PDA

View Full Version : Steelers-Ravens: Arians Tries To Fit Square Peg Into Round Hole

mesaSteeler
11-30-2009, 06:41 AM
Steelers-Ravens: Arians Tries To Fit Square Peg Into Round Hole
Lee Heisler
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/299699-steelers-vs-ravens-arians-tries-to-fit-square-peg-into-round-hole
Correspondent Written on November 30, 2009

BALTIMORE - NOVEMBER 29: Dennis Dixon #2 of the Pittsburgh Steelers hands off against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium on November 29, 2009 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Larry French/Getty Images) Larry French/Getty Images

Well, the Steelers gave the Ravens a better game than most people thought they would.

The defense made a few big plays, yet gave up a few big plays. The worst part was, once again, Bruce Arians and his play-calling. Several calls puzzled me, but what else would you expect from Arians?

The thing that upset me the most was that Arians tried to make Dennis Dixon into a pocket-passer. The Ravens are a tough enough defense to go up against, but even tougher when your offensive coordinator tries to make you into something that you're not.

Why didn't Arians use some more moving pockets and bootlegs to give Dixon a pass/run option, enabling him to use his athletic ability? The one time that they did it, it resulted in a big play touchdown.

Arians makes the players fit into his system, instead of forming his offense around the strengths of the players. That is a sign of a poor coach. All Arians had to do was take a look at how the Titans changed their offense while transitioning from Kerry Collins to Vince Young.

Granted the Steelers didn't have a whole week knowing that Dixon was going to be the QB, but "good" coaches should always be prepared and have their teams prepared.

There should have been an offensive package put in to utilize Dixon's strengths "just in case," but the Steelers didn't.

Thus far this season Arians has stuck with the empty backfield set that has failed much, much more than it has succeeded. It's really done nothing but hurt the Steelers and their franchise QB.

Arians has made the Steelers a one-dimensional team numerous times this season by becoming pass happy. He's made poor play-calls in the redzone or short yardage situations all season, which takes points off the board.

He's become enamored with calling the long pass, even when that's what teams are protecting against. He refuses to max protect when needed, see the games against the Bengals this year and the game against the Eagles last season.

And tonight he refused to maximize Dixon's talents by using rollouts, moving pockets, or any plays with pass/run options.

It's to the point now where I'm losing respect for Mike Tomlin. He has to step in and do what's best for the team, even if it means stepping on peoples toes.

If Tomlin continues to stand by and do nothing but talk and cut fringe players on the roster I've got one word for you...spineless !

Fire Haley
11-30-2009, 07:07 AM
We are the Texans - playing almost good enough to win.

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 07:09 AM
:coffee:

Next.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 07:12 AM
The weekly "Arians is a retard" blog right on cue.

Texasteel
11-30-2009, 07:18 AM
The weekly "Arians is a retard" blog right on cue.

Seems good writers are the hardest things to find in football.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 07:20 AM
Seems good writers are the hardest things to find in football.

Especially when writing for a "publication" whose only qualifications to write for them are a computer and an Internet connection.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 07:25 AM
The criticism of Arians is warranted this morning. The writer of the article is correct. Two rollouts, two touchdowns. Well that worked....better not do that again.

El-Gonzo Jackson
11-30-2009, 07:55 AM

"with the 19th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft ....the Pittsburgh Steelers select..."

Fire Haley
11-30-2009, 07:59 AM
"with the 19th pick in the 2010 NFL Draft ....the Pittsburgh Steelers select..."

Tim Tebow QB, FL

stlrtruck
11-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Worse yet, from the 10 minute mark through the rest of the game it seemed that the Steelers were playing not to lose the game. And that's a shame considering the talent that was on the field.

Fire Haley
11-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Playing for a tie, on the road, with a rookie QB, would not have been the worst thing.
Let THEM make the mistakes - any tie would probalby have us in the playoffs.

Unfortunately, you'd have to trust your defense to stop somebody and that's the part that failed.

Edman
11-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Well, that's the offensive idea of Bruce Arians on bad days.

Find something that works then stop doing it.

Rick5895
11-30-2009, 09:06 AM
I agree with the writer, The coaching staff should have made better use of Dixon's abilities. However, there are some bigger concerns for this team right now. We have defensive players quetioning the play calls on O. Offensive players questioning our franchise QB. The locjker room appears fractured, Tomlin et al need to stop this bleeding.

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I'm getting really sick of Arians. While you can't blame yesterday's loss SOLELY on him - yes, there were a lot of missed opportunities offensively, but what really lost the game for us was the defense completely falling on its face in that 4th down play - he is very predictable and he did shoot himself in the foot by having Dixon attempt that many deep throws late in the game. They should have had him run at least a few more times late in the game. The two times that he did, he was stellar... one was for a TD and the other might have set up a TD if we it weren't for a penalty.

I agree, Arians didn't let Dixon play to his strengths. And while I understand that you don't want to let your QB run too much, when you have a QB that's THAT fast against a bunch of rapidly aging Ravens defenders, I think you could have had a lot more success letting him cut loose.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 09:28 AM
This is also pretty stupid....

We took a QB who had previously thrown ONE NFL PASS with one day of prep on the road against a fully healthy Rats team who hate us worse than any other team in the NFL with our best defensive player on the bench and it took them deep into OT AND an INT from that QB for them to wiggle out out a win and all the "fans" here can do is bitch?

Really?

Grow up.

I'm saddened, but mostly just embarrassed by, the childish, selfish and ignorant behavior of many of the posters on this board...

Steel_12
11-30-2009, 09:48 AM
This is also pretty stupid....

We took a QB who had previously thrown ONE NFL PASS with one day of prep on the road against a fully healthy Rats team who hate us worse than any other team in the NFL with our best defensive player on the bench and it took them deep into OT AND an INT from that QB for them to wiggle out out a win and all the "fans" here can do is bitch?

Really?

Grow up.

I'm saddened, but mostly just embarrassed by, the childish, selfish and ignorant behavior of many of the posters on this board...

You cant be serious! If the coach is not happy with a moral victory, then why should the fans be? Its not childish to be upset about a loss that couldve been a win had the playcalling been different. im really trying to understand the folks that are happy with the team no matter what. How can it not be frustrating to you as well?

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 09:57 AM
You cant be serious! If the coach is not happy with a moral victory, then why should the fans be? Its not childish to be upset about a loss that couldve been a win had the playcalling been different. im really trying to understand the folks that are happy with the team no matter what. How can it not be frustrating to you as well?

The playcalling did NOT lose the game....only someone with a very rudimentary and elementary understanding of football would fob the loss off on that.

We had defensive breakdowns and gave up too many big plays. That, and Dixon's pick were the reasons we lost the game.

I'm unhappy as Hell that we lost...but this all-or-nothing-black-and-white mentality is useless...it's basically stating that a 70-0 loss is just as bad as what happened last night.

PalmerSteel
11-30-2009, 10:02 AM
name one team that has had as many key injuries as us and has a better or same record as us? i know, you cant. we will take our lumps and move on. lets just encourage everyone to step up their game more to make up for it then the playcalling and locker room will miracleously be "fixed".

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 10:17 AM
The playcalling did NOT lose the game....only someone with a very rudimentary and elementary understanding of football would fob the loss off on that.

We had defensive breakdowns and gave up too many big plays. That, and Dixon's pick were the reasons we lost the game.

I'm unhappy as Hell that we lost...but this all-or-nothing-black-and-white mentality is useless...it's basically stating that a 70-0 loss is just as bad as what happened last night.

Perhaps the playcalling didn't lose the game, but certainly the playcalling did not play into the strengths of what Dixon can do.

I'm listening to the Stan & Guy show right now and they can even see that. Dixon's strengths are rollouts and using his legs to loosen up the defense.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 10:21 AM
Perhaps the playcalling didn't lose the game, but certainly the playcalling did not play into the strengths of what Dixon can do.

I'm listening to the Stan & Guy show right now and they can even see that. Dixon's strengths are rollouts and using his legs to loosen up the defense.

Maybe Stan & Guy should apply for the job, then. It's easy to be a Monday morning OC with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, because you're never wrong that way.

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I don't think that anyone is saying that the playcalling was the deciding factor in the loss, but it certainly was A factor. We had too many 3 and outs late in the game to say that it wasn't. Like I said, the defense blew it at several key points (mainly the first Ravens TD and the 4th down play late in the game) and that was the true reason for the loss. But you also can't expect the other team not to score points.

Offensively we did some great things... but we also missed some opportunities. Is Arians the only one at fault for that? No, but I do think that he shoulders more of the blame than Dixon for some of those incomplete deep throws.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm going to say this one more time and drop it.

We could NOT have Dixon out there running the ball 20 times. If he got hurt, we'd be EFFED. Palko can hand the ball off three times and we punt. The need to win the game had to be balanced with the need to protect DD a little bit. It was an extreme circumstance and NOT how the coaches would normally play it, but Palko had been on the team for TWO DAYS.

Besides, DD did a fine job as a drop-back passer, all things being equal.

Now, if the situation is the same next week, I think we can run him some more, as Palko will at least have his head wrapped around SOME portion of our offense. But to suggest that the coaches should have played with reckless abandon and thrown all caution to the wind to win at ANY cost is not a realistic attitude.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm going to say this one more time and drop it.

We could NOT have Dixon out there running the ball 20 times. If he got hurt, we'd be EFFED. Palko can hand the ball off three times and we punt. The need to win the game had to be balanced with the need to protect DD a little bit. It was an extreme circumstance and NOT how the coaches would normally play it, but Palko had been on the team for TWO DAYS.

Besides, DD did a fine job as a drop-back passer, all things being equal.

