PDA

View Full Version : Why not run with Dixon?

madtowndrunkard
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
We tried it twice and had huge gains. Why not make the Ravens stop him running?

Just idiotic IMO. That drive playcalling was stupid to not even once attempt to run w/ Dixon.

madtowndrunkard
11-29-2009, 11:38 PM
You just can't defend the play calling. Throwing deep on 2nd down and 6!!! Have we not shown that we can run the ball?!!!! Why not run Dixon!??

madtowndrunkard
11-29-2009, 11:43 PM
Laughable.

steelerjim58
11-29-2009, 11:46 PM
The play calling in ot was terrible. No way to defend it.

fansince'76
11-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Really? Funny, but people bitched ALL NIGHT that we were running too much again. Make up your goddamn minds, folks.

Nadroj 20
11-29-2009, 11:49 PM
I would have loved tto see them let dixon use his legs more, misdirection play there in OT would have worked.

SmashmouthFootball
11-29-2009, 11:49 PM
We had three drives that had the chance to be game winning drives.

Aside from the QB sneak, we never even gave Dixon the OPTION of running.

I'm okay with throwing, but run Dixon outside on a boot-leg option.

It scored us a touchdown, and then they never even bothered to try to put him in a situation like that again.

They made the game harder than it needed to and it resulted in an interception.

I'm okay with taking a deep shot on 2nd and 6. I'm just not okay with probably close to 15-20 plays with 0 of them using the legs of your athletic to even try and make somethin happen.

Steelillini
11-29-2009, 11:50 PM
I didn't mind the running but you have to let Dixon's legs do something, the passing game was not that good in the 2nd half

Spidey
11-29-2009, 11:51 PM
BA was content to bring up another 3rd down and then let dixon sit and try and pass from the pocket!

Another loss down to Brucey!!

BlastFurnace
11-29-2009, 11:52 PM
2 Times Dixon rolls out and good things happen...what does Arians do...never calls any kind of rollout any other time.

There was yardage out there for Dixon with his legs and the Steelers didn't exploit it at all.

Need4Sweed
11-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Not one f'n time did BA try to get DD to the corner to pose a threat of pass or run...not one. Just drop him back in the pocket and ask him to win the game with his arm...UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! play calling. BA ability to call a gm needs to be reevaluated at years end.

Raw Steel
11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
I thought the playcalling was good today except for this topic.

The biggest fear early with running him was if he got hurt, Palko would be next in line and he just joined the team three days ago. But once the game was on the line, there was no doubt, they should have given options for Dixon to run. Just no reason to not at least try it. But again Arians isn't very smart. Been saying that since he was at Temple and I will say it if they win another Super Bowl.

Overall, a good effort today, but another winnable game down the drain. That makes five.

Nighthawk
11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
IF Dixon ran AND got hurt... who was going to play QB for us?

steelbad@50
11-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Even though we lost this game, Dixon played well. Not perfect, but well.:applaudit: Play calling on the other hand sucked, 3 losses in a row hurt no doubt about it. We are down but not out. Lets just hope we get are key injured players back next week to make a run for that wildcard spot.

jaygorius
11-29-2009, 11:57 PM

I guess the thing is does it really matter at that point? It is kind of do or die right now, the time to take risks.

BlastFurnace
11-29-2009, 11:59 PM
I thought the playcalling was good today except for this topic.

The biggest fear early with running him was if he got hurt, Palko would be next in line and he just joined the team three days ago. But once the game was on the line, there was no doubt, they should have given options for Dixon to run. Just no reason to not at least try it. But again Arians isn't very smart. Been saying that since he was at Temple and I will say it if they win another Super Bowl.

Overall, a good effort today, but another winnable game down the drain. That makes five.

Sorry...but if we lose tonight, we are begging for help the rest of the year. This was one game that Dixon was going to start. We should have done everything we could to use his skills....and we didn't.

srk173

In OT it doesnt matter. Ben could have came in the game. What could have happened but not trying gave us the loss much faster. I hope we loose the rest of our games and they fire that ass Arians.

pepsyman1
You can't put the entire game on the line by worrying that a football player might get hurt. If all you're gonna do is play not to lose, you're not gonna win anyway. He's a football player, let him play football. I worry about Rothlesberger everytime I watch him scramble in the pocket because I'm sure one of these times he's just gonna be carted off the field for the rest of year.

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 12:01 AM
You can't defend Arians play calling in this game. You just can't.

Dixon is not going to win any game w/ his arm. Asking him to throw deep 2-6 and getting close to FG range is just retarded. Why give up a free down? risk a INT or a sack? Mean while we are running all over them.

If we even get 3 yards it's 3rd and 3.....very manageable. Instead it's now 3rd -6 and you are asking Dixon to do it with his arm.

The biggest travesty is the fact that our retarded OC did not make Baltimore stop Dixon from running. Dixon rat twice and both were huge gains. (one negated by a penalty) Once OT happened you had to take a shot w/ Dixon's legs. You HAD TO!! Unbelievable that Arians chose to put Dixon in the pocket and ask him to throw an out side rout that could easily get jumped by the defenders. Bmore almost picked an earlier pass to Heath.

How many yards per carry did we average? Did the Ravens show any ability to catch Dixon? Oh I know lets just have him drop back and beat the friggen RAvens w/ his arm. unbelievable.

devilsdancefloor
11-30-2009, 12:02 AM
huh i guess dixon DID NOT run for a TD... I must have been watching old Oregon taped game. I am sure the young man STILL has butterflies and feels like crap for the turnover since it lead to the win. Im sick that we losty too BUT to continue to blame Artians is crazy! If ytou go that route then why THE HELL are you all not blaming Lebeau? After all it is in 4 out of our 5 loses that the defense crapped out on us int he 4th qtr with LEADS

Steeldude
11-30-2009, 12:03 AM
i don't necessarily have a huge problem with an OC going long on 2nd and 5, but arians does it too much. he gets too greedy.

Need4Sweed
11-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I understand the risk of DD getting hurt...but when you have the ball near mid field in OT, you do whatever you have to do to steal a W. Hey the guys played well all in all, but the game was right there for the taking and all we could do is drop DD back and allow him to throw the ball 40 yrds down field on 2 & 6...go figure. Compound that with the 3 & 6 play (should have got him to the corner for run/pass threat) and the results speak for itself. Gutty game by the good guys.

