PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: Tomlin must fix Steelers locker room

Gnutella
11-30-2009, 01:33 AM
I couldn't have said it any better than this (http://www.postgazette.com/pg/09334/1017347-87.stm). Shame on the WRs for throwing Ben under the bus! :mad:

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 01:37 AM
I don't see this as being much different than Hines throwing a hissy fit a couple of years ago after Ben said he wanted a tall WR. Hines has always been a walking soundbite. I expect Tomlin to serve Hines a large slice of STFU the same way I have a feeling he did then.

MJ5150
11-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Blah, blah. People need something to write about. Now there is this huge schism in the locker room and the players are divided down the middle? What's next...throwing weights at each other and fist fights? Sheesh.

I'll take Hines and his honesty anyday over bland "no comments". Hines and Ben ARE friends, which is exactly why this is no big deal.

-Mike

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 01:55 AM
somebody needs to remind hines that its only a freakin game. i think its a good idea banning players from playing the following week.

eafratitpm3
11-30-2009, 02:25 AM
somebody needs to remind hines that its only a freakin game. i think its a good idea banning players from playing the following week.

I think everyone is missing the point that Hines is trying to make, it's not the fact that Ben didn't play it's the fact that they didn't give Dixon all the reps this week.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 02:40 AM
I think everyone is missing the point that Hines is trying to make, it's not the fact that Ben didn't play it's the fact that they didn't give Dixon all the reps this week.
i think you need to re read what he said...

"almost like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room" about whether quarterback Ben Roethlisberger should or should not have played.

"I've been out there dinged up. The following week, got right back out there," Ward told NBC.

"I don't think guys really worry about the future when they're playing currently in the NFL. Trust me, the players want to go out there because these games you don't get back. You're never going to get this Baltimore-Pittsburgh game back. This is a big game."

"We needed him out there. We wanted him out there."

sounds to me like he's suggesting ben shoulda sucked it up and played...:popcorn:

eafratitpm3
11-30-2009, 02:55 AM
I was talking about his comments after the game. My apologies!

Steeldude
11-30-2009, 04:04 AM
if BR felt like he couldn't play then so be it. he is the one who knows how he is feeling.

would i have played if i was in his shoes? yes, definitely

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 05:55 AM
if BR felt like he couldn't play then so be it. he is the one who knows how he is feeling.

The team neuro doctor, Joseph Maroon, didn't clear Ben to play because of the headaches he was suffering after practice this week. Ben did the only smart thing he could do - he put his health first.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Blah, blah. People need something to write about. Now there is this huge schism in the locker room and the players are divided down the middle? What's next...throwing weights at each other and fist fights? Sheesh.

I'll take Hines and his honesty anyday over bland "no comments". Hines and Ben ARE friends, which is exactly why this is no big deal.

-Mike

I don't have a problem with Ben not playing at all. If he had problems due to the concussion, the doctors did the right thing by sitting him.

That being said, you just can't sweep this under the rug with the team. This is not the first time I have heard that the locker room is not the "Band of Brothers" they were last year...and if anyone on the Steelers has room to talk about playing with injuries...it is Hines.

Also, what makes you think that Ben and Hines are friends? I know Cook said it, but it might now be all that true. Just because they are teammates, doesn't mean that they are friends. The recent article about Batch and his "discussion" with Ben about his image in the locker room indicates that Ben was not liked by some of his teammates.

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 07:19 AM
So, it sounds like Hines is being that great "team leader" again...

:popcorn:

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 07:22 AM
It's not just Hines. Doesn't anyone remember Clark's comments last week after they lost to KC. He said "I guess they will blame this loss on Troy not playing again". While not completely a flame job, there seems to be a little bit of resentment there as well. Problem is, our secondary sucks without Troy.

If Clark didn't go for the big hit every single play instead of trying to break up a pass, maybe I would see him differently. IMO, he's this teams version of Lee Flowers. Big Hitter, nothing else.

