PDA

View Full Version : Dungy calls out Steelers defense

Raw Steel
11-30-2009, 12:01 AM
"Your young QB gives you a lead in the 4th quarter and you can't hold it again. "

The story of the 2009 Pittsburgh Steelers.:banging:

Edman
11-30-2009, 12:04 AM
2006: Started 2-6. Finished 6-2. 8-8.

2009: Started 6-2. 0-3 in the second half of the season so far.

Reverse 2006? At this pace, I think this will be worse than 2006.

I wonder how the team lives with the fact that they have putting up some of the worst title defenses of the decade once again? Even the 2001 Ravens made the playoffs.

Eh, still sticking by them though.

Psyychoward86
11-30-2009, 12:07 AM
2006: Started 2-6. Finished 6-2. 8-8.

2009: Started 6-2. 0-3 in the second half of the season so far.

Reverse 2006? At this pace, I think this will be worse than 2006.

I wonder how the team lives with the fact that they have putting up some of the worst title defenses of the decade once again? Even the 2001 Ravens made the playoffs.

Eh, still sticking by them though.

:coffee:

FacemeIke
11-30-2009, 12:08 AM
The 3rd and 22 play where the Ravens picked up 17 was unacceptable. Our D is so beat up though. They played a month longer then any one else last year (besides the Cardinals) and we're missing Smith and Troy and Timmons has been hurt all season.

Deshea has fallen off of the face of the Earth though. He has gone from a veteran leader and a good nickle back to over the hill and a liability on the field in no time. I've always been a fan of his, but its time for him to retire and for Tomlin to replace him with Mundy in nickle formations.

Need4Sweed
11-30-2009, 12:11 AM
The 3rd and 22 play where the Ravens picked up 17 was unacceptable. Our D is so beat up though. They played a month longer then any one else last year (besides the Cardinals) and we're missing Smith and Troy and Timmons has been hurt all season.

Deshea has fallen off of the face of the Earth though. He has gone from a veteran leader and a good nickle back to over the hill and a liability on the field in no time. I've always been a fan of his, but its time for him to retire and for Tomlin to replace him with Mundy in nickle formations.

I don't understand why Farrior was on the field in the first place to get isolated covering Ray Rice. Once Rice went in motion and Farrior went with him...i knew it was over.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't understand why Farrior was on the field in the first place to get isolated covering Ray Rice. Once Rice went in motion and Farrior went with him...i knew it was over.

James Farrior is not capable of covering a back any longer. He was the one who blew the tackle against the Bengals on a 4th down play in week 3.

It's time to take him out of that role.

Gnutella
11-30-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't buy the "we played one month longer than everybody else" argument because other teams have at least defended their championships honorably this decade.

With that said, I'm glad that somebody in the media is finally pointing out that it's the defense that's ultimately letting the team down instead of Roethlisberger.

Psyychoward86
11-30-2009, 12:14 AM
James Farrior is not capable of covering a back any longer. He was the one who blew the tackle against the Bengals on a 4th down play in week 3.

and put who in for him? He's our defensive captain btw...:coffee:

tmacsteelerfan
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
I completely agree with Need4Sweed I knew they were going for Ray Rice as soon as he went in motion and saw "speedy" James Farrior match up against him

Need4Sweed
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
Could someone tell me if we were in base, nickle or dime on that 4 & 5. Something just didn't seem right when you have an obvious passing situation (coming out of a T.O. nontheless) and Farrior left in man coverage against a back who happens to be the leading receiver on the team. If possible i would have came out of that T.O. in a dime, f-it beat me with my best coverage guys on the field.

Raw Steel
11-30-2009, 12:16 AM
I know this is sacrilegious, but that play goes on LeBeau. He knows Farrior is in man on the coverage and he should know he can't handle Rice. If the Steelers are in a zone, there is a linebacker right there. He might make the first down still, but he probably gets his head knocked off. It was just a good call by the Ravens and Coach LeBeau doesn't get outsmart too often.

JEFF4i
11-30-2009, 12:18 AM
And the rushes in OT. And plenty others.

