PDA

View Full Version : Overlooking the Obvious Costs the Steelers in Baltimore

mesaSteeler
11-30-2009, 10:06 PM
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/category/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/
Overlooking the Obvious Costs the Steelers in Baltimore

Filed Under Pittsburgh Steelers | 1 Comment

The Steelers were at a total disadvantage entering Sunday nightís critical game in Baltimore aganist a Ravens team that was equally as desperate to try and stay in the AFC playoff race. The team was down to their third QB, Dennis Dixon, and still was missing Troy Polamalu on defense.

Not to say that Dixon was the problem, as he ran for a score and threw for another, and actually had the team up 3 with just over 6 minutes left. The defense, which again allowed a fourth quarter comeback, and didnít stop the run as they normally did should squarely be to blame for this one. Anytime you score 17 points in Baltimore, you have to find a way to win.

The issue on this gloomy Monday is how the situation with Ben Roethlisberger was handled. The team and fans felt all week he would play, and it wasnít suddenly till Saturday about 11am that he was ruled out for the huge contest. The story goes that Ben was fine all week, passed all tests, but then told the club he was having headaches on Friday.

It was then that doctors said he shouldnít play, and despite a NBC report that said Roethlisberger begged to play, the team said no.

Thatís where the issue comes in.

The team knew full well that there was a chance, big or small that Roethlisberger would have a setback. Yet instead of spending the week making sure that Dixon got enough reps to make sure he was ready if called upon, they just kept pushing forward that Roethlisberger was going to play.

Then he didnít.

The club also spent time trying out possible emergency QBís Ė Todd Bouman and Patrick Ramsey, yet decided to make Tyler Palko the 2nd string as they pulled him from the practice squad. Ugh.

Hines Ward also shed some light on the way the situation was handled, saying that he felt Roethlisberger should have played. It was in an interview that played before the game where Ward pointed out that heís even played with a concussion.

ďThis game is almost like a playoff game,Ē Ward told NBC-TV in a Saturday interview broadcast last night. ďItís almost a must-win. I could see some players or teammates questioning, like, ĎItís just a concussion. Iíve played with a concussion before.í Itís almost like a 50-50 toss-up in the locker room. Should he play? Shouldnít he play? Itís really hard to say.Ē

It was a must-win. And yet the team seemed to almost play it safe. Bad move.

While the broadcast crew kept harping on how important it was for the Ravens to win the game, no one seemed to mention how big it was for the Steelers to break a two-game losing streak and stay in the race in the AFC North. Now thereís almost no shot for them to win the division, and they are almost going to have for sure win the final five games to have a shot at a wild card.

Mike Tomlin and the organization botched this one. I know itís never easy to lose your two best players and win, but in the case of last night, they gave themselves a great shot, only to see it again slip away due to all the things that have haunted them all year Ė attention to detail.

Another slip up, and you can kiss the season good-bye.

stlrtruck
12-01-2009, 08:55 AM
I'm sorry but regardless of what situation the team is in for the playoffs, I don't think a player should put their long term health in jeopardy over one game, or one season!

I'd rather have a player, any starting player, healthier over a longer period of time. And Ben had nothing to do with the poor tackling on defense. He had nothing to do with a few dropped INTs.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 09:00 AM
The issue on this gloomy Monday is how the situation with Ben Roethlisberger was handled. The team and fans felt all week he would play, and it wasn’t suddenly till Saturday about 11am that he was ruled out for the huge contest. The story goes that Ben was fine all week, passed all tests, but then told the club he was having headaches on Friday.

NUH-UH! They knew Dixon was gonna start all week! Collinsworth said so! :rolleyes:

The team knew full well that there was a chance, big or small that Roethlisberger would have a setback. Yet instead of spending the week making sure that Dixon got enough reps to make sure he was ready if called upon, they just kept pushing forward that Roethlisberger was going to play.

Once again, it's so easy to be a HC with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. Where were all these genius bloggers and why were they not questioning Roethlisberger taking the majority of the reps in practice all last week before the plug was pulled Saturday morning?

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Where were all these genius bloggers and why were they not questioning Roethlisberger taking the majority of the reps in practice all last week before the plug was pulled Saturday morning?

They were polishing off their darts and out buying fresh poison.

Some of these people just crack me up. :laughing:

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 09:28 AM
Ben planned on playing....as of Thursday, he said he had passed "1000's of tests".

This was a total shock to the coaching staff, and NO ONE could have anticipated this...

Steelers>NFL
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
Even if Ben played, the Steelers would not have won the game.
Defense let the team down. As well as always - BA.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Even if Ben played, the Steelers would not have won the game.
Defense let the team down. As well as always - BA.

I doubt that...The Rats defense is a shadow of it's former self. We were running the ball well, and the line did a reasonably good job blocking. i think with Ben and a full playbook at his disposal, we'd have laid 35 on Baltimore and salted the game away by the 3rd quarter.

