it's up in the air, then let your HC tell the media. Otherwise it smacks of ego.

Shoes
11-27-2009, 07:09 PM

I would have a lot of respect for Ben if he does indeed sits out. Not because I think it gives Baltimore a better chance of winning (even though it surely will), but because concussions are not to be trifled with.

But if you're going to sit, then sit. If it's up in the air, then let your HC tell the media. Otherwise it smacks of ego.

Exactly!

SteelCityMom
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM

For one, this is hardly the media, it's a blog writer. Secondly, this blog writer never once states that Roethlisberger came out and said anything...just that a "source within the league says" (he actually writes "according to a league source" 3 different times).

So you can drop the drama queen and egotistical crap.

Crow-Magnon
11-27-2009, 07:20 PM
For one, this is hardly the media, it's a blog writer. Secondly, this blog writer never once states that Roethlisberger came out and said anything...just that a "source within the league says" (he actually writes "according to a league source" 3 different times).

So you can drop the drama queen and egotistical crap.

Roethlisberger told Tomlin he fears taking another blow to the head so soon after being knocked from a game, and will make a final decision on his playing status on Saturday morning, before team meetings, according to the source

If the source is correct, then it sounds like Roethlisberger said it, not someone else.

And if this was the first time, I'd have nothing to say. But let's be honest, Ben has tried to milk controversy he can out of any injury.

He plays a lot tougher than he acts.

SteelCityMom
11-27-2009, 07:23 PM
If the source is correct, then it sounds like Roethlisberger said it, not someone else.

And if this was the first time, I'd have nothing to say. But let's be honest, Ben has tried to milk controversy he can out of any injury.

He plays a lot tougher than he acts.

The only thing it sounds like Ben said in the article is something to Tomlin, to the effect that he's not sure he should play b/c he's worried that another concussion could make matters even worse (in short). Is it possible another player or a trainer overheard the conversation? Or that maybe another player or a trainer is the "league source"? Sure. If Ben comes out and says something to the media himself, you can draw conclusions from that any way you want.

Not sure how something a league source says equates to Ben coming out to the media, and not sure what any of it has to do with everybody's lingering obsession with the toe controversy of '04 (there really isn't anything else you could be referring to).

Shoes
11-27-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree with you Crow, but Ben will play Sunday night.

RoethlisBURGHer
11-27-2009, 07:29 PM
This is the guy who replaced Adam Schefter at NFLN and he doesn't seem to have good sources. He's been wrong more often than not. His "league sources" are probably mail room clerks.

Rick5895
11-27-2009, 07:55 PM
I wonder where NFL network get these little guys that look like they never played a sport in thier lives. That being said, I have said on other threads I would prefer we err on the side of caution and not play Ben. I think that we will be fine with Dixon, and he might surprise some of us. He is a tremendous QB and we will win with Dennis in the game vs the Ratbirds.

steel striker
11-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Well I guess we will find out sunday night who is going to be under center for us. Ben has certainly taken a beaten just about every year and, if he can't go Dixon will have to come through for us. I still think Ben will play and, agree with the above post that Jason L from the nfl network id wrong most of the time.

AllD
11-27-2009, 08:25 PM
Creating a controvery to sell newspapers, magazines, and internet advertising.

Fire Haley
11-27-2009, 09:14 PM
I don't believe anything from Jason LaConfora. .

Yep - the same dillweed and his "unnamed source" that said Casey would be cut.

He's a poor man's Schefter - trying to justify his phoney job on the NFL Channel by coming up with these "inside sources", I can't stand him and his smarmy grin - he stinks.

onefortheotherhand
11-27-2009, 09:20 PM
well concussion's are serious.. if ben feels he needs to stay out then he should

BlastFurnace
11-27-2009, 09:24 PM
I admire those of you that think we have a chance with Dennis Dixon as the starter. IMO, our only chance to win this game is if Ben plays.

steelerzfannforever
11-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Roethlisberger ready to go against Ravens Friday, November 27, 2009
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger practiced the last two days showing no effects of the concussion he suffered in overtime against the Kansas City Chiefs. Roethlisberger said all is normal and he will play on Sunday night against the Ravens in Baltimore.

“I’m planning on it,” said Roethlisberger. “It’s been a normal week. We’ve got a big game Sunday night.” Roethlisberger, who suffered previous concussions, said he underwent testing before he was given the green light to practice and that he felt fine. He also said dealing with the danger of potential concussions is part of the game, even if not a welcome part.
“I’ve taken a thousand tests and passed them all with flying colors,” said Roethlisberger. “It’s part of the nature of the beast of playing this game. It’s a violent, physical contact sport and there’s a chance you’re going to get hit and dinged. You guys don’t talk about the bruises we have all over our body. If I showed you a bruise on my shoulder and a bruise on my shin, it wouldn’t get talked about as much. It’s a violent sport we play.”
Roethlisberger took a knee to the helmet against the Chiefs, but isn’t concerned about suffering yet another concussion.
“I’m not worried because we have the best doctors,” said Roethlisberger. “If I can go out and pass thousands of these tests and show that I’m fine, then I’m not worried about it.”

