PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Coach Chopping Block

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, Dick Jauron was the first big HC firing of the season. Who do you think is next? How about position coaches?

For the Steelers, I think I speak for at least of few of us here when I say that Legashitsky needs to go. Everyone else... I think is okay, though they might need to bring in some fresh talent somewhere to help out.

Others...

If the Cowboys falter and don't make the playoffs... or if they do and they choke (as usual) Wade Philips is probably gone.

Eric Mangina is gone. I'm surprised he hasn't been fired already. Not only is he an idiot, but he also appears to be a total asshole. This almost seems like a no-brainer. However, I still can't fathom why he was hired in the first place.

Even if Tom Cable doesn't wind up in jail sometime next year for beating up an assistant, a girlfriend or a girl scout, I don't see him coaching in Jokeland next year. That team has more problems that I can comprehend, but it doesn't help when your coach is a borderline psycho. It also doesn't help when, you know, he's also a bad coach.

Here's a bit of a dark horse candidate... Andy Reid. The Eagles spent so much cash in the offseason trying to buy themselves a Super Bowl... a late season implosion that results in this team missing the playoffs or choking in them could spell the end for Reid.

Oh and of course, Jim Zorn. Although the real problem in Washington is Snyder. But you can't fire the owner.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 03:54 PM
zorn will be canned. can't help but think the bears will make a few changes...maybe not lovie just yet, but some heads should roll in chicago. might be some changes in seattle as well. if jacksonville falls apart down the stretch del rio could be in trouble.

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, things are pretty rotten in Chicago right now. I don't know if it's Cutler, his lackluster receiving corps, the dead running game or the coaches... but that team is looking awful. I still can't believe we lost to them.

Speaking of which, how do you like this statistic. Cutler has only played two games this season where he wasn't intercepted. One was against us, and one was against the Lions. In other words, his two best games were against the team that couldn't win a game last year and the Super Bowl champions. How's that for irony.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Here's a bit of a dark horse candidate... Andy Reid. The Eagles spent so much cash in the offseason trying to buy themselves a Super Bowl... a late season implosion that results in this team missing the playoffs or choking in them could spell the end for Reid.

Would take him and his 5 AFCCG and 1 Super Bowl apperance in a heartbeat. If the iggles are crazy enough to do that, I'd pray that we would land him.

HometownGal
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
I think John Fox just might get a pink slip this season with Cowher waiting in the wings.

Vangina definitely gets the boot. It's a shame about Zorn - Snyder is not only a spoiled, arrogant, whiney titstick of an owner, but is also a coach killer.

Christian Snyder
11-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Would take him and his 5 AFCCG and 1 Super Bowl apperance in a heartbeat. If the iggles are crazy enough to do that, I'd pray that we would land him.
Luckily, I don't think they're that stupid.:thumbsup:

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 07:15 PM
I don't necessarily think Reid is on the hot seat, but...

I lived in PA most of my life, and Eagles fans can be downright psychotic. They literally feel like the league OWES them a Lombardi Trophy. I always tell them "Hey, come over to our side... it's better. We've got six!" But they never listen. And while the fan base doesn't necessarily influence the owner's decisions, it does at least get their attention. If Philly doesn't win one soon, I have a feeling they'll be making some changes somewhere. I mean, when the team on the other side of the state has won the big one more times than anybody and you still haven't gotten one, well...

Christian Snyder
11-30-2009, 07:18 PM
I don't necessarily think Reid is on the hot seat, but...

I lived in PA most of my life, and Eagles fans can be downright psychotic. They literally feel like the league OWES them a Lombardi Trophy. I always tell them "Hey, come over to our side... it's better. We've got six!" But they never listen. And while the fan base doesn't necessarily influence the owner's decisions, it does at least get their attention. If Philly doesn't win one soon, I have a feeling they'll be making some changes somewhere. I mean, when the team on the other side of the state has won the big one more times than anybody and you still haven't gotten one, well...
It's quite possiblethat the only reason the Eagles haven't won a SB is because of the Patriots*. The Patriots* only won by 3 points, I wonder what would've happened had they not been cheating?

KeiselPower99
11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
See ya at the Unemployment office
Eric Mangini Cleveland
Tom Cable Oakland
Jim Zorn Washington

Time to stand up and fight for your job
John Fox Carolina
Perry Fewell Buffalo
Wade Phillips Dallas

On hot seat but will be back in 2010
Lovie Smith Chicago
Gary Kubiak Houston
Norv Turner San Deigo
Raheem Morris Tampa
Jack Del Rio Jax

Angus Burgher
11-30-2009, 11:44 PM
It's quite possiblethat the only reason the Eagles haven't won a SB is because of the Patriots*. The Patriots* only won by 3 points, I wonder what would've happened had they not been cheating?