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 12:05 AM

Yea that's great thinking....... build the game plan around the fact that you are worried about hurting your QB.

What happens if Mendy gets hurt? Maybe we should only use Parker?

If only we would have used Troy a little different I'm sure he'd still be healthy.

You play the game to win....PERIOD.

Our season is now over. Thanks Arians. If Tomlin does not fire Arians and the ST's coach after this season then it's official...he has no balls or control of this team.

T.Richardson
11-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Yea that's great thinking....... build the game plan around the fact that you are worried about hurting your QB.

If only we would have used Troy a little different I'm sure he'd still be healthy.

Our season is now over. Thanks Arians. If Tomlin does not fire Arians and the ST's coach after this season then it's official...he has no balls or control of this team.

Ben has a pretty good relationship with Arians...Arians is here to stay, its not his fault the defense cant tackle.

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 12:11 AM
huh i guess dixon DID NOT run for a TD... I must have been watching old Oregon taped game. I am sure the young man STILL has butterflies and feels like crap for the turnover since it lead to the win. Im sick that we losty too BUT to continue to blame Artians is crazy! If ytou go that route then why THE HELL are you all not blaming Lebeau? After all it is in 4 out of our 5 loses that the defense crapped out on us int he 4th qtr with LEADS

Not running Dixon more would be the same as ATL not allowing Vick to run during his prime. He's clearly not a pocket QB, he clearly does not have a full grasp of the offense or the speed of the game. Arians sees Dixon in practice. The coaches should know his limitations. Dixon ran twice and picked up huge yardage. He's a play maker w/ his legs, not his arm.

We were averaging 4 yards per carry. Dixon is blazing fast. Make the Ravens stop Dixon at least once running the ball before you completely abandon the idea in OT or on that last drive in regulation. You don't think Dixon could have ran for 6 yards on 2nd and 6.???? Instead he throws a 40 yard pass down the side line. stupid.

T.Richardson
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Not running Dixon more would be the same as ATL not allowing Vick to run during his prime. He's clearly not a pocket QB, he clearly does not have a full grasp of the offense or the speed of the game. Arians sees Dixon in practice. The coaches should know his limitations. Dixon ran twice and picked up huge yardage. He's a play maker w/ his legs, not his arm.

We were averaging 4 yards per carry. Dixon is blazing fast. Make the Ravens stop Dixon at least once running the ball before you completely abandon the idea in OT or on that last drive in regulation. You don't think Dixon could have ran for 6 yards on 2nd and 6.???? Instead he throws a 40 yard pass down the side line. stupid.

Defense...cant...tackle...so...its....Arians....fa ult.....ok.......gotcha

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 12:17 AM

T, it's ALWAYS Arians' fault.

devilsdancefloor
11-30-2009, 12:19 AM

if that 40 yrd pass was a completion you'd be jumping for joy and saying it was a great play. i can agree he tend to call it too much BUT you gotta play to win where did i here that..... hmmmmm

Raw Steel
11-30-2009, 12:19 AM
Tomlin just gave a really bad excuse of why they didn't run Dixon more. Coach usually says the right things, but he didn't that time.

Also, you think someone would ask about the defense giving up another 4th quarter lead or the poor tackling, but there is Easy Ed Bouchette and Mike "Coach Grimm" Prisuta throwing up there softball questions. Pathetic.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 12:24 AM
2 Times Dixon rolls out and good things happen...what does Arians do...never calls any kind of rollout any other time.

There was yardage out there for Dixon with his legs and the Steelers didn't exploit it at all. gotta agree with ya there...all game long i kept waiting for him to take off with it when the coverage was there...never happend. arians should have told him not to be afraid to run with it if nothings open..:doh:

i would have thought more short passes to the backs and TE's would have been in the game plan as well....

Nadroj 20
11-30-2009, 12:28 AM

Not true

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
(2001–2003): Cleveland Browns (offensive coordinator)

why would we ever touch this guy

Cowher was an assistant with the Browns too. I'm sick of that stupid argument.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Our season is now over.

Does this mean you'll leave? Please say "yes."

Need4Sweed
11-30-2009, 12:31 AM
The d share in the defeat...i've posted my displeasure of the 4th & 5 play with Farrior iso'd on Ray Rice. But hey BA has been making bone head calls all yr placing the d in poor position. Example, last wk against KC 1st and goal on 8 i believe and we line up in the Shot gun, empty back field...don't think i need to add what happened after that set up, do i. And i could go on and on with the perplexing play calls...so defend him if you must, but the guy is on a one man mission to get Ben personal passing records and thats all he seems to care about...W's be damn.

DD dropping back in the pocket play after play in O.T. as if he's the second coming of Tom Brady sheeeeesh.

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 12:31 AM
People bring up the defense.... Did the defense make a few mistakes? Yea - they had some bad plays tonight...but they still held the Ravens to 17 points and created plenty of opportunities for the offense to score some points. Everyone expects perfection out of the defense while expecting nothing out of the offense.

The offense sets up our defense to fail and they do it alot.

SteelMusic
11-30-2009, 12:32 AM
Really? Funny, but people bitched ALL NIGHT that we were running too much again. Make up your goddamn minds, folks.

The thing is TIMING! It is huring us (I usually keep my mouth closed). But the team as a whole is not playing up to potential. A play here, a play there -- it's just getting old with the special teams. It's more than TDs it's also FIELD POSTITION.

our D has to give a better effort -- I think they know that. I still have faith. :chuckle:

tmacsteelerfan
11-30-2009, 12:33 AM
Why we didn't bootleg more I have no clue at all what he was thinking, it was setup in overtime for sure because they were waiting on the run and couldn't stop it.

But everybody saying they didn't want Dixon to get hurt I'm pretty sure you play to WIN the game not just keep it close and rely on the other teams mistakes. When Dixon had 3rd and shorts why we didn't give him run pass options like Titans do with Vince Young is crazy.

One more thing I noticed is whenever Dixon stopped relying on his check down receiver is when it was open, as soon as he stopped looking for Heath Miller and our backs coming off of blocks is when they were really open.