They made a big difference, but they didn't finish. Said this time and again.

BozMan
11-30-2009, 12:26 AM
Farrior is one of the players on the D with a radio in his helmet. Who else has it besides him? Taking him off the field in certain situations won't be easy. Maybe swap Farrior for Fox on passing downs? Or is he already in those packages?

supa_fly_steeler
11-30-2009, 12:30 AM
They take Casey Hampton off for Fox

BozMan
11-30-2009, 01:00 AM
Surprising to see Ryan Clark struggling, given that he is playing for a contract.

MJ5150
11-30-2009, 01:51 AM

I don't want to, but I have to agree. Farrior is by far and away my favorite Steeler. I'm going to cry like a bably when he retires. But yeah, the Ravens knew it too when he floated across the line with Rice.

I bet Flacco and Rice couldn't wait to get that ball snapped.

-Mike

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 01:53 AM

and ike taylor couldn't cover a 36 yr old receiver...is it time to shit can him too ?

Shoes
11-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Who's Dungy?

Shoes
11-30-2009, 01:55 AM
Dungy sucks, fire him :chuckle:

stb_steeler
11-30-2009, 02:40 AM
and ike taylor couldn't cover a 36 yr old receiver...is it time to shit can him too ?

OH hell lets just shit can the whole team and coach's......Can that be done?.......:rofl:

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
11-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Careful, you guys are going to be labeled "bandwagoners" or "fair weather fans" and have the Sky is Falling lolcat thrown at you.

We aren't allowed to question or criticize our team.

Rick5895
11-30-2009, 05:41 AM
The run has been good to this point, but like )& started to struggle down the stretch, the loss of Smith is huge. I would have liked to see the Steelers call a t.o when it became apparent the Rats were going for it. I , for one, am not ready to pile on Farrior for that. Way too many other lapses by our D at critical times to single our Farrior. The play before (17 yards on 3rd and forever) set it up. Coverage has been way too soft.

Rick5895
11-30-2009, 05:42 AM
Sorry I meant to say 07

solardave
11-30-2009, 06:37 AM
"Your young QB gives you a lead in the 4th quarter and you can't hold it again. "

The story of the 2009 Pittsburgh Steelers.:banging:

We miss Troy just doesn't cut it. The rest of these guys have not stepped up on a consistant basis. the D-line plays well and the secondary doesn't one week and the next it's somewhere else. We're giving games away all year.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 08:11 AM
Careful, you guys are going to be labeled "bandwagoners" or "fair weather fans" and have the Sky is Falling lolcat thrown at you.

Who should we fire/bench/cut/execute this week? :coffee:

Texasteel
11-30-2009, 08:44 AM

Funny, you have the right to say what ever you want about the team, but no one can criticize the the one doing the criticizing.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Could someone tell me if we were in base, nickle or dime on that 4 & 5. Something just didn't seem right when you have an obvious passing situation (coming out of a T.O. nontheless) and Farrior left in man coverage against a back who happens to be the leading receiver on the team. If possible i would have came out of that T.O. in a dime, f-it beat me with my best coverage guys on the field.

My guess is nickel, but will have to check it again.

The defense gave up an opening drive and a closing drive, with a couple in between where they looked anything but suffocating. I guess the loss of Troy and Aaron Smith, along with weak corner play didnt help.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 12:08 PM
3rd-and-22 for the Ravens on their own 29, 4 minutes to go and us leading 17-14, and we STILL allow them to tie the game on that possession. 'Nuff said. The D deserves to be called out on that one.

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
3rd-and-22 for the Ravens on their own 29, 4 minutes to go and us leading 17-14, and we STILL allow them to tie the game on that possession. 'Nuff said. The D deserves to be called out on that one.

I agree 100%. We did the same thing against the Cheifs, with a 3rd and 9 deep in their own end...we aren't "closing" games on the defense this season and that is the biggest difference I see this year.

Sure, we get the sacks, and even some turnovers, but we aren't getting that Townsend INT TD against the Cowboys, that Strip Fumble recovery on the final possession (although we almost did this game but the ball squirted out, after the game was tied however). We aren't getting that "Knock Out" hit that pretty much lets the other team know...stop trying.