Now, if the situation is the same next week, I think we can run him some more, as Palko will at least have his head wrapped around SOME portion of our offense. But to suggest that the coaches should have played with reckless abandon and thrown all caution to the wind to win at ANY cost is not a realistic attitude.

No one is saying to run him 20 times, but how about more rollouts, perhaps run him more than twice since that seemed to open things up for us on offense. That's all some of us are wondering.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't know, I'm already over it...

On to the Raiders....

SteelMember
11-30-2009, 10:48 AM
I don't want to add fuel to this fire because I believe BA usually does a pretty good job, but there were a few times I scratched my head.

First, with about 1:45 to go in t he first half, we were ultra conservative. Willing to go into the half down by 7 without even a try at a 2 minute drill. Two runs up the middle with no look of urgency makes me believe this was the coaches decision. Granted, Dixon was behind on the prep work, and may not have enough exerience with the no huddle, but to not even try... That could have really helped him out later in the game.

Next, this is the second week in a row that BA has called for the deep ball and tried to win on a single play. It's almost like he calls it in hopes of getting the pass interference. I guess to be fair, the ravens did the same exact thing.

Dixon was almost night and day from the 1st half to the 2nd. He missed quite a few opportunities with bad passes, but for the most part I thought he did pretty well given the situation.

:twocents:

steelreserve
11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
OMG, someone criticized Arians after a loss. Those stupid fans. "OMG sky is falling, sky is falling." They must not know anything about football.

Seriously, the playcalling didn't cost us the game by itself, but do you actually think it helped? We basically abandoned half a dozen possessions last night just by being so goddamn ultra-conservative. I understand wanting to be careful, but when you take it to that extreme ... well, that strategy basically guaranteed that every time you got stopped for no gain on first-and-10, or every time there was an offensive holding penalty, the drive was over.

I'm not saying this out of some inherent dislike for Arians; I don't think he's terrific, but usually he's at least adequate. But last night was completely uninspired and a perfect example of how playing not to lose can hurt you. He's not going to call 16 great games a year, and guess what? This was one of the other ones.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 11:34 AM
First, with about 1:45 to go in t he first half, we were ultra conservative. Willing to go into the half down by 7 without even a try at a 2 minute drill. Two runs up the middle with no look of urgency makes me believe this was the coaches decision. Granted, Dixon was behind on the prep work, and may not have enough exerience with the no huddle, but to not even try... That could have really helped him out later in the game.

See the INT in OT. I'd rather we went into the locker room trailing 14-7 instead of 17-7 or 21-7, especially with the Ravens getting the 2nd half kickoff. If we would have turtled up like that with Ben playing, then yeah, I would've been pissed, but in this situation, I had no problem with it.

SteelMember
11-30-2009, 12:07 PM
See the INT in OT. I'd rather we went into the locker room trailing 14-7 instead of 17-7 or 21-7, especially with the Ravens getting the 2nd half kickoff. If we would have turtled up like that with Ben playing, then yeah, I would've been pissed, but in this situation, I had no problem with it.

I can understand that kind of thinking to some point, but showing him a basic "no confidence" vote won't help the kids growth one bit. Some may say that those situations can only be learned in a game... not on the practice field.

I think he came out in the 2nd half even more nervous because of that decision.

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Wow! tis all I got to say...

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 01:56 PM
That is NOT a vote of no-confidence. It's just solid football. You do NOT tempt fate, on the road, with a new QB, only trailing by 7 points.

It was the correct call. If it wasn't, why didn't ONE single analyst or commentator say anything other than "correct call"? Why wasn;t there some kind of post-game backlash?

The ONLY people who bitched about that are fans...and that's simply proof positive why fans are only fans, and not actually in charge of anything....

SteelMember
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
So, now I have to depend on what an analyst or commentator says to have an opinion?

Because everything else they say is so wise. :rolleyes:

GIve me a break.

So just to be clear, the list is now...

Revs
front office
analyst
commentator

:rulez:

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
What makes guys like Vince Young, Michael Vick, and other scrambling quarterbacks so unique is their ability to make things happen OUTSIDE of the pocket. It's the worst fears of defensive coordinators when these guys get outside the edge......the other teams WANTS them to stay inside the pocket. I just can't figure out why BA didn't design more plays for Dixon on an option type of rollout plays. If you watched Dixon at Oregon, he was electrifying. The thing is, we played into Baltimore's hands. If you noticed, towards the end of the game, they quit blitzing him and just sat back in a zone. It was like they were almost waiting for him to throw a pick. Why did BA keep doing something that didn't work and yet, we had one great run play and we never did that again?!

Off the top of my head, there has been a long list of Offensive Coordinators from the Steelers becoming Head Coaches in the NFL.......Chan Gailey, Mike Mularkey, Ken Whisenhunt....they all got offered jobs and left only after a couple of years.

BA has never gotten an inteview for a head coaching position........I guess I know why!!!!

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
So, now I have to depend on what an analyst or commentator says to have an opinion?

Because everything else they say is so wise. :rolleyes:

GIve me a break.

So just to be clear, the list is now...

Revs
front office
analyst
commentator

:rulez:

Whine much?

You forgot one thing....TOMLIN MADE THAT CALL....hate on him for awhile and skip bashing posters simply because they are telling you things you don't quite comprehend.....it's not MY fault you don't understand how the game of football is played.

SteelMember
11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Wah.

Tomlin made the call after 40 seconds of trying to get a play in. Time was wasted... then the call.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Wah.

Tomlin made the call after 40 seconds of trying to get a play in. Time was wasted... then the call.

Join the others on my ignore list....NOT reading your over-the-top uninformed negative posts will make my Holidays oh so much brighter....

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I just can't figure out why BA didn't design more plays for Dixon on an option type of rollout plays.

Just a guess, but maybe because he had less than 48 hours to do so, due to the fact that Dixon starting was kind of a last minute thing?

SteelMember
11-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Yeah. The Ignore list threat.

because I had an opinion about time management.

You are a one trick pony.

Your analysis is no more "informed" than most. Go back to your cars salesmen for some new info.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=revefsreleets;715428]I'm going to say this one more time and drop it.

We could NOT have Dixon out there running the ball 20 times. If he got hurt, we'd be EFFED.

That's ABSURD!!!! Noone is saying we should run Dixon 30+ times a game and have the defense lynch him without any protection. Roll him out, give him an option to run or pitch it to another back or throw the ball out of bounds. THIS IS FOOTBALL!!!!! Injuries are part of the game. Do you think BA will sit down with Big Ben next week and say, "Ben, you are the best outside of the pocket, but since Charlie Batch is hurt, don't roll out as much?!" Come on Rev, use some common sense!!!!

You have obviously never played any type of sports. You never play the game "not go get hurt". Every athlete knows not to think too much and let their natural talents take over. Once you start to think "how not to get hurt", you're done.

Dixon's strength is his speed and elusiveness and ability to run in the open field. If he doesn't do that, then he's not a special player.....as the same way VY, McNabb and Big Ben makes them special, is their ability to make things happen outside of the pocket.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
[QUOTE=revefsreleets;715428]I'm going to say this one more time and drop it.

We could NOT have Dixon out there running the ball 20 times. If he got hurt, we'd be EFFED.

That's ABSURD!!!! Noone is saying we should run Dixon 30+ times a game and have the defense lynch him without any protection. Roll him out, give him an option to run or pitch it to another back or throw the ball out of bounds. THIS IS FOOTBALL!!!!! Injuries are part of the game. Do you think BA will sit down with Big Ben next week and say, "Ben, you are the best outside of the pocket, but since Charlie Batch is hurt, don't roll out as much?!" Come on Rev, use some common sense!!!!

You have obviously never played any type of sports. You never play the game "not go get hurt". Every athlete knows not to think too much and let their natural talents take over. Once you start to think "how not to get hurt", you're done.

Dixon's strength is his speed and elusiveness and ability to run in the open field. If he doesn't do that, then he's not a special player.....as the same way VY, McNabb and Big Ben makes them special, is their ability to make things happen outside of the pocket.

I played QB for over ten years, and am a coaches son, so the sport was ingrained in my head from the time i was born.

FAIL.

This decision was on the coaches part...not Dennis Dixon's.

CargoJon
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Well, that's the offensive idea of Bruce Arians on bad days.

Find something that works then stop doing it.
+1 rep for you - hit the nail right on the head.

Need to replace BA during the offseason I'd say.

Oh, and draft CB with our first round pick. William Gay is making me sick.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Join the others on my ignore list....NOT reading your over-the-top uninformed negative posts will make my Holidays oh so much brighter....

Why so much hate? If anyone disagrees with you, why do you attack them? Do you think you know more than EVERYONE on this forum? Let me guess - is it because you have so many more posts than others that you have this feeling of entitlement? So if someone agrees with you, they are intelligent and good fans? But if anyone "had the nerves" to disagree with someone with such intelligence like yourself, then they are so foolish and don't deserve to be fans?

When you criticize others, take a look in the mirror. It's such a classic example of the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!

Indo
11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Just a guess, but maybe because he had less than 48 hours to do so, due to the fact that Dixon starting was kind of a last minute thing?

DING DING DING DING!!

We have a winner, folks

and since I'm lazy, I'll only reference this 'cause I don't feel like typing it all again

Was everyone listening to the game?
Michaels or Collinsworth (don't remember which) said that Arians told them that he went to Dixon two days before the game and said, "Pick your best 15 plays. We'll work on these and gameplan around them". Has anyone who is being critical of the play calling even considered how long it takes to get a single play down in your head?
Now. Try that as a QB. You must know what you are doing. What the backs (all of them) are doing. What the WRs are doing (sometimes FIVE of them in one play), and what the O-line is doing. For every play. It ain't easy.
Add to that the fact you must know what the DEFENSE is doing...its line; its LBs; its d-backs.
On EVERY play.

