PDA

View Full Version : 3 Losses-a Comparison

Preacher
11-30-2009, 12:25 AM
Ok. Trying to get ahead of all the doom and gloom out there.

There has just been something bugging me about the last few weeks. It has felt eerily familiar. Then, I figured out why. Check out this comparison.

In 2005, the Steelers were coming off a dominant year. They looked not quite as good as in 2004, but still good enough in the first half to make the playoffs.

In 2005, just like 2009, the season started with a win against the Titans.

Then, We lost 2 of the next 4 games, just like this year.

We then went on a role, charging out to a 7-2 record. This year, we had a 6-2 record.

In November, we started dropping games. We lost to the Ravens, then the Colts, then the Bengals. This year, we started dropping games in November, literally one week earlier than last time. We have lost to the Bengals, the Chiefs, and then the Ravens.

That year, we also played the NFCN division, yes, the Bears, Packers, Vikes, and Lions.

Funny thing happened that year. We won the SB.

"Just a little bit of history repeating...?"

RunWillieRun
11-30-2009, 12:27 AM
I hope your right, Preach.

I just think the problems run too deep this year, but I'll be pulling for a W each week from here on out cause I think we'll need to run the table to get in.

Here's to hope!

Big7BenHOF
11-30-2009, 12:28 AM
I like this post man. This season does remind me of the '05 year quite a bit to be honest with ya.

Bluedust
11-30-2009, 12:34 AM
What's the team shown you this year that you believe we could win all 5 games?
I mean, I understand, positive thoughts help us sleep better at night but we've played awful all year, in 2005 we were a strong team that just hit injuries and had Bussy to emotionally lead them on.

Gnutella
11-30-2009, 12:36 AM
At least we didn't give up a defensive or special teams TD this week. YASS!!! The streak is BROKEN!!!

Steel_Bus_24
11-30-2009, 12:40 AM
we didn't drop any games to no sorry ass teams like bears and chiefs this year....In 05 it was all to contenders

I want to believe real bad that its like 05 though..........................

that fffffing Madden Curse...........in 06 it was Cowher n the fffng Head Coach game

Shoes
11-30-2009, 12:44 AM
.......many are already saying "our season is over".......sure wouldn't want to be in a foxhole with these guys. I felt good about the game tonight and we can still make the playoffs :tt02:

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Ok. Trying to get ahead of all the doom and gloom out there.

There has just been something bugging me about the last few weeks. It has felt eerily familiar. Then, I figured out why. Check out this comparison.

In 2005, the Steelers were coming off a dominant year. They looked not quite as good as in 2004, but still good enough in the first half to make the playoffs.

In 2005, just like 2009, the season started with a win against the Titans.

Then, We lost 2 of the next 4 games, just like this year.

We then went on a role, charging out to a 7-2 record. This year, we had a 6-2 record.

In November, we started dropping games. We lost to the Ravens, then the Colts, then the Bengals. This year, we started dropping games in November, literally one week earlier than last time. We have lost to the Bengals, the Chiefs, and then the Ravens.

That year, we also played the NFCN division, yes, the Bears, Packers, Vikes, and Lions.

Funny thing happened that year. We won the SB.

"Just a little bit of history repeating...?"

Although there are coincidences, I don't see it this year Preacher. All year long, the Steelers have been a step slow and bad injuries.

I just hope we can get to 10 wins. I'm not sure if we will make it or deserve a playoff spot.

MT83
11-30-2009, 12:48 AM
What's the team shown you this year that you believe we could win all 5 games?
I mean, I understand, positive thoughts help us sleep better at night but we've played awful all year, in 2005 we were a strong team that just hit injuries and had Bussy to emotionally lead them on.

They've lost their 5 games by a combined 18 points, and every loss has come without Troy Polamalu, someone who will return to action before the playoffs, as will Ben. This team has had the ball bounce away from them a couple times this season and have also been hit by the injury bug. I'm not saying we're going to the SB for sure, but this team is still solid, other than the special teams.

we didn't drop any games to no sorry ass teams like bears and chiefs this year....In 05 it was all to contenders

I want to believe real bad that its like 05 though..........................

that fffffing Madden Curse...........in 06 it was Cowher n the fffng Head Coach game

Yeah, but we were manhandled by the Colts in the regular season, and that was with the team healthy. At least this team has shown that they can play close with just about everybody (seriously, the Vikings all the way to the Chiefs).

Bluedust
11-30-2009, 12:57 AM
They've lost their 5 games by a combined 18 points, and every loss has come without Troy Polamalu, someone who will return to action before the playoffs, as will Ben. This team has had the ball bounce away from them a couple times this season and have also been hit by the injury bug. I'm not saying we're going to the SB for sure, but this team is still solid, other than the special teams.

Yeah, but we were manhandled by the Colts in the regular season, and that was with the team healthy. At least this team has shown that they can close play with just about everybody (seriously, the Vikings all the way to the Chiefs).

Being manhandled by the front-runner for the SB that year is nothing compared to going into OT with an eventual 0 - 6 Titans before Young, and losing to awful, awful teams like the Bears and the Chiefs who was utterly embarrassed today, and almost giving up every game we played. The Chargers had no reason to get that close to us.

There's nothing wrong with just admitting we're a bad team this year, you don't need to have blind fanaticism to be a real fan of any team.

That said, of COURSE we could run the table and make the playoffs, but anyone who really thinks it's a high possibility is just lying to themselves, and that isn't healthy!

MT83
11-30-2009, 01:10 AM
Being manhandled by the front-runner for the SB that year is nothing compared to going into OT with an eventual 0 - 6 Titans before Young, and losing to awful, awful teams like the Bears and the Chiefs who was utterly embarrassed today, and almost giving up every game we played. The Chargers had no reason to get that close to us.

There's nothing wrong with just admitting we're a bad team this year, you don't need to have blind fanaticism to be a real fan of any team.

That said, of COURSE we could run the table and make the playoffs, but anyone who really thinks it's a high possibility is just lying to themselves, and that isn't healthy!

They don't even need to run the table to make the playoffs. As long as the beat the Ravens and hopefully the Dolphins, they can drop at least another game and still make the playoffs. Do you really believe that two teams out of the Ravens, Broncos, and Jaguars are going to win out?

Either way, I don't know how you can be a contender when the team you know you're going to have to play on the way to the Super Bowl just whipped you. I feel much better about losing in overtime due to stupid mistakes to the Chiefs and Ravens than being dominated in every way by the team that owns home field advantage. This team beat the Vikings, and could have beat them by even more. It's the little things that are killing them right now, I can accept that more than I can seeing a team be simply better than us. I still believe that the Steelers were the better team in every single game this year, and will continue to be the rest of the regular season. Hopefully they can start to play like it consistently.

Steeldude
11-30-2009, 01:10 AM
it's possible the steelers could sweep the rest of their schedule, but i wouldn't bet my house on it.

the raiders are up next. the steelers are supposed to beat bad teams.