What we are getting is 80% great game by the defense, and let downs late.

supa_fly_steeler
11-30-2009, 12:27 PM
we like losing overtime games

steelreserve
11-30-2009, 12:40 PM

Dude, you forgot the :coffee:

I guess I just don't get the whole concept of it being taboo to criticize a bad performance. Because guess what? A number of people had a BAD GAME yesterday. But point it out, try to analyze it, heck, even mention it at all ... and suddenly, OMG, you must want to cut half the starters and trade for T.O. and Michael Vick, and let's just see how good a job YOU would do as the offensive coordinator, etc., etc.

I mean, there's healthy criticism and there's pointless criticism, but the backlash to both has just become so absurd that all it does is make the ones doing it look condescending and irritate people.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Dude, you forgot the :coffee:

I guess I just don't get the whole concept of it being taboo to criticize a bad performance. Because guess what? A number of people had a BAD GAME yesterday. But point it out, try to analyze it, heck, even mention it at all ... and suddenly, OMG, you must want to cut half the starters and trade for T.O. and Michael Vick, and let's just see how good a job YOU would do as the offensive coordinator, etc., etc.

I mean, there's healthy criticism and there's pointless criticism, but the backlash to both has just become so absurd that all it does is make the ones doing it look condescending and irritate people.

What I don't get is how whatever the coaching staff (Arians in particular) does on a given week, it's ALWAYS wrong in 20/20 hindsight. Let's see, last week we were too "pass-happy" and it's OMG, Arians is such an idiot and needs to run the ball more. This week we get forced into a situation that dictates we run the ball more and all of a sudden, it's OMG, Arians is such an idiot and too conservative. Sorry, but it gets old week after week after week, especially when 98% of the "criticism" is irrational knee-jerk overreaction.

iloveben7
11-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I don't buy the "we played one month longer than everybody else" argument because other teams have at least defended their championships honorably this decade.

With that said, I'm glad that somebody in the media is finally pointing out that it's the defense that's ultimately letting the team down instead of Roethlisberger.

:applaudit:

Gnutella
11-30-2009, 01:47 PM
:applaudit:

Seriously, if we lose five games, and we have a fourth-quarter lead in four of those five games, then that's not Roethlisberger's problem. That's the defense's. Roethlisberger has done enough to put the team in a position to win, but then we don't because we surrender the lead.

By the way, anybody want to guess how many turnovers -- interceptions and fumbles -- Roethlisberger has committed in the fourth quarter this season?

Zero.

steelreserve
11-30-2009, 02:00 PM
What I don't get is how whatever the coaching staff (Arians in particular) does on a given week, it's ALWAYS wrong in 20/20 hindsight. Let's see, last week we were too "pass-happy" and it's OMG, Arians is such an idiot and needs to run the ball more. This week we get forced into a situation that dictates we run the ball more and all of a sudden, it's OMG, Arians is such an idiot and too conservative. Sorry, but it gets old week after week after week, especially when 98% of the "criticism" is irrational knee-jerk overreaction.

I don't know. I thought the playcalling has been mostly good this year, and it's been the stupid mistakes that have killed us. Last night, the playcalling sucked, though. I wasn't expecting us to come out with Dixon slinging the ball all over the field or anything, but it looked like we were basically folding our hand without even looking at the cards on half the drives. It didn't look like a strategy, so much as playing scared. The last time I can remember that was the Philly game last year.

mopit55
11-30-2009, 02:21 PM
the defense make mistakes against ravens last night but don't blame them.the special team this year is very bad because they don't return kick and punt and coverage is bad,we need a very good returner.roethlisberger don't play this game and it will be sure because the offensive line not be able to protect him at every drive so i hope an offensive tackle at the draft,colon it not a tackle.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
There is a HUGE difference between criticizing a bad performance and the complete over-the-top out-of-control idiocy many fans illustrate every time we lose.