Fire Haley
11-30-2009, 12:34 AM
Dixon is not Ben - don't try and make him thow like him.

Fire Arians.

Shoes
11-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Our season is now over. .

Speak for yourself, I saw a lot of positives and prefer to dwell on them. Obviously you didn't watch Steeler football in the sixty's.

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 12:37 AM
Why does everyone ignore the fact that our offense is LOADED with talent?

If anyone thinks Arians has this offense performing at or above expectations then you are on crack.

It's laughable that some don't have an issue w/ us not using Dixon's legs more? It worked why not use again?

As for the defense....they are ranked near the top in the league. Are we 1st in the NFL?

It's too much to ask our offense to pick up a little slack? You ask for the steel curtain defense of the 70's while accepting failure from our offense.

supa_fly_steeler
11-30-2009, 12:39 AM
As for the defense....they are ranked near the top in the league. Are we 1st in the NFL?

Green Bay is now first. Congrats to them on that.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 12:40 AM
Does this mean you'll leave? Please say "yes."

perhaps you could help him find his way out...:noidea: ...he's done nothing but piss n moan since he's been here.

Hayeksheroes
11-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Ratbirds were bringing corner and safety blitzes on the edges. Dixon would have gotten creamed if he tried to run to the outside. I think he could have had some success up the middle.

The long balls were to open up the running game (back off the safeties and corners from crowding the line) and possibly get an interference call. I was not to mad about those play calls. More boot legs or play action would have helped.

Since the loss to the Chiefs, the Steelers didn't have a give away game. Arians should have let Dixon loose at the end of the 4th Quarter and in OT. I think it was an error to try to force Dixon to be in the pocket. Dixon is better on the run. What did the Steelers have to lose? The steelers were tied in a game where they should have gotten beaten simply.

BozMan
11-30-2009, 01:44 AM

Yes, the D did more to lose this game than Arians and the offense. That is pretty cut and dry, IMO.

But that shouldn't absolve some of Arians' calls from criticism.

As others have said, it's good to throw the deep ball every now and then. It's a high-risk/high-reward type of play that more often than not doesn't work. But it's good for variety and keeping the defense honest. It seemed like we went for the long bomb way too often and during odd situations, especially in the second half and OT. Why not just try a quick strike to Ward, Miller, or Holmes instead of so many deep balls? It's definitely good to be aggressive, but the aggression needs to be well-timed. Seemed like tonight it was anything but.

As others have said, it looked at times that Arians got greedy and impatient. After the Detroit game, Arians himself admitted to being too greedy. And yes, our D is playing like crap, especially in key situations late in the game. But the offense can at least try to mask this by POSSESSING the ball longer. So when you need to run some time off the clock, call a couple running plays, not 3 straight passes. When you need 20-30 yds to get into field goal range at the end of the half, don't sit on the ball.

How about some more screen passes, and not just to WRs, but also to RBs? Or what about a reverse to Wallace? Those would be good ways to counter Baltimore's aggressive D. And how about some more passes to Mendenhall out of the backfield? And, yes, how about making full use of the weapons available to you, such as a highly mobile QB, which would add another wrinkle to the offense and make it more unpredictable.

The problem with Arians is not as simple as "too much passing" or "too much running". If that was the case, we would have a relatively simple solution.

stb_steeler
11-30-2009, 02:21 AM
gotta agree with ya there...all game long i kept waiting for him to take off with it when the coverage was there...never happend. arians should have told him not to be afraid to run with it if nothings open..:doh:

i would have thought more short passes to the backs and TE's would have been in the game plan as well....

Did you see the missed opportunity for a pass to Heath in OT. Instead the pass was to a well covered wallace. He was even waving his arms, i bet he would of had 20 yards on that play. No one was even near him. I guess DD was goin with the called play or he didnt see Heath.

O Sensei
11-30-2009, 02:35 AM
I'm not gonna read all these posts and this has probably been said by someone earlier with half a braincell but why, oh why...do you have that kid throw the ball in that situation? 3rd and 5 at the fifty in overtime...snap it back to him, let him get a feel for the rush, pick a lane and take off, but under no circumstances do you let him throw.

During the course of the game there were letdowns on ST, defense...most notably...and a couple questionable playcalls on offense, but the undeniable fact that we had the ball at the fifty, five yards to go and a defense sitting back outnumbering our receivers puts the hunus for this loss squarely on BAs shoulders. I've said since day 1 here that I felt we won the SB in spite of him, I don't like his offensive scheme and I never will, I was lambasted for it, ridiculed by the 10,000 posts club of village idiots here with apparantly no lives other than his forum and yet all I can do tonight is smile. Beyond the 40/20 meltdown against cinci., beyond the abyssmal performance against KC, here was a opportunity for Mr. Arians to win me over and I'll be damned if he didn't have me for a bit, but too many dangerous pass routes, a total lack of talent utilization and that 3rd down call at the fitty brought me to my senses. Bruce Arians effing sucks at his job and if it means losing out it would be a small price to pay for the axe to fall on his borrowed time here where he never belonged in the first place. And when it does....and miss the playoffs and it surely will, praise the gods...I'll be happy to come back and ask....was it really all about player performance? Player accountability? Was it really? Or could it BE that this deity some of you fawn over like the second coming really does just effing blow???? Could it be that understanding your personel and gameplanning to their strengths accounts for more than your inflated, overindulgent egostroking,...forcing a square peg into a round hole...refusing to adapt scheme to personel rather than vice versa? Should this get any worse will it be Mike Tomlin, SB winning HC, Dick lebeau, maybe the greatest 3-4 coordinator ever, or Bruce Arians, too stupid to let an athlete do his thing, that gets the axe? Hmmmmmmmmm. :drink::thumbsup::drink:

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Did you see the missed opportunity for a pass to Heath in OT. Instead the pass was to a well covered wallace. He was even waving his arms, i bet he would of had 20 yards on that play. No one was even near him. I guess DD was goin with the called play or he didnt see Heath.
you mean the one where he came off the block and ran out to the flats on the right side all by himself ?

