PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning is an absolute machine

BlastFurnace
11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
True..he has had his playoff mishaps, but my gosh....three 10-0 starts in the past 5 years and the way he just picks apart a defense is amazing.

I think that anyone could coach the Colts and they would win as long as Manning is the QB there.

Edman
11-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Amazing regular season QB no doubt. Future HOF'er. Truly makes something with nothing.

But he still needs to perform better in the playoffs. Three 10-0 starts in five years, but he also has three 0-1 playoff runs in that same time (2005, 2007, 2008).

One and done is not going to cut it this year.

HometownGal
11-29-2009, 03:08 PM
He really is awesome - I don't think there is an intelligent football fan out there who can deny it. Peytoon is a TD machine.

fansince'76
11-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Sure, as long as the game is played in a temperature-controlled dome in perfect conditions. Put him outside in January in the snow or any other venue where the elements are a factor and he struggles mightily, which is partly why he's 7-8 in the postseason for his career.

tony hipchest
11-29-2009, 03:29 PM
Sure, as long as the game is played in a temperature-controlled dome in perfect conditions. Put him outside in January in the snow or any other venue where the elements are a factor and he struggles mightily, which is partly why he's 7-8 in the postseason for his career.well he did win his only sb mvp in miami, where it was pretty much a downpour from kick off to confetti.

i would say some of his struggles had more to do with the patriots cheating than the weather in foxboro.

Jmat
11-29-2009, 03:43 PM
The Colts are absolutely amazing. They always find a way to win. No matter how far down they might be in a game they find a way.
Peyton Manning is the real head coach of the Colts.

fansince'76
11-29-2009, 03:46 PM
well he did win his only sb mvp in miami, where it was pretty much a downpour from kick off to confetti.

He threw 1 TD against 1 INT for the game and got the MVP due to his name and rep, IMO. A very strong case can be made that Rhodes should have gotten it.

tony hipchest
11-29-2009, 04:05 PM
so that means he struggled? maybe one of the best defenses in the league had something to do with it? he still won the game and the award (in horrible weather).

he also struggled at home in the comfort dome against the steelers. :noidea: i dont recall any bad weather in 2 losses against the chargers. i think his first playoff loss was at home to the jets.

i cant recall the other 2 off hand but theres 6 of his 8 playoff losses were where weather or being out of the dome had very little to do with it. :hunch:

he was stigmatized as a playoff choker because of 2 losses against the cheatriots, and he is stigmatized of having a bad game if he throws for less than 300 yds and 3td.

fansince'76
11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
so that means he struggled? maybe one of the best defenses in the league had something to do with it? he still won the game and the award (in horrible weather).

he also struggled at home in the comfort dome against the steelers. :noidea: i dont recall any bad weather in 2 losses against the chargers. i think his first playoff loss was at home to the jets.

i cant recall the other 2 off hand but theres 6 of his 8 playoff losses were where weather or being out of the dome had very little to do with it. :hunch:

he was stigmatized as a playoff choker because of 2 losses against the cheatriots, and he is stigmatized of having a bad game if he throws for less than 300 yds and 3td.

I dunno, how about his 6-pick performance in San Diego in '07 in rainy conditions (which was labeled an "heroic performance" by the mediots covering the game) for another example? Who's stigmatized? The only other QB that possibly gets his balls washed more by the media is Golden Boy.

Christian Snyder
11-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Peyton Manning is the Best QB in football.... Ben is 2nd.

tony hipchest
11-29-2009, 04:28 PM
I dunno, how about his 6-pick performance in San Diego in '07 in rainy conditions (which was labeled an "heroic performance" by the mediots covering the game) for another example? Who's stigmatized? The only other QB that possibly gets his balls washed more by the media is Golden Boy.i get that people dont like manning and the media, but thats just 1 game out of 8 losses, right? :noidea:

jjpro11
11-29-2009, 04:44 PM
no matter what you think of Manning, the OC in Indy has the easiest prominent coaching job in the NFL. watch game film during the week, point out some things he saw on tape to Manning, and let Manning call practically the whole game.

hindes204
11-29-2009, 04:47 PM
The title of this thread says it all, the guy is a machine...hes definitly fun to watch. He could be considered one of the greatest of all time by the end of his career....that is, if he wins more in the post season. Of course, Marino is considered by many to be one of the greatest of all time, and he doesnt even have a ring

The Patriot
11-29-2009, 09:56 PM
My car is a machine. It never fails me for most of the year, but in the winter, when I need it most, it stalls.

Edman
11-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Peyton Manning is the Best Regular Season QB in football.... Ben is 2nd.

This is more accurate.

steelreserve
11-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Yeah, a choking in the playoffs machine.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 02:30 AM
The Colts are absolutely amazing. They always find a way to win. No matter how far down they might be in a game they find a way.
Peyton Manning is the real head coach of the Colts.
have you seen his playoff record ? you know...the games that actually mean something ..:noidea:

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 07:58 AM
With all the drek at the QB position, it is a pleasure to watch a guy play the position at a constant high level.

xfl2001fan
11-30-2009, 12:28 PM
In the playoffs, you need to have a good defense...particularly a good run defense. That's something he typically doesn't have. The one time the Colts Run Defense plays out of their mind, they go on a long playoff run that ends with a ring. I'd venture to say that Bob Sanders deserved the SBMVP moreso than Peyton.

He is a great QB...and when paired with a good defense, he'll win another ring. This season isn't that season though. Especially now that Sanders and one of the other Corners is on the IR. I don't know that it'll be one and done...but I don't foresee a ring with that team. (Football is a team game...no matter how much the media slob-knobs the QB position.)