I have criticized the defense for allowing big plays. Arians did NOT call a perfect game. The special teams still committed some big gaffes. In fact, contrary to popular belief that I'm some kind of myopic blind lemming of a fan, I figured we would lose last night when i heard DD was starting and my "Pigskin pick 'em" pick is proof positive.

I'm simply not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and start the wailing and pissing and moaning and gnashing of teeth because we lost a close game under a TON of adverse conditions. The super negative people are, IMO, most likely spoiled bandwagoners who have never dealt with loss and are poor losers.

It's a loss. There are 5 games left. All is not lost. What is gained by freaking out and blindly bashing all elements of the team? If we'd have been blown out i could see the concern, possibly, but we weren't.

We could turn things around, be 5-0 heading into the playoffs, and be a VERY dangerous team to face come January, ESPECIALLY now that we seem to be finding a running game....

iloveben7
11-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Seriously, if we lose five games, and we have a fourth-quarter lead in four of those five games, then that's not Roethlisberger's problem. That's the defense's. Roethlisberger has done enough to put the team in a position to win, but then we don't because we surrender the lead.

By the way, anybody want to guess how many turnovers -- interceptions and fumbles -- Roethlisberger has committed in the fourth quarter this season?

Zero.

exactly. It's just people are always so quick to blaming it all on the QB and not the defense because "defense wins championships."

Texasteel
11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't know. I thought the playcalling has been mostly good this year, and it's been the stupid mistakes that have killed us. Last night, the playcalling sucked, though. I wasn't expecting us to come out with Dixon slinging the ball all over the field or anything, but it looked like we were basically folding our hand without even looking at the cards on half the drives. It didn't look like a strategy, so much as playing scared. The last time I can remember that was the Philly game last year.

I thought the game plan was good. IMO the last thing you want to do is over expose a QB that has thrown 1 NFL pass under fire. I think that started showing itself in the 2nd half. I can't help but remember just a week ago all post complaining that we gave up on the run, and that was when Ben was under center. I'm not saying you did, I honestly can't remember, but you don't have to go back to far to find what I'm talking about.

steelreserve
11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
There is a HUGE difference between criticizing a bad performance and the complete over-the-top out-of-control idiocy many fans illustrate every time we lose.

I have criticized the defense for allowing big plays. Arians did NOT call a perfect game. The special teams still committed some big gaffes. In fact, contrary to popular belief that I'm some kind of myopic blind lemming of a fan, I figured we would lose last night when i heard DD was starting and my "Pigskin pick 'em" pick is proof positive.

I'm simply not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater, and start the wailing and pissing and moaning and gnashing of teeth because we lost a close game under a TON of adverse conditions. The super negative people are, IMO, most likely spoiled bandwagoners who have never dealt with loss and are poor losers.

It just seems like after a loss around here, a lot of people's first priority is berating other users for complaining too much and/or "not knowing anything about football," and the second priority is talking about what happened in the game.

Yeah, there are going to be idiots mixed in. Welcome to the Internet. If you concentrate on them, all you'll do is give yourself a seizure.

T.Richardson
11-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Steeler fans after a loss:

"Fire Arians, he sucks"

Even though the defense is the problem, I dont ever see a "fire LeBeau" thread anywhere, and the defense hasnt proven to me that they can deliver. They cant tackle, they cant cover, they cant hold leads, but its Arians fault. And then a lot fo you guys go over the edge, and start blaming everytrhing in sight. That isnt going to help the team at all.

SteelersMongol
11-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm just gonna act like I didn't read some of these posts.

Bluedust
11-30-2009, 09:00 PM
It just seems like after a loss around here, a lot of people's first priority is berating other users for complaining too much and/or "not knowing anything about football," and the second priority is talking about what happened in the game.

Yeah, there are going to be idiots mixed in. Welcome to the Internet. If you concentrate on them, all you'll do is give yourself a seizure.