I think it had more to do with the Eagles running down the clock because McNabb was throwing up all over the field.

As for the Pats, I hate them too, but well... I'm thankful that they kept the Lombardi out of Philly. All my friends who are Eagles fans turned into total douchebags that year. All I heard was "HAHAHA, Steelers suck! They choked! The Eagles are gonna win the Super Bowl!"

And since that time, we've won two, in comparison to their zero. Who's laughing now? :tt03::tt03::tt03:

BrandonCarr39
12-01-2009, 12:06 AM
zorn will be canned. can't help but think the bears will make a few changes...maybe not lovie just yet, but some heads should roll in chicago. might be some changes in seattle as well. if jacksonville falls apart down the stretch del rio could be in trouble.

Lovie's contract doesn't expire until 2011 - Bears management is cheap, Lovie isn't going anywhere.

As for Wade Phillips - personally, I think he gets too much flack. OK, Dallas' woes in Dec are no joke, but Wade IS 30-13 as Cowboys coach(and this is no longer Parcells' team). I agree though, another Dec collapse, and he's gone. And no, they won't have the "But TO was wrecking our locker room" excuse this time around.

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 12:20 AM
Lovie's contract doesn't expire until 2011 - Bears management is cheap, Lovie isn't going anywhere.

As for Wade Phillips - personally, I think he gets too much flack. OK, Dallas' woes in Dec are no joke, but Wade IS 30-13 as Cowboys coach(and this is no longer Parcells' team). I agree though, another Dec collapse, and he's gone. And no, they won't have the "But TO was wrecking our locker room" excuse this time around.

lets see....
at NY - i can see a lose here..., on the road,G men need the win, COLD ...can't help but giggle when remembering romo sitting on the sidelines in pittsburgh.shivering like a dog shittin razor blades
SD - could go either way
at NO - they could win this one....if brees ain't playing ...otherwise ...lose
at WASH - skins played em tough in dallas. ..another cold game...
philly - could go either way

yep ...i could see another december melt down 3 maybe 4 loses...

Angus Burgher
12-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Yeah, I don't think Lovie is going to be gone in Chicago. That team is having a lot of problems and some of the blame does fall on the coaching staff... but I think that Lovie will survive at least one more season.

As for Wade... it's true that he does get a lot of crap simply because his team hasn't been able to win a ring yet... but I don't think he has the spine to really be a great coach. I think that his winning record more has to do with the talent on the team than his ability.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM
See ya at the Unemployment office
Eric Mangini Cleveland
Tom Cable Oakland
Jim Zorn Washington

Time to stand up and fight for your job
John Fox Carolina
Perry Fewell Buffalo
Wade Phillips Dallas

On hot seat but will be back in 2010
Lovie Smith Chicago
Gary Kubiak Houston
Norv Turner San Deigo
Raheem Morris Tampa
Jack Del Rio Jax

Pretty darn accurate I think. Only one is Kubiak, who I think is gone unless the Texans get a wildcard spot. Too many years of not getting over the hump. Man, I could see Shanahan getting that one if he doesnt goto Buffalo. Shanny can improve where his understudy did not.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 10:09 AM

If the Cowboys fold in Dec like a cheap lawnchair.....Wade is out. The question would be then, who is JJ gonna bring in then??

SteelMember
12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
It's a shame about Zorn - Snyder is not only a spoiled, arrogant, whiney titstick of an owner, but is also a coach killer.

I really agree with you here HTG. Zorn was brought in as the OC before they even had a HC inked. And when they didn't get the man they wanted, they just promoted Zorn who not only took on the HC duties, but kept the OC responsibilities and worked with Jason Campbell in QB drills. He really was in over his head, and as a result was pretty much setup for failure. Snyder seems to do everything ass backwards, which is too bad because I think, for the most part, Jim Zorn is a good coach.

SteelMember
12-01-2009, 11:11 AM
If the Cowboys fold in Dec like a cheap lawnchair.....Wade is out. The question would be then, who is JJ gonna bring in then??

There was some buzz at the previously owned auto show. Promises were made.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM

:chuckle: careful, stuff like that will get you ignored. :pin:

BrandonCarr39
12-01-2009, 09:09 PM

FWIW - the Eagles are getting hot despite having numerous injuries(their young guys are stepping up now), and they'll be getting healthy pretty soon as well. I see them winning the NFCE, quite simply, b/c the Reid's strong Dec record speaks for itself.

