PDA

View Full Version : My Questions for the Coaching Staff

SteelStang
11-30-2009, 06:57 AM
Coach Tomlin, why did you draft a QB in the 5th round who ran nothing but the spread in college and then do not use any of those skills that made him a Heisman Trophy candidate?

Coach Arians, DD had a 31 yard run called back and another run for touchdown to take the lead in the 4th quarter yet these are the ONLY 2 runs all game. Why?

Coach Arians, why did you not get DD on the edge more often? Bootlegs, designed rollouts, etc?

Coach Arians, it was obvious that Miller was kept in to protect quite a bit, but why not design more plays for him last night? You could have gone back to that screen, but never did. Speaking of screen passes, you know we can throw those to the backs too.

Coach LeBeau, are you willing to admit that our 4th quarter collapses are a result of our CB's complete inability to cover even average WR's? Follow-up... Anyone else think Ike Taylor is the most overrated DB in the league??? And don't even get me started on Bill Gay.

Coach LeBeau, did you at all think about getting Timmons assigned to Ray Rice, rather than Farrior on the 4th down play? You had to know the Ravens were going to him?

Coach Tomlin, when are you going to fire the special teams coach? Ever thought about just punting the ball out of bounds?

Coach Tomlin, you've got a volatile locker room right now questioning play-calling, sitting BR, etc. What are you going to do about it???

Like all of us, I'm frustrated:banging:

I thought our O-line did a very nice job last night, holding penalties aside. I thought DD was outstanding. I got the feeling he was pretty frustrated as the game wore on that he wasn't able to run the ball more and I couldn't blame him. I think our front 7 was very good last night. Obvious that Smith's absence really hurts, but Keisel can play for me anytime. We need more guys with that kind of motor. Tomlin is realizing now that this will be his greatest challenge and this week against the Raiders is going to go a long way to seeing just how he handles this team.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm sure they'll drop everything to answer this as soon as they see it.

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2009, 07:42 AM
I'm sure they'll drop everything to answer this as soon as they see it.

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
11-30-2009, 08:00 AM
Dixon broke off a few good runs, but let's be honest here. Are you going to utilize Dixon's legs and risk a chance of him getting knocked out of the game and having to rely on Palko?

SteelMember
11-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Leave it to the competition to be the voice of reason. :doh:

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 08:05 AM
Dixon broke off a few good runs, but let's be honest here. Are you going to utilize Dixon's legs and risk a chance of him getting knocked out of the game and having to rely on Palko?

Shhh! That idiot Arians should have ran him, ran him and ran him some more anyway! And if he'd have gotten hurt, it would have been Arians' fault, because he's an idiot! See how it works?

plenewken
11-30-2009, 08:16 AM

Since when do coaches design plays centered around players not getting hurt? Do you imagine Lebeau telling his LBs and DBs, "tackle the guys only if you think you won't get hurt"?

Crow-Magnon
11-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Since when do coaches design plays centered around players not getting hurt? Do you imagine Lebeau telling his LBs and DBs, "tackle the guys only if you think you won't get hurt"?

Are you truly comparing DB's and LB's to starting your (formely) 3rd string QB in a crucial game, with his only real back-up a guy you just signed a few days ago?

Well, I guess you are, but the coaches just didn't see it your way.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 08:23 AM
This is a stupid thread....

FacemeIke
11-30-2009, 08:23 AM
In OT Dixon should have been outside of the pocket and using his legs no question about it. We needed to do anything necessary to get the ball into Reed's range. But I disagree with Ike being over rated. If anything he is the most underrated d-back in the league.

plenewken
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Are you truly comparing DB's and LB's to starting your (formely) 3rd string QB in a crucial game, with his only real back-up a guy you just signed a few days ago?

Well, I guess you are, but the coaches just didn't see it your way.

No coach thinks about injuries when he calls a play. Injuries are by definition unpredictable and they can't be prevented, unless you sit the player.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 08:30 AM

Considering that he wasn't hitting a single thing when trying to throw from the pocket...yes. Both of his big plays were from taking him out of the pocket.

When your season is on the line, you do everything you can to win with the players that are available...every single week.

Personally, I think the Steelers left some bullets in their chamber last night.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 08:33 AM
Considering that he wasn't hitting a single thing when trying to throw from the pocket...yes. Both of his big plays were from taking him out of the pocket.

When your season is on the line, you do everything you can to win with the players that are available...every single week.

Personally, I think the Steelers left some bullets in their chamber last night.

Our season wasn't on the line.

GridironWarrior
11-30-2009, 08:35 AM

Aren't we behind in the Wildcard race though?

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 08:36 AM

You didn't get the memo? That was the season last night. It's over now...time to start looking at the draft.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Aren't we behind in the Wildcard race though?

