PDA

View Full Version : Don't Blame Arians' Play-Calling Against Baltimore

mesaSteeler
11-30-2009, 10:08 PM
Don't Blame Arians' Play-Calling Against Baltimore
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/11/30/dont-blame-arians-play-calling-against-baltimore/#cont
Posted Nov 30, 2009 10:00PM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

Bruce AriansThere are a lot of legitimate criticisms that can be thrown at Steelers offensive coordinator (starting with the toss sweep to Mewelde Moore on third and two against the Chiefs). But Steelers fans who are criticizing his play-calling against the Ravens seem to be asking too much of the man.

If the Steelers had known on Wednesday that Dennis Dixon would be starting, Arians could have crafted a gameplan to take advantage of Dixon's mobility. But the Steelers didn't figure out that Roethlisberger wouldn't play until Friday at the earliest (the team didn't find out until Saturday). By that point, the gameplan had already been fully installed.

Making it even worse, Dixon didn't even become the No. 2 quarterback until this week. So understandably there were no plays in the playbook designed to take advantage of Dixon's strengths.

Even with very little time to get Dixon ready Pittsburgh did seem to add one play--a run-pass option--for Dixon which worked for a 24-yard rushing touchdown. But in general Arians was calling play from a playbook designed for Roethlisberger--a veteran with two Super Bowl rings--with a second-year quarterback who had thrown one NFL pass.

Considering all that, getting Dixon to go 12-for-26 for 145 yards with a touchdown, an interception and 27 yards rushing is a pretty impressive effort by Arians.

fordfan485
11-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Bullshit, how hard is it to call a bootleg playaction pass with an option. Its not like it hasnt been around forever.

tony hipchest
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM
But in general Arians was calling play from a playbook designed for Roethlisberger--a veteran with two Super Bowl rings--with a second-year quarterback who had thrown one NFL pass.

kinda gotta call :bs: on this one. word is arians told dixon to pick out his 15 favorite plays. somebody has GOT to take accountability for the 3rd and long rb draw.

if dennis asked for this, this is where the coach steps up and says "im sorry son, but that play sucks. i mustve forgotten to rip it out of cowhers old playbook when i streamlined and trimmed it down 3 years ago."

if arians put it in, he should have realized that that is an old page from cowherball when they have a 15 point lead and that is has only been ran successfully 3 times since '92- once with eric pegram in '95 and twice by verron haynes in '03 and '04.

3 times in 1 freaking game. :doh: atleast fake it and run dennis up the middle or on an option. i guess that would look too much like "wildcat" for his liking and stir up controversy.

MACH1
11-30-2009, 10:27 PM
kinda gotta call :bs: on this one. word is arians told dixon to pick out his 15 favorite plays. somebody has GOT to take accountability for the 3rd and long rb draw.

if dennis asked for this, this is where the coach steps up and says "im sorry son, but that play sucks. i mustve forgotten to rip it out of cowhers old playbook when i streamlined and trimmed it down 3 years ago."

if arians put it in, he should have realized that that is an old page from cowherball when they have a 15 point lead and that is has only been ran successfully 3 times since '92- once with eric pegram in '95 and twice by verron haynes in '03 and '04.

3 times in 1 freaking game. :doh: atleast fake it and run dennis up the middle or on an option. i guess that would look too much like "wildcat" for his liking and stir up controversy.

Ahh come on....
It was a great call, they just didn't execute.

Football 101

Steelerfreak58
11-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Defense played like crap and gave up huge plays. Gay was getting picked on and I don't know wtf Taylor was thinking last night.

cubanstogie
11-30-2009, 10:41 PM
I am a pretty big Bruce Arians supporter but the last few drives really had me frustrated. Why were we constantly trying to throw it downfield. Dixon is not Ben, the offense needed to be tailored to Dixon. Dixon played well don't get me wrong, but we got outcoached in the second half. I liked the fact that we tried to run the ball, they had to respect that but the drop back pass plays with no boot leg with option was crazy. It was just a matter of time before Dixon made a mistake. You can't really blame him for the pic, you can't expect a guy starting his first game to make that read. The DE dropped into coverage and Dixon never saw him. I can't believe Dixon did not run more, no trick plays. We were not going to beat the Ravens with our 3rd sting QB without thinking outside the box. I don't blame BA for the loss, that was the worst tackling by a Steelers team I have ever seen.

