PDA

View Full Version : Steelers will still make the playoffs

steelerchad
11-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Don't they always.

The division is gone. Cincy's got it all but wrapped up.
I think the Steelers win at least 4 out of 5 and 10-6 will be enough provided they beat Baltimore at home. A loss to only GB would give us tie-breakers against most of the other competition for the wild card.

Merchant
11-29-2009, 11:04 PM
We're not losing the rest of the way and we will get that wildcard spot.

Have faith people

Psyychoward86
11-29-2009, 11:06 PM
with how tight the wild card race is, i think we only need 10 wins to get in. I say we can still do it. Remember the journey to Superbowl XL people! We lost 3 straight games late in the regular season, but managed to pick up an 11-5 wild card berth and went on to win it all. Sound familiar? I think so. BELIEVE :tt03:

HughC
11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't know if the division is gone or not, but regardless there is a whole lot of football left to be played before the regular season is over. And once you get in to the playoffs, anything can happen. A whole lot of 6-5 and 5-6 teams in the AFC right now.

Carolina Steelers
11-29-2009, 11:08 PM
I was thinking the same thing we should win at least 4 gms but look last week we lost to the Chiefs. So its hard to say. We got the Raiders and Browns the next 2 weeks we should win:hope: that willput us at 8-5 then well go from there

BlastFurnace
11-29-2009, 11:09 PM
with how tight the wild card race is, i think we only need 10 wins to get in. I say we can still do it. Remember the journey to Superbowl XL people! We lost 3 straight games late in the regular season, but managed to pick up an 11-5 wild card berth and went on to win it all. Sound familiar? I think so. BELIEVE :tt03:

I lost my hope for the season tonight Psycho. This is the most disappointing season I have experienced in 33 years of cheering for this team.

BlastFurnace
11-29-2009, 11:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing we should win at least 4 gms but look last week we lost to the Chiefs. So its hard to say. We got the Raiders and Browns the next 2 weeks we should win:hope: that willput us at 8-5 then well go from there

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we lose to the Raiders or to the Browns.

One thing is for sure, Green Bay's passing attack will absolutely torch William Gay.

tmacsteelerfan
11-29-2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah were fine, hopefully the Steelers decide to show up against what should be an easy win against two teams that aren't that good to get our morale up a little before the big games against Baltimore and and Miami, and we should win against Green Bay at home.

Psyychoward86
11-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I lost my hope for the season tonight Psycho. This is the most disappointing season I have experienced in 33 years of cheering for this team.

signature

Glace
11-29-2009, 11:12 PM
It's not over until it's over.

If we believe it's over...how do we expect our team to believe in themselves?

The AFC playoff picture is turning into a mess. We still have a GOOD chance.

Carolina Steelers
11-29-2009, 11:13 PM

Sorry to hear that! but I've been a fan for 23 yrs I've seen worst seasons than this one we still have a decent shot at the playoffs. I remember many seasons that after 11 gms the season was over.

HughC
11-29-2009, 11:13 PM
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if we lose to the Browns.
Blasphemy.

Should we send the Good Sammaritans over to talk you off the ledge?:tt03:

Bluedust
11-29-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm always an optimist, but the Steelers haven't shown anything to make us think they can run the table.

I mean this isn't a few game skid, we've played awful in pretty much all our games.
You can't win every year, there's nothing wrong with understanding the team is just bad this year.

BlastFurnace
11-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Blasphemy.

Should we send the Good Sammaritans over to talk you off the ledge?:tt03:

No. I live in a one-story home. :>)

Psyychoward86
11-29-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm always an optimist, but the Steelers haven't shown anything to make us think they can run the table.

I mean this isn't a few game skid, we've played awful in pretty much all our games.
You can't win every year, there's nothing wrong with understanding the team is just bad this year.
is that what you said in '05 when we went on a 3 game losing skid late in the season and then won it all?

RunWillieRun
11-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Steelers make the playoffs and I'll eat my hat, poop it out, clean it off, and eat it again.

The problems are too numerous and severe to overcome.

I'll be cheering each week for a W but this is not our year.

Shoes
11-29-2009, 11:18 PM

It's been over 40 years for me BF, I'm excited by what I see. Mendy is turning into what we thought he was capable of. Dixon is going to be the #2 QB, the O line is only going to get better and we still have a good shot at the playoffs.Hang in there :tt02::tt02:

Psyychoward86
11-29-2009, 11:19 PM
Steelers make the playoffs and I'll eat my hat, poop it out, clean it off, and eat it again.