The task is monumental...it takes the Elite QBs years to learn how to do this.
We expected a guy to do it in 2 days.
And we (you people, not me) are CRITICIZING the play calling?
This ain't Pop-Warner, folks.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 02:56 PM

You're wrong. Dead wrong. The coaching staff knew all week that Dixon would start but they didnt tell the media or Dixon until the last minute. So what's your other guess?

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Why so much hate? If anyone disagrees with you, why do you attack them? Do you think you know more than EVERYONE on this forum? Let me guess - is it because you have so many more posts than others that you have this feeling of entitlement? So if someone agrees with you, they are intelligent and good fans? But if anyone "had the nerves" to disagree with someone with such intelligence like yourself, then they are so foolish and don't deserve to be fans?

When you criticize others, take a look in the mirror. It's such a classic example of the pot calling the kettle black!!!!!!

Because the Call in question was an absolute no-brainer. That means, if you HAVE a brain, you run the clock out at the end of the half, and if you don't, or play too much Madden, you take stupid shots down the field and wind up with Ed Reed in a pick 6.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 02:58 PM
You're wrong. Dead wrong. The coaching staff knew all week that Dixon would start but they didnt tell the media or Dixon until the last minute. So what's your other guess?

Oh, OK, so you knew that they knew this all week as a fact, huh? Sorry, I didn't realize I was talking to an insider here. My bad, coach.

Nadroj 20
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM

Unless you were in the locker room and heard this yourself i wouldnt be making such bold claims..

revefsreleets

And that's why Ward said what he did? Why Ben took all the first team snaps? This was all some ruse, and the coaches trust DD SO much that they let him stay in a back-up role at practice all week and DID NOT sign Palko until Thursday on purpose?

Really?

Jesus, where do you guys COME FROM?

CargoJon
I'm sorry, but isn't part of being a 3rd string QB knowing the playbook? Just because you might not get a lot of reps doesn't mean you don't know the plays.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry, but isn't part of being a 3rd string QB knowing the playbook? Just because you might not get a lot of reps doesn't mean you don't know the plays.

Nobody said DIXON didn't know the plays.

But if Dixon went down, how many plays do you think Tyler Palko knew, being on the team a whole two days prior?

The coaches HAVE to be mindful of such things....

Indo

Interesting.

By all accounts, Ben was going to start...he had great practices and was feeling good until he began to develop headaches after practice-----exercise-induced headaches---which are a post-concussion symptom and should not be taken lightly. This, according to everything I have heard or read, happened Weds. Then Thurs., then again on Friday. Since they were seeing a trend they consulted the Neurosurgeon who recommended (on Friday) that Ben sit out.

Ben apparently begged Tomlin to let him play, but Tomlin nixed it. That gave Arians and Dixon exactly (give or take) 48hours to prepare.

fansince'76

Knowing the plays does not equal ability to execute said plays without practicing said plays.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Ok, stop with the Arians hate. When does LeBeau get the blame for letting lackluster offenses run wild on the 'vaunted' Steelers D?

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Oh, OK, so you knew that they knew this all week as a fact, huh? Sorry, I didn't realize I was talking to an insider here. My bad, coach.

:sofunny:

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Ward said HE, and no other player, knew of this elaborate ruse that apparently only the coaches and Hawaiiansixrings knew of....

CargoJon
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Ok, stop with the Arians hate. When does LeBeau get the blame for letting lackluster offenses run wild on the 'vaunted' Steelers D?
When it happens with Polomalu playing.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-30-2009, 03:16 PM
When it happens with Polomalu playing.

So you're saying that one player makes or breaks the Steelers defense? Because that's a scary scenario. And I actually agree with you. However, they have to find a way to use the players they have to stop 3rd and 22 or 4th and 5. That really is inexcusable.

But however, when BA doesn't have his franchise QB and takes a lead late in the 4th quarter, only to have the D cough up the lead and eventually the game, it's the OC's fault? Doesn't add up.

Indo
11-30-2009, 03:23 PM
So you're saying that one player makes or breaks the Steelers defense? Because that's a scary scenario. And I actually agree with you. However, they have to find a way to use the players they have to stop 3rd and 22 or 4th and 5. That really is inexcusable.

But however, when BA doesn't have his franchise QB and takes a lead late in the 4th quarter, only to have the D cough up the lead and eventually the game, it's the OC's fault? Doesn't add up.

It's the "New Math"
When you add all of those things up, it IS the OC's fault
(at least on this board)
Crazy, ain't it

MillerMania83
11-30-2009, 03:35 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, BA MUST GO, as it's to the point that I really can't stand watchin' the HIDEOUS play calling that's going on with out Black and Gold....TRUE the offensive play calling wasn't the only reason they lost the game last night, but as always, IMO, it played a HUGE part in it....Like it was said here, BA didn't do anything, except the one call for the DD's TD, to help this kid alonjg last night and call plays that play to his strenghts....How in he!! do you keep #2 in the pocket that much in his first game against that team last night, JUST STUPID IMO...When the kid did have the chance to run he was MAGIC, IT WORKED, why wouldn't you call at least 3 or 4 more plays giving the kid an opportunity to use athletic gifts....There should have been a play called in the last possesion in OT, when nothin' else was really workin' and the Ravens were lickin' their chops, for #2 to roll out, and use his legs to at least try and make somethin' BIG HAPPEN (it did earlier), instead the kid driops back in the pocket and throws the INT that lead to them losing the game....Once again out D couldn't hold a lead, our secondary is PATHETIC right now IMO (off season clean house is in order) but they played good enough IMO to win, would have been nice to see out O coordinator put the kid QB in situations that would have helped him succeed, but once again BA doesn't do that and once again we a big loss looms over what is turning inot, if not already there, a DISASTER of a season after a Super Bowl victory, can ya say de javu.

SteelCityMom
11-30-2009, 04:23 PM

I had thoughts that maybe this was the case too, or at least that they maybe knew before Saturday. And then I thought, this is the same team that can't even hide something like their QB wanting a taller WR...there's no way the whole organization from trainers, ball boys, coaches, players etc. etc. could have kept it secret for a whole week.

Ward's interview sealed the deal for me, there's no way he would have said those things if they knew all week that Dixon would have been starting. And there's no way that the coaching staff would have waited until the last minute to tell Dixon he's starting. None of what you said makes any sense at all...even if they had been keeping it hush hush to gain some sort of advantage.

SteelCityMom
11-30-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm one of the ones that didn't think Arians did a horrible job yesterday. He did what he could with the limitations put on Dixon. And while I would have liked to see another run play or two from Dixon, I understand why they played it safe for the most part.

I think these past few weeks all coaches and all players need to really just clean the slate and pretend to start the season over. Do what Cowher did in '05 and make it a one game season from here on out. No more finger pointing, no more looking in the rearview mirror, just every player and coach on the team need to re-evaluate themselves. And we as fans need to remember that both winning and losing are team efforts. There are better things that could have been done on all sides of the ball the past few weeks...all we as fans can do though is hope that things get righted, and soon.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=HawaiianSixRings;715635]

I played QB for over ten years, and am a coaches son, so the sport was ingrained in my head from the time i was born.

FAIL.

This decision was on the coaches part...not Dennis Dixon's.

You played football as a QB for ten years? Playing Madden doesn't count my friend..

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 04:33 PM

It was actually quoted by Cris Collinsworth on SNF. Did you even watch the game?

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 04:36 PM

There is enough evidence to answer that with a resounding "Yes". There is a 5 year study on this scenerio and it always comes back as "Yes"

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
It was actually quoted by Cris Collinsworth on SNF. Did you even watch the game?

Yes I did, and he didn't say that.

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 04:51 PM

Saints be praised - someone around here gets it. :thumbsup: :applaudit:

I love Papa Lebeau, but if Arians it to be held accountable for the perceived "lack of production" on the O, Dick Lebeau needs to be held just as accountable for the fubars of his defensive unit.

ricardisimo
11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
+1 rep for you - hit the nail right on the head.

Need to replace BA during the offseason I'd say.

Oh, and draft CB with our first round pick. William Gay is making me sick.

I'll say it again: Arians is not a bad OC. I think he's quite good, actually, and the offense's numbers on the stat sheet support that. However, he clearly should not be calling plays, an area where he is lacking. He's having too much fun with the play-calling, which is fine, but at some point he needs to take his job a little more seriously, or else move to Oakland, where his style would make Al Davis quite happy. Arians is also what I would consider a bad game manager.

The answer does indeed seem to point to Tomlin. I would have to believe that he has the capacity to be more of a "Big Picture" guy than Arians. Why is he not stepping in fix this, either taking away play-calling duties, or giving his OC some structure and guidelines to follow?

I also don't think Gay is that bad. The whole country saw him get stepped on by Peterson in that one game, and he's been picked on ever since. Partly, yeah, he has to step and prove people wrong. That's on him. But it's not as though Taylor and Clark have been stellar.

Quite the opposite. If anything, I'd say Gay has better hands than those guys and has been largely a better tackler during the last four or five games. His big problem is that he has been out of position repeatedly. The good news is that you can fix that with good coaching and experience. Ike and Ryan have been in position and have missed their tackles, dropped sure picks and drawn numerous very costly interference flags, and that's just unacceptable for guys with their experience.

Rev... you make very good points regularly. You just really need to edit out the insults before clicking "Submit". It's hurting you more than your targets, I can guarantee.

HawaiianSixRings
11-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Saints be praised - someone around here gets it. :thumbsup: :applaudit:

I love Papa Lebeau, but if Arians it to be held accountable for the perceived "lack of production" on the O, Dick Lebeau needs to be held just as accountable for the fubars of his defensive unit.

