PDA

View Full Version : which is the BEST offense Arians should run?

tony hipchest
11-30-2009, 07:56 PM
ive read countless times how people hate arians run-run-pass offense or the pass-run-pass, so i was wondering which is the one arians should use?

lets keep it clean.

devilsdancefloor
11-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Whatever is "hot" and depends on the situation in the game. I dont mind taking shots deep, but at times in the 3 losses you walk away scratching your head.

But i would say all the above exepct the yeah & i dont know

edit: wasnt a poll when i answered and if it was i didnt see it :chuckle:

Christian Snyder
11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
It doesn't matter what BA would do they still whine about him.

MACH1
11-30-2009, 11:23 PM
All of them. :chuckle:

tony hipchest
11-30-2009, 11:24 PM
damn, i wish i coulda made this a dual poll and see which one of these "offenses" is most deserved of being sent to the trash bin, altogether.

i dont think arians is beyond reproach like some here do, but i also am curious to see some of the answers from those who simply complain about "run-run-pass", or whatever.

the silence in this poll is deafening. "will the real slim shady please stand up"?

own your gripes, stand by them, and for the purpose of mb dialog offer up a better alternative.

otherwise think twice about posting some generic assed bs.

everyone is tired of plays that dont work. everyone loves plays that work.... we get that.

just, come correct or dont come at all. have a take and dont suck.

*this post not directed to anyone who has posted in this thread to this point (although you come close, jaysee)*

fansince'76
11-30-2009, 11:27 PM
My vote would be "The opposite of whatever Arians called after the fact in 20/20 hindsight," but that wasn't an option. :coffee:

MACH1
11-30-2009, 11:29 PM
You should make a poll after every game to see how many people flip flop.

tony hipchest
11-30-2009, 11:34 PM
My vote would be "The opposite of whatever Arians called after the fact in 20/20 hindsight," but that wasn't an option. :coffee: sure it was...

just click *yeah* :wink02:

MT83
12-01-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't think it matters much what the actual order is, it's a matter of predictability. I feel like I know if the Steelers are throwing or passing on way more plays than I should be able to predict it, and if I notice it, I'm sure an NFL coaching staff studying tapes notice it as well.

Personally, I'd like to see an offense that is balanced and allows Ben (or whoever the QB is) to get the ball out of his hands quickly. Try to pound the ball, and if it works, then great, use the play action fake to their advantage. If it doesn't work, don't abandon it, but don't be so stubborn as to run the ball on the first two downs continuously regardless of success. Let Mike Wallace do his thing deep and let Hines, Heath, and Santonio make intermediate catches and make plays after the catch. Which option does that fall under?

iloveben7
12-01-2009, 12:15 AM
It depends on the situation in the game

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 12:38 AM
i'm confused....:huh: ...is there a first down made in any of these scenerios ??? they say they script the first 15 plays, so i'd go ...pass , run, run, pass, run, pass, pass, run, pass, run, run, run, pass, run, pass..... now thats a freakin game plan right there...:thumbsup: ... hmmmm wonder if i could sell it to mangini ? :scratchchin:

MattsMe
12-01-2009, 12:47 AM
Pass, run, check the SF Gameday thread for next move, lather, rinse, and repeat.

I vote yeah.

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 12:49 AM
what ever happend to all the pissin and moaning about the fullback and the "big back" ? i miss that....:popcorn:

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 12:53 AM
what ever happend to all the pissin and moaning about the fullback and the "big back" ? i miss that....:popcorn:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=715079#post715079

pepsyman1
12-01-2009, 01:47 AM
I don't think it matters much what the actual order is, it's a matter of predictability. I feel like I know if the Steelers are throwing or passing on way more plays than I should be able to predict it, and if I notice it, I'm sure an NFL coaching staff studying tapes notice it as well.

Personally, I'd like to see an offense that is balanced and allows Ben (or whoever the QB is) to get the ball out of his hands quickly. Try to pound the ball, and if it works, then great, use the play action fake to their advantage. If it doesn't work, don't abandon it, but don't be so stubborn as to run the ball on the first two downs continuously regardless of success. Let Mike Wallace do his thing deep and let Hines, Heath, and Santonio make intermediate catches and make plays after the catch. Which option does that fall under?