Is that what u said in '05 when we went on a 3 game losing skid, then won it all with a wildcard berth? is that what u said last year with our invisible rungame and o-line? Is that what u said in the last two and a half minutes of the superbowl with our ears pinned back against the wall?

RunWillieRun
11-29-2009, 11:20 PM
Is that what u said in '05 when we went on a 3 game losing skid, then won it all with a wildcard berth? is that what u said last year with our invisible rungame and o-line? Is that what u said in the last two and a half minutes of the superbowl with our ears pinned back against the wall?

Completely different situations.

SteelerEmpire
11-29-2009, 11:21 PM
We're in the hunt for "the very last " playoff spot..... 6th seed comin at us....

FacemeIke
11-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Lets try and win a GD game first before we worry about the playoffs. Or as Jim Mora once said "Playoffs....don't talk about playoffs..."

Bluedust
11-29-2009, 11:22 PM
is that what you said in '05 when we went on a 3 game losing skid late in the season and then won it all?

No, because we looked good in 2005, including demolishing the Titans and Texans to start the season.

I'm not saying we WON'T, I'm just saying we have no reason to believe it because we haven't looked more than servicable in any games this year.

Steel_Bus_24
11-29-2009, 11:26 PM

ffffffing Madden Curse man

I'll cheer for them to the bitter end, but we're in the sh** deep IMO. I half expect this team to mail it in and slobber and stare at their SB rings the rest of the season.

If they want to show the same fire they had tonight and not let this loss linger we still would have to deal with injuries against teams like

Rats
GB(Who will torch our Secondary if TP isn't there)
Miami

and if there were ever a year for the Browns to beat us it would be this year

But I'll still be in front of my TV trying to send them some positive vibes:tt03:

SteelCityMan786
11-29-2009, 11:26 PM
You have to pry my terrible towel from dead hands before you ever get me to even THINK about giving up on this team.

Besides anyone remember what happened in 2005 after losing 3 straight games at the end of the late November? Hmmmm, I think I'll let the rest of that year speak for itself.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
Luckily, Ben and Troy will be returning next week. That's really our only hope now.

JEFF4i
11-29-2009, 11:27 PM
I feel like the Steelers are sleeping.

The players are there. The staff is there. The talent is there.

It's just not like it was last year. If they wake up, we make playoffs. If not,well...

Jaquila
11-29-2009, 11:31 PM
its gonna be tough but i am a believer and will always be as long as there is chance! :tt03:

stillers4me
11-29-2009, 11:33 PM
Luckily, Ben and Troy will be returning next week. That's really our only hope now.

I assume Ben will be back next week as long as the headaches are gone. But I haven't heard anything about Troy.

roopdawg
11-29-2009, 11:37 PM
I will be at the next Ravens game!! Can't wait!! Although I will get some shit this week living in New England :doh:

wcoyote12
11-29-2009, 11:39 PM
FaceMeIke is correct. We better hope we can win a game before we think about the playoffs. You can't look at any remaining game and say it's a sure win. I will continue to cheer them on but the Steelers have real problems.

Pentheon
11-29-2009, 11:53 PM
I still have faith...I think were gonna win the rest of our games. If we don't make the playoffs, I'll still be just as much of a fan, just pissed off thats all :)

We can still do it tho :tt02::tt04::tt:

steelreserve
11-30-2009, 02:12 AM
As I said in the other thread, if we don't win out, we can't bitch about not being in the playoffs.

Have you seen who we are playing? They are terrible. Our remaining opponents have a record of like 3-112. The only halfway decent teams are the Dolphins and Ravens ... and we really ought to beat the Ravens, and the Dolphins are missing like everybody due to injury.

MJ5150
11-30-2009, 02:16 AM
Don't they always.

Like in 2006? Maybe I'll feel better in the morning. But for now, I say no way.

I really shouldn't be posting when I am this upset after a loss.

-Mike

MJ5150
11-30-2009, 02:17 AM
Have you seen who we are playing? They are terrible. Our remaining opponents have a record of like 3-112. The only halfway decent teams are the Dolphins and Ravens ....

Green Bay isn't terrible.

-Mike

solardave
11-30-2009, 03:29 AM

If we continue to play sloppy like we're doing it won't matter. we will be one and done. The secondery was pourous last night. Special team are still scarey. we let them run on us to many things going wrong that need to be fixed yesterday.:mad:

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I hope the Steelers make the playoffs, but am not betting the farm on it. At this point my prognostication is we get the #19 pick in the draft next year. :banging:

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 08:08 AM
If we continue to play sloppy like we're doing it won't matter. we will be one and done. The secondery was pourous last night. Special team are still scarey. we let them run on us to many things going wrong that need to be fixed yesterday.:mad:

Well, they finally started calling the damn blocks in the back on the long returns for once. We've had at least two KRs for touchdowns against us this season which should have been called back for the same reason.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Green Bay isn't terrible.

-Mike

Either Greg Jennings or Donald Driver is going to torch William Gay all day. Ike Taylor will have his hands full as well....but it won't be with the football since he can't catch at all.

Vincent
11-30-2009, 08:36 AM

Well. That was one of the more difficult statements of conviction I've ever tried to negotiate.

I tend to agree. This team is loaded with talent. The KC game was the season snapshot. I see 98 all over again. But, as I cheered for them then, I will always.

It's been over 40 years for me BF, I'm excited by what I see. Mendy is turning into what we thought he was capable of. Dixon is going to be the #2 QB, the O line is only going to get better and we still have a good shot at the playoffs.Hang in there :tt02::tt02:

I'm with you Shoes. Same tenure. Mendy, Dennis, loads of talent. No excuse for 4 of the 5 losses.

We have seen and remember the last 40+ years. IMHO, this team has as much talent as those of the 70s. When all is said and done, we might not send 9 to the HoF, but the talent is there relative to where the rest of the league is. These guys lack the killer instinct as a team. The 70s Steelers usually beat teams they should have beaten. This year we aren't. Up til KC, this team reminded me of 77 and 07 - all the tools but something wasn't right. With KC they started to look like 98.

I hope I'm wrong. Aside from some lapses in the secondary, last night was a reason to be optimistic. Especially Mendy and Dennis. Regardless, no need to be eating no damn hats. :chuckle:

StainlessStill
11-30-2009, 08:44 AM
I can see us going undefeated for the rest of the regular season. We can MAYBE afford to lose one more, preferably an NFC team if it comes to it (GB) but I really do expect us to win out. We can do it and it has been done before. We are in a tough spot and we are now snake bitten, losing 2 in a row in OT and losing all games this season by 7 points or fewer. All games but the Bengals game were late 4th qtr collapses. (Makes me sick)

Oakland, Green Bay, Cleveland, Baltimore, Miami stand in our way. I expect us to win out, but maybe could drop at least one more. 10 will get us in, certainly 11. We've been hit hard on defense and offense (Kemo-eat you, Troy, Smith, Ben) and we should have ALL players back.

Keep faith, I believe we get in.:tt04:

plenewken
11-30-2009, 09:18 AM
IMO, the fans of a team ranked 3rd in the AFC North with an at-best 3-3 record at the end of the season have no business talking about playoffs.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 09:39 AM
IMO, the fans of a team ranked 3rd in the AFC North with an at-best 3-3 record at the end of the season have no business talking about playoffs.

So you've peered into the future and know that we will finish the last 6 at 3-3?

Please. Go away.

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM

By the way, it's impossible for them to go 3-3 as there's only 5 games remaining...but why go middle of the road. Say 0-5...or 0-6 in your case...and be done with it.

plenewken
11-30-2009, 09:44 AM
What are you talking about?
First there are only 5 games left, not 6.
Second I said a team who will finish at-best 3-3 in the AFC North. We are 1-3 today, and can only finish 3-3 if we beat the Browns and the Ravens.
Got it now?

saveus1011
11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
PLAYOFFS!? Don't talk to me about playoffs?! Playoffs!? You kiddin' me? I just hope we can win a game. Another one.

Nadroj 20
11-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Second I said a team who will finish at-best 3-3 in the AFC North. We are 1-3 today, and can only finish 3-3 if we beat the Browns and the Ravens.
Got it now?

Guys he is giving us two more wins against division teams (browns and ravens) saying we will improve our division record from 1-3 to 3-3.