Psyychoward86
11-27-2009, 10:28 PM
It's from La Canfora. Ignore it

Venom
11-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Nfl Network and Espn both reporting that Big Ben may sit down Sunday . If so , Im wishing Dixon has a 158.3 QB rating and 4 rushing TD's . ( hey , I can wish it cant I )

Galax Steeler
11-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Nfl Network and Espn both reporting that Big Ben may sit down Sunday . If so , Im wishing Dixon has a 158.3 QB rating and 4 rushing TD's . ( hey , I can wish it cant I )

That is your right to wish if you want to but if he was to do that then Ben would be out for quiet a while.:chuckle:

ksmith_steelers
11-28-2009, 08:14 AM
LaCanfora is a tool. I don't believe anything that comes from his little weasel mouth....what a douche

supa_fly_steeler
11-28-2009, 09:09 AM
I would love to kick in Jason's head. He's a twat, i remember the shit he started saying about casey :@

Fire Haley
11-28-2009, 12:27 PM
Well I was wrong and he was right - we're screwed

Jmat
11-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Jason LaCanfora is better than all of you haters.

SteelCityMom
11-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Jason LaCanfora is better than all of you haters.

Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then. Doesn't mean he isn't anything but a hack blog writer who couldn't hold a candle to Adam Schefter. He's right up there with Mike "I'm gonna report that Bradshaw is dead" Florio.

markymarc
11-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I still can't stand Jason La Canfora. I know the NFL Network is really missing Adam Schefter. Adam was a huge pick up for ESPN. Unfortunately this report does seem to be correct. Here is the link from ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4695497

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be scratched for Sunday night's game against the Baltimore Ravens because of his concussion and will only be the third quarterback, a source confirmed to ESPN.com's John Clayton on Saturday.

Roethlisberger expressed reservations about playing Friday, and he and the Steelers' medical staff decided Saturday to sideline him.

The Steelers will sign quarterback Tyler Palko off the practice squad and release receiver Shaun McDonald. Dennis Dixon will be the starting quarterback and Palko will be the backup.

Ben Roethlisberger
Jerry Lai/US PresswireBen Roethlisberger helped secure a 23-14 victory and the AFC championship the last time the Steelers faced the Ravens.

Dixon, the third-string option before Charlie Batch broke his left wrist when he came in during last Sunday's loss to Kansas City, has appeared in one game in his two NFL seasons, completing one pass.

FoxSports.com first reported Roethlisberger's status Saturday morning.

Roethlisberger, who was having his best season statistically despite the Steelers' erratic play, went through "a normal week" of preparation for the pivotal game in Baltimore and had said he had every intention of playing.

"It's part of the nature of the beast of playing this game. It's a violent, physical contact sport and there's a chance you're going to get hit," Roethlisberger said Thursday. "You guys don't talk about the bruises we have all over our body. If I showed you a bruise on my shoulder and a bruise on my shin, it wouldn't get talked about as much. It's a violent sport we play."

The last time the Steelers and Ravens met, a place in the Super Bowl was at stake. This time, the matchup could play a big role in which team reaches the postseason.

Pittsburgh (6-4) beat Baltimore (5-5) three times in 2008 en route to its record sixth Super Bowl title, and its 23-14 win in the AFC title game may have been the most bruising encounter of the bunch.

The defensive battle saw each team punt seven times, with the Steelers putting the game out of reach with Troy Polamalu's 40-yard interception return for a touchdown with 4:24 left.

Both teams trail North leader Cincinnati, which is 7-3.

AFC North blog

Walker ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Baltimore failed to score an offensive touchdown for the second straight game last Sunday, falling 17-15 to unbeaten Indianapolis. Pittsburgh's loss last Sunday was much more surprising, blowing a 10-point lead in a 27-24 overtime defeat to a Kansas City team which entered with a 2-7 record.

The Steelers' second consecutive loss and the Ravens' fourth in six games helped jumble the AFC playoff picture, and has added fuel to this edition of the rivalry.

"You know it's fireworks every time we play these guys, we're excited about preparing for them," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "You know they're a similar team that we remember competing against. They can say similar things that we're saying, that they're a 5-5 team and not happy with where they are."

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco has gone three straight games without a touchdown pass for the first time in his career after throwing for 256 yards -- 142 to Derrick Mason -- in last week's loss.

Getting untracked against the Steelers' top-ranked defense won't be easy for the Ravens, whose losses have all come against current division leaders.

"These losses have been against teams that are quality football teams," coach John Harbaugh said. "Call them elite football teams in the league, but we aspire to that."

Flacco had one touchdown, five interceptions and a 44.9 completion percentage while getting sacked 10 times in the three losses to Pittsburgh last season.

Information from ESPN.com's John Clayton, The Associated Press and STATS LLC was used in this report.

Well time for Dixon to show the Steeler Nation that he is a very capable backup.