So let me get this straight. Hometown Gal wants future HOF'er our own beloved Dick Lebeau to be held "accountable", despite having a top 3 Defense ( by the way, our defense is the ONLY reason why we even had a chance to win last night ). But she sticks up for BA and Bob Ligashesky. ( How many victories have our ST cost us this year? Hint, it's not as much as the defense, I guarantee you that )

Especially without our best player Troy Polamalu, our defense have been doing just fine. ( again, Top 3 defense, it's hard to argue with numbers HTG ). Have you considered, maybe its you that just don't get it?

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 05:08 PM
So let me get this straight. Hometown Gal wants future HOF'er our own beloved Dick Lebeau to be held "accountable", despite having a top 3 Defense ( by the way, our defense is the ONLY reason why we even had a chance to win last night ). But she sticks up for BA and Bob Ligashesky. ( How many victories have our ST cost us this year? Hint, it's not as much as the defense, I guarantee you that )

Especially without our best player Troy Polamalu, our defense have been doing just fine. ( again, Top 3 defense, it's hard to argue with numbers HTG ). Have you considered, maybe its you that just don't get it?

I am entitled to my opinion, Mr. Montana. Obviously, I was being sarcastic in trying to prove a point. Your blatant arrogance and disrespect of others' opinions around here has earned you a vacation back into cyberspace. :wave:

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Yeah, they looked great letting the Ravens convert that 3rd-and-22.

Nadroj 20
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:...yea right man cya cause your GONE

BleedBlacknGold0
11-30-2009, 05:39 PM
I think to sum it up its the fact that neither the coaches nor the players have been able to successfully close out a game this year and put a team away per say.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
[QUOTE=revefsreleets;715637]

You played football as a QB for ten years? Playing Madden doesn't count my friend..

Buh-bye...you'll be missed

(sarcasm smiley)

Rev... you make very good points regularly. You just really need to edit out the insults before clicking "Submit". It's hurting you more than your targets, I can guarantee.

Again, you are welcome to put me on ignore if my posting style is not to your liking...

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM

I didn't say the playcalling was the sole reason we lost...I said that had the playcalling been different we "could've" won. I understand the defense gave up another lead in the 4th. But I also understand that we played too conservative on offense and not to Dixon's strengths. Why not open up the offense after a good first half by Dixon? Instead, we ran on 1st and 2nd down and threw on 3rd...very predictable. Especially on that last drive...

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Tomlin:
“We limited his exposure, probably the best way to say it. Particularly early, we wanted to run the ball, get the ball on the perimeter, let him find some rhythm, settle in. And if it meant running the ball third and down when we were in minus territory, we were willing to do it. We want to pick our spots because we understand the potential for what happened at the end of the game. It happened. That’s a great defense. They have great continuity, a young quarterback, they’ll bait you. You’ve got to be aware of where Ed Reed is at all times, and so forth. We weren’t going to play scared by any stretch. We were just going to limit his exposure and hold our bullets to the appropriate time to win the football game.”

And...

(on why they didn’t go back to the design run with Dixon) “We did. We didn’t get the opportunity. We wanted to pick our spots, like I said earlier. The defense understood the talent, his skill set. They know that he can run, and often times they were brining multiple people off the right side of our formation. In the event that we ran boots and nakeds, they saw we ran boots several times in the game, and he had to pull up. So, we just couldn’t call it repeatedly, because they’re professionals, too, and they prepare.”

You can argue with him....

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Maybe Stan & Guy should apply for the job, then. It's easy to be a Monday morning OC with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, because you're never wrong that way.

But it shouldn't take hindsight to see that Dixon felt more comfortable to be out of the pocket instead of being forced into a pocket passer. Why not try more QB draws or bootlegs? I just don't get it...the guy is in practice everyday...how do you not know his strengths and weaknesses? I agree that Arians was stubborn in his playcalling...

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 10:10 AM
But it shouldn't take hindsight to see that Dixon felt more comfortable to be out of the pocket instead of being forced into a pocket passer. Why not try more QB draws or bootlegs? I just don't get it...the guy is in practice everyday...how do you not know his strengths and weaknesses? I agree that Arians was stubborn in his playcalling...

What the f**k ever....you clearly, like several other posters here, know much more about how to manage an NFL offense, particularly one starting a 3rd string QB on two days notice, then our coaching staff...I'm sure we'd have won 70-0 if you were calling the shots...

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Tomlin:
“We limited his exposure, probably the best way to say it. Particularly early, we wanted to run the ball, get the ball on the perimeter, let him find some rhythm, settle in. And if it meant running the ball third and down when we were in minus territory, we were willing to do it. We want to pick our spots because we understand the potential for what happened at the end of the game. It happened. That’s a great defense. They have great continuity, a young quarterback, they’ll bait you. You’ve got to be aware of where Ed Reed is at all times, and so forth. We weren’t going to play scared by any stretch. We were just going to limit his exposure and hold our bullets to the appropriate time to win the football game.”

And...

(on why they didn’t go back to the design run with Dixon) “We did. We didn’t get the opportunity. We wanted to pick our spots, like I said earlier. The defense understood the talent, his skill set. They know that he can run, and often times they were brining multiple people off the right side of our formation. In the event that we ran boots and nakeds, they saw we ran boots several times in the game, and he had to pull up. So, we just couldn’t call it repeatedly, because they’re professionals, too, and they prepare.”

You can argue with him....

I won't argue with Coach but I didn't see it that way. I saw Dixon drop back for most of his 26 pass attempts. I didn't see him run boots several times. But if he says so, then that's what happened.

But what I don't understand about his statement is that how did the Ravens prepare for Dixon when it was thought that Ben was playing the whole week?

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 10:18 AM
What the f**k ever....you clearly, like several other posters here, know much more about how to manage an NFL offense, particularly one starting a 3rd string QB on two days notice, then our coaching staff...I'm sure we'd have won 70-0 if you were calling the shots...

lol you're hilarious. I didn't say that I knew how to manage any NFL offense. But it doesn't take an offensive genius to play to your 3rd stringers strengths. The chances we took with him weren't to his strengths...at least that's how many people saw it.

What the f**k ever, huh? lol

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 10:24 AM
lol you're hilarious. I didn't say that I knew how to manage any NFL offense. But it doesn't take an offensive genius to play to your 3rd stringers strengths. The chances we took with him weren't to his strengths...at least that's how many people saw it.

No, you are clearly second guessing the coaches, saying they made obvious mistakes, which means, by proxy, that you think you could have done a better job.

How did you get off my ignore list anyway? Oh, that's right...most of what YOU post is comical....unintentionally of course...

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM
No, you are clearly second guessing the coaches, saying they made obvious mistakes, which means, by proxy, that you think you could have done a better job.

How did you get off my ignore list anyway? Oh, that's right...most of what YOU post is comical....unintentionally of course...

Who doesn't second guess coaches decisions? Oh, that's right...real fans lol. What is the purpose of this board? I have never seen so much whining about other people in my life...get over it! It's funny how you continuously run off Steeler fans and get people banned from this site with no consequences. You don't bother me, I just laugh at you. You need a red nose, face paint and some things to juggle because that's obviously what you do for a living.

Please put me back on ignore. You or anybody else won't touch my ignore list...that's childish but hey, if the red nose fits.

Texasteel
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM

I thought BA did do a good job playing to Dixons strengths and keeping the defense off balanced. I thought he looked comfortable, particularly with the play action pass. He started getting uncomfortable when Ray Ray, was looking him in the eye, but I've seen that from a lot of QBs. One problem I would of had with a lot of bootlegs is that I'm a little afraid that his young instincts would have taken over and he would pull the ball down and just take off, I think that is pretty much how we lost Ben. I know a lot here are saying " Let him take his chances", but I think that opinion would change if we had to watch a collage QB with NO NFL experience run onto the field.

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I thought BA did do a good job playing to Dixons strengths and keeping the defense off balanced. I thought he looked comfortable, particularly with the play action pass. He started getting uncomfortable when Ray Ray, was looking him in the eye, but I've seen that from a lot of QBs. One problem I would of had with a lot of bootlegs is that I'm a little afraid that his young instincts would have taken over and he would pull the ball down and just take off, I think that is pretty much how we lost Ben. I know a lot here are saying " Let him take his chances", but I think that opinion would change if we had to watch a collage QB with NO NFL experience run onto the field.

I can see what you're saying. I thought his instincts were pretty good in the 1st half. The only time he ran other than the TD run was the 31 yard run that was called back from holding. Ray Lewis did have him a little on edge but that was because the backs couldn't block him. I was trying to figure out why they were blocking him high instead of trying to take his legs out.

I don't know...I just think if we put him out there we shouldn't treat him like he shouldn't be out there.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 10:54 AM
I have never seen so much whining about other people in my life...get over it! It's funny how you continuously run off Steeler fans and get people banned from this site with no consequences. .

Interesting point. I never thought of it that way. :confused:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 10:59 AM
I can see what you're saying. I thought his instincts were pretty good in the 1st half. The only time he ran other than the TD run was the 31 yard run that was called back from holding. Ray Lewis did have him a little on edge but that was because the backs couldn't block him. I was trying to figure out why they were blocking him high instead of trying to take his legs out.

I don't know...I just think if we put him out there we shouldn't treat him like he shouldn't be out there.

I think you have to pare down the playbook for a kid that has only thrown 1 NFL pass. Dixon played well in his debut, but in crunch time you could see that the game hasnt slowed down enough for him to make the best decisions.

He threw a deep pass to Wallace late on the right sidelines, when he had Heath Miller in the right flat open for the 1st down. There were also times where it looked like he had a rush lane, but chose to pass instead of tuck and run.