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 03:14 AM

This is the second post I've read about "what if Dixon ran and got hurt"? Come on guys, this is football!!!! You don't play scared and you don't play "not to get hurt". Some of the best QB's, even the scrambler types have been hurt by being in the pocket. You never know when you will get hurt...running, passing, slipping in the shower. I think you get my point.....

Galax Steeler
11-30-2009, 05:18 AM
I think they should have run him more especially in overtime to try and get us in field goal range.

steeldawg
11-30-2009, 06:25 AM
its not even running him more its rolling him out giving a run pass option also take the pressure off him and letting him see the field better

SteelStang
11-30-2009, 07:39 AM
I've been screaming about BA all year and everyone tells me 'the players have to execute.' That's bull. Last night was a perfect example of why BA constantly out-thinks himself. Players can't execute if they are constantly put in positions of failure.

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 08:19 AM
People bring up the defense.... Did the defense make a few mistakes? Yea - they had some bad plays tonight...but they still held the Ravens to 17 points and created plenty of opportunities for the offense to score some points. Everyone expects perfection out of the defense while expecting nothing out of the offense.

The offense sets up our defense to fail and they do it alot.

The defense made more than a few mistakes - were you watching the same game as I was? :doh: :banging:

The Steelers scored 17 points on the Rats D with a 3rd string QB and Kemo out which was HUGE.

Whelp - you BA haters expect perfection out of him and the O - why should any of us who can plainly see that our D has pooped the bed (and the floor) in the 4th quarter not just last night, but most of the season, not expect better?

43Hitman
11-30-2009, 08:21 AM
We had the lead with six minutes to go and couldn't hold. That's the problem, not Ariens.

plenewken
11-30-2009, 08:59 AM
The defense made more than a few mistakes - were you watching the same game as I was? :doh: :banging:

The Steelers scored 17 points on the Rats D with a 3rd string QB and Kemo out which was HUGE.

Whelp - you BA haters expect perfection out of him and the O - why should any of us who can plainly see that our D has pooped the bed (and the floor) in the 4th quarter not just last night, but most of the season, not expect better?

Stats don't lie. The Steelers are 7th in total defense and 7th in total offense in the AFC. This shows that we are basically an average team on both sides of the ball.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 10:36 AM
Average would be 16 and 16....we are in the top 3rd in both categories...not many teams can say that.

People are also forgetting that not only did Dixon have less than 2 fulls days to prepare, but the coaching staff had less than 2 days to change their gameplan (and for those saying that the gameplan should stay the same for the 3rd string QB, you gotta LOT of football learnin' to do).

Tired of all this nonsense...

steelerjim58
11-30-2009, 10:58 AM
It's been driving me nuts with all the flak the d has been taking. Do you all expect them to shut out every team. While I realize that when points are given up in the fourth quarter of close games they are magnified more than in other parts, particularly if they give up the lead. The fact is that the d has played well enough in every game with the exception of the vikings, for the Steelers to have won them all. The offense has been the biggest culprit. The d gave up 6 points last night in the second half and overtime, it's hard to ask for much more than that.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 11:36 AM
It's been driving me nuts with all the flak the d has been taking. Do you all expect them to shut out every team. While I realize that when points are given up in the fourth quarter of close games they are magnified more than in other parts, particularly if they give up the lead. The fact is that the d has played well enough in every game with the exception of the vikings, for the Steelers to have won them all. The offense has been the biggest culprit. The d gave up 6 points last night in the second half and overtime, it's hard to ask for much more than that.

Wrong. The offense is not the biggest culprit.

The defense has caved in the first Bengals game, Detroit, San Diego, Kansas City, Chicago, and now Baltimore. Big plays, long drives, big leads....doesn't matter. They played a pathetic....pathetic Chiefs offense and allowed 3 long drives.

Minus Troy, this defense is very...very average.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 11:44 AM
It's been driving me nuts with all the flak the d has been taking. Do you all expect them to shut out every team.

No, but I do expect them to prevent a 3rd-and-22 situation on the opponents' side of the 50-yard line from eventually being converted into not only a first down, but points, especially with a 17-14 lead and 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter with the offense relying on a 3rd-string signal caller.

SteelStang
11-30-2009, 12:19 PM

Don't get me wrong... I could rant on and on about the defense, but not calling more runs for DD is like having a new sportscar and doing 25 the whole time. Does BA have ANY creativity?

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 12:24 PM

The defense has caved in the first Bengals game, Detroit, San Diego, Kansas City, Chicago, and now Baltimore. Big plays, long drives, big leads....doesn't matter. They played a pathetic....pathetic Chiefs offense and allowed 3 long drives.

It's so funny that people on here actually expect our defense to never allow a long drive by an opponent. Like the offenses we play aren't professionals trying just as hard as we are to win. lol

I guess that's a good thing that the expectations on our defense are so high. The offense is allowed to be average as long as Ben puts up 300 yards passing and we score 14 points. If the defense allows a long drive during a game it's all their fault. :rofl: Does anyone realize we still have one of the best defenses in the league. Just look at how many points our defense has actually given up. Don't count the TD's our offense has given the other team, nor the 4 TD returns on ST's. Our defense has pretty much done a good job all year.

The offense was given opportunities (that were created by our big play defense) but they did not capitalize. Sure I guess if our defense would have just pitched a shut out we would have won....but I think it's OK to ask our offense to pick up the slack once in a while. 2nd - 6 yards late in the game and we are throwing deep bombs w/ a 3rd string QB who can't read zones.....that's a good idea. I bet the Ravens were expecting us to use Dixon's amazing speed so we wouldn't want to do that more then once. 2nd and 6 and driving...we're averaging 4 yards per carry....do the math. Why waste a down when the Ravens could not stop our running game? Why not run Dixon late in that game or in OT. Why are we putting the game on the arm of Dixon? That is inanity....we should not be surprised of the out come.

Our offense has not lived up to it's potential in 3 years. We are loaded w/ talent offensively and defensively...yet no one has an issue with them under performing 3 years in a row? Our Defense had more to do with those SB's then anything....but they don't get a pass...only our offense does? Makes no sense. You cannot honestly believe our offense has lived up to their potential.

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Stats don't lie. The Steelers are 7th in total defense and 7th in total offense in the AFC. This shows that we are basically an average team on both sides of the ball.