Amen on this one, just because you have a realistic outlook on your team doesn't make you a bandwagoner or fairweather. :hatsoff:

Shellshock
11-30-2009, 10:55 PM
He is trying to get Dick fired so he can set up his suck buddy lovie smith with a new job.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Amen on this one, just because you have a realistic outlook on your team doesn't make you a bandwagoner or fairweather. :hatsoff:

That's just it - most of the posts that are railed against aren't realistic in the least - they're usually overly simplistic, irrational, knee-jerk overreaction. Calling for Arians' head because the D couldn't defend a 3-point lead that was built on the road against a bitter division rival using a 3rd-string QB under center with 4 minutes to go in the 4th quarter and said bitter division rival backed up on their own 29-yard line in a 3rd-and-22 situation is not realistic. It's stupid.

Gnutella
12-01-2009, 02:25 AM
exactly. It's just people are always so quick to blaming it all on the QB and not the defense because "defense wins championships."

Not only that, but people are so accustomed to talking about how "great" our defense is, and how "overrated" Roethlisberger is, that whenever the Steelers lose, people just assume it's Roethlisberger's fault.

I posted the following riddle on another football-related website:

QB A threw three TD passes and two INTs this past weekend. QB B threw three TD passes and two INTs the weekend prior. Each QB gave their respective teams the lead in the fourth quarter. However, Defense A not only preserved the lead, but added to it, while Defense B surrendered it in quick fashion. As a result, QB A is considered a "hero" while QB B is considered "overrated."

Who are QBs A and B?

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 08:23 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~buff.flyer2/mccarthy/mort.jpg

Texasteel
12-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Here's a better riddle.

A train leave the station at 7:00 am, and arrives at the the next station 20 minutes late. How long before we decide the delay was BAs fault and start screaming for his head.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 09:23 AM

That's why I make judicious use of the ignore feature.

If the poster makes valid points that are RELATIVE in scale to the loss, i'll hear them out...but this knee-jerk overreaction is lunacy...we aren't getting blown out by shit teams week after week, we are losing close ones to teams we should be beating, and there are only a few areas of concern that are causing this. Nothing that can't be fixed.

I'm NOT going to coddle stupid people, or lead credence to foolish opinions just because there are many stupid people with many stupid opinions on this board. If you don't like what I have to say, put me on ignore. If I'm too rough for the overly sensitive, the mods will let me know (and the mods have DEFINITELY let me know in the past).

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm NOT going to coddle stupid people, or lead credence to foolish opinions just because there are many stupid people with many stupid opinions on this board. If you don't like what I have to say, put me on ignore. If I'm too rough for the overly sensitive, the mods will let me know (and the mods have DEFINITELY let me know in the past).

In other words - GROW A SET. Isn't that what you're trying to say revs? :chuckle:

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 10:02 AM
In other words - GROW A SET. Isn't that what you're trying to say revs? :chuckle:

More like, if you post up a bunch of knee-jerk garbage that exposes your lack of knowledge, please be prepared for the ensuing barrage that you will be pummeled with.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 10:15 AM
More like, if you post up a bunch of knee-jerk garbage that exposes your lack of knowledge, please be prepared for the ensuing barrage that you will be pummeled with.

Exactly. Grow a set. :thumbsup:

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
The issue I have with Dungy saying this is that his defenses were notorious for stinking up the joint when Bob Sanders would not play. So, his defense was overly dependent on a safety as well.

steelreserve
12-01-2009, 12:40 PM

There's a saying that goes, "Never argue with an idiot. People won't be able to tell the difference."

That's more what goes on here after a loss. There'll be one idiot, and then 3 pages of people berating him. *BIP* -- thread over. That gets annoying, regardless of who's wrong or right.

Dino 6 Rings
12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
But Seriously...our defense needs called out after the last 2 losses and giving up big plays late in games.

Especially when it was known going into the game that without Ben, we were going to need a great effort from them to stay in this one and maybe even a score from that side of the ball. And we sure as hell didn't need to let up a long drive late to allow them to tie the freaking game. It was there for them to win, and they didn't get the job done.

Steelers>NFL
12-01-2009, 12:56 PM
The issue I have with Dungy saying this is that his defenses were notorious for stinking up the joint when Bob Sanders would not play. So, his defense was overly dependent on a safety as well.
But he never had an offense that relied on his defense. Like the Steelers do.
His offense would at least put teams away...early and often.