MasterOfPuppets
11-30-2009, 10:44 PM
i wonder if since dixon is now the number 2, if they will put in plays just for him ? i don't buy into the whole, who are you gonna take off the field crap. the dude runs like a freakin deer...get him involved in the game plan. they're on the outside lookin in...what do they have to lose?

Shellshock
11-30-2009, 10:48 PM
I remember a great LB stating "if the Offense gives 17 points we will win". The defence lost this game not BA
"

"
'
'
"

tony hipchest
11-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Ahh come on....
It was a great call, they just didn't execute.

Football 101funny how that play has been an epic fail in pittsburgh for almost 20 years and all of a sudden, someone thought a 2nd year qb getting his first real live game action was gonna execute it... you figure the 1st 2 failed attempts woulda been a clue.

taking a freaking knee woulda been smarter (and lost less yards).

also, isnt running willie parker every third series, putting moore in on every third and long, and using moore in the 2 minute drill getting a bit predictable? every other team scouts. do the steelers not self scout?

i know its a formula that has worked in the past, but the true formula is to stay ahead of the curve, and not become stale or bland.

tony hipchest
11-30-2009, 10:56 PM
I remember a great LB stating "if the Offense gives 17 points we will win". The defence lost this game not BA
"

"
'
'
"thats no excuse.

the team lost this game (and the 2 before). from the coaches all the way down the line.

MACH1
11-30-2009, 11:03 PM
What I noticed with willie in it seemed to thow things off lil a bit. And they tried to pass more with him in.

I thought they should of mixed up first down a bit more in the first half.:noidea:

austinfrench76
11-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Arians definately wears this one. I don't bash him much, actually think he is a decent O Coordiantor but not using Dixon's talent was his fault,. EVERY time that Dixon ran, he picked up big yards. He was obviously struggling in the 2nd half and yet NO effort by Arians to help Dixon out. Not to mention the way he handled the final 2 minutes of the 1st half, WTF!!!!!! What;s funny is that we still had a chance to win the game!!! It's a shame that Arians didn't use Dixon a little more to exploit his ability. man, we could have won that game by 2 scores.

varmintjcl
11-30-2009, 11:51 PM
Wonder what the other team would think if Dixon & Ben were both in on the same play?

MarsRover
11-30-2009, 11:54 PM
I swear we ran the ball like...EVERY SINGLE TIME on first down. If the average fan can predict plays with startling accuracy, I'm sure the guys getting paid millions can figure it out.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Yep, didn't see that coming....

tony hipchest
12-01-2009, 12:04 AM
the saints play calling tonight was superb, why can't BA ever call a game like that? he does once every blue moonwell their head coach, sean payton, was a hell of an offensive coordinator and HC. he's pretty much had a top notch offense since his rookie season.

mike tomlin, on the other hand was one hell of a defensive coordinator and HC. weve pretty much been the best defense in the league since his rookie season PLUS have won a superbowl.

i guess you pick your poison. :hunch:

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 12:10 AM
Arians definately wears this one. I don't bash him much, actually think he is a decent O Coordiantor but not using Dixon's talent was his fault,. EVERY time that Dixon ran, he picked up big yards. He was obviously struggling in the 2nd half and yet NO effort by Arians to help Dixon out. Not to mention the way he handled the final 2 minutes of the 1st half, WTF!!!!!! What;s funny is that we still had a chance to win the game!!! It's a shame that Arians didn't use Dixon a little more to exploit his ability. man, we could have won that game by 2 scores.

Question: (on why they didn’t go back to the design run with Dixon)

Mike Tomlin: We did. We didn’t get the opportunity. We wanted to pick our spots, like I said earlier. The defense understood the talent, his skill set. They know that he can run, and often times they were brining multiple people off the right side of our formation. In the event that we ran boots and nakeds, they saw we ran boots several times in the game, and he had to pull up. So, we just couldn’t call it repeatedly, because they’re professionals, too, and they prepare.

http://news.steelers.com/article/113698/

How much more plainly and by whom does it need to be said before it sinks in?

