PDA

View Full Version : Draft Secondary First 2009?

supa_fly_steeler
11-30-2009, 12:22 AM
After that 3rd and 22, we need somebody like a new Sean Taylor...

I don't care who perferabbly a 1st round because there are some above good defensive players in this draft.

It's disgraceful the showing we are putting on without Troy, i know what a great player he is, but what happens when he retires are we ****ed for a long time?

I know we need defensive tackles, but there's plenty of great ones and i don't think were gonna lose casey next year.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 12:43 AM
actually i'm thinkin a shiney new FS wouldn't hurt either...i like clarks hits, but he's not a ballhawking playmaker at all. i'd love to have earl thomas.

devilsdancefloor
11-30-2009, 12:47 AM
taylor mays might be on our radar or even morgan burnett

supa_fly_steeler
11-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Kyle Wilson? Like QB's to 2004 to RBs to 2007/08, the 2010 class could be defined for defensive backs.

We don't need alot of needs we can draft our 3rd to Detroit for their 2nd to that we could get a DT early 2nd who fall.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 01:05 AM
taylor mays might be on our radar or even morgan burnett taylor mays sucks in coverage and he's a SS not a FS.... he's great in run support... terrible in coverage.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2009, 10:10 AM
actually i'm thinkin a shiney new FS wouldn't hurt either...i like clarks hits, but he's not a ballhawking playmaker at all. i'd love to have earl thomas.

FS Robert Johnson from Utah would look GREAT in black and gold!!!! He is a three year starter and this year he had 66 tackles a forced fumble and 5 interceptions.

SS Barry Church has been on my Wish List for a while also, he finished the season with 98 tackles, 7.5 tackles for a loss, one interception and three blocked kicks. For his career he was a three year 1st team All-Mac... and had 354 tackles 5 forced fumbles and 9 interceptions.

Latest projections show that both are predicted as 4th-5th round picks. if I had to guess they will end up being closer to late 3rd rounders

supa_fly_steeler
11-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I would prefer a coverage, we could go 3-2-6 and take casey out of the lineup and put a real good ballhawking defensive back there... we got hard hitters in polamalu and clark.

i dont care who we get i just hope it's a 1st rounder and someone that is exceptional in coverage.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
I would prefer a coverage, we could go 3-2-6 and take casey out of the lineup and put a real good ballhawking defensive back there... we got hard hitters in polamalu and clark.

i dont care who we get i just hope it's a 1st rounder and someone that is exceptional in coverage.

I think with Pittsburghs tendancy to be willing to let big name (aging) players go instead of signing them to huge contracts.....We will probably be looking at drafting a NT in the first round. Safety (at this point) is a depth issue, whereas there is a chance we go forward, after this year, without Big Snack.

I think our needs are:

1) NT.... Hoping for Terrance Cody or Dan Williams.
2) OT.....I like Jason Fox of Miami
3) Depth at Safety and LBer.......I would love for us to pick up SS Barry Church at 3A and now have been getting interested in OLB O''Brien Schofield from Wisconsin at 3B.....In a perfect world FS Robert Johnson would be available in the 4th, if not, I might wait and take a look at FS Robert Vaughn of Connecticut who I think is a good sleeper pick with great hands. If Vaughn shows speed at his workouts, he will be drafted higher than most draft boards have him right now.

I also wouldnt be surprised to see us grab an ILB for depth, with the knowledge that Farrior is getting older...ILB Micah Johnson from Kentucky is interessting, and is pegged as a 5th rounder. Even with an injury and time lost , he racked up 100 tackles.

Spaeth isnt the blocker that he was anticipated to be, and the Steelers might look for a big TE in the last couple of rounds who has better technique. I like Michael Hoomanawanui of Illinois. Dont look at his numbers this year because Illinois is a mess and he has been fighting an injury. Last year he eas a BEAST as a blocker, and showed very soft hands for the catch.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Here is an early version of what I think the draft may look like for us, based on need and talent that may be available at where we pick.
For instance...I think that we have a greater need at Safety then ILB, but the talent dropoff from third round to 4th round is less at the Safety position than it is at ILB...soooo, I think we may pick up an ILB first, knowing that there will be some good safeties on the board waiting for us.