Well stated. I agree in that we seem very predictable by the alignments we set up in. I'm still aggravated that a standard "I" formation with a fullback can't make it into Arian's gameplan. Now that the offensive line is showing some steadiness and the returned ability to use a pulling guard, using a fullback could also provide some misdirection on some of the running plays as well. I think the reason we have all liked watching Ben in the no huddle is that he has seemed very capable of mixing up the play calling and has gotten a decent mix of run and pass even in short clock situations. I think that's what it really comes down to, having a decent balance and not being so predictable. It is usually very easy to tell whether we are running or passing simply by the formation that Arian's calls. When the line gets to the point that the other teams knows we're gonna run and they still can't stop us, great!..run it down their throats....until that day comes, I don't want them to take one look at us and be able to start eliminating possibilities simply because of who is on the field and where.

solardave
12-01-2009, 03:07 AM
ive read countless times how people hate arians run-run-pass offense or the pass-run-pass, so i was wondering which is the one arians should use?

lets keep it clean.
I really liked the way we used to use the run to set up the pass. I know some will say we had the Bus but I think Mendy is no slouch and can handle 25-30 carries a game.
Most baqcks get betterv as the game wears on but we don't know if we don't try it out.
Hell we know Ben can go no huddle and we'll score. I say pound it out.:tt04:

solardave
12-01-2009, 03:35 AM
damn, i wish i coulda made this a dual poll and see which one of these "offenses" is most deserved of being sent to the trash bin, altogether.

i dont think arians is beyond reproach like some here do, but i also am curious to see some of the answers from those who simply complain about "run-run-pass", or whatever.

the silence in this poll is deafening. "will the real slim shady please stand up"?

own your gripes, stand by them, and for the purpose of mb dialog offer up a better alternative.

otherwise think twice about posting some generic assed bs.

everyone is tired of plays that dont work. everyone loves plays that work.... we get that.

just, come correct or dont come at all. have a take and dont suck.

*this post not directed to anyone who has posted in this thread to this point (although you come close, jaysee)*

Here's my opinion for what it's worth. We don't adjust during a game. It seems more like we give up. We abandon the run way to soon.We take shots down the field on 3rd and long. Take those shots on 1rst down.Let's take what the opposing defense gives us.If it screens throw screens. run early and often. If we get behind we're going to do what BA wants anyway. Mendy runs well to the right. Run to the right 2 straight plays, then take it up the middle.If that hasn't picked up a 1rst down throw a slant to Holmes or Hines.Hell hit Heath over top of the LBs for 10. An example of giving up. Against the Ravens we used the rolling pocket and Dixon hit Holmes for that TD. BA didn't call any more plays like it. Is he afraid to recycle? It's working!! I say BA tried to make Dixon play his system instead of recognizing the QBs abilities and using them to help us win.I see Dixon as Cordell with common sense.We all remember what Cordell could do when his game was on.Dixon could have blown that game open if arians would have let him play to his strength,which is to improvise on the fly. Hell, we lost anyway let the kid have some fun. When Ben is back we get back to smashmouth football on both sides. Pound the Rock and take no prisoners. When they keep putting 8 in the box and can't stop us take the shot downfield when they don't expect it. Our offense is to predictable.

It's like, OK we know that'll work let's try something else. If the something else fails he doesn't go back to what did work he stays with what is not working.

Galax Steeler
12-01-2009, 03:41 AM
I say whatever works at the time. If the running game is working then use more of it. I think it depends on the game situation as well.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Pass, run, check the SF Gameday thread for next move, lather, rinse, and repeat.

I vote yeah.

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner. :laughing:

(I voted yeah too.)

Texasteel
12-01-2009, 07:21 AM
Actually, I think he needs to tackle better.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 07:22 AM
Actually, I think he needs to tackle better.

Yep, and kick it through the back of the EZ on kickoffs more consistently.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 07:27 AM
Yep, and kick it through the back of the EZ on kickoffs more consistently.

