PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams

steelbad@50
11-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Every Steeler fan here knows this has been our weakness and for most parts has not been rectified. What do the Steelers need to do to fix this problem, any ideas? I got one, how about on kick-offs Jeff Reed try kicking the ball in the end zone. Has he ever done that, ever? At the same time I am glad to have him playing for the Steelers because he is pretty accurate on field goal attempts and extra points. Dam, talk about taking the good with the bad:doh:

BlastFurnace
11-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Find themselves a David Bueller like the Cowboys did this past draft. Someone who can kick the ball out of the back of the end zone every single time. That's his only job on the Cowboys and he does it nearly every single time. It's worth the roster spot.

Edman
11-29-2009, 04:36 PM
1)Get someone who can do kickoffs.

2)Take Bob Ligashevsky and ship him out of Pittsburgh.

There. Improved special teams.

stb_steeler
11-29-2009, 06:31 PM
We had a long kicker until preseason was over..He could kick a 65 yarder for field goals and put in the endzone. I believe his name was Czech, u know the polish kid.

jjpro11
11-29-2009, 06:37 PM
there has to be a European soccer player somewhere out there that can kick an American football 75-80 yards consistently. I'd fly over there and try to find him if the Steelers hired me.

steel striker
11-29-2009, 06:40 PM
I think we just have to tackle better and, I don't care how they do it as long as we don't give up the big run.

steelbad@50
11-29-2009, 06:52 PM
I think we just have to tackle better and, I don't care how they do it as long as we don't give up the big run.I agree with that but field position plays an important part in our game. It would be great for us if the opposition were to start on their 20 with a defense like we have. :sign02:

fansince'76
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
We had a long kicker until preseason was over..He could kick a 65 yarder for field goals....I believe his name was Czech, u know the polish kid.

In what alternate universe?

Texasteel
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Every Steeler fan here knows this has been our weakness and for most parts has not been rectified. What do the Steelers need to do to fix this problem, any ideas? I got one, how about on kick-offs Jeff Reed try kicking the ball in the end zone. Has he ever done that, ever? At the same time I am glad to have him playing for the Steelers because he is pretty accurate on field goal attempts and extra points. Dam, talk about taking the good with the bad:doh:

Unless the ST players start tackling that just means a 105 yd TD.

HometownGal
11-29-2009, 07:52 PM

Skippy does kick the ball into the EZ on occasion - just did last week against the Chiefs.

Jeff Reed isn't the problem on ST's.

hindes204
11-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Skippy does kick the ball into the EZ on occasion - just did last week against the Chiefs.

Jeff Reed isn't the problem on ST's.

I agree, Reed is the least of the problems on ST

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 02:30 AM
Gerry Dulac in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette gave the special teams this summary and grade for this week:

Special teams - Grade C
It probably should be considered a significant achievement that they didn't allow a kick return for touchdown after giving up four in the previous five games. But they allowed a 34-yard punt return by Chris Carr in the fourth quarter. Jeff Reed hit a big 44-yard field goal in the third quarter and Daniel Sepulveda had punts of 54 and 58 yards to give the Ravens a long field.

What he didnt' say was that a punt return was almost run back. I know, there was a penalty but we got really lucky , as that block wasn't significant enough. I agree though, even though our special teams was average, I almost feel relieved and feel like we did well, just because the speciam teams have been so bad this year. I long for the days when I looked forward to seeing your special teams in action. Now, everytime we score, I get nervous about the kickoff return.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 02:33 AM
1)Get someone who can do kickoffs.

2)Take Bob Ligashevsky and ship him out of Pittsburgh.

There. Improved special teams.

BEST DARN POST OF THE WEEK. Ship out Ligashesky and let him coach high school golf or football somewhere. After being canned 3 times in a row, I doubt he can get another NFL job.

I would add, let's get a special teams guru in here. With all of our great athletes ( Patrick Bailey, Keyaron Fox, and others, I would expect our special teams to be one of the best with a decent special teams coach ) And I absolutely HATE having our starters play on special teams. Imagine James Harrison or another starter getting hurt? That would be inexcusable.

MJ5150
11-30-2009, 03:01 AM
Looks to me like a lack of discipline and basic football fundamentals on special teams. I'm not ready to run out there and blame Jeff Reed for not kicking the ball far enough.

Anyone who has played organized football knows you have to stay in your lanes and remain disciplined on kickoffs. The term "breakdown in coverage" almost always accompanies a kickoff return for a TD highlight.

-Mike