I didnt think a Dixon lead offense would score 21 points, so it was gonna be on the defense to keep us in it and they did....until late. Take away Ben, Troy, Kemo, Aaron Smith and Batch......I dont think many sould expect much with that many guys out.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
Who doesn't second guess coaches decisions? Oh, that's right...real fans lol. What is the purpose of this board? I have never seen so much whining about other people in my life...get over it! It's funny how you continuously run off Steeler fans and get people banned from this site with no consequences. You don't bother me, I just laugh at you. You need a red nose, face paint and some things to juggle because that's obviously what you do for a living.

Please put me back on ignore. You or anybody else won't touch my ignore list...that's childish but hey, if the red nose fits.

You'd be on ignore because I don't care what you have to say...but I do care what you have to say...it's so stupid that it makes me laugh, and I enjoy laughing...

As for running people off the board, that's absurd. I accurately predict when retarded people are about to get themselves run off, but I have no power to determine their fate one way or the other. If it was up to me, I'd be banning people based on stupidity, and it'd be a slaughterhouse...

And, if you don't care for the way I post, then why do you continually comment on it so much?

Continual comedy gold...tell us more about all the mistakes the coaches made in Sundays game!

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
I think you have to pare down the playbook for a kid that has only thrown 1 NFL pass. Dixon played well in his debut, but in crunch time you could see that the game hasnt slowed down enough for him to make the best decisions.

He threw a deep pass to Wallace late on the right sidelines, when he had Heath Miller in the right flat open for the 1st down. There were also times where it looked like he had a rush lane, but chose to pass instead of tuck and run.

I didnt think a Dixon lead offense would score 21 points, so it was gonna be on the defense to keep us in it and they did....until late. Take away Ben, Troy, Kemo, Aaron Smith and Batch......I dont think many sould expect much with that many guys out.

True...that last play showed his inexperience. He said that he saw the guy drop back in coverage but trusted himself to get the ball to the WR. I agree with people saying the defense let us down once again in the 4th but they kept us in the game. I just wish we would've ran plays that gave us the best chance to move the ball down the field. If that's what we did, then we played a hell of a game with many injuries.

I remember that deep pass and when I saw the replay, I was shocked he didn't see Heath. But Wallace had a step and if the throw the accurate it could've been a catch.

Honestly, I thought we were going to get thrashed lol.

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 11:26 AM
[QUOTE=revefsreleets;716305]You'd be on ignore because I don't care what you have to say...but I do care what you have to say...it's so stupid that it makes me laugh, and I enjoy laughing...

As for running people off the board, that's absurd. I accurately predict when retarded people are about to get themselves run off, but I have no power to determine their fate one way or the other. If it was up to me, I'd be banning people based on stupidity, and it'd be a slaughterhouse...

And, if you don't care for the way I post, then why do you continually comment on it so much?

Continual comedy gold...tell us more about all the mistakes the coaches made in Sundays game![/QUOTE}

You're right...nobody is as smart as the great Steelers Fever backwards guy. Again, put me on ignore. Please...

It's not absurd...far from it actually. Anytime somebody disagrees with you, you call them names. They come back and call you names then the mods ban them. For some reason, nothing happens to you. Maybe it's seniority and if that's how this place is run, then so be it. But you are a cancer just as much as you are an asset, IMO of course.

You're a funny guy...fun to mess with and get riled up lol. That's why I comment on your posts. I'm here for entertainment and you provide it...good job! :applaudit:

Again, what is the purpose of this MB? To share your opinions...not as facts tho as you do so well. I won't go away (unless I insult HTG or fansince76) so put me on ignore and shut the fu*k up or say hi and keep it movin.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 11:32 AM
It's not absurd...far from it actually. Anytime somebody disagrees with you, you call them names. They come back and call you names then the mods ban them.

Prove it, or STFU.

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Prove it, or STFU.

LMAO...I'm not going to waste my time going thru thousands of posts to prove he is a jackass or how he feasts on the newbies. That should be obvious.

And I certainly won't shut the fu*k up...unless you ban me for arguing with Steelers fever backwards guy...which would prove my point lol.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 11:44 AM
LMAO...I'm not going to waste my time going thru thousands of posts to prove he is a jackass or how he feasts on the newbies. That should be obvious.

And I certainly won't shut the fu*k up...unless you ban me for arguing with Steelers fever backwards guy...which would prove my point lol.

Why would I ban you for arguing with him? There are plenty of folks here who argue with revs on a regular basis that aren't banned. The newbies who are banned are generally people who come on here and immediately and constantly lash out at anyone and everyone who dares to disagree with them - those are the ones who have a short shelflife here, and get the boot after multiple warnings yet still persist, but believe what you want. You don't know or see the whole picture, so stop pretending like you do.

SteelMember
12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Take away Ben, Troy, Kemo, Aaron Smith and Batch......I dont think many sould expect much with that many guys out.

I'm not so sure about that last one... I believe Dixon played the best he could given the circumstances, and maybe gave us a better shot than Charlie. NO hate to Batch. I don't watch practices, but he isn't as dependable as he might have once been. I mean, when was his last complete series. I can't remember. :noidea:

The run game was doing well, but you could definately see the difference with Foster in there. They ran the same plays we love that Kemo accels at, and fell flat with RB's beating him to the hole. I believe they even tried to go the opposite way a few times pulling Essex instead. Once again, a player that did pretty well under the circumstances.

Let me ask you this. Did you notice the difference when Kirschke was in, as opposed to Hood?
I have no doubt that Hood will be an exceptional player, but I thought Travis had better series' and really helped the D get off the field on more that one occasion. And THAT is why they keep the "old" guy around.

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Why would I ban you for arguing with him? There are plenty of folks here who argue with revs on a regular basis that aren't banned. The newbies who are banned are generally people who come on here and immediately and constantly lash out at anyone and everyone who dares to disagree with them - those are the ones who have a short shelflife here, and get the boot after multiple warnings yet still persist, but believe what you want. You don't know or see the whole picture, so stop pretending like you do.

Banning me for arguing with him was a joke, hence the "lol". I have seen plenty of people claim Steelers fever backwards guy lashes out at anyone that doesn't agree with him. Anyway, I'm not campaigning to get SFBG banned. He tries to bully people on the board and some newbies who actually love the Steelers don't come back because of him. That was my point and if you feel I was questioning the integrity of your board...my bad.

I'm not pretending to know anything but I can't help but see what I see on this board.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 12:02 PM
True...that last play showed his inexperience. He said that he saw the guy drop back in coverage but trusted himself to get the ball to the WR. I agree with people saying the defense let us down once again in the 4th but they kept us in the game. I just wish we would've ran plays that gave us the best chance to move the ball down the field. If that's what we did, then we played a hell of a game with many injuries.

I remember that deep pass and when I saw the replay, I was shocked he didn't see Heath. But Wallace had a step and if the throw the accurate it could've been a catch.

Honestly, I thought we were going to get thrashed lol.

I said it before the game, that the plan would be to put the game in the hands of Defense and a Running game, then give Dixon a scaled down playbook that he could handle. That is pretty much what happened and it was close.....it was at a point where the Defense could have won it.

But, moving the pocket or rolling Dixon out I dont think were plays that were gonna help, plus if the toothpick wearing #2 got hurt, we were looking at Tyler Palko, so protection and conservatism was probably the plan. Dixon could have run several times, but chose to pass because he is a QB first and not a "running QB" as some feel(just because he fits the profile).

I apologize to those who thought the first 3 quarters were "Cowherball", but the Offense imposed their will on the Ravens defensive front, eating clock, grinding out yards. Just imagine if we did that with Ben and then threw some play action out of the same formations. :jawdrop:

If we can take the Ravens to OT with a power running game and a 3rd string QB.....imagine what we can do with an experienced QB when NOT in an empty backfield. :doh:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I'm not so sure about that last one... I believe Dixon played the best he could given the circumstances, and maybe gave us a better shot than Charlie. NO hate to Batch. I don't watch practices, but he isn't as dependable as he might have once been. I mean, when was his last complete series. I can't remember. :noidea:

The run game was doing well, but you could definately see the difference with Foster in there. They ran the same plays we love that Kemo accels at, and fell flat with RB's beating him to the hole. I believe they even tried to go the opposite way a few times pulling Essex instead. Once again, a player that did pretty well under the circumstances.

Let me ask you this. Did you notice the difference when Kirschke was in, as opposed to Hood?
I have no doubt that Hood will be an exceptional player, but I thought Travis had better series' and really helped the D get off the field on more that one occasion. And THAT is why they keep the "old" guy around.

Yeah, I thought Dixon did well. I also thought the Offense dominated the battle in the trenches and would love to see more of that.......but I know...."we arent those Steelers any more. We are a passing team".

I noticed Foster doing well, but struggling at times as the announcers pointed out. I think our run game could have been even more dominant with Kemo in there. As for Hood, I think its well known that he needs a year to get stronger, learn to play the 5 technique rather than his normal 3-technique that he played at Mizzou. Kirschke is the better run stuffer, while Hood gets more pressure in passing downs.

I think BA did the best he could with the situation, but I bet it was painful for him to run the ball as much as we did and not have the QB with an empty backfield on 3rd and 2 situations.

Steel_12
12-01-2009, 12:18 PM
I said it before the game, that the plan would be to put the game in the hands of Defense and a Running game, then give Dixon a scaled down playbook that he could handle. That is pretty much what happened and it was close.....it was at a point where the Defense could have won it.

But, moving the pocket or rolling Dixon out I dont think were plays that were gonna help, plus if the toothpick wearing #2 got hurt, we were looking at Tyler Palko, so protection and conservatism was probably the plan. Dixon could have run several times, but chose to pass because he is a QB first and not a "running QB" as some feel(just because he fits the profile).