Vincent
11-30-2009, 07:43 AM
I have no issue with sitting Ben for several reasons...

1. Headaches indicate a problem. Ignoring that problem in the game we all love could end a career (Aikman, Young, etc). Ben takes too many brutal shots to take that risk, especially against the rats. With the headaches, it would have been fool hearty to start him last night.

2. Ben has been, well, less than Ben for long patches this season. He's been off the mark and not seeing open receivers. It's been evident all season, but it became glaring when Charley replaced him and threw his only pass. Dennis was throwing much better stuff for the most part last night, pic aside. Ben hasn't played like a $100M franchise QB this year.

3. IMHO, the way Ben has played of late, the rats would have destroyed us, and likely Ben's psyche for balance of the season. Kordella was a feisty QB until that 97 AFCCG when romanowski got in his face after the last pic. He wasn't the same after that. The headaches are a very timely reason to sit Ben's ass.

4. Holding out that Dennis was going to start til the last minute was a curve ball that caused the rats problems. The Ben we have seen of late wouldn't have.

Recall the talk early in the Tomlin administration about how he might weather a losing streak. We're seeing it. With 5 losses that should have been wins, Charley needing to "talk to Ben", and the receivers squawking, he has a mess on his hands. I'm not seeing leadership. I'm seeing another 1998.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 07:55 AM
2. Ben has been, well, less than Ben for long patches this season. He's been off the mark and not seeing open receivers. It's been evident all season, but it became glaring when Charley replaced him and threw his only pass.

Is that why he's completing almost 70% of his passes?

SteelMember
11-30-2009, 07:57 AM
The team neuro doctor, Joseph Maroon, didn't clear Ben to play because of the headaches he was suffering after practice this week. Ben did the only smart thing he could do - he put his health first.

Also, Ben was lobbying to play. It was Tomlin's decision to hold him out... and I agree with it.

Concussions have come to the forefront recently, and I don't think that's a bad thing concerning players safety. But we all need to remember that Ben isn't a standard case when considering head injuries. He did get a good look at the interior of a four door sedan... the hard way. His history would be enough just cause to sit him imo.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-30-2009, 07:57 AM
Gee....Ron Cook wrote an article that is designed to stir controversy and irritate at least 50% of Steeler fan. :doh: Am I really surprised??? This guy is a 1 trick pony.

Vincent
11-30-2009, 08:02 AM
Is that why he's completing almost 70% of his passes?

He is. He's a damn good QB. I want no other. But right now, he isn't "right".

70% is a function of the QB and his targets. He has some of the best targets in the league, and as many of them as any team. Yeah, they're dropping some passes, but they're catching a lot of them too.

He isn't seeing guys getting open, holding the ball too long and trying to force passes. Blah, blah, blah. The sit will do him some good.

FacemeIke
11-30-2009, 08:29 AM
Ben lobbied to play and was going to play until Tomlin told him no. After I heard that, I took Hines' comments differently and thought they were more directed to Tomlin then to Ben. Either way, Hines is wrong, a head injury is a different type of injury.

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 08:59 AM
2. Ben has been, well, less than Ben for long patches this season. He's been off the mark and not seeing open receivers. It's been evident all season, but it became glaring when Charley replaced him and threw his only pass. Dennis was throwing much better stuff for the most part last night, pic aside. Ben hasn't played like a $100M franchise QB this year.

3. IMHO, the way Ben has played of late, the rats would have destroyed us, and likely Ben's psyche for balance of the season. Kordella was a feisty QB until that 97 AFCCG when romanowski got in his face after the last pic. He wasn't the same after that. The headaches are a very timely reason to sit Ben's ass.

4. Holding out that Dennis was going to start til the last minute was a curve ball that caused the rats problems. The Ben we have seen of late wouldn't have.

You're right! Trade Ben! He's playing horribly this season. Throwing 300-400 yards and 2-3 TDs per game SUCKS! He should be throwing it for 1,000 yards and 20 TDs every week!

