View Full Version : Motivated Dixon set for big shot with Steelers

mesaSteeler
11-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Motivated Dixon set for big shot with Steelers
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_655396.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 29, 2009

Dennis Dixon's right arm offers a glimpse into why he likely won't get stage fright tonight at Baltimore when he throws his first meaningful pass in two years.

Etched on it is an image of his mother's face along with the words, "I'll holla," which is what Jueretta Dixon would often tell Dennis before they parted.

The tattoo and the woman who showed him how to battle through adversity until cancer claimed her life while she was on the phone with her only son will serve as a source of strength tonight when Dixon makes his first career NFL start, against the Ravens.

Starting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will sit out the game as a precaution after sustaining his third football-related concussion last Sunday. Roethlisberger told Dixon Saturday morning that the latter would lead the Steelers' offense in today's key AFC North game.

What Dixon endured before and after his mother died almost six years ago is why playing in a stadium where fans are particularly hostile to the Steelers will be nothing to fret about.

What the Steelers and Dixon can't know is whether he is ready to make the jump from No. 3 quarterback to starter with Roethlisberger and Charlie Batch, who had surgery on his left wrist last Wednesday, out with injuries.

The second-year man, while talented, has thrown just one NFL pass. Dixon, 24, hasn't started a game since his senior year at the University of Oregon, and that came before a major knee injury ended his season and his Heisman Trophy candidacy.

"The nice thing about Dennis is he's usually pretty cool," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "He's been in big games. He kind of likes the stage, and that's what you want in a quarterback."

Lessons from a mother

Of the many qualities Dixon inherited from his mother, his father said two, along with her easy smile, stand out: "Quiet and focused on the task at hand," said Dennis Dixon Sr.

Jueretta Dixon exhibited both attributes and tapped into a deep reservoir of strength during her three-year battle with breast cancer.

She initially tried hiding her illness from her son and younger daughter so they wouldn't lose focus at school. She refused to take off work as a computer technician at the Naval Supply Center in Oakland, Calif., even as the cancer ravaged her body and a stroke left her paralyzed on her left side.

Just as she and her husband had been Dixon's biggest supporters growing up they rarely missed one of his games or practices she is still with him in spirit.

Dixon's ritual includes reciting the prayer his mother would say to him before games. To him, the "I'll holla" inscription on his arm serves as a reminder that the goodbye they shared on Feb. 3, 2004 is only temporary.

Indeed, their bond is so strong that not even death could break it.

"I know she's always participating with me," Dixon said.

Dixon, or Dennis Jr. as his parents always called him, last saw his mother shortly after he left for Oregon as a freshman.

One weekend he went home to visit, and as he made the eight-hour drive back to Eugene, he stopped every two hours to check in with his parents.

A couple of days later, he called home before one of his mother's chemotherapy appointments. With Jueretta in a wheelchair and unable to hold the phone, Dennis Dixon Sr. put the receiver by her ear.

As soon as she heard her son's voice, he said, she passed away.

She was 46 at the time of her death.

"I really believe she was holding on just for that moment," the elder Dixon said.

Dixon, who had enrolled at Oregon in January of 2004, struggled with the loss enough that he thought about going home for good.

A strong support system and the knowledge that quitting school is the last thing his mom would have wanted kept him at Oregon.

He eventually blossomed into one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks in the country. He had thrown or rushed for 29 touchdowns and over 2,700 yards through 10 games in 2007 before tearing the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his left knee.

The season-ending injury caused Dixon to fall to the fifth round of the 2008 NFL draft, and the Steelers were elated to get him.

Long and lean as a goal post, Dixon is arguably as good an athlete as anybody on the Steelers.

The 6-3, 209-pounder excelled in four sports (football, basketball, baseball and soccer) while growing up. He was drafted twice by Major League Baseball, and he spent a summer playing outfielder in the Atlanta Braves' minor-league system prior to his senior season at Oregon.

A fifth-round pick of the Braves in 2007, Dixon might have pursued a career in baseball had the sweeping curveballs he saw been easier to hit.

Focusing on the task at hand

Because he played in a spread option offense at Oregon, Dixon's learning curve in the NFL has been steeper than most.

But the Steelers were enamored with the ability Dixon showed as a pocket passer at Oregon.