I understand what your saying about 3-3 record in the AFC North plenewken, but its the overall record that matters the 3-3 division record means nothing for a wildcard spot which is still possible

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure the Steelers will make the playoffs this year. But it's certainly possible. There isn't a team on the schedule that we can't beat, and if we can get healthy, we should beat all of them and end up 11-5.

We have a couple problems on the team. Troy being out hurts. It has created a few big plays against our defense that normally wouldn't occur. Special teams still needs a lot of work. We are far from perfect, but we are NOT so heavily flawed that we can't be fixed.

This team has faced a TON of adversity this year. If they DON'T make the playofffs, you know what? We'll regroup and make a run at it again next year. '06 was a horrible year and we came back and won it all just one year later.

The Steelers organization is solid. We are still alive this year. People need to grow up and act like adults about all this...some people truly are embarrassing themselves with their childish behavior...

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Got it now?

Sorry. I apologize. I guess reading comprehension is not my strong point when I'm sleep deprived.

Guess I need more :coffee:

plenewken
11-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Guys he is giving us two more wins against division teams (browns and ravens) saying we will improve our division record from 1-3 to 3-3.

I understand what your saying about 3-3 record in the AFC North plenewken, but its the overall record that matters the 3-3 division record means nothing for a wildcard spot which is still possible

OK. I'll repeat what I wrote so that it's clear. I said the fans of a team who is 1-3 in the AFC North and will finish at best 3-3 (in the AFC North) have no business talking about playoffs (meaning at this point ).

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.
No need to apologize revefs, we're cool.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Until we're mathematically eliminated, why can't fans of the team discuss possibly making the playoffs?

Nadroj 20
11-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Until we're mathematically eliminated, why can't fans of the team discuss possibly making the playoffs?

No!!! we lost last night and the season is OVER NO PLAYOFFS!!!!! :wink02: lol

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 11:12 AM
No playoffs for you! One year!

http://www.collectinghollywood.com/LThoma1.jpg

mwittman5
11-30-2009, 11:26 AM
steelers will make the playoffs. 10-6 gets you in and I cant see anymore losses once troy comes back.
Oak- nuff said
browns- nuff said
packers- potential tough game, at home, with troy we win
ravens- we almost beat them with essentially a rookie QB (1st ever start)
dolphins- rely on the run, steelers stop the run

I can't see us losing more than 1 more game if that. get the freight train rolling

HuntingEd
11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
First off I'd like to say Hi to everyone, been reading here for a while and just now joined...

I think we still have a great shot at getting to playoffs this year. Obviously we cant loose anymore games we shouldn't (CLE OAK) and could feasibly win out. I actually wouldnt be surprised to see Pit and Bal as 1-2 in wildcard. DEN plays indy and philly so they will likely loose those two games. I think the key is beating BAL at home that will likely decide which one of us gets the wild card spot if DEN can beat either philly or Indy. I think JAX will be out of it soon, they play Hou, Indy, Mia, and NE which they could feasibly loose all 3 of 4. So I think we'll see a DEN/PIT/BAL wild card race, which makes me feel confident we'll get the 1 or 2 spot. But then how far do we go after that? Lets just hope troy gets healthy.

iloveben7
11-30-2009, 12:00 PM

:blah: :popcorn: :coffee:

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
oh god...I have to...

"PLAYOFFS! Don't talk about Playoffs! Are you kidding me?"

:rofl::toofunny::sofunny:

CanadianSteel
11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
For me I always look at the losses to help determine where the team is at.
In 2005 we went 11-5 but from what i recall each loss was to a quality team.. ie playoff caliber
(Off the top of my head in 2005 I remember losses to NE, Indy, Cincy, Jacksonville who were all play-off teams along with baltimore whi is always a tough divisonal game no matter record)

In 2007 when we made the playoss we had lossed to teams like Denver, Jets, who at the time were not very good and we phased out in the playoffs.

In 2008 we again lost to only decent teams in Philly, Giants, Indy and Tennessee.

So far this year I call bad losses to KC, Chicago, versus teams we should absolutle have beaten handily.

So all indcation is we are closer to the 2007 team than last year. Can this change absolutley as we have dealt with some injuries at key positions, and and I will keep waving my towel in support of the team.
I am a realist howevere and just have a feeling its not our year the way things have bounced... hoping the boys prove me wrong and can get things together as when we are on top of our game we can beat anyone IMO...