Where do you get your stats? We're not 7th in offense and defense according to NFL.com

The stats that matter are points. Take away the 8 TD's giving up by our ST's and offense and our defense is among the best in the NFL. Top 3 I believe.

Our offense is around 15th in the NFL in scoring.

plenewken
11-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Where do you get your stats? We're not 7th in offense and defense according to NFL.com

The stats that matter are points. Take away the 8 TD's giving up by our ST's and offense and our defense is among the best in the NFL. Top 3 I believe.

Our offense is around 15th in the NFL in scoring.

We are 7th in total offense and 7th in total defense in the AFC rankings.

Indo
11-30-2009, 02:20 PM
People are also forgetting that not only did Dixon have less than 2 fulls days to prepare, but the coaching staff had less than 2 days to change their gameplan (and for those saying that the gameplan should stay the same for the 3rd string QB, you gotta LOT of football learnin' to do).

Finally. A post that actually makes sense regarding the use of Dixon and his talents...

Was everyone listening to the game?
Michaels or Collinsworth (don't remember which) said that Arians told them that he went to Dixon two days before the game and said, "Pick your best 15 plays. We'll work on these and gameplan around them". Has anyone who is being critical of the play calling even considered how long it takes to get a single play down in your head?
Now. Try that as a QB. You must know what you are doing. What the backs (all of them) are doing. What the WRs are doing (sometimes FIVE of them in one play), and what the O-line is doing. For every play. It ain't easy.
Add to that the fact you must know what the DEFENSE is doing...its line; its LBs; its d-backs.
On EVERY play.

The task is monumental...it takes the Elite QBs years to learn how to do this.
We expected a guy to do it in 2 days.
And we (you people, not me) are CRITICIZING the play calling?
This ain't Pop-Warner, folks.

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 02:24 PM

Not according to NFL's official stats on their web site. Maybe it is not up to date?

mopit55
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
if we had a good offensive line it will very hard to stop big ben and mendenhall can rush better also the defense play well one thing:a good cornerback at the draft and an offensive tackle.

steelerjim58
11-30-2009, 04:19 PM

When the d is on the field they are giving up a little over 13 points a game. Against the Chiefs thay held them to a field goal after the int return to make it first and goal. Against the Chargers there was the strip of logan for a td and then for some reason not being prepared for the onside kick. Against the bengals last game take away the ko return they gave up 11 points. The first game take away the pick six they gave up 16 points. The offense has bben very up and down for a few years now. In my opinion the d has held up there side of the bargain.

Ricco Suavez
11-30-2009, 04:45 PM
It's so funny that people on here actually expect our defense to never allow a long drive by an opponent. Like the offenses we play aren't professionals trying just as hard as we are to win. lol

I guess that's a good thing that the expectations on our defense are so high. The offense is allowed to be average as long as Ben puts up 300 yards passing and we score 14 points. If the defense allows a long drive during a game it's all their fault. :rofl: Does anyone realize we still have one of the best defenses in the league. Just look at how many points our defense has actually given up. Don't count the TD's our offense has given the other team, nor the 4 TD returns on ST's. Our defense has pretty much done a good job all year.

The offense was given opportunities (that were created by our big play defense) but they did not capitalize. Sure I guess if our defense would have just pitched a shut out we would have won....but I think it's OK to ask our offense to pick up the slack once in a while. 2nd - 6 yards late in the game and we are throwing deep bombs w/ a 3rd string QB who can't read zones.....that's a good idea. I bet the Ravens were expecting us to use Dixon's amazing speed so we wouldn't want to do that more then once. 2nd and 6 and driving...we're averaging 4 yards per carry....do the math. Why waste a down when the Ravens could not stop our running game? Why not run Dixon late in that game or in OT. Why are we putting the game on the arm of Dixon? That is inanity....we should not be surprised of the out come.

Our offense has not lived up to it's potential in 3 years. We are loaded w/ talent offensively and defensively...yet no one has an issue with them under performing 3 years in a row? Our Defense had more to do with those SB's then anything....but they don't get a pass...only our offense does? Makes no sense. You cannot honestly believe our offense has lived up to their potential.

You are speaking out the side of your mouth. Our defense is playing against professionals on the other side of scrimmage, what is our offense playing against then swiss cheese. You give our defense more credit than they deserve right now while at the same time laying more blame than you should on our O. I will grant you we do not win win either SB without the D but how did we win last year . Hint it was not a defensive stand in the last quarter.:banging:

MillerMania83
11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Couldn't have said it better....BA did even come close in this game to putting this kid in the position to succeed and pull off the win (except the one TD, and golly gee, IT WORKED, lol, but don't call it again the rest of the game, right, JUST STUPID)...Especially the last drive in OT, on either 1st or 2nd down, DD goes play action, puts the ball on his hip, and BAM, he gone for at least 15-20 yrds, just right for Reed to come out to kick the winning FG, but nah, BA has him in the pocket throwing the ball like he's #7, and we all found out, HE'S NOT, and that's nothin' against #2, as I thought he did a heck of a job considering the team we were playing, the hostile stadium/fans in Baltimore, thought the kid did OK, just too bad the coaches didn't give him a better, realistic chance to be our Monday "hero" today. Dixon is not Ben - don't try and make him thow like him.

Fire Arians.

SteelCityMom
11-30-2009, 05:03 PM

In total NFL ranking we are 9th in total O (4th in AFC) and 3rd in total D (2nd in AFC). Where are you getting the stat that our defense and offense are ranked 7th?

Here are the actual stats (not that these decent overall stats are doing anything to win games) if you're interested.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/team

SteelCityMom
11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Not according to NFL's official stats on their web site. Maybe it is not up to date?

No, they are up to date because before the Ravens game we were 1st in overall defense and now we are 3rd...so they've updated the stats from the game last night. We were also higher in O ranking before last nights game too.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 05:15 PM

you can't blame lebeau because the steelers defense is #1 against the run and #3 overall. ( the defense will be #1, there is no way the jets and green bay have better defense than pittsburgh ) you also look at the track record - lebeau is soon to be a hall of famer and an architect. only way BA gets into the hall of fame is to buy a $5 ticket......comparing lebeau to BA is kind of out there, don't you think? would you agree to that?