Indo
11-30-2009, 12:47 PM
In the playoffs, you need to have a good defense...particularly a good run defense. That's something he typically doesn't have. The one time the Colts Run Defense plays out of their mind, they go on a long playoff run that ends with a ring. I'd venture to say that Bob Sanders deserved the SBMVP moreso than Peyton.

He is a great QB...and when paired with a good defense, he'll win another ring. This season isn't that season though. Especially now that Sanders and one of the other Corners is on the IR. I don't know that it'll be one and done...but I don't foresee a ring with that team. (Football is a team game...no matter how much the media slob-knobs the QB position.)

Have to agree with you here.
And as much as I want it to be the Steelers this year, I must be honest and say I'm a little worried that it won't be.

This year---the Saints are the Team that's gellin'

Hope I'm wrong about the Steelers...
although I do like the Saints---lived in New Orleans for 20 years and became a fan...

xfl2001fan
11-30-2009, 12:53 PM
I thought you guys would have a really good chance to repeat...but didn't expect to see a rising Bungles team...nor did I expect for the Stillers to slip like this. Wish I knew what to pinpoint...but I'm so disenchanted with my Browns team, I haven't watched a lot of football lately, hehe.

The Saints might just be the team to beat...though Minnesota is going to provide one heck of a matchup problem for them. They don't need to blitz to get to the QB...and it's hard to run it on them. It'll come down to how well the Saints D performas against the AP/Favre led offense...which is about as good as it comes right now.

Indo
11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
It has become clear that you cannot ever count Lord Favre out...

It's gonna be an interesting December...

xfl2001fan
11-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Aye...I used to love watching him play when he was with GB. It wasn't until he started this waffling-media-circus with his retirement/unretirement that I got sick of him. He's still fun to watch if you can just ignore the name. He certainly loves the game of football and is almost always having fun when he plays. Now that Madden has retired, it is a bit easier to watch him play...his name gets used about half as often...though still 4 times too much. :flap:

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 01:50 PM
Drew Brees is just as amazing in a different way. Those two QB's are clearly the cream of the NFL crop. Ben is the #1 gunslinger QB in the league (used to be Favre). He's #3 overall in my book, with favre and Rivers rounding out the top 5.

I just wonder about Manning if he played for a team like the Steelers that forced him to move around a bit. He's not mobile at all, and depends on a quick release when he's under fire, which is fine, but it would change the complexion of the offense that's run around him....

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 03:14 PM
I just wonder about Manning if he played for a team like the Steelers that forced him to move around a bit. He's not mobile at all, and depends on a quick release when he's under fire, which is fine, but it would change the complexion of the offense that's run around him....

I'm sure he'd demand that that idiot Arians be given his walking papers! :chuckle:

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm sure he'd demand that that idiot Arians be given his walking papers! :chuckle:

You mean the same Bruce Arians who was Peyton's QB coach for his first three years in the league?

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 03:34 PM

I hope that the Vikes finish the regular season 15-1. That'd be sweet knowing that we were the only team that could beat them. :tt02:

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
You mean the same Bruce Arians who was Peyton's QB coach for his first three years in the league?

Doesn't matter to the scapegoating haters around this place, revs. No matter what the guy does, he's the anti-Christ. :shake02:

Christian Snyder
11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Doesn't matter to the scapegoating haters around this place, revs. No matter what the guy does, he's the anti-Christ. :shake02:
I thought he was satan?

Steelboy84
12-04-2009, 09:28 AM
He'll go down as the best of all time. I can not lie.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 01:26 PM
He'll go down as the best of all time. I can not lie.

Who, Bruce Arians?

I keed, I keed....

I think you are probably right....before all is said and done, Peyton Manning will be recognized as the greatest QB to ever play the game. He hardly gets sacked, he's like never even missed a game due to injury, he puts up crazy numbers year after year, and the Colts seem pretty committed to keeping him there forever. In that system (which is more or less HIS), he's going to be dominant for years to come.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-04-2009, 01:44 PM
He very well may be the best ever but he is also the quickest to lay blame when his team loses.

I'm sure we all remember the idiot kicker comment and of course when we beat them it was if my line would have blocked better.

Great QB probably but not such a great team mate.

Say what you will I'll still take Ben over him any day or tom terrific for that matter.

Gnutella
12-06-2009, 09:21 AM
In order to be the best of all time, you have to be great in both the regular season and the post-season. That would make Joe Montana the best of all time.

Everybody makes excuses for Peyton Manning in the post-season, but here's an interesting set of numbers for you:

16, 17, 0, 14, 3, 18, 24, 17.

Those are the point totals scored by the Colts in their last eight playoff losses. That's 13.6 points per game. If I remove the two low outliers (0, 3), it's still only 17.7 points per game. Overall, the Colts have scored less than 20 points in seven of their last eight playoff losses.

Here's another interesting set of numbers:

19, 23, 41, 24, 20, 21, 28, 23.

Those are the point totals allowed by the Colts in their last eight playoff losses. That's 24.9 points allowed per game. If I remove the high outlier (41), it's 22.6 points per game. Basically, a "normal" playoff loss for the Colts during the Peyton Manning era has been lost by a score of 23-18.

You'll have to pardon my skepticism, but 23 points is not an insurmountable lead, especially for a "high-octane" offense. Indeed, only two of their last eight playoff losses can be blamed to any degree on the defense (41, 28). In the other six, it's the offense that couldn't get the job done.

By comparison, the Steelers have scored no fewer than 20 points in any playoff game during the Ben Roethlisberger era, win or lose. So who's really "overrated" here?

Peyton Manning is the best student of the game I've ever seen. Peyton Manning is the best regular-season QB I've ever seen. Peyton Manning is not the best overall QB I've ever seen, and his lack of consistent production in the playoffs seals the deal.

revefsreleets
12-06-2009, 12:14 PM
I wasn't aware that Manning's career was over and he had made his final mark concerning post-season performances?