I apologize to those who thought the first 3 quarters were "Cowherball", but the Offense imposed their will on the Ravens defensive front, eating clock, grinding out yards. Just imagine if we did that with Ben and then threw some play action out of the same formations. :jawdrop:

If we can take the Ravens to OT with a power running game and a 3rd string QB.....imagine what we can do with an experienced QB when NOT in an empty backfield. :doh:

Good post...guess we'll have to agree to disagree about moving him out of the pocket. I don't feel we should've worried about Dixon getting hurt because that limited some of the things he does well. He made some nice throws in the 1st half and I think that could've set up the Ravens for a couple of qb draws or bootlegs. He might not be a running qb but he can run.

I agree that we can take some good things out of it but those good things don't equal a W and that's what we needed. Now we're out of the playoffs instead of having that last spot. I'm optimistic that we can run the table tho...provided Troy comes back since we haven't won a game without him playing.

MACH1
12-01-2009, 12:19 PM
You'd be on ignore because I don't care what you have to say...but I do care what you have to say...it's so stupid that it makes me laugh, and I enjoy laughing...

Continual comedy gold...tell us more about all the mistakes the coaches made in Sundays game!

I guess you'd be here all alone then. :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Good post...guess we'll have to agree to disagree about moving him out of the pocket. I don't feel we should've worried about Dixon getting hurt because that limited some of the things he does well. He made some nice throws in the 1st half and I think that could've set up the Ravens for a couple of qb draws or bootlegs. He might not be a running qb but he can run.

I agree that we can take some good things out of it but those good things don't equal a W and that's what we needed. Now we're out of the playoffs instead of having that last spot. I'm optimistic that we can run the table tho...provided Troy comes back since we haven't won a game without him playing.

Yeah, I think the Ravens started selling out against Mendenhall and the run game, so a bootleg option pass or even a QB draw with maybe a lead by the RB or pulling guard might have worked........but they probably didnt have those plays in the book for Dixon. Who knows.

I personally just loved watching us grind the ball on the ground and letting the O line tee off instead of being on their heels having to protect the QB in an empty backfield. The Cowherball haters will disagree and that is OK. I just seem to remember BC lead teams that COULD close out games they were leading.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I guess you'd be here all alone then. :noidea:

There's a HUGE difference between being disagreeable and being stupid. I'm putting stupid and generally disagreeable people on ignore. They've GOT to be able to bring some kind of rational and logical argument to their opinion, otherwise it's just uninformed nonsense and I'm no longer going to waste my time reading it...

I'm not saying I'm the most knowledgeable football guy on the board, but I at least can make a reasonable case for anything I assert....and that's what I ask in return. Sorry if I'm rocking the boat or pot stirring by having a minimum threshold of football intelligence intolerance...

ricardisimo
12-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I am entitled to my opinion, Mr. Montana. Obviously, I was being sarcastic in trying to prove a point. Your blatant arrogance and disrespect of others' opinions around here has earned you a vacation back into cyberspace. :wave:

I don't get it. What does this mean? Did HawaiianSixRings get put on an ignore list or banned from the forum?

Steelerfreak58
12-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Dixon did great. Arian's did great utilizing Dixon. Foster did damn good coming in for Kemo. When the chips were down the Offense lead by a first game third string QB went down field late in the 4th quarter and got the TD we needed.

The DEFENSE failed to do its job and allowed the Ravens to come back and tie the game. This is not the first time they did it either this year, remember Cincy the first time, Chicago, KC all were places where the Defense allowed the game to slip away.

SteelMember
12-01-2009, 02:35 PM
There's a HUGE difference between being disagreeable and being stupid. I'm putting stupid and generally disagreeable people on ignore...

Ok. So your are saying there is a HUGE difference, yet you group them all the same.

How can I argue with that Logic.

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 02:59 PM
, remember Cincy the first time, Chicago, KC all were places where the Defense allowed the game to slip away.

Strangely, I think those are games that Polamalu was injured and not in the lineup. :noidea: but, saying the defense isnt the same without Troy is a cop out:rolleyes:

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Ok. So your are saying there is a HUGE difference, yet you group them all the same.

How can I argue with that Logic.

Watch out, that post looks disagreeable and borderline stupid. You might get ignored. :chuckle: :banned:

ricardisimo
12-01-2009, 03:41 PM

So let me get this straight... this is the post that got Hawaiian banned? And has he been banned, or did HTG put him on Ignore?

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
So let me get this straight... this is the post that got Hawaiian banned? And has he been banned, or did HTG put him on Ignore?

Why are you so concerned about it?

ricardisimo
12-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Why are you so concerned about it?

I would say that doesn't answer my question, but on second thought, I'm pretty sure it does. You're a forum moderator, aren't you?

Indo
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I would say that doesn't answer my question, but on second thought, I'm pretty sure it does. You're a forum moderator, aren't you?

A word to the wise

The mods here do a VERY good job...
People that get banned deserve to be banned. Without exception.

You (we) do not see all that goes on---people that are banned generally are first given warnings thru private messages telling them that they are being inappropriate for whatever reason and to clean it up. Those who you and others deem to be "favorites" get just as many warnings when appropriate. Those people clean it up; and they don't get banned.

Some continue to push...and they do get banned.
Some are just asshats and get banned in just a few posts---generally douchenozzles from other teams

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I don't get it. What does this mean? Did HawaiianSixRings get put on an ignore list or banned from the forum?

FYI - this was a guy who was previously banned for the same types of behaviors he exhibited under his most recent dearly departed moniker. He was given a second chance and decided to blow that too so he was shown the door.

ricardisimo
12-01-2009, 04:13 PM
FYI - this was a guy who was previously banned for the same types of behaviors he exhibited under his most recent dearly departed moniker. He was given a second chance and decided to blow that too so he was shown the door.

But what was the intolerable behavior? He's a bit overly exuberant, to be sure, and he doesn't ever seem check his facts before posting, as far as I can tell... but as someone else has already pointed out here, revs cannot post even once without calling everyone a retard, and yet here he is.

I'm a newb here in SFF, but not to forums in general [for the techies out there, check out the UbuntuForums (http://ubuntuforums.org/) to see how polite and respectful posters can be, and how even-handed and democratic the mods should be].
Nobody's going to tell me there isn't rampant favoritism going on here. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Look... I'm certain nobody here gives a shit what I do, but I'm not too sure I want to contribute here any longer. I've got to think about this a bit. Take care.

Preacher
12-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Steelers-Ravens: Arians Tries To Fit Square Peg Into Round Hole
Lee Heisler
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/299699-steelers-vs-ravens-arians-tries-to-fit-square-peg-into-round-hole
Correspondent Written on November 30, 2009

BALTIMORE - NOVEMBER 29: Dennis Dixon #2 of the Pittsburgh Steelers hands off against the Baltimore Ravens at M&T Bank Stadium on November 29, 2009 in Baltimore, Maryland. (Photo by Larry French/Getty Images) Larry French/Getty Images

Well, the Steelers gave the Ravens a better game than most people thought they would.

The defense made a few big plays, yet gave up a few big plays. The worst part was, once again, Bruce Arians and his play-calling. Several calls puzzled me, but what else would you expect from Arians?

The thing that upset me the most was that Arians tried to make Dennis Dixon into a pocket-passer. The Ravens are a tough enough defense to go up against, but even tougher when your offensive coordinator tries to make you into something that you're not.

Why didn't Arians use some more moving pockets and bootlegs to give Dixon a pass/run option, enabling him to use his athletic ability? The one time that they did it, it resulted in a big play touchdown.

Arians makes the players fit into his system, instead of forming his offense around the strengths of the players. That is a sign of a poor coach. All Arians had to do was take a look at how the Titans changed their offense while transitioning from Kerry Collins to Vince Young.

Granted the Steelers didn't have a whole week knowing that Dixon was going to be the QB, but "good" coaches should always be prepared and have their teams prepared.

There should have been an offensive package put in to utilize Dixon's strengths "just in case," but the Steelers didn't.

Thus far this season Arians has stuck with the empty backfield set that has failed much, much more than it has succeeded. It's really done nothing but hurt the Steelers and their franchise QB.

Arians has made the Steelers a one-dimensional team numerous times this season by becoming pass happy. He's made poor play-calls in the redzone or short yardage situations all season, which takes points off the board.

He's become enamored with calling the long pass, even when that's what teams are protecting against. He refuses to max protect when needed, see the games against the Bengals this year and the game against the Eagles last season.

And tonight he refused to maximize Dixon's talents by using rollouts, moving pockets, or any plays with pass/run options.

It's to the point now where I'm losing respect for Mike Tomlin. He has to step in and do what's best for the team, even if it means stepping on peoples toes.

If Tomlin continues to stand by and do nothing but talk and cut fringe players on the roster I've got one word for you...spineless !

This is one of the most ignorant writings I have seen. :doh:

What a joke.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
But what was the intolerable behavior? He's a bit overly exuberant, to be sure, and he doesn't ever seem check his facts before posting, as far as I can tell... but as someone else has already pointed out here, revs cannot post even once without calling everyone a retard, and yet here he is.

I'm a newb here in SFF, but not to forums in general [for the techies out there, check out the UbuntuForums (http://ubuntuforums.org/) to see how polite and respectful posters can be, and how even-handed and democratic the mods should be].
Nobody's going to tell me there isn't rampant favoritism going on here. You're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Look... I'm certain nobody here gives a shit what I do, but I'm not too sure I want to contribute here any longer. I've got to think about this a bit. Take care.

Take it up with the site owner if you truly believe that and feel that strongly about it, then.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 04:50 PM

What a joke.

The stuff about not max protecting, being a bad coach and losing respect for Tomlin is definately overboard and misguided, but the stuff about being 1 dimensional and somewhat pass happy has some validity to it.

Point is that any blogger can write a bit or get a Twitter account and somebody thinks he's legit.