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 05:24 PM
why would we ever touch this guy

Past offensive coordinators for Pittsburgh - Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, Ken Whisenhunt. All were considered "hot" coordinators and get hired as head coaches only after a couple of seasons. Ever wonder why BA has not gotten a single interview for a head coaching job?

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
No, but I do expect them to prevent a 3rd-and-22 situation on the opponents' side of the 50-yard line from eventually being converted into not only a first down, but points, especially with a 17-14 lead and 4 minutes left in the 4th quarter with the offense relying on a 3rd-string signal caller.

The Steelers are not 6-5 because of their "defensive problems". Just look at the message boards. Noone is complaining about our Papa Lebeau, its mostly complaints about BA. The defense is the least of our worries. Talk about nitpicking......in Hawaii, we'll call you loco loco.....

stillers4me
11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
The Steelers are not 6-5 because of their "defensive problems". Just look at the message boards. Noone is complaining about our Papa Lebeau, its mostly complaints about BA. The defense is the least of our worries. Talk about nitpicking......in Hawaii, we'll call you loco loco.....

Actually, although I believe the complaints about BA are legit, you can't possibly believe that our players on the defense, particularly the secondary, are executing to the standards of last season? I mean really, tackle somebody....anybody would be a good start.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 05:36 PM
The Steelers are not 6-5 because of their "defensive problems". Just look at the message boards. Noone is complaining about our Papa Lebeau, its mostly complaints about BA.

Yes, largely by myopic, short-sighted whiners like you who have decided to take the easy route and use BA as a scapegoat for EVERYTHING, including defensive breakdowns like the 3rd-and-22 situation I described last night.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Actually, although I believe the complaints about BA are legit, you can't possibly believe that our players on the defense, particularly the secondary, are executing to the standards of last season? I mean really, tackle somebody....anybody would be a good start.

Yes, I'll give you that. The corners missed some tackles but that's football and Ray Rice is a good player and he's been doing that all season. Overall,the defense have been playing great. It's hard to argue with a top 3 defense and it would be hard to argue if the Steelers had a top 3 offense. Opinions are like you know what, and everyone has them. But numbers are facts. I think we have been taking or defense for granted. Any other team would die for our defense, and yet, many of us are complaining about them. Is the defense perfect? No way. But so far, only two teams are statistically better than us.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM

Nonsense. The defense has been a problem all year long. When you have a corner that QB's can complete passes against at a 69% completion rate, that is a problem. When you have another corner where there is absolutely no fear of an INT if you throw it his way because he can't catch, that creates a problem. In either case, it's not the offense that gives up leads in the 4th QTR...it's the defense.

BA has issues, but our offense has only failed to produce in one of our losses when Ben played.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes, largely by myopic, short-sighted whiners like you who have decided to take the easy route and use BA as a scapegoat for EVERYTHING, including defensive breakdowns like the 3rd-and-22 situation I described last night.

Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we are "whiners". On the contrary, aren't you the one that is bitching about Lebeau and using him as an example and comparing him to BA? Now, that's short sighted and whining!!! Lebeau will go into the HOF ( probably to your chagrin ) .

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Just because we don't agree with you doesn't mean we are "whiners". On the contrary, aren't you the one that is bitching about Lebeau and using him as an example and comparing him to BA? Now, that's short sighted and whining!!! Lebeau will go into the HOF ( probably to your chagrin ) .

No, I just know how to assign blame where it belongs. You don't. Simple.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 05:54 PM
No, I just know how to assign blame where it belongs. You don't. Simple.

In your own words "you know how to assign blame where it belongs". Wow, dont you think your attitude is a bit arrogant, to say the least? Who made you God? Are you the guru? The coach? You're best buddies with Colbert?

So we all have to defer to your advice and postings? And if we don't agree with you, then in your own words, "we dont' know how to assign blame"? You ask people to leave this forum and criticize them ( even when they make a valid point ) is really pretentious of you. Thank you for enlightening all of us. Your posting shows how arrogant you are.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 05:55 PM
In your own words "you know how to assign blame where it belongs". Wow, dont you think your attitude is a bit arrogant, to say the least? Who made you God? Are you the guru? The coach? You're best buddies with Colbert?

So we all have to defer to your advice and postings? And if we don't agree with you, then in your own words, "we dont' know how to assign blame"? You ask people to leave this forum and criticize them ( even when they make a valid point ) is really pretentious of you. Thank you for enlightening all of us. Your posting shows how arrogant you are.

Excuse me mastermind, you're the one coming off like the know-it-all, so miss me with the arrogance BS, OK?

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Cowher was an assistant with the Browns too. I'm sick of that stupid argument.

Cowher coached the secondary and they were one of the best in football. ( Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnified were All-Pros )

BA's prolific, high powered offense in Cleveland....uh uhm....I mean ( reality check! ) BA's offense was horrible.

Next Fansince06?

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Cowher coached the secondary and they were one of the best in football. ( Hanford Dixon and Frank Minnified were All-Pros )

BA's prolific, high powered offense in Cleveland....uh uhm....I mean ( reality check! ) BA's offense was horrible.

Next Fansince06?

Wonder how long it took you to Google all that. :coffee:

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 06:05 PM

Me thinks YOU are the one who feels he is the biggest football expert known to mankind since you "played QB for 10 years" and are a "coach's son". Playing pee wee fooseball and then gradumuating to high school ball doesn't make your opinion any more worthy than those of us who (like you) are SPECTATORS. I didn't see fansince'76 strutting around here like a peac ock blow harding about his non-professional football career. :rolleyes:

RoethlisBURGHer
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
The one thing I hate about this forum is all the constant bitching.

Play calls that work must only be the ones that Ben calls, any that fail are ones that Arians calls.

And for the comment that they "could have just put Ben in", well that person obviously doesn't know the rules. Ben was the emergency QB, he was technically inactive. Only way he gets into the game is if Dixon and Palko both sustain injuries.

Hindsight is 20/20 people. If we run it on 2nd and 5 and Mendy fumbles....then you all would be calling it a stupid play.

If we keep running Dixon on bootlegs and he gets hurt, then it's a stupid play.

