PDA

View Full Version : A telling stat

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-30-2009, 01:17 PM
listening to Stan and Guys's show this morning and they came up with an very telling stat....

of 38 drives the defense gave up 70 yards or more 44% of the time.

This defense looks old and is killing us the secondary looked lost, can't tackle, gay looked like a keystone cop running like his ass is on fire and going no where. This team can't get off the field on 3rd downs and our offense can't make 3rd downs. I'm getting real tired of losing a lead AND the game with less than 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter. So much for that "band of brothers" it appears this group can't look at each other.

It's my fault we lost I feel so dirty. I picked the rat birds to win yesterday in both pools I'm in. I'm sorry :crying01:

thank goodness for the Penguins it's nice to watch a team that WANTS to win and plays with heart.

madtowndrunkard
11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
listening to Stan and Guys's show this morning and they came up with an very telling stat....

This defense looks old and is killing us the secondary looked lost, can't tackle, gay looked like a keystone cop running like his ass is on fire and going no where. This team can't get off the field on 3rd downs and our offense can't make 3rd downs. I'm getting real tired of losing a lead AND the game with less than 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter. So much for that "band of brothers" it appears this group can't look at each other.

It's my fault we lost I feel so dirty. I picked the rat birds to win yesterday in both pools I'm in. I'm sorry :crying01:

thank goodness for the Penguins it's nice to watch a team that WANTS to win and plays with heart.

What time frame is that? Is that during our 3 game losing streak? A stat like that does not mean much unless you can compare it to what the rest of the league is doing.

I look at points scored and our defense is ranked right near the top of the league. That means #1 our defense is getting it done...just not as pretty as we are used to...and #2 - The NFL is an offensive league. The rules are making it tougher and tougher on defenses. Just look at Harrison...the guy gets mugged every week by opposing OT's and I think he's maybe drew 3 holding calls all year.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
11-30-2009, 01:36 PM
My guess is that this would be the last 38 defensive series.

at this point being #1 in defense means nothing. This team can't get it done, defense, secondary, special teams, offense, can't tackle, coaching sucks breakdowns all around spreading out the finger pointing to everyone as it is well deserved.

The steelers have lost 3 games in a row when was the last time that's happened?

This team can't get it done. period.

revefsreleets
11-30-2009, 02:17 PM
It happened WAAAAAAAY back in....................................2006.

I agree that the D is giving up too many big plays....but that is uncharacteristic. It can be corrected....and how, exactly, are we too old?

7SteelGal43
11-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah well, I have one word to fix our ills on defense..........Troy.

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 02:20 PM

WOW!

:popcorn:

if memory serves me correctly, didn't the team with heart (Penguins) tank it last season and get their coach fired before amazingly turning it on right as the new coach was hired? That team with heart?

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Sounds like someone else is ready to "boycott" the Steelers.....

Dino 6 Rings
11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
I boycott losing!!!

Crow-Magnon
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Thank Jesus you're not a Browns fan. If you were, there'd be a wooden beam with "Brooks Was Here" carved in it and you hanging under it.

Did you watch the game last night? All those hits, those five sacks....that wasn't playing with heart? My God, man! Do you expect the Steelers to win the SB every year?

You are blessed to have a great team with great ownership and a proud tradition. Be disappointed they lost; that's understandable. But your expectations are lofty and a little crazy.

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
I boycott losing!!!

I boycott boycotting!! oh...wait..nevermind

lamberts-lost-tooth
11-30-2009, 02:37 PM
I thought all threads dealing with stats had to end with the poster stating that it was "proof" that Moore is our best RB?

By the way...another telling stat for you. SO FAR this year, we have lost every game in which we scored fewer points than the opponant.

Coincidence??? I think NOT!!!

The_WARDen
11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
I thought all threads dealing with stats had to end with the poster stating that it was "proof" that Moore is our best RB?