Texasteel
12-01-2009, 04:52 PM

You walk in here and anodize that is going on in how many days? Then start bad mouthing our mods. Mods by the way that take way to much crap off of folks like yourself. Don't think to long, just go.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM

Ricardo, I know it probably doesnt seem that nice to register for a board and want to chat, only to get attacked by those with a differing opinion. But, this is a forum with some passionate people and if you just wade thru the quagmire of some of the intolerant, you will find some posters with opinions that you can respect and interact with in a civil manner.

I for one think you should stick around and ride it out to find a niche, but would not blame you one bit if you decided to move on for reasons that you have stated.

BlastFurnace
12-01-2009, 04:59 PM

Don't leave. Stick around. This is a good board. Give it some more time.

O Sensei
12-01-2009, 05:45 PM

What a joke.

Respectfully disagree, most of what he says has some validity IMO.
The last two or three sentences however are laughable.

I think I mentioned in another thread though, the ONLY issue I had with Bruce in the ravens game was throwing so much, not adapting the offense to his players strength. That and throwing AT ALL at third and 5at the 50 in overtime. Every single coaching buddy throughout butler county where I live said the same thing, designed run from the shotgun at the most, but in no way throw the ball there. Now, if he had completed the pass, hey would have been great, still would have second guessed the call. Overall though great job with a green qb that had...who knows how much prep work...seems thats up for debate all around. Lotta time left in the season, get troy back and hopefully slap some skills into the defensive backs, Ben comes back, they could reasonably win the division IMO, if, big if, NY is playing for something and can beat the bengals, if so I see three potential cincy losses left. Running game is coming together, many will have watched that ravens game and ome away with doom and gloom, I choose to come away with, five games left, things are getting better, some things need work, anything is possible. Don't go home yet folks.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 07:21 PM

Hey bro - you could have easily expressed yourself without dropping an F bomb which you know damned well is a no-no around here. :nono: I also don't think Steel_12 deserved that type of a response to his post. :buttkick:

While we do agree on a lot of topics around here (are we related or something?), no one gets a free pass - not even you. When your post(s) put others on the defensive right off the bat, their claws are going to come out - it's human nature. I have no problem whatsoever with you or anyone else defending themselves without crossing the line but that isn't the case here as far as I can see. So again - please - knock it off with the callous remarks that, imho, aren't deserved.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 07:30 PM

S_12 - I'm an extremely honest person - most people around here will tell you this - and I can honestly say that revs has NEVER been the cause of anyone being banned around here. When someone is banned or given a vacation (which will show as a "ban" but is just a "break), unless they are an obvious :troll: or a :spam: mer, 99% of the time they are given a warning or in some cases - several warnings - before their plug is pulled. An FYI for you and anyone else around here who feels revs gets a free pass - ask HIM how many times he has been infracted and/or given an official warning by ME.

Also an FYI - we, as MODS, do not have the administrative "powers" to ban anyone who has over 5,000 posts. Only the Board Administrator (SteelersFever) has the "au-thor-i-tay" to perform that task and if we feel a member with over 5,000 posts is deserving of a ban or a vacation, we would discuss it with Mike and opine as to why we feel a ban/vacation is warranted.

tyler289
12-01-2009, 07:33 PM
Can we put a ban on posting from Bleacher Report? It's just the opinions of fans who think they are geniuses.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Can we put a ban on posting from Bleacher Report? It's just the opinions of fans who think they are geniuses.

Whelp tyler - if we did that, we'd have to ban half of the current posters around here for the same reason. :chuckle:

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 08:06 PM

I already explained my actions, though I was under no obligation to do so. I also explained in a post above that we, as Mods, don't have every single Administrative "power".

You really can't compare the passion associated with being diehard football fans on a football/sports BB to the "geek speak" on a techie BB. Apples and oranges.

I haven't been a Democrat in 5 years, so I can't be "democratic" around here. :banging: Oops - sorry, had a blonde highlighted moment there. :chuckle: Seriously, though - most people are quite respectful around here until they are prodded and baited by others because of a disagreement in opinion.

You are going to believe what you want to believe and that's A-OK with me. I have many friends on this board, some of whom I communicate with off the board and some who I hang out with in "real time" but most of 'em wouldn't hesitate to tell you that they've been infracted by me more than once for crossing the line after warnings have been issued. I don't play faves and neither does Gary.

Hey - whatever floats your boat. This is an internet sports BB, not a Sunday school. Though you and I have rarely agreed on anything since you joined this board, honestly - I do respect your opinions but as most people will verify around these parts - I won't hesitate to go head to head when I vehemently disagree on any given topic. Being an opinionated woman on a sports BB kind of puts me at a disadvantage, but I've learned to take it with a grain of salt and I put my two pennies in at any rate. Most of the guys around here are quite respectful of us Steelers ladies' thoughts and opinions and I think I can speak for my fellow female black 'n gold comrades in stating that we do appreciate being given that respect. :drink:

If you decide to stick around -cool. If not - best of luck to you. :drink:

MACH1
12-01-2009, 08:17 PM
Also an FYI - we, as MODS, do not have the administrative "powers" to ban anyone who has over 5,000 posts.

Wooohooo I'm safe. :banana: :wink02:

tony hipchest
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Also an FYI - we, as MODS, do not have the administrative "powers" to ban anyone who has over 5,000 posts. Only the Board Administrator (SteelersFever) has the "au-thor-i-tay" to perform that task .

hmmmm.... :tap:

i did not know that....

:danceshout:

:getdown:

interesting thread, needless to say. :popcorn: im curious who HawaiiAudi5000 was.
i usually sniff out the retreads rather quickly....

Texasteel
12-01-2009, 09:24 PM
hmmmm.... :tap:

i did not know that....

:danceshout:

:getdown:

interesting thread, needless to say. :popcorn: im curious who HawaiiAudi5000 was.
i usually sniff out the retreads rather quickly....

OMG, life as we know it is over.:doh:

T.Richardson
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM

there has got to be a loophole..

X-Terminator
12-02-2009, 06:37 AM
For anyone who has or keeps whining about alleged "favoritism" on this board, if you want proof-positive that HTG does not play favorites, she has infracted ME in the past, and I'm her best friend in R/L. So please, just stop already. It's :bs:

Rick5895
12-02-2009, 06:41 AM
Two questions

!. Why are we still beating this dead horse of Arians?
2. Why are we continually trashing each other because we don't agree with opinions?

SteelStang
12-02-2009, 07:00 AM
Whine much?

You forgot one thing....TOMLIN MADE THAT CALL....hate on him for awhile and skip bashing posters simply because they are telling you things you don't quite comprehend.....it's not MY fault you don't understand how the game of football is played.

You keep resorting to this 'YOU DON'T KNOW HOW FOOTBALL IS PLAYED' bit. Give it a rest. Some people believe Arians does a good job while others see it just the opposite. It doesn't mean that I or we or they don't know football. It means that the way we view it is different from you. None of us are putting our recent losing streak soley on the back of BA. Our defense has given up way too many big plays and our special teams speak for themselves. We are simply pointing out that he goes pass-happy too quickly, had hardly anything designed for DD, and has shown little or no creativity whatsoever.

Quit telling people they don' t know football. Everyone here knows it to a certain degree and they certainly know Steelers football as well.

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 07:00 AM

Well . . . not really. Gary and I can't ban you, but one PM to the Board Administrator with proof to back it up and you're gone, gone - GONE! :chuckle:

Seriously, though - you're cool by me. :drink:

SteelMember
12-02-2009, 07:14 AM
You keep resorting to this 'YOU DON'T KNOW HOW FOOTBALL IS PLAYED' bit. Give it a rest. Some people believe Arians does a good job while others see it just the opposite. It doesn't mean that I or we or they don't know football. It means that the way we view it is different from you. None of us are putting our recent losing streak soley on the back of BA. Our defense has given up way too many big plays and our special teams speak for themselves. We are simply pointing out that he goes pass-happy too quickly, had hardly anything designed for DD, and has shown little or no creativity whatsoever.

Quit telling people they don' t know football. Everyone here knows it to a certain degree and they certainly know Steelers football as well.

But SteelStang, have you read the resume...

FAIL.

This was post #22
I don't know, I'm already over it...

On to the Raiders....

:toofunny:

Just can't help yourself.

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 08:23 AM
But SteelStang, have you read the resume...

This was post #22

:toofunny:

Just can't help yourself.

Guys - all you are doing here is inciting the riot. We've all gotten away from the topic of this thread and have expressed our frustrations and I think it's high time to get the thread back on track.

I don't want to lock down this thread as some good discussion is actually contained herein, but if the baiting and flame fests continue, I'm going to really have no choice.

So - any posts made after this that do not fall within the topic contents will be deleted.

SteelMember
12-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Fair enough HTG.

I realize I've said things in retaliation that do not necessarily represent myself, or this board in the best way. I just don't think he even bothered to read my initial statement in my post. I was just bringing some personal thoughts to the table. I didn't realize I needed to have a laundry list of facts to appease the local handlers.

I don't want to add fuel to this fire because I believe BA usually does a pretty good job, but there were a few times I scratched my head.

:hug:

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Fair enough HTG.

I realize I've said things in retaliation that do not necessarily represent myself, or this board in the best way. I just don't think he even bothered to read my initial statement in my post. I was just bringing some personal thoughts to the table. I didn't realize I needed to have a laundry list of facts to appease the local handlers.

:hug:

Well, if he didn't read your original statement, then that's on him. We've all been guilty of saying things in retaliation and defending ourselves against ignorance and disrespect for our opinions, but I think it really needs to stop. It is ruining threads that were started with good intentions and that isn't at all fair to the OP's. It also takes away from the good discussions being held in threads, such as this one. We're also seeing little veiled comments being made in other threads (not from you) and the infantile behaviors need to cease. I know I can count on you. :drink:

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 09:24 AM

I'll do that............................................as soon as I see some evidence exhibited that supports it. Especially from some of the people whose ignorant garbage I've had to read for YEARS.