Are we mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yet?

GridironWarrior
11-30-2009, 08:39 AM
Are we mathematically eliminated from playoff contention yet?

True but each loss only makes things harder for the team. They're right on the bubble.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 08:40 AM

We keep saying that...but the losses keep counting up.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 08:42 AM
We keep saying that...but the losses keep counting up.

When we're mathematically eliminated, then I'll start looking to next year. Not until.

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 08:42 AM
You didn't get the memo? That was the season last night. It's over now...time to start looking at the draft.

Yeah...it's all good. The team is showing plenty of signs of life. Just keep waving your Terrible Towell and chanting "Here we go Steelers Here we go" and the losses, team weaknesses, and 4th QTR collapses will all go away.

The season is slipping away, and unless they get the ship righted, it will be too late.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah...it's all good. The team is showing plenty of signs of life. Just keep waving your Terrible Towell and chanting "Here we go Steelers Here we go" and the losses, team weaknesses, and 4th QTR collapses will all go away.

The season is slipping away, and unless they get the ship righted, it will be too late.

You're right - we should just forfeit the next 5 games and get the best draft pick we can.

KeiselPower99
11-30-2009, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=SteelStang;715248]Coach Tomlin, why did you draft a QB in the 5th round who ran nothing but the spread in college and then do not use any of those skills that made him a Heisman Trophy candidate?How often does the spread offense work in the NFL?

Coach Arians, why did you not get DD on the edge more often? Bootlegs, designed rollouts, etc?I think Arians tries to outthink the Defenses too much and in attemping to do that he outthink himself.

Coach LeBeau, are you willing to admit that our 4th quarter collapses are a result of our CB's complete inability to cover even average WR's? Follow-up... Anyone else think Ike Taylor is the most overrated DB in the league??? And don't even get me started on Bill Gay.Gay plays off his guy and they take advantage of it. Carter is more of a FS playing Troys postion of a rover all world SS. Taylor is the best CB on the team and one of the best man to man guys in the league.

Coach LeBeau, did you at all think about getting Timmons assigned to Ray Rice, rather than Farrior on the 4th down play? You had to know the Ravens were going to him? Timmons was probably on a WR or TE

QUOTE]

BlastFurnace
11-30-2009, 08:47 AM
You're right - we should just forfeit the next 5 games and get the best draft pick we can.

That is not what I am saying. I never said to forfeit anything.

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 08:50 AM

Truth be told, they were in a tough spot last night. Playing your #3 QB (with little practice) on the road against THAT defense is not an enviable position.

They almost pulled one out of their arses.

If Ben can't go next week and with Troy still out, it's going to be tough to win. Having said that, they can still go 4-1 with their schedule...possibly even 5-0 or they could stink it up.

No other teams competing for the wild card spots are a juggernaut either. Jacksonville, Baltimore, Denver all have their issues as well. No one in that group is going 5-0 either.

Nadroj 20
11-30-2009, 10:08 AM

If thats what gives us a chance to beat you guys then yes....he did it once and ran a TD, misdirection play or something in OT would have worked imo the ravens was attaching the ball pretty good and i think a fake might have worked

Cant live in fear about a player possibly going down

Other then not running DD i think arians called a good game for him though

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Actually, I think you CAN "play in fear" in that situation.

If Palko had to come in after being on the team for like 2 days, we basically would have had to hand the ball off 3 times and punt each series. The coaches have GOT to be cognizant of the situation they are in. Obviously they let Dixon run some, but we aren't going to start running QB draws and boots 20 times a game.

Playcalling was fine given the extreme set of circumstances....

Nadroj 20
11-30-2009, 10:47 AM
Actually, I think you CAN "play in fear" in that situation.

If Palko had to come in after being on the team for like 2 days, we basically would have had to hand the ball off 3 times and punt each series. The coaches have GOT to be cognizant of the situation they are in. Obviously they let Dixon run some, but we aren't going to start running QB draws and boots 20 times a game.Playcalling was fine given the extreme set of circumstances....

I agree with that, but i disagree with you can play in fear that just doesnt make sense, your basing your decisions on something that MIGHT happen, in OT they could have done it again, im not saying do it everytime that would be dumb, but they pretty much only did it once and it was successful try it again and tell him to be smart when running and GO DOWN before a hit....i just think getting a player hurt is something you cant worry about if thats the case then they should limit all the WR because who will we play if one of them gets hurt?

It just doesnt make sense to me, other then that BA called a good game im not out to get him

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Having Tyler Palko taking snaps in lats nights game is something to fear.

Nadroj 20
11-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Having Tyler Palko taking snaps in lats nights game is something to fear.

lol ok your right that is true, nothing wrong with having different views on things...lol

SteelStang
11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
I started this thread to merely offer some questions we fans have today after another loss. Let me offer some replies to your comments.