We were handcuffed on offense from the start because Dixon had thrown just one NFL pass before yesterday's game.

And if you guys are such better coaches than the guys on the Steelers staff right now, then why aren't you taking their places?

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Question: (on why they didn’t go back to the design run with Dixon)
Mike Tomlin: We did. We didn’t get the opportunity. We wanted to pick our spots, like I said earlier. The defense understood the talent, his skill set. They know that he can run, and often times they were brining multiple people off the right side of our formation. In the event that we ran boots and nakeds, they saw we ran boots several times in the game, and he had to pull up. So, we just couldn’t call it repeatedly, because they’re professionals, too, and they prepare. :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 06:36 PM
:wave:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rY0WxgSXdEE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rY0WxgSXdEE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
So, we just couldn’t call it repeatedly, because they’re professionals, too, and they prepare.

This is what frosts my azz around here. Some of you (not you MOP) honestly believe that opponents' D's don't have coaches who do their homework and prepare their units accordingly against our O. :banging: Just because you people wanted more of Dixon's scampers last night doesn't mean those plays would have worked and had they not worked, Arians would have gotten the blame for calling those plays too. With some of you, especially most of the newbs who have registered in the past couple of weeks, our coaches are damned if they do and damned if they don't and the fingerpointing is nauseating to say the least. It's beyond pitiful anymore.

Christian Snyder
11-30-2009, 06:47 PM
I wish Dixon would've ran with the ball a little more also.... He is very fast and the few times that he ran he was VERY effective. Oh well.

Our season is now over. Thanks Arians. If Tomlin does not fire Arians and the ST's coach after this season then it's official...he has no balls or control of this team. Our season is over even though we have a 6-5 record? We could (easily) go 9-7 and we'll probably go 10-6 and grab a WC spot. Remember, we went 9-7 in '05 and WE STILL WON THE SUPER BOWL. So quit your whining.:chuckle:

SKY IS FALLING!:coffee:

steelerjim58
11-30-2009, 06:56 PM
BA has issues, but our offense has only failed to produce in one of our losses when Ben played.[/QUOTE]

I'mot sure how you define "produce" concerning the offense, but 14 ,12, 20 and 24 is hardly juggernaut material. Although I would hope 24 would win most games.

xvdougl
11-30-2009, 09:28 PM
Would I have liked to see DD run the ball a bit more? Yes. Late in the game it may have been the difference even it was only marginal success wise. I think it would have had the ratbird D guessing a bit more about things.

Hindsight is 20/20 at least.

Lets give BA a little credit for letting Ben take a larger role in the O. It won us a superbowl!!

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 11:46 PM
I'mot sure how you define "produce" concerning the offense, but 14 ,12, 20 and 24 is hardly juggernaut material. Although I would hope 24 would win most games.

Never mind the team record of 5 straight games scoring at least 27 points earlier in the year.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Never mind the team record of 5 straight games scoring at least 27 points earlier in the year.

Quit it Gary - you're making too much sense. :buttkick:

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 09:25 AM
Me thinks YOU are the one who feels he is the biggest football expert known to mankind since you "played QB for 10 years" and are a "coach's son". Playing pee wee fooseball and then gradumuating to high school ball doesn't make your opinion any more worthy than those of us who (like you) are SPECTATORS. I didn't see fansince'76 strutting around here like a peac ock blow harding about his non-professional football career. :rolleyes:

Actually, that was me....he said I never played, and I told him I did.

Bubby Blister
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Dixon avoided the sack like a champ and threw it away when he needed too. A few weeks of practice as the starter, could see him develop into something really deadly. He still throws an ugly ball, but that would improve with confidence and hard work. I'm all for Big Ben resting his head the rest of the season.

Go Dixon!!!!

steelerjim58
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Quit it Gary - you're making too much sense. :buttkick:

I wasn't trying to say that the offense hasn't done some good things this year, I was only trying to point out that the d has played well enough in every game for the Steelers to have good chance of winning. While everyone wants to point to game ending drives, which is reasonable, all you can ask of a defense is that they keep the other team off of the scoreboard and they have done a very good job of that. If the colts were giving up a special teams td every week with all of the close games they have been playing how different might their record be?

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 11:32 AM
I firmly believe we have one of....if not THE most talented offense in the league. I'm talking as a whole...not anyone single player. You can't name another team with 4 elite receiving threats...along w/ a very good RB, a solid O-line, and Ben ( a two time SB winner) at the helm.

Our offense has under performed going on 3 years now. We have had flashes of greatness....the playoffs last year was a good example....but over all our offense has under performed.

The defense on the other hand has consistently ranked among the best in the NFL.

At some point you have to ask....why is our offense struggling considering the talent we have? I think that's a fair question that Tomlin needs to answer. Call me crazy but one might think the OC might have something to do with the over all performance of the offense.

As for Tomlin saying there was no opportunity to run Dixon......BS. We ran the ball something like 30 times.... we passed the ball 26 times. In Arians mind we ran way too much....but fact remains there were plenty of snaps were we could have CREATED an opportunity to run Dixon. I wonder how Tomlin knew there would be an opportunity to run Dixon when he scored that TD?

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 11:53 AM
I firmly believe we have one of....if not THE most talented offense in the league. I'm talking as a whole...not anyone single player. You can't name another team with 4 elite receiving threats...along w/ a very good RB, a solid O-line, and Ben ( a two time SB winner) at the helm.

Our offense has under performed going on 3 years now. We have had flashes of greatness....the playoffs last year was a good example....but over all our offense has under performed.

The defense on the other hand has consistently ranked among the best in the NFL.

At some point you have to ask....why is our offense struggling considering the talent we have? I think that's a fair question that Tomlin needs to answer. Call me crazy but one might think the OC might have something to do with the over all performance of the offense.

As for Tomlin saying there was no opportunity to run Dixon......BS. We ran the ball something like 30 times.... we passed the ball 26 times. In Arians mind we ran way too much....but fact remains there were plenty of snaps were we could have CREATED an opportunity to run Dixon. I wonder how Tomlin knew there would be an opportunity to run Dixon when he scored that TD?

not to be negative but 4 elite receiving threats?