"In college you think: 'Oh, he's just a running quarterback', but Dennis can really throw the ball, and he's very accurate," said safety Ryan Mundy, one of Dixon's closest friends on the Steelers. "I broke up a few of his balls (in practice), and I'm like: 'Dang, my fingers hurt.'

"He's always been focused and always wants to get better."

Arians agreed.

"He has worked his tail off to learn to get through a progression, stay in the pocket and then run if it's necessary," Arians said.

If it is necessary for Dixon to play tonight or in the coming weeks, he said he won't have trouble projecting confidence to those around him in the Steelers' huddle.

"You've got to show the team you're ready to go," Dixon said.

Hs father father has no doubts. Dennis Dixon Sr. and his son have become even closer since each lost the most important woman in their lives. Dixon Sr. rarely misses a Steelers' game even though he still lives and works in Oakland.

He piled up more frequent-flier miles this weekend as he traveled to Baltimore, and he will be in the stands tonight at M&T Bank Stadium.

Asked what Jueretta Dixon would be thinking with Dennis Jr. poised to take another step in a journey that has been a testament to perseverance, Dixon Sr. said: "Words couldn't say how proud she is right now."

Getting to know Dennis dixon

Here is the skinny on Steelers backup quarterback Dennis Dixon.

Ht.: 6-3

Weight: 209

Birthplace: San Leandro, Calif.

College: Oregon

Notable: Sixth on school's all-time list for total offense with 6,337 career yards.

Drafted: fifth round in 2008, 156th overall pick

Favorite TV show: "Prison Break"

Who is on your Ipod: Jay Z, Lil Wayne, U40

Favorite movie: "Deja Vu"

Favorite meal: Seafood. "I love crabs."

Favorite athlete growing up: Randall Cunningham

Favorite sports team growing up: Oakland Raiders

Something people don't know about you: "I can dance."

Funniest teammate: "(cornerback) Will Gay. That Florida slang that he's got, it's different than where I'm from. It's funny."

What three things you would have on a deserted island: Water, first-aid kit and food.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

devilsdancefloor
11-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Great story thanks for posting! I didnt know he lost his mother to cancer, very sad

Steelerfreak58
11-29-2009, 01:18 AM
I think the young man is going to have a great day and show the NFL why the Steelers and the FO picked him up. He has had plenty of time to learn the system and looked sharp as all get out during pre-season.

iloveben7
11-29-2009, 01:44 AM
I'm excited to see what Dennis can show to the world tmw. Kick some Ravens butt Double D

BlockMonsta
11-29-2009, 02:52 AM
So..it's offical? BigBen is out? Alright, well I know this guy can play from watching him with the Ducks, we could put sweed in there to block, he did have the key block on a 46yd TD run by DD vs the Bills some preseasons ago.

Steeldude
11-29-2009, 03:34 AM
if the ravens put 8-9 in the box the steelers are going to be in big trouble. it's going to be difficult to win without a QB. i know, i know, kordell was a great QB just like vick...:blah::blah::blah:

LVSteelersfan
11-29-2009, 04:36 AM
Ben is toast. Dixon will take his starting position away from him just like Ben took over for Maddox. (tongue firmly planted in cheek so don't flame me) I hope Dixon is up to the task. The Ravens are the worst possible team for him to make his first start against. Hopefully the line gives him some time with Kemo out as well.

Rick5895
11-29-2009, 04:47 AM
I said it before, I'll say it again, Dixon will be fine. I hope the ratbirds load up 8 or 9 kin the box, Steeldude. We'll put 30 on them if they do. Dixon will surprise a lot of people tonight. Especially the Ratbirds.

GoSlash27
11-29-2009, 07:29 AM
I said it before, I'll say it again, Dixon will be fine. I hope the ratbirds load up 8 or 9 kin the box, Steeldude. We'll put 30 on them if they do. Dixon will surprise a lot of people tonight. Especially the Ratbirds.
This. The Ravens aren't prepared for Dixon.

steel striker
11-29-2009, 07:31 AM
Nice read on Dixon sad he lost his mom to cancer and, Iost both of my parents to that horrible disease. I just hope we get off to a fast start so the whole game does not fall on Dennis's shoulders. I have a good feeling about this guy and, hopefully he proves me right. There was a reason we drafted him and, hopefully tonight he shows why. Also maybe tonight we try some trickery..... The rats won't know what hit them.

revefsreleets
11-29-2009, 09:00 AM
if the ravens put 8-9 in the box the steelers are going to be in big trouble. it's going to be difficult to win without a QB. i know, i know, kordell was a great QB just like vick...:blah::blah::blah:

Way to rally and show your support...you're a ray of bright sunshine, and we all appreciate the joy and fun your posts bring to this board.

supa_fly_steeler
11-29-2009, 09:13 AM
The only thing the Ravens can do in preparing for Dixon is asking about Troy Smith, but again he sucked as a dual threat when he was at ohio.