SteelerFanInStl
11-30-2009, 09:02 AM
Also, Ben was lobbying to play. It was Tomlin's decision to hold him out... and I agree with it.

Yep, Ben wanted to play but the final decision wasn't his.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
Yeah, the doc's said no, so Tomlin pulled him.

This was some basic miscommunication, and it's blown up into something else entirely....

And LOL at people saying "I would have played"....

Yeah........sure you would have........over the objection of the doctors AND the head coach.:blah::blah::blah:

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 09:57 AM

This was some basic miscommunication, and it's blown up into something else entirely....

Yeah........sure you would have........over the objection of the doctors AND the head coach.:blah::blah::blah:

but but they are real men...who just happen to sit behind a computer and display their manliness on a message board!

chucoblack&gold
11-30-2009, 10:30 AM

yeah right, these are problably the same people that call in sick to work because they have a hangover:chuckle:

has everyone forgetten that the Steelers are the reigning Super Bowl Champs? Of course the media is going to twist some words around and make up controveries, thats what happens when you're on top:coffee:

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 10:34 AM
but but they are real men...who just happen to sit behind a computer and display their manliness on a message board!

Hey, it works on Madden '10! :chuckle:

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Just like the Jerky Boys....

"I'll come down there and straighten shit out....and DON'T make me have to straighten YOU out, liverneck!"

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 10:43 AM

The only person who I have heard say that they would have played is Hines. Who else has said that?

The Steelers made the right choice with Ben. Hines needs to understand that.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
The only person who I have heard say that they would have played is Hines. Who else has said that?

The Steelers made the right choice with Ben. Hines needs to understand that.

I'm talking about posters on this board....

smokin3000gt
11-30-2009, 10:46 AM

Easy to make a comment like that from the sofa.

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 10:54 AM
Easy to make a comment like that from the sofa.

easy now, he might have been in his recliner. At least give'em the benefit of the doubt.
:chuckle:

smokin3000gt
11-30-2009, 11:05 AM
easy now, he might have been in his recliner. At least give'em the benefit of the doubt.

I have shamed myself, and my family :uhh:

iloveben7
11-30-2009, 11:50 AM
I have no issue with sitting Ben for several reasons...

1. Headaches indicate a problem. Ignoring that problem in the game we all love could end a career (Aikman, Young, etc). Ben takes too many brutal shots to take that risk, especially against the rats. With the headaches, it would have been fool hearty to start him last night.

Recall the talk early in the Tomlin administration about how he might weather a losing streak. We're seeing it. With 5 losses that should have been wins, Charley needing to "talk to Ben", and the receivers squawking, he has a mess on his hands. I'm not seeing leadership. I'm seeing another 1998.

Wow you must not be watching the same Ben I have been watching this season. And it's Charlie, and him talking to Ben was before the 2008 season not this one.

iloveben7
11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
He is. He's a damn good QB. I want no other. But right now, he isn't "right".

70% is a function of the QB and his targets. He has some of the best targets in the league, and as many of them as any team. Yeah, they're dropping some passes, but they're catching a lot of them too.

He isn't seeing guys getting open, holding the ball too long and trying to force passes. Blah, blah, blah. The sit will do him some good.

well we haven't heard that one before :doh:

SteelCityMom
11-30-2009, 12:48 PM
sounds to me like he's suggesting ben shoulda sucked it up and played...:popcorn:

Ben DID want to suck it up and play. During a sideline report last night, Kremer said that Ben begged to play in the game last night, but was told no by Tomlin.

smokin3000gt
11-30-2009, 12:57 PM
Tomlin was going to let Ben play, but I called in on the red phone and advised against it. Everyone can direct their BR and MT hate towards me.

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Tomlin was going to let Ben play, but I called in on the red phone and advised against it. Everyone can direct their BR and MT hate towards me.

Best post EVER. :tt02:

MJ5150
11-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Also, what makes you think that Ben and Hines are friends?

Because the internetz said they are.

-Mike