Texasteel
12-01-2009, 12:02 PM

We'll have to disagree on the offense. I think the WRs have dropped to many balls, and at time have had a difficult time getting open. The OL has been playing better this year but last year was considered the joke of the NFL, and I still think breaks down to often.

If Tomlin says he was not comfortable with the opportunities he had running Dixon I will take his word over anyone here.

The defense you are talking about has given up the lead in the 4th qu. in practically every game we lost, not only letting the other team score, but score quickly.

You looking for problems with the team, look at the team not just one man.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Limas Sweed!

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM

#1 - Ward = HOF WR / SB MVP / top 10 WR in the NFL

#2 - Holmes = SB MVP / among the best in the AFC

#3 - Miller = pro bowl calliber TE / among the best TEs in the league

#4 - Wallace = arguably the best #3 WR in the NFL. / killer speed

Texasteel
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Limas Sweed!

My guess is he was thinking Miller, but nice try.

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 12:22 PM
We'll have to disagree on the offense. I think the WRs have dropped to many balls, and at time have had a difficult time getting open. The OL has been playing better this year but last year was considered the joke of the NFL, and I still think breaks down to often.

If Tomlin says he was not comfortable with the opportunities he had running Dixon I will take his word over anyone here.

The defense you are talking about has given up the lead in the 4th qu. in practically every game we lost, not only letting the other team score, but score quickly.

You looking for problems with the team, look at the team not just one man.

Take away the 8 TD's given up by our offense and ST's and we've allowed the fewest points in the league. Defensively we are ranked in the top 3. The offense does have an impact on the defense as does the STs. Put the defense in bad positions game after game and bad things will happen. Opponents will drive the down the field on you....it happens to every defense.. This is the NFL.

Is our defense perfect....no....but they are still good....good enough to win almost every game we've played so far this season. At some point the offense needs to pick up some slack. You can't ask your defense to always dominate.

Look at our offense and defense since Tomlin's regime took over. Don't look at just one or two games....look at the whole picture.

Has our defense been above, below, or at expectations?

Has our offense been above, below, or at expectations?

Has our ST's been above, below, or at expectations?

If you answer honestly I think your answers merit a discussion about Arians ability to lead this offense. We've had flashes of brilliance on offense...but I think that was during our SB run and we ran the ball more. This year we have clearly taken a different approach offensively and the results have been poor to say the least.

Our defense had an amazing season last year and probably deserves most of the credit for our success over the last 5 years. Yea it's a team sport....the offense got the job done last year...with out a doubt. But the last time I saw our offense perform above expectations for a whole season was Ben's rookie year. In 2005 I thought our offense met expectations....since then they've been below. I think that's fair to say.

Don't take my criticism as saying we are bad team.....quite the contrary. My criticisms come from the fact that I think our team should be playing better then they are. We are loaded with talent, there is no excuse to be 6-5 right now especially with the creme puff schedule we've been given.

We have the ability to run the table the rest of the way, I just have not scene anything that shows me it is going to happen. I just can't believe we are in this position that we are in.

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 02:06 PM
#1 - Ward = HOF WR / SB MVP / top 10 WR in the NFL

#2 - Holmes = SB MVP / among the best in the AFC

#3 - Miller = pro bowl calliber TE / among the best TEs in the league

#4 - Wallace = arguably the best #3 WR in the NFL. / killer speed

Wallace is elite? That's precious!

While I agree that Miller is one of the best complete TE's in the game, he is not an elite receiver.

Holmes is borderline....he is very good but I don't know about elite.

Ward is the only one that enters the discussion here.

Texasteel
12-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Take away the 8 TD's given up by our offense and ST's and we've allowed the fewest points in the league. Defensively we are ranked in the top 3. The offense does have an impact on the defense as does the STs. Put the defense in bad positions game after game and bad things will happen. Opponents will drive the down the field on you....it happens to every defense.. This is the NFL.

Is our defense perfect....no....but they are still good....good enough to win almost every game we've played so far this season. At some point the offense needs to pick up some slack. You can't ask your defense to always dominate.

Look at our offense and defense since Tomlin's regime took over. Don't look at just one or two games....look at the whole picture.

Has our defense been above, below, or at expectations?

Has our offense been above, below, or at expectations?

Has our ST's been above, below, or at expectations?

If you answer honestly I think your answers merit a discussion about Arians ability to lead this offense. We've had flashes of brilliance on offense...but I think that was during our SB run and we ran the ball more. This year we have clearly taken a different approach offensively and the results have been poor to say the least.

Our defense had an amazing season last year and probably deserves most of the credit for our success over the last 5 years. Yea it's a team sport....the offense got the job done last year...with out a doubt. But the last time I saw our offense perform above expectations for a whole season was Ben's rookie year. In 2005 I thought our offense met expectations....since then they've been below. I think that's fair to say.

Don't take my criticism as saying we are bad team.....quite the contrary. My criticisms come from the fact that I think our team should be playing better then they are. We are loaded with talent, there is no excuse to be 6-5 right now especially with the creme puff schedule we've been given.

We have the ability to run the table the rest of the way, I just have not scene anything that shows me it is going to happen. I just can't believe we are in this position that we are in.

Again we just have to disagree. Looking at points given up does not tell the story of our defense in this case. Where as an offense can put the defense in a poor position I don't think this is the case in our 4 qu breakdowns. The defense has be letting teams go almost the full length of the Field for the winning scores. Again often very quickly. It's almost as though they loose interest or concentration. I know the loss of Troy and Aaron probably has some bearing on it.

The last time I saw the offense play about expectations was in last years playoff, and that was because the OL played better than they had all year. Again the OL is playing better this year but I still think that it is subject to break down to often for my liking. Our main problem is finishing drive. A problem that has been at least complicated by ill time penalty's.

When looking at the offense you need to look at the players as well as the coaches. Has BA made mistakes, of course he has, but I don't see the God awful game plans that some are talking about.

The plan fact is that we have had the lead late in games and have given it up, often on long drives that we are not use to seeing against out defense.

I never thought you were calling this a bad team, just a team with some problem. We may differ some on what the problems are but one thing we do agree on is that we can and will win the rest of our games and go into the playoff with a head of steam that could very well take us to SB win #7

As far as the ST go's. I've got to were I just hold my breath.