1. I was not suggesting we 'go to the spread.' Because the spread typically relies on a QB who can run, why would you not plan for more designed runs out of our system. Baltimore was coming so hard that a few counters out of the gun would have been perfect. Cripe, even Collinsworth was calling for it and that pains me to admit that.

2. If you are going to play DD and limit his plays to keep him healthy and avoid having to play Palko, then you're in the wrong business. The kid can flat out tip the balance of a game with his legs!! Use his skills and at the very least, roll him out.

3. Ike Taylor has one thing, speed. You talk to any DB coaches and I guarantee they'll tell that he plays the ball as poorly as any DB we've had.

4. Totally agree with BA out-thinking himself. There was an instance in the second half whee we had a 3 and out. 3 straight passes. We were running the ball just fine! Why go to the air 3 straight plays? Over-thinking it that's why.

5. I realize LT was probably locked onto a TE or slot WR, but my point was why not get him on Rice? Did anyone in the stadium NOT think they were going to RR? All they needed was 5 yards and Heap is useless. Seems like you'd want to get our faster LB locked onto RR.

6. BlastFurnace is dead on about this team being in trouble. We can't close on defense, strife in the locker room, doubt about the toughness of the QB, horrible special teams and questionable strategy. It looks as though 4-1 will get us in the playoffs, but suddenly Green Bay looks better and Baltimore and Miami will not be gimmes. We can wave our TT's all we want to, but it's up to Tomlin to get this turned around.

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I6. BlastFurnace is dead on about this team being in trouble. We can't close on defense, strife in the locker room, doubt about the toughness of the QB, horrible special teams and questionable strategy. It looks as though 4-1 will get us in the playoffs, but suddenly Green Bay looks better and Baltimore and Miami will not be gimmes. We can wave our TT's all we want to, but it's up to Tomlin to get this turned around.

And I have faith that Tomlin will get it turned around. That's why he was hired. As far as the strife in the locker room and all that, I think that has been completely blown out of proportion, the same way Hines' reaction to Ben's request for a tall WR was two years ago. That's why I wish Hines would stop talking to the damn media altogether, but he won't, so it's a moot point. Fact is, the margin between winning and losing in this league is razor thin (see how many games the Colts have pulled out of their asses this season as an example), and we're finding ourselves on the other side of things as of late. It's one thing to lose by 21+ every week, but we're losing the kinds of games by a hair this year that we were winning last year by a hair. A couple bounces here and there and we are 9-2/10-1 right now, so I'm not ready to panic quite yet.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 02:30 PM
1. I was not suggesting we 'go to the spread.' Because the spread typically relies on a QB who can run, why would you not plan for more designed runs out of our system. Baltimore was coming so hard that a few counters out of the gun would have been perfect. Cripe, even Collinsworth was calling for it and that pains me to admit that.

2. If you are going to play DD and limit his plays to keep him healthy and avoid having to play Palko, then you're in the wrong business. The kid can flat out tip the balance of a game with his legs!! Use his skills and at the very least, roll him out.

3. Ike Taylor has one thing, speed. You talk to any DB coaches and I guarantee they'll tell that he plays the ball as poorly as any DB we've had.

4. Totally agree with BA out-thinking himself. There was an instance in the second half whee we had a 3 and out. 3 straight passes. We were running the ball just fine! Why go to the air 3 straight plays? Over-thinking it that's why.

5. I realize LT was probably locked onto a TE or slot WR, but my point was why not get him on Rice? Did anyone in the stadium NOT think they were going to RR? All they needed was 5 yards and Heap is useless. Seems like you'd want to get our faster LB locked onto RR.

6. BlastFurnace is dead on about this team being in trouble. We can't close on defense, strife in the locker room, doubt about the toughness of the QB, horrible special teams and questionable strategy. It looks as though 4-1 will get us in the playoffs, but suddenly Green Bay looks better and Baltimore and Miami will not be gimmes. We can wave our TT's all we want to, but it's up to Tomlin to get this turned around.

I disagree with almost every single thing in this post. If this WAS a playoff game, we'd have let Dixon run wild. It was not. A little prudence was called for, and that was TOMLIN's decision, NOT Arians. They let him go a JUST a little, and that was smart...what if Ben is hurt again next week? Would starting Palko next week solve anything? And who plays behind him?

Ike Taylor had a bad game. Period. That is all.

BA did pass-pass-pass ONE SERIES in the game. Bashing Arians is stupid, dismissive, and is getting to the point where it doesn't even warrant a response. EVERYONE wanted us to run more, so the balance tipped in this game to 38 run to 26 pass, and you knuckleheads are now complaining we didn't run ENOUGH?

Heap is useless? Do you know ANYTHING about football?