And hit a little harder in that open field to force turnovers. :thumbsup:

SteelStang
12-01-2009, 07:39 AM
You can't label an offense 'run or pass.' Running and passing depend on each and every situation throughout the course of the game. If you want to talk about what type of offense then you need to have options like 'west coast' , 'pro-style', 'run and shoot' or 'spread.'

I do not really have a problem with the offense we are running. My problem is with the play-calling and lack of creativity. Would I like to see us line up with a FB once in awhile? Absolutely, especially if we have a lead late in the game, but that isn't how we are currently built so I accept that. BR was drafted after playing in a wide-open offense at Miami so I credit BA and MT for moving to his strengths.

My biggest issue with BA is that he frequently gives up on the run much too soon. I think he gets like fans at times who expect the running game to produce 6-8 yard runs every single time. 3-4-5 yard runs are just as effective because it keeps the LB's and DB's from being able to play pass all the time and keeps play-action alive too. My point is that just because you use a lot of 3-4 WR/TE sets doesn't mean you have to abandon the run.

BA is not the only reason IMO we've lost 3 in a row. Players have to make plays and we are not doing that on either side of the ball. The loss of TP and Smith are obviously taking their toll on our defense as well. Kemo's absence was felt as well on Sunday night.

stlrtruck
12-01-2009, 08:07 AM
Ok really, this is what our season has come to? This type of survey.

What happen to the days of old when logic and substance could be used to discuss the football game? What happen to the days that if we lost we moved on to next week and didn't call for the heads of our OC, DC, or HC? Was it like this when Noll's teams lost a game? Or with Cowher?

Look when it comes to BA calling a game, there's no sure way to make a definitive call against an opponent until we're in the game situation. And while I agree, the play calling and player execution has lacked sufficiently compared to last year, it doesn't mean we're going to have a set system and we really need to stop blaming BA for all the failures but instead look to the 53 men that suit up every Game Day!

Ok, I'm done. Tony you can have your soapbox back now (it's a joke people).

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 08:14 AM

lets keep it clean.

How about the best play for the situation?

How about going with what works until the opponent proves they can stop it?

How about managing the clock a little bit?

How about letting your QB call the plays because you obviously can't?

How about a little more balance to keep defenses honest?

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 08:30 AM
I'd rather wait, see what worked and what didn't, and criticize everything that didn't work after the fact...at least that seems to be the prevailing thought of the anti-BA crowd around here.

Those people were probably scratching their head a little after this loss since they couldn't very well credit Ben with calling the plays that actually worked. I think they just hose to ignore those plays altogether.

Bubby Blister
12-01-2009, 08:33 AM
The best offense Arians should use is the offense that attacks the opposing teams weakness on defense.

Against Cinci (weak against the run) Arians passed.
Against KC (weak against run) Arians passed.
Against Ravens (weak vs pass) Arians ran more plays but did not run Dixon enough

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
How about the best play for the situation?

How about going with what works until the opponent proves they can stop it?

How about managing the clock a little bit?

How about letting your QB call the plays because you obviously can't?

How about a little more balance to keep defenses honest?

How about you get off your hiney and get that promising resume into the Steelers FO? Time's a wastin'. :thumbsup:

Need4Sweed
12-01-2009, 07:02 PM
The offense that doesn't have us in a shotgun, empty backfield on 1st n goal from the 8...lets start with that one.

tony hipchest
07-06-2010, 10:56 PM
i think its good to get a fresh opinion with some of our newer members.

continue voting.

55BaileyFan
07-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Mix it up but running obviously worked since the 70's then keep doing it. Everytime Noll, Cowher and Tomlin went away from that our seasons were not usually as good. Lets get another big back and run the damn ball.

LVSteelersfan
07-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I think the offense is great in between the 20s for the most part. The red zone offense was a disaster last year. Those open backfield sets on third and goal are not effective because they know we are throwing the ball. Disguise it up. Use a FB down there in the red zone PLEASE. Run the ball into the end zone from the 2-3 yard line. But you need a FB to do it, not a TE pretending he is a FB.