You guys all crack me up....whining like 3 year olds because old Revs is a big meanie.

Do you cry like this at work? At home? I'm assuming you're all the product of this "Every kid's a winner" garbage mentality taking over, where score isn't kept and there is no accountability because "My kid is special and sensitive". Whatever.

I will repeat this once again. I'm reeled in when the mods deem I go to far, and I will continue to respect that, but I am otherwise under no compulsion to either suffer fools nor to change my overall posting style. If you are too sensitive to hear criticism, or have analysis based on critical thinking applied to your posts, then, again, I admonish you to PUT ME ON IGNORE!

Steel 12 has baited me before, and has been thwacked down in other places in this forum, and when a poster is found wanting as badly as he has been, he's going to carry his grudge around with him. It's remarkable to me to see people who have no idea of the history of the board, no idea of the back-story, march right in here and start acting like they know what's going on.

Back on task.

I will continue to defend Arians based on the fact that OVERALL, he's accomplishing results on the field, Ben respects him, and, MOST importantly, the Steelers have continually retained him. I will also ALWAYS defer to the wisdom of the coaches over internet message board posters. And I will continue to apply a critical eye to posts that make no sense to me, or exhibit a lack of fundamental knowledge as to how the game of football is played.

The_WARDen
12-02-2009, 09:28 AM
We do all root for the same team right? This is right up there with all the crazy inlaws you have to suffer with during the holidays.

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 10:14 AM
revs - you've had your say, as has everyone else.

Folks - this is the final warning. If this tread goes off topic once more, it is being locked down. PERIOD. :mad:

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
I did want to add one caveat about Arians. I do NOT think he calls perfect games. I do NOT think he is the greatest OC ever. But I DO think he does a great job matching up what the team offers personnel-wise to his game plans. We have an elite NFL QB, and a couple (maybe 3) really good WR's and a great pass catching TE. Why WOULDN'T we throw the ball 60/40?

That fits with what we did Sunday, as well. He situationally weighed DD's inexperience against who we were facing, along with the fact that we were in a near dire emergency at QB (and there's simply no way he made the call to go fairly conservative by himself, Tomlin was directly involved in that decision), and game planned accordingly.

The fact is, but for a late pick, the offense did enough to win that game....

SteelStang
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I'll do that............................................as soon as I see some evidence exhibited that supports it. Especially from some of the people whose ignorant garbage I've had to read for YEARS.

You guys all crack me up....whining like 3 year olds because old Revs is a big meanie.

Do you cry like this at work? At home? I'm assuming you're all the product of this "Every kid's a winner" garbage mentality taking over, where score isn't kept and there is no accountability because "My kid is special and sensitive". Whatever.

I will repeat this once again. I'm reeled in when the mods deem I go to far, and I will continue to respect that, but I am otherwise under no compulsion to either suffer fools nor to change my overall posting style. If you are too sensitive to hear criticism, or have analysis based on critical thinking applied to your posts, then, again, I admonish you to PUT ME ON IGNORE!

Steel 12 has baited me before, and has been thwacked down in other places in this forum, and when a poster is found wanting as badly as he has been, he's going to carry his grudge around with him. It's remarkable to me to see people who have no idea of the history of the board, no idea of the back-story, march right in here and start acting like they know what's going on.

Back on task.

I will continue to defend Arians based on the fact that OVERALL, he's accomplishing results on the field, Ben respects him, and, MOST importantly, the Steelers have continually retained him. I will also ALWAYS defer to the wisdom of the coaches over internet message board posters. And I will continue to apply a critical eye to posts that make no sense to me, or exhibit a lack of fundamental knowledge as to how the game of football is played.

The last thing I'm trying to do is bait you. I'm simply trying to explain the issues I have with BA as our OC. You see it one way, I see it another. The fact that you are the one who is bringing up 'whiners' and 'crying at work' and 'every kid's a winner' stuff is completely off topic. I'm talking football, steelers football, so why the need to go into that crap???

Rick5895
12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I did want to add one caveat about Arians. I do NOT think he calls perfect games. I do NOT think he is the greatest OC ever. But I DO think he does a great job matching up what the team offers personnel-wise to his game plans. We have an elite NFL QB, and a couple (maybe 3) really good WR's and a great pass catching TE. Why WOULDN'T we throw the ball 60/40?

That fits with what we did Sunday, as well. He situationally weighed DD's inexperience against who we were facing, along with the fact that we were in a near dire emergency at QB (and there's simply no way he made the call to go fairly conservative by himself, Tomlin was directly involved in that decision), and game planned accordingly.

The fact is, but for a late pick, the offense did enough to win that game....

I have never really liked Arians, I think he outsmarts himself inside the redzone. But he does call a decent game between the 20's. What was bothersome to me is he or he and Tomlin didn't take advantage of what they have in Dixon. I believe there should have been more rollouts or "moving pockets' It is easy to second guess coaches, but as you are the son of a coach and QB, I am a high school DC and High school allstar (for lack of better terms) DL coach as well as special teams coach. As a DC, I hate defending a QB like Dixon who gets to the edge in rollouts it puts tremendous pressure on the Defense. I am not saying this should have been done exclusively but the only times we ran this (twice) it resulted in TD's. For the most part I liked how Arians called the game , as I love the running game but using the talents of the players you have increases your chances of success. IMO

Rick5895
12-02-2009, 01:51 PM
And BTW, I agree we did enough on O to win. The D crapped themselves on 3rd and 22, and allowed a play that made 4th down manageable.

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 02:18 PM
See, the irony is that I have been one of the biggest cheerleaders PRIOR to the situation last week, to get Dixon on the field in ANY capacity.

I was mocked for that, but that's another story altogether.

Anyway, the guy is a stud. He can run. He can pass. He can catch. He's an incredible athlete. And he's smart with the ball, has a nice football IQ.

But Sunday was a unique situation. How many time has a team lost it's #1 TWO days before a game after losing it's #3 5 days before a game? We simply had to play Dixon a little close to the chest. My WORST fear (and I'm sure at least a few people in the FO shared this concern) was a Dennis Dixon crumpled over in pile holding his leg after his 20th QB draw or whatever, and Tyler Palko handing the ball off for the next 40 offensive plays (all 3 and outs).

That's NOT playing scared, that's being cognizant and aware of the circumstances and situations surrounding the football game you are playing in.

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 02:56 PM
But Sunday was a unique situation. How many time has a team lost it's #1 TWO days before a game after losing it's #3 5 days before a game? We simply had to play Dixon a little close to the chest. My WORST fear (and I'm sure at least a few people in the FO shared this concern) was a Dennis Dixon crumpled over in pile holding his leg after his 20th QB draw or whatever, and Tyler Palko handing the ball off for the next 40 offensive plays (all 3 and outs).

That's NOT playing scared, that's being cognizant and aware of the circumstances and situations surrounding the football game you are playing in.

That is an excellent analysis of BA's and Tomlin's thoughts going into the game last Sunday night with only 2 days to work with Dixon at the helm. :thumbsup: I didn't have a problem with how the game was called then and after reading all of posts in this thread and the others that are diametrically opposite to mine, I still don't have a problem with the way BA called that game.

O Sensei
12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
By that logic then suppose the roles were reversed and you had Ben in there and palko....and only palko backing him up, do you then throw 15 times more, which is a realistic number based on past games, exposing him to potential sacks? Seems to me theres an argument that could be made that a qb is more vulnerable in the collapsing pocket than on the run, especially an athlete like dixon.

O Sensei
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Anyway...what ifs, second guesses, whatever....its second nature to all of us at least at some point. End of topic sounds good.

MongoSteeler
12-03-2009, 03:51 AM
With all the hyperbole tossed around in here about good coaching versus bad coaching coupled with all the "I know football and you don't" and "they didn't know until the last minute" there is still a very important unanswered question lurking out there: It was reported on all week that Ben had a possible concussion and might not play, but it was known for sure that Charlie had a broken wrist and had already been declared out. That begs the question "WHY wasn't Dixon given more snaps during the week even if they thought Ben was going to start?" Did everyone think that if he was able to start that it was impossible for him to get knocked out of this game? Against the Ravens defense? Anyone remember a guy called Brady last year?

IMHO it was bad coaching right from the first practice of the week if they weren't concentrating on getting Dixon up to speed because I'm pretty sure that Ben already knows the offense.

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 08:48 AM
With all the hyperbole tossed around in here about good coaching versus bad coaching coupled with all the "I know football and you don't" and "they didn't know until the last minute" there is still a very important unanswered question lurking out there: It was reported on all week that Ben had a possible concussion and might not play, but it was known for sure that Charlie had a broken wrist and had already been declared out. That begs the question "WHY wasn't Dixon given more snaps during the week even if they thought Ben was going to start?" Did everyone think that if he was able to start that it was impossible for him to get knocked out of this game? Against the Ravens defense? Anyone remember a guy called Brady last year?

IMHO it was bad coaching right from the first practice of the week if they weren't concentrating on getting Dixon up to speed because I'm pretty sure that Ben already knows the offense.

It was reported all week that Ben had passed a very large battery of neurological tests, that he felt fine and was prepared to start Sunday night. The criticism of the coaching staff's decision to give him the majority of reps in practice NOW after the fact begs the question "WHY wasn't ANYONE asking why Dixon wasn't getting more reps last week BEFORE the game?" It's easy to always be right with 20/20 hindsight.

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
This one has outlived its life expectancy as well. We have a game against the Raiders in a couple of days - let's look ahead and not behind. RIP. :tombstone: