PDA

View Full Version : Willie Gay again getting picked on

Venom
11-29-2009, 07:43 PM
Quarterbacks love to pick on Gay . And most of the time, the QB wins. Flaco best him 3 times on the first drive. Could be a long night . Lets go Dixon !!!!

Rick5895
11-29-2009, 07:52 PM
They pick on him because he can't cover. As for the O, way too conservative. I love to run, but we gotta back them off a little bit, and a mickey mouse holding call on Hartwig.

Rick5895
11-29-2009, 08:05 PM
Better, go get em DIXON!!!!!

onefortheotherhand
11-29-2009, 08:56 PM
big play willie gay..for the other team haha

onefortheotherhand
11-29-2009, 09:03 PM
no i take that back haha FF

BlastFurnace
11-29-2009, 09:40 PM
Worst Steelers CB since Sam Washington of the 1980's

Guy can't cover or tackle. Just plain aweful!

Edman
11-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Gay definately isn't ready to carry the position of a starter CB.

Either he gets better over the offseason or gets shipped out.

supa_fly_steeler
11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Worst Steelers CB since Sam Washington of the 1980's

Guy can't cover or tackle. Just plain aweful!

what he is pretty consistent in the tackling department.

Carolina Steelers
11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I say put Deshea back in a starter!

chucoblack&gold
11-29-2009, 11:00 PM
what he is pretty consistent in the tackling department.

yeah, and also consistently giving up the big plays :buttkick::doh:

Shea
11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Gay does seem to be a liability in our secondary right now and it does seem like teams have been targeting him.
He just needs to........oh hell I don't know anymore........

supa_fly_steeler
11-29-2009, 11:12 PM
He actually intercepted a Flacco pass in the endzone in 2008, if he didnt intercept mason gets the touchdown and we wouldnt of won...

Why don't you go audition for Cornerback if you think your better, and for your information don't bring we need mcfadden, vince young disgracefully toyed with him... targetting a rookie.

face it our secondary is shit without polamalu

BozMan
11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Never thought the loss of McFadden would hurt this much. What are our realistic options at this point?

Would Townsend or Burnett be an upgrade?

supa_fly_steeler
11-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Never thought the loss of McFadden would hurt this much. What are our realistic options at this point?

I sure as hell wouldn't want McFadden back after the showing he performed today against Vince Young.

Steel-Bryan
11-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Townsend would be a major upgrade

Steeldude
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Quarterbacks love to pick on Gay . And most of the time, the QB wins. Flaco best him 3 times on the first drive. Could be a long night . Lets go Dixon !!!!

they picked on taylor too and it worked for them

Steeldude
11-30-2009, 12:16 AM
Never thought the loss of McFadden would hurt this much

did i miss something? when was mcfadden a good CB? i have heard is playing rather poorly in arizona.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 12:17 AM
I sure as hell wouldn't want McFadden back after the showing he performed today against Vince Young.

Thank you. McFadden wasn't all that much of a loss.

Mags87
11-30-2009, 12:26 AM

i cant believe this thread. sure Gay gives up some plays, but he's not our #1 corner. i saw Taylor give up an easy floater TD to Mason today. do we fire him? Gay's our starter and prolly will be for a while. our weak secondary is due to the fact that a certain #43 isn't there for the support that we need. I dont know of too many QB's willing to air out the ball like ive seen lately with Troy in the secondary. :banging::banging::banging:
we took our bitter division rivals into OT w/o our best player on O or D and you guys want to can our starters?!?!?! :banging::banging::banging: stand by your team!

ricardisimo
11-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Yeah, Taylor and Clark have both been blowing plays, and Carter has had his ups and downs as well. I honestly don't think Gay is doing that badly, all things considered.
Troy is definitely the missing puzzle piece, no doubt.
Either he gets better over the offseason or gets shipped out.
Um, that seems a tad extreme, as well as completely unrealistic for any team not owned by Al Davis. You don't run your #2 corner out of town for being your #2 corner.

MJ5150
11-30-2009, 12:48 AM
He is having a tough year for sure. When a guy gets down like that, it's hard to get back up. Everyone and their momma saw what AP did to him. The word is out that he is weak, so every OC is going to pick on him now. I hope he pulls it back together before he gets cut. Poor guy. But yeah, he does make me mad too.

I was surprised to see Ike playing like a JV bench warmer tonight. Flacco ain't that great now.

-Mike

BozMan
11-30-2009, 01:00 AM
did i miss something? when was mcfadden a good CB? i have heard is playing rather poorly in arizona.

Not saying McFadden is a good CB. But at least last year, it was fair to say he was at least above average, which is better than Gay. I haven't watched McFadden at all for Arizona this year (who knows... maybe he doesnt care as much after getting a fat contract, or he's struggling to learn a new system in AZ). But we did lose some depth and experience at the CB position with McFadden's departure.

I would rather have McFadden here (and motivated) with Gay behind him than what we have now.

That being said, it probably wasn't in the cards with the way the $ and the cap worked out. I'd rather have Heath resigned than McFadden.

Just saying we took at hit to our depth, experience, and overall skill at CB with McFadden's leaving and having to promote Gay and bring in rookies (Burnett, Lewis), all while Townsend is a year older. It's surprising to see such a drop off from McFadden to Gay.

eafratitpm3
11-30-2009, 01:30 AM
I understand Gay isn't that good or experienced but why do we continue to have both him and Ike 10-12 yards off of WR's constantly. I could count 4 or 5 plays where when both teams lined up you didn't even see a DB in the picture. I would rather get burned deep than seeing teams dink and dunk down the field. When was the last time you saw one of our DB's actually up on the Receiver and give them a chuck, I guess that's a lost art. It's so frustrating to see LeBeau call an all out Blitz and the QB just throw it over to the receiver so he can run 6-8 yards. What's the point of Blitzing.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Gay bashing is a hate crime....:popcorn:

Steeldude
11-30-2009, 07:04 AM
here is what the cardinal fans are saying about mcfadden

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=46129

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 07:28 AM
I understand Gay isn't that good or experienced but why do we continue to have both him and Ike 10-12 yards off of WR's constantly. I could count 4 or 5 plays where when both teams lined up you didn't even see a DB in the picture. I would rather get burned deep than seeing teams dink and dunk down the field. When was the last time you saw one of our DB's actually up on the Receiver and give them a chuck, I guess that's a lost art. It's so frustrating to see LeBeau call an all out Blitz and the QB just throw it over to the receiver so he can run 6-8 yards. What's the point of Blitzing.

The problem is that he can't play press coverage either. The Steelers scheme has the CB's keeping everything in front of them. The problem is, Gay plays about 10-12 off the LOS and then backpedals after that.

MillerMania83
11-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Let's be honest here people, SERIOUSLY, the entire secondary is VERY mediocre to just plain BAD (except for all world #43 which is a given)....I mean cmon, these guys just DON'T MAKE the plays that you need to play winning, Super Bowl caliber football, they just don't....Gay is HORRENDOUS out there, Clark is a hitter yeah, but how many INT's has he dropped right in his hands, that could have been game changers, Ike is usually steady but IMO another guy who let's the guy make the catch and then makes the tackle, just isn't making the BIG play to help stop drives...Carter seems to be getting better IMO, but he's no #43 and I hope he's not trying to be, cuz there is only 1 #43, needs to be himself and needs to get the job done, Deshea is steady but with the way things have played out this year and especially recently, HAS TO PLAY BETTER....Actually, they all need to look in the mirror and ask themselves am I doing my best, and I got the feeling most of them would answer, NAH....You need guys back there to make BIG plays, like making INT's that are in YOUR HANDS, lol, to help the team win close games, and IMO it's not even close to that this year, NOT EVEN CLOSE...In the offseason, might be time to think about "cleaning house" back there if ya asm me.

thebigeasy
11-30-2009, 04:42 PM
I get so disgusted with the defense. Especially the DBs. If I were the coach, I would run Gay, Taylor, and Clark around Hines field until they passed out. The only problem is they would quit about half way round the place. They have no heart and very little skill. No STEELERS PRIDE !!!!!!!!!!

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Yeah, Taylor and Clark have both been blowing plays, and Carter has had his ups and downs as well. I honestly don't think Gay is doing that badly, all things considered.
Troy is definitely the missing puzzle piece, no doubt.

Um, that seems a tad extreme, as well as completely unrealistic for any team not owned by Al Davis. You don't run your #2 corner out of town for being your #2 corner.

Gay is a Nickel back at best. That's where his role is. He's not a #2 Corner. Not when opposing QB's complete at a 69% rate at his direction.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
here is what the cardinal fans are saying about mcfadden

http://forums.azcardinals.com/showthread.php?t=46129

Oohhh....I'd take him back. I wish he was on the market.

solardave
11-30-2009, 05:08 PM
we need to look at drafting a replacement for Gay next year. He could be a good backup but I think he is just not starting material.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Oohhh....I'd take him back. I wish he was on the market.

Replacing Gay with McFadden would be pretty much a wash, IMO.

steelerjim58
11-30-2009, 06:04 PM

This has also driven me crazy. The idea of blitzing is to either get a sack or hurry the qb into bad throw or throw it away. So why not play up on the receiver to take away the quick throw?

Texasteel
11-30-2009, 06:08 PM
Replacing Gay with McFadden would be pretty much a wash, IMO.

Wasn't McFadden and Gay pretty much splitting time last year. Can't remember there being a lot of difference either.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 06:27 PM
Wasn't McFadden and Gay pretty much splitting time last year. Can't remember there being a lot of difference either.

They weren't splitting time before BMAC broke his arm.

Texasteel
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
They weren't splitting time before BMAC broke his arm.

Well it still must be broke cause he still isn't playing very well.

CaseyHamburglar
11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Man, we were so close to getting Darrelle Revis. LT is a good consolation prize though. Haha