1) Dan Williams, NT, Tennesee
2) Jason Fox, OT, Miami
3a) Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky
3b) Robert Johnson,FS, Utah
4) Barry Church, SS, Toledo
5a) Leigh Tiffin, K, Alabama
5b) Arthur Moats, OLB, James Madison
6) Nate Byham, TE, Pittsburgh
7) Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State

GeneralRobinson
12-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Here is an early version of what I think the draft may look like for us, based on need and talent that may be available at where we pick.
For instance...I think that we have a greater need at Safety then ILB, but the talent dropoff from third round to 4th round is less at the Safety position than it is at ILB...soooo, I think we may pick up an ILB first, knowing that there will be some good safeties on the board waiting for us.

1) NT Dan Williams, NT, Tennesee
2) Jason Fox, OT, Miami
3a) Micah Johnson, ILB, Kentucky
3b) Robert Johnson,FS, Utah
4) Barry Church, SS, Toledo
5a) Leigh Tiffin, K, Alabama
5b) Arthur Moats, OLB, James Madison
6) Nate Byham, TE, Pittsburgh
7) Joique Bell, RB, Wayne State

Dipping into the FCS pool. Excellent. Based on draft pick history, I feel our FO does not do enough scouting of lower level college football. Plenty of good prospects to be found. Indianapolis, Green Bay, and Philadelphia are three examples of teams that have been able to find solid players from the lower divison programs.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Dipping into the FCS pool. Excellent. Based on draft pick history, I feel our FO does not do enough scouting of lower level college football. Plenty of good prospects to be found. Indianapolis, Green Bay, and Philadelphia are three examples of teams that have been able to find solid players from the lower divison programs.

Lots of value in the lower divisions.

OLB Arthur Moats has been compared to James Harrison...Exeptionaly y quick off the ball and is hard to block....he had 90 tackles...23.5 tackles for loss...11 sacks, 1 forced fumble....1 fumble recovery for a 68 yard touchdown... 1 pass breakup and 2 blocked kicks.
He possibly will be the reciepient of the 2009 Buck Buchanan Award, given annually to the best defensive player in the FCS.

Toronto Born Steelers Fan
12-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Ryan Clark is good as gone.....I like him but who wants to be in Troy's shadow? Carter is getting older.....It only makes sense to draft a Safety. Berry? Forget him. Steelers are too good to get an early draft pick. Berry should be the first safety to go.

The best pick I see is Ras-I Dowling Virginia FS/CB

Look this guy up...Big, strong, fast, good hands....This guy is perfect.

Tomlin draft this dude!!!!!!!!

supa_fly_steeler
12-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Ryan Clark is good as gone.....I like him but who wants to be in Troy's shadow? Carter is getting older.....It only makes sense to draft a Safety. Berry? Forget him. Steelers are too good to get an early draft pick. Berry should be the first safety to go.

The best pick I see is Ras-I Dowling Virginia FS/CB

Look this guy up...Big, strong, fast, good hands....This guy is perfect.

Tomlin draft this dude!!!!!!!!

Dowling is rubbish imo (maybe it's just rivalry hate lol), Tygod Taylor toyed with him, unless Tyrod is Tygod...

If Ryan is good as gone who will replace him? Mundy?

I bet ya he is one of the first we resign, hell i wouldnt be suprised if we brought parker back for backup money (unsure but could happen)

Stephen Virgil can turn into a saftey, now he's a true beast.

jdthree
12-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Nate Allen from USF is having a great year as well and has climbed up draft charts. He could be had for a mid second rounder. Maybe this is the year we trade down and stock up on young talent instead of having to always hit a home-run with our first two picks.

Texasteel
12-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Just a few names to watch for.