My guess is that Jason Garrett will likely get the gig if all fails in Dec. From what I understand, Garrett played a large role in getting TO the boot out of Dallas last offseason(reports were that Garrett gave JJ an ultimatum - either he goes, or TO goes). Apparently, Garrett has alot of clout in the organization b/c Jerry respects him quite a bit.

Psyychoward86
12-01-2009, 10:46 PM
For us, Ligasheky needs to go most definitely. Zierlein is would be on the chopping block too, if the O-line men werent blocking proficiently

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Again, if you're going to very lamely mock me for simply reporting what was said and where, please get the characterization right. Trust me, I could literally care less about the act itself, considering the origins, but there's no need to distort facts.

Carry on.

fansince'76
12-02-2009, 11:35 AM

:chuckle: careful, stuff like that will get you ignored. :pin:

Please guys, enough with the thinly-veiled jabs. Thanks. :drink:

Dino 6 Rings
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I heard today that Kubiak is pretty much in a get to the playoffs or pack your bags type of situation now in Houston.

Dino 6 Rings
12-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Del Rio...well that stinks for him because if he can just hang on a couple more seasons he can be the Coach of the Los Angeles Jaguars.

Angus Burgher
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
For us, Ligasheky needs to go most definitely. Zierlein is would be on the chopping block too, if the O-line men werent blocking proficiently

Um, did you watch the Cincy and KC games?

KeiselPower99
12-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Um, did you watch the Cincy and KC games?

Some people are still pissed at him.

Angus Burgher
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I do think the O-Line has improved... but I certainly wouldn't go so far as to call their blocking proficient... not yet, at least. Ben had no time to throw against Cincy... it was the same in KC; the only difference was, KC's pass rush sucked so bad that he still managed to avoid them for most of the game. He nearly took sacks on a few of those TD passes.

I also think that the O-Line is still having trouble with their run-blocking. This is a little bit tougher to gauge considering the side angle that we watch the game from, but Mendy seems to be getting stuffed a lot lately or contained to short runs... sometimes it's his fault but it would help if he had bigger holes to squeeze through.

MasterOfPuppets
12-13-2009, 06:51 PM
lets see....
at NY - i can see a lose here..., on the road,G men need the win, COLD ...can't help but giggle when remembering romo sitting on the sidelines in pittsburgh.shivering like a dog shittin razor blades
SD - could go either way
at NO - they could win this one....if brees ain't playing ...otherwise ...lose
at WASH - skins played em tough in dallas. ..another cold game...
philly - could go either way

yep ...i could see another december melt down 3 maybe 4 loses...

:tap: ....see ya wade...:wave:...............:sofunny:

BrandonCarr39
12-13-2009, 06:52 PM
:tap: ....see ya wade...:wave:...............:sofunny:

That's too bad, b/c I DO like Wade - our Dec woes were happening before he came on board, and it looks like it won't be fixed for quite a while.

MasterOfPuppets
12-13-2009, 07:05 PM
That's too bad, b/c I DO like Wade - our Dec woes were happening before he came on board, and it looks like it won't be fixed for quite a while. 1 for 8 on 3rd down. ... :doh:
the cowboys dec. pattern is just as baffling as the steelers new pattern of choking in the 4th quarter.

MACH1
12-13-2009, 07:09 PM
I heard today that Kubiak is pretty much in a get to the playoffs or pack your bags type of situation now in Houston.

He would make a good OC.

BrandonCarr39
12-13-2009, 07:47 PM
1 for 8 on 3rd down. ... :doh:
the cowboys dec. pattern is just as baffling as the steelers new pattern of choking in the 4th quarter.

Folk missing a 42 yarder at a critical point in the game

Newman NOT jamming his receiver on 3rd and long playing Cover 2

Not being able to punch it in on 1st and goal at the 1 on 4 opportunities

Tony Dungy was right - this team just can't do the little things right - it's not a coaching problem.

KeiselPower99
12-14-2009, 08:39 AM
Raheem Morris is rumored to be on the hot seat.

Angus Burgher
12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
I sincerely hope Wade Phillips gets canned at the end of the season. As much as I would hate seeing the Cowboys turn into a dominant team again, it bothers me more to see someone who has neither talent nor motivation coaching a professional football team. I understand that Jerry Jones wants a "yes man" as HC, but my God, Phillips looks like a zombie out there. I've never seen a coach look so bewildered and distraught on the sidelines as that guy. He looks like he should be doing a commercial for "Oops, I Crapped My Pants."

And in case you missed it, check out that interview with him after last week's game, when reporters asked him point blank, "You say you have a team of winners. Well, what have they won?" And his only response was to talk in circles, repeating that they "won 8 games." Pathetic.

Angus Burgher
01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Well, time for a recap, since it's been so long...