By the way...another telling stat for you. SO FAR this year, we have lost every game in which we scored fewer points than the opponant.

Coincidence??? I think NOT!!!

Why so negative? They have also won every game in which they have scored more points than their opponent.

:drink:

stlrtruck
11-30-2009, 03:31 PM
Thank Jesus you're not a Browns fan. If you were, there'd be a wooden beam with "Brooks Was Here" carved in it and you hanging under it. nice pull from Shawshank!

Do you expect the Steelers to win the SB every year?

As a matter of fact, until they are eliminated from the playoffs - YES I DO!

Don't you expect the same from the ravens?

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 05:22 PM
This team can't get off the field on 3rd downs and our offense can't make 3rd downs. I'm getting real tired of losing a lead AND the game with less than 7 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

I really can't say I disagree with this statement. HOWEVER - there is time for our D to try and get it together and when Troy is finally back on the field, I think we'll see a big difference. Troy is such a playmaker and he frustrates the living hell out of opponents' QB's, as they just never know where he's going to be. Though one player does not a team make, Troy is the heart and soul of this D.

ricardisimo
11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Speaking of telling stats, under the heading of "Passes Defensed", Troy (who has been out how many quarters this season?) leads the team with 10, followed by Clark, Carter and Fox... and that's it. No passes defensed by any of our corners. And of course, Troy leads the team in INTs as well, with none by the corners and one by Fox.

Why not move Keyaron to one of the corner spots? :wink02:

Texasteel
11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't think we should forget that the last time the defense played this poorly, yes I said poorly, is when Aaron when out, and he's not coming back this year.

Bluedust
11-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah well, I have one word to fix our ills on defense..........Troy.

Aaron Smith.

devilsdancefloor
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I really can't say I disagree with this statement. HOWEVER - there is time for our D to try and get it together and when Troy is finally back on the field, I think we'll see a big difference. Troy is such a playmaker and he frustrates the living hell out of opponents' QB's, as they just never know where he's going to be. Though one player does not a team make, Troy is the heart and soul of this D.

maybe troy with his quiet demeanor off teh field can get in these guys grills a bit and be that vet that gets'em going. I do not want him back on the field unless he is as close to 100% as possible. i hope he doens rush back to just get hurt again and he is out the year whats left of it. Last night the Lbers looked like they came to play sadly the secondary didnt make it out of the tunnels. They looked confused at least once a series.

willie_district
11-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Speaking of telling stats, under the heading of "Passes Defensed", Troy (who has been out how many quarters this season?) leads the team with 10, followed by Clark, Carter and Fox... and that's it. No passes defensed by any of our corners. And of course, Troy leads the team in INTs as well, with none by the corners and one by Fox.

Why not move Keyaron to one of the corner spots? :wink02:

Not saying that our corners are playing well, but give them a little credit...

According to NFL.com, Ike has 11 passes defensed and Gay has 7.

Mags87
11-30-2009, 11:35 PM
i still think that an elite D needs an anchor, and its more than obvious who ours is. we're in the thick of the playoff hunt without him. not to mention never getting blown out. we've been in a fight every loss. with Troy back i believe its a different game. here we go!

Crow-Magnon
12-01-2009, 07:28 AM
nice pull from Shawshank!

As a matter of fact, until they are eliminated from the playoffs - YES I DO!

Don't you expect the same from the ravens?

Well, let's put it this way. I hope they do....but I really don't expect them to. The only people who truly expect a team to win the Supe every year are the media clowns that polish Brady's knob.

steelerchad
12-01-2009, 07:43 AM
For me, I've seen the Steelers pull it off too many times in the past to give up on them. They always seem to play their best when backs are against the wall. This is still basically the same team that went the distance last year. There are parts of this team that are better than last year's (oline, passing, rushing, punting). There are parts that are worse (turnovers, special team coverage, 3rd down D, Injuries). There is time to fix these problems starting this week. The Steelers can afford 1 more loss and still get in. I think this is possible.