Nate Allen / S. Florida
TJ Ward / Oregon
Robert Johnson / Utah
Chad Jones / LSU Jr.
Morgan Bennett / Georgia St. Jr.
Darrell Stuckey / Kansas
Justin Woodall / Alabama
Myron Rolle / Florida St.
Earl Thomas / Texas So.
Kurt Coleman / Ohio St.
Barry Church / Toledo

Ward may slide because of his injuries this year.
Rolle will probably slid a bit because he did play this year.
Earl Thomas would be my favorite if we comes out.

Of this group I think the most intriguing is Robert Johnson, and Barry Church. Both very good players, both should be there early 2nd day, where I think we will be looking at safety help.

Godfather
12-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Chad Jones / LSU Jr.

I like this one. The Dreadlocks of Doom.

As a bonus, he can pitch for the Pirates in the spring and summer.

Nadroj 20
12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I like this one. The Dreadlocks of Doom.

As a bonus, he can pitch for the Pirates in the spring and summer.

They could always use the extra help lol

supa_fly_steeler
12-06-2009, 04:41 PM
draft secondary FIRST PRIORITIES

Pi Kapp Steeler
12-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Just a few names to watch for.

Nate Allen / S. Florida
TJ Ward / Oregon
Robert Johnson / Utah
Chad Jones / LSU Jr.
Morgan Bennett / Georgia St. Jr.
Darrell Stuckey / Kansas
Justin Woodall / Alabama
Myron Rolle / Florida St.
Earl Thomas / Texas So.
Kurt Coleman / Ohio St.
Barry Church / Toledo

Ward may slide because of his injuries this year.
Rolle will probably slid a bit because he did play this year.
Earl Thomas would be my favorite if we comes out.

Of this group I think the most intriguing is Robert Johnson, and Barry Church. Both very good players, both should be there early 2nd day, where I think we will be looking at safety help.

Im a big fan of Jones so far, hoping i can see more of him before the combine/draft

MasterOfPuppets
12-06-2009, 05:21 PM
i want earl thomas ...i've seen enough of ryan clark. take away a few big hits, and you realize clark hasn't done much.

supa_fly_steeler
12-06-2009, 05:22 PM
i hope we draft secondary rounds 1,3,7

Texasteel
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM
i want earl thomas ...i've seen enough of ryan clark. take away a few big hits, and you realize clark hasn't done much.

I would love Thomas.

MasterOfPuppets
12-06-2009, 06:05 PM
I would love Thomas.
hell...the way they're playing, we might get a shot at eric berry....:noidea:

thebigeasy
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Taylor , Gay , Clark , and Townsend should be benched. Have some guts coach. You act like it's nothing more than a business, but you must light a fire under these guys. Pride and passion for the game is the key. I have been a fan much longer you coach.

Texasteel
12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Taylor , Gay , Clark , and Townsend should be benched. Have some guts coach. You act like it's nothing more than a business, but you must light a fire under these guys. Pride and passion for the game is the key. I have been a fan much longer you coach.

And just who exactly are you going to play?

Sorry guys, I shouldn't have answered that post in this thread.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-07-2009, 04:30 AM

Love both of those players...

You realize, with our track record....this means that both players will now climb the draft charts and be gone on day one!!

Aussie_steeler
12-07-2009, 05:18 AM
We keep losing and we will have a serious chance at Joe Haden CB Florida. It really could be time to invest in a shut down corner. Every time I see Revis play for the jets I only wonder what could have been.

For backup strong safety I would really like to see what Myron Rolle has to offer during workouts. A really smart player who would fit extremely well backing up Troy. Cody Grimm is a late round pick that would be a dynamite ST player and a smart backup at SS later on around the 6th or 7th. Reshad Jones out of Georgia is another SS I would look at. My real sleeper for SS is to convert Rennie Curran from Georgia. He is a bit small for OLB but he would be dynamite at SS and a ST demon. He could also play LB in times of need.

FS is the hard one for me at the moment to judge. Nate Allen would be strong consideration in the 2nd. Closely followed by Morgan Burnett. Dont really want a 230lb FS. Give me someone with range and ball hawking skills.

Didnt get to see the game today but I am guessing that the secondary got burnt again.

Steely McSmash
12-09-2009, 01:28 AM
From my perspective the front office seems to do the unexpected quite a bit. If the team continues to lose and drafts mid-pack, maybe they finally draft a good tackle?

I'd be happy drafting two safeties and letting go of Carter and Townsend. I don't think Deshea has it anymore.

SteelMember
12-09-2009, 11:18 AM
I just want to add that Burnett is taking a lot of heat for dropping that "sure" int that would have saved us, which I can somewhat agree with, but I just wanted to make sure everyone noticed the 'play" he made to get into that position. He broke that route better than the receiver and gave us a chance. For the 1st play coming in after Mundy blasted Gay, that was a great play, imho. They attacked him, and he answered.

Now, that lob TD pass is another issue, but I think he will be good. We will possibly get our first glimse Thursday.

supa_fly_steeler
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
i prefer lewis to burnett, both will get better imo. We have 3 talented young corners in our squad.

Texasteel
12-10-2009, 10:20 AM
i prefer lewis to burnett, both will get better imo. We have 3 talented young corners in our squad.

I agree with you. I think we may be fine as far as future CBs are concerned, but If a guy like Haden is sitting there when we pick, which he won't, it would be very tempting to pull the trigger on him.

lamberts-lost-tooth
12-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I agree with you. I think we may be fine as far as future CBs are concerned, but If a guy like Haden is sitting there when we pick, which he won't, it would be very tempting to pull the trigger on him.

I see few DB's in the first round (that will actually be there when we pick) that I would take over either of the first round NT's.

Texasteel
12-26-2009, 08:23 PM
With Urben Meyers leaving Florida, the chances of Major Wright coming out has to have increased. Looks to be a late 2nd round FS.

taztroy43
12-31-2009, 02:28 AM
Yes Earl Thomas will be a solid pick...but I say if he's gone by the time Steelers pick...they should go after Taylor Mays USC....i know A Lot of you may disagree but with a mentor like polamalu and a legendary defensive coordinator in Dick....i think Mays has a way higher ceiling than Thomas....the things that May lacks can be taught to him....ie...bad angles.....ect....he had a pretty good Junior season at USC....he got some interceptions...he looked pretty decent in coverage.....I don't know what happened this year in his coverage skills....he had a complete meltdown in that area!!!! But like I said before....he's a big hitter like Ryan Clark....and he has the measurables comparable to Polamalu in terms of athletecism.....He kind of reminds me of a Sean Taylor/Polamalu w/o the cover skills...but like I said before he can learn how to cover better with great coaching which we have and a great mentor to guide him(Polamalu)....After all Mays in an interview said that his two favorite safeties were Troy Polamalu and Ronnie Lott who are both from USC as well.....

taztroy43
12-31-2009, 02:34 AM

I also prefer Lewis over Burnett....Lewis is bigger more physical...and probably just as athletic...when he was coming out....he was at times compared to Ike Taylor due to his size and physicality!!!...Thats why I believe that the Steelers won't go CB in the first round or even maybe second....unless someone falls....like Haden!!!....

BlackNGold88
01-01-2010, 05:22 AM
Earl Thomas would be a great pick and fill a need. Not sure who else I would like that should be on the board around our pick. Maybe Joe Haden

AllD
01-01-2010, 08:33 AM
We need CBs who can intercept passes and change games, not just ones who can bat the ball down. Would be nice to find one that can tackle also instead of ours who spin around and chase air before they are seen rolling around on the ground.

Godfather
01-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Now that a lot of y'all have had the chance to see Chad Jones in action, wouldn't he look great in black and gold?

BlackNGold88
01-01-2010, 06:49 PM
Forgot Donovan Warren declared, he is gonna be a monster in the NFL. I would love to get him.

Texasteel
01-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Now that a lot of y'all have had the chance to see Chad Jones in action, wouldn't he look great in black and gold?

I thought he was the best of all the safeties I watched so far.