As we know, Jim Mora was shown the door in Seattle, as was the staff in Buffalo... and we all knew Jim Zorn was going down in Washington.

We axed Ligashitsky and Larry Zierlein... no surprise there...

So what now? Will Oakland keep Tom Unstable?

"Mangenius" and Wade Phillips appear to be safe for another year.

The San Diego Chokers actually extended Norv Turner's contract after a miserable performance last weekend. Surprising, considered this is the team that fired a guy for blowing it in the post-season.

Then of course, there are always the Cowher rumors, and the coaches that might get the axe if he decided to return to the NFL. Raheem Morris and John Fox appear to be worried, last I heard.

Also, Jack Del Rio is reportedly not well-liked by the Jaguars organization. I don't think he's going anywhere right now but there's a good possibility that the team will... and if they want to make a statement as a legit NFL team once they move to L.A. (and they will, you can bet on it) they might look to acquire a more successful coach.

Third Rail
11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Hmmm... this thread deserves a bump.

So... Wade is out, and now so is Chilly. Can't say I'm surprised with either of those firings, but I didn't expect either one to happen mid-season.

Since this type of thing happens more often than we ever expect it though, you really have to wonder how Marvin Lewis and John Fox are still getting by. Fox is definitely gone by the end of this season, so Bill Cowher might as well start giving that team weekly coaching tips on Fox NFL Sunday because he's going to be doing it in real life soon enough.

That is of course if the Giants make the playoffs. if they don't, I'm positive Coughlin is out, and if what Bettis said last season is true, The Jaw might be headed to the City that Never Sleeps. That would be my pick, if I was him... I don't see much of an upside to coaching in Carolina, but he does live there, so you know....

Other "hopefuls" for the Chopping Block:

JOSH MCDANIELS, COME ON DOWN! That's right sir, you've managed to take a team that was once a few steps from being a playoff contender and running it straight into the ground! First, you try to trade your franchise QB and then when that doesn't pan out, he gives you a big FU after you attempt to woo him back and demands to be traded anyway. Then you piss off your best WR, who is a douchebag for sure but was well needed on your team. Things cool off and you decide to keep him for a season, but then you decide, "Meh, who needs talent?" and trade him anyway. Then there are your draft choices... most notably Knowshon Merino and Tim Tebow... two guys that you can't figure out how to use and even if you could, they probably would still be mediocre at best anyway. But that's okay! You've got Kyle Orton! A guy who can pass for 5 million yards but is incapable of winning a game! And you have a defense that is Medicare eligible! Seriously McDaniels, how the hell are you still employed?

tube517
11-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Yet another Bellicheat disciple who can't be a head coach.

Hmmm... this thread deserves a bump.

So... Wade is out, and now so is Chilly. Can't say I'm surprised with either of those firings, but I didn't expect either one to happen mid-season.

Since this type of thing happens more often than we ever expect it though, you really have to wonder how Marvin Lewis and John Fox are still getting by. Fox is definitely gone by the end of this season, so Bill Cowher might as well start giving that team weekly coaching tips on Fox NFL Sunday because he's going to be doing it in real life soon enough.

That is of course if the Giants make the playoffs. if they don't, I'm positive Coughlin is out, and if what Bettis said last season is true, The Jaw might be headed to the City that Never Sleeps. That would be my pick, if I was him... I don't see much of an upside to coaching in Carolina, but he does live there, so you know....

Other "hopefuls" for the Chopping Block:

JOSH MCDANIELS, COME ON DOWN! That's right sir, you've managed to take a team that was once a few steps from being a playoff contender and running it straight into the ground! First, you try to trade your franchise QB and then when that doesn't pan out, he gives you a big FU after you attempt to woo him back and demands to be traded anyway. Then you piss off your best WR, who is a douchebag for sure but was well needed on your team. Things cool off and you decide to keep him for a season, but then you decide, "Meh, who needs talent?" and trade him anyway. Then there are your draft choices... most notably Knowshon Merino and Tim Tebow... two guys that you can't figure out how to use and even if you could, they probably would still be mediocre at best anyway. But that's okay! You've got Kyle Orton! A guy who can pass for 5 million yards but is incapable of winning a game! And you have a defense that is Medicare eligible! Seriously McDaniels, how the hell are you still employed?

Third Rail
11-25-2010, 12:27 AM
You've got that right.

Have any of his former cronies been successful head coaches?

ricardisimo
11-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Nope. However, our D-line coach (and assistant head coach) is considered part of the Belichick coaching tree, and when he finally gets called, I expect him to be great.

Third Rail
11-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Possibly. But remember, Dick Lebeau wasn't successful as a head coach, so you never know. Of course, that might have had more to do with the team he was working with.