The biggest issue is Polamalu's injuries. All 5 losses have come with him on the sidelines. I don't want to say that 1 man makes a team, but we are clearly a different defense with him on the field. We are still a good D, but we don't get the TO's or big stops without him.

If we can get by Oakland and Cleveland in the next 2 games. Then get Troy back, with a healthy Ben, and win 2 of our last 3 against the Packers, Ravens (both at home) and Dolphins on the road we will get a playoff spot at 10-6.

I would give us a shot against any team in the playoffs when healthy and I think we may be the team any of the high seeds would not want to face in a 1 game winner take all position.

By the way Crow, looking at the Ravens schedule I think it's possible that Baltimore and Pittsburgh take the 2 wildcard spots both at 10-6. If the Broncos drop 2 games Baltimore and Pittsburgh both own the head to head tiebreaker against them.

I can tell you that Cincy would be crapping their pants having to play either team at full strength in a playoff game.

Crow-Magnon
12-01-2009, 07:58 AM
For me, I've seen the Steelers pull it off too many times in the past to give up on them. They always seem to play their best when backs are against the wall. This is still basically the same team that went the distance last year. There are parts of this team that are better than last year's (oline, passing, rushing, punting). There are parts that are worse (turnovers, special team coverage, 3rd down D, Injuries). There is time to fix these problems starting this week. The Steelers can afford 1 more loss and still get in. I think this is possible.

The biggest issue is Polamalu's injuries. All 5 losses have come with him on the sidelines. I don't want to say that 1 man makes a team, but we are clearly a different defense with him on the field. We are still a good D, but we don't get the TO's or big stops without him.

If we can get by Oakland and Cleveland in the next 2 games. Then get Troy back, with a healthy Ben, and win 2 of our last 3 against the Packers, Ravens (both at home) and Dolphins on the road we will get a playoff spot at 10-6.

I would give us a shot against any team in the playoffs when healthy and I think we may be the team any of the high seeds would not want to face in a 1 game winner take all position.

By the way Crow, looking at the Ravens schedule I think it's possible that Baltimore and Pittsburgh take the 2 wildcard spots both at 10-6. If the Broncos drop 2 games Baltimore and Pittsburgh both own the head to head tiebreaker against them.

I can tell you that Cincy would be crapping their pants having to play either team at full strength in a playoff game.

I believe Jacksonville, sitting at the #6 seed, is going to lose to the Texans, Colts and Patriots (all three are AFC teams), so their AFC record of 5-2 isn't going to hold up throughout Week #17. And I think Denver will drop at least two games to Indy and the Eagles, and may split with KC (KC and Denver always play each other tough).

I think it is entirely possible that the Steelers and the Ravens make it in as the #5 and #6 seeds.

stlrtruck
12-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Well, let's put it this way. I hope they do....but I really don't expect them to. The only people who truly expect a team to win the Supe every year are the media clowns that polish Brady's knob.

I don't count the media types when I talk about teams going to the Super Bowl. And unlike teams like the bungals who occassionally put together a good run (like this year) they aren't consistant. The Steelers have been consistant year in and year out which makes me think they can win the Super Bowl every year.

So for me, as a fan, that doesn't change until they are eliminated from the playoffs.

xvdougl
12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Turnovers boys, It's all about the turnovers.

What did you expect when you heard Dennis Freakin Dixon was starting at QB in ratbird land? Oh buy the way Ben took all the snaps with the starters during the week!! Not this game meant anything to Baltimore either. I'm sure they were just fine with those 3 games we played them in 08!

And just to make a little more fun no Troy, no Chris K, no Charlie B, no Aaron S!!! :noidea:

I was thinking we were going down by 14 minimum! If we had Charlie Batch out there we win!

We're making easy for the other team to beat us when we give them the ball.

We do all remember that as defending Super Bowl Champions we also have a giant bullseye.