Steelers>NFL
12-01-2009, 11:29 AM
I doubt that...The Rats defense is a shadow of it's former self. We were running the ball well, and the line did a reasonably good job blocking. i think with Ben and a full playbook at his disposal, we'd have laid 35 on Baltimore and salted the game away by the 3rd quarter.
Whe was the last time a Ben lead team had the game won by the 3rd quarter and coast to victory by a large margin?

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Whe was the last time a Ben lead team had the game won by the 3rd quarter and coast to victory by a large margin?

Chargers game, despite the fact that STs and the D did their damnedest to piss that one away too. 28-0 in the 3rd quarter theoretically should be enough to coast, but our #1 D and not-so-special teams let it become way more interesting than it should have been. IIRC, Arians was blamed for that, too.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Did you watch the game?

Did you think the Ravens were somehow manhandling us on offense? We lined up in obvious run formations and ran successfully all night. Do you somehow think that we would have played WORSE with Ben in the game?

I don't look at other games to determine the flow of that game...the offense played exceptionally well Sunday night, and had we not been handcuffed by a limited playbook and a 3rd string QB, I think we would have broken out offensively...

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm sorry but regardless of what situation the team is in for the playoffs, I don't think a player should put their long term health in jeopardy over one game, or one season!

I'd rather have a player, any starting player, healthier over a longer period of time. And Ben had nothing to do with the poor tackling on defense. He had nothing to do with a few dropped INTs.

Every single game players put their "long term health" at risk. That's part of why they make millions of $ to play a football game.

dcsteel5804
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
To blame this loss on anyone other than the defense is absurd. Dennis Dixon and the offense came out and put up 17 points on the board, more than I thought they'd be capable of. Again, we had a lead near the end of the ball game and the defense blew it. When i saw Ray Rice go out in motion on that 4th down play, being followed by James "Slow Old Man" Farrior, I knew it was over. The tackling that followed the blown coverage was equally as bad. As far as I remember Bruce Arians and Dennis Dixon weren't on the field when that transpired.

Of course, Dixon did throw the game losing pick in OT, but, he was bound to make a big mistake eventually. Personally, I was very satisfied with his level of play. Also, I'm not a big BA lover, but you cant say anything was his fault. The offense came out and established the run, we had a big play or two off the play action, the only thing I wish he did a little more of was run the football with Dixon.

stlrtruck
12-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Every single game players put their "long term health" at risk. That's part of why they make millions of $ to play a football game.

While I agree with your statement overall, I'm speaking more to the concussed individuals who if not taken care of properly face severe medical conditions later in life.

Crow-Magnon
12-01-2009, 02:19 PM

I'm sorry, but there is a vast difference between being 95%-100% healthy and getting popped in the knee and suffering a season or career-ending injury on a fluke play, and playing while under the known after-effects of a concussion and risking possible long-term effects to your brain and cognititive thinking.

And they make millions because the owners make millions because people are willing to pay $$$$$$ to watch them.

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm sorry, but there is a vast difference between being 95%-100% healthy and getting popped in the knee and suffering a season or career-ending injury on a fluke play, and playing while under the known after-effects of a concussion and risking possible long-term effects to your brain and cognititive thinking.

And they make millions because the owners make millions because people are willing to pay $$$$$$ to watch them.

Bravo!! Never thought I'd be agreeing with a Ravens' fan but your posts make
3000% more sense than alot of the Steelers' fans on here.

What is the friggin world does how much $$ they earn have to with jeopardizing their health/careers??

The make that $$$ because they can...don't be jealous.

:popcorn:

SteelCityMom
12-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Like Crow said, there's a huge difference between a fluke play (such as a knee or back injury) ending your career and scrambling your brain. Doesn't matter how much money they make. Hindsight is 20/20 and if doctors knew decades ago what they know now about head injuries, players like Mike Webster might not have died crazy and living under a bridge in the city because they took a few too many shots to the head.

Indo
12-01-2009, 04:04 PM
Somehow Ben sitting out when he is OBVIOUSLY experiencing post-concussion symptoms is not acceptable to people. But Ryan Clark sitting out when he may have had a problem is OK?

Both should have sat out. Period.
It's a game.

It just happens that some people are talented enough to get paid to play it.
(Wish I was one of them)

We CANNOT expect those that do have the talent to forfeit their health just because we are willing to pay to see them play. Period.

Those of you who think otherwise are being a bunch of selfish bastards. Just because you want to see them play? What do they owe you?
Look at your wife/husband; children; parents; etc. Would you be willing to give ANY of that up because I want you to be willing to do so? Who the eff am I, you say? Who the eff are you, they say...
Would you give any of it up so you can get a nice shiny ring or put your fingerprints on a 30 lb. hunk of metal?

Priorities, people