The only good dual threats this past decade has been Vick, Dixon and Tyrod Taylor, the latter 2 fall into being able to pass correctly with Vick falling into the rushing category of unknowns. (my opinion don't flame me i know there are some ohio state fans here)

Im especially excited that he is on NBC i wanna see what he says in the intro :tt04::tt04::tt04:

stlrz fan
11-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Great story. I hope the team really rallies around him and helps his intro be a good one. Agreat story if his first game is a win ina game of this magnitude.

mulldog24
11-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Nice post Mesa!!! One thing about it, Dixon has dealt with adversity in his short lifetime. I don't think that dealing with the Ravens will be anything that he can't handle. Losing his mother to cancer is certainly worse than anything the Ravens will throw at him, I think he will be fine. God bless you Dennis.

GBMelBlount
11-29-2009, 09:50 AM

Sorry Steeldude, I just don't think that is a fair characterization. The fact the he is a gifted athlete, not just a pocket passer, does not mean he can't transition. In the little I have seen him play, I have on several occasions seen him stay in the pocket and resist the urge to take off running. He also seems to have good focus imo.

Could it be quite easy to rattle him...first start, inconsistent line, bruising defense....absolutely. I understand your point.

But again, I believe he may be something special and hope that this is his opportunity to show himself as a competent quarterback who with the proper amount of time and development can take over the reigns when Ben's career is done. ...

Vincent
11-29-2009, 10:03 AM
I hope the rats put 8 or 9 in the box. We'd torch them.

Dennis Dixon was a very good college QB from a big time program. Before going down he was a serious Heismann candidate. He threw 20 TDs and only 4 picks. He had 9 rushing TDs and a 5.6 yd average. All in 10 games. He was clocked at 4.49 in 2005.

http://cdsdraft.com/profile.php?id=613

I like what he brings to the table. He's surrounded with the weapons to be successful and he's demonstrated he can do so.

I'll go out on a limb here. Our franchise QB just had his bell badly rung. He facing a PO'd team we abused 3 times last year that regularly pound him. Why risk potential career injury? Better to error on the side of caution. We did with Ryan. And I don't think the rats are ready for this.

AllD
11-29-2009, 10:04 AM
Opportunity knocks. His contract might be coming up for renewal which could be a contributing factor to many decisions. He could make a name for himself or he could go down that road that so many backup QBs have gone.

Clipboard, #2, or potential starter??? This could be the game.

revefsreleets
11-29-2009, 10:54 AM
The only thing the Ravens can do in preparing for Dixon is asking about Troy Smith, but again he sucked as a dual threat when he was at ohio.

:tt04::tt04::tt04:

Yeah...um....errrrrr....

Smith's QBR his last year at OSU was 161.9. He passed for over 2500 yards, 30 TD's to just 6 picks. Oh, yeah, he sucked so bad he won the Heisman.

Hate taints logic again, I suppose...

steel-tex
11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
WE WIN TONIGHT IF - #1 -B.C. INSTALLS A FIRST TIME ALMOST PERFECT GAME-PLAN FOR A SCREWED UP OFFENCE THAT JUST GOT MORE SCREWED UP BY LOOSING THERE STARTING QB. #2 OUR SPECIAL TEAMS DON'T LET A RUNBACK FOR A TOUCHDOWN #3 OUR D FINDS A WAY NOT TO FALL ASLEEP IN THE LAST PART OF THE GAME AND LET A LONG PASS OR TWO OR THREE GET THE RAVINS IN FIELD GOAL RANGE. #4 BACK TO B.C. - CAN HE CALL A PLAY ACTION PASS - THROW TO A BACK - A SLANT OR A SCREEN PASS WHEN RAY LEWIS AND PALS ARE BLITZING RIGHT THREW OUR MAKESHIFT O LINE ??? #5 B.A. AGAIN - HE NEEDS TO HELP DIXON WITH GREAT PLAYCALLS - HMMMM.......