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 12:19 AM
arians. and since when does tomlin call the plays? and how do you know hes not lying about "we did"? coaches always spew out bullcrap to the media to move on to the next question

Uh, newsflash - HE'S THE HEAD COACH. And if coaches always "just spew out crap just to move onto the next question," then why did Arians' admission that "he got greedy" in a postgame HC a couple of weeks ago get treated like the gospel and quoted ad nauseam here? Yeah, I know - the defense shits the bed, Arians' fault. The STs shit the bed, Arians' fault. "Arians' fault" is pretty much the pat answer for every issue with the team. He's the quick and easy scapegoat that requires no critical thought whatsoever.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 08:32 AM
Uh, newsflash - HE'S THE HEAD COACH. And if coaches always "just spew out crap just to move onto the next question," then why did Arians' admission that "he got greedy" in a postgame HC a couple of weeks ago get treated like the gospel and quoted ad nauseam here? Yeah, I know - the defense shits the bed, Arians' fault. The STs shit the bed, Arians' fault. "Arians' fault" is pretty much the pat answer for every issue with the team. He's the quick and easy scapegoat that requires no critical thought whatsoever.

:applaudit: :applaudit: :applaudit:

Now Tomlin is a liar. :rolleyes: When will all of this lunacy around here stop? :banging:

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I actually LIKE the draw play we ran (I call it a wrap draw, as in the quarterback "wraps the ball around the RB). I wish:
A) We ran it before lats night and
B) We didn't run it multiple times last night

That can be an effective play down the road. Last night it was just 3rd down fodder setting us up for punts.

Also, to clarify, in the situatio at the end of the first half, Arians doesn't just get to make that call on his own. He 100% for SURE consulted with Tomlin, and Tomlin had the final say....probably something like "Do we run it out or try and get 3?", to which Tomlin probably thought and said "Run it out".

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 09:57 AM
How anyone could watch that game and think the play calling was good is insane.

Putting the fate of the game on to Dixon's arm after establishing the fact that Mendy and Dixon ran with success is just ridiculous. Dixon could not read the Ravens pass defenses. The Ravens showed no ability to catch Dixon on the run. Dixon should have attempted a run on every drive opportunity we had.

Watching Arians call a game is like watching my 12 year old son play Madden....except my son at least has the brains to keep going with what works.

Dixon should have been picked off twice. Their DB's were jumping routes like they knew the play that was called. The Ravens knew Dixon could not hit a moving WR in a zone defense. So the obvious routes were going to be short and quick...which made it very easy for their DB's to jump those routes which was why Dixon was picked off. It was clear that the Ravens Db's had our passing game figured out in the 2nd half. It was also clear that they could not stop our running game.

Imagine the Falcons not running with Vick as their QB. That would be the equivalent of what Arians tried to do w/ Dixon. difference being that Dixon was making his first NFL start. My guess was Arians thought process was this.... " any sane OC would be running the ball 90% of the time w/ Dixon making his first NFL start....That's exactly what the Ravens are expecting.....especially after seeing that they can't stop our run.....so if the game is on the line we'll let Dixon win the game with his arm....The ravens will never expect it." friggen brilliant.

This is not hind sight thinking either. Ask any sane person prior to that game and they'd all say...USE Dixon's amazing speed!! Give them a heavy dose of Mendy....if they can't stop it the Ravens are TOAST. The ravens could not stop it......yet Arians took the path of most resistance and set us up to lose. Note I didn't even bring up the fact that once again Arians was throwing bombs w/ Dixon at QB when the obvious choice was to continue running the ball and let Dixon improvise w/ his legs. You can't defend it. Anyone that does only exposes the fact that they are stupid.

Bubby Blister
12-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Coordinator Bruce Arians firedEmail Print Share Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland coach Butch Davis fired three of his offensive assistants on Monday, including coordinator Bruce Arians.

Arians, running backs coach Todd McNair and quarterbacks coach Carl Smith were let go by Davis, who hired all three in 2001 when he got the Browns' job.

The dismissals are the first moves in what is expected to be a busy offseason for Cleveland, which dropped to 5-11 after going to the playoffs last season.

Following Sunday's 22-14 win in the season finale at Cincinnati, Davis shouldered some blame for the Browns' dismal year, saying he had "let this team down a little bit."

On Monday, he spread some of that blame around, but insisted the firings were not a rash response to a bad season.

"This is not a knee-jerk reaction," Davis said. "This is a three-year broad spectrum look at the whole thing offensively, the growth and the development."

Davis, who has two years left on his contract and may get an extension this winter, is 21-27 in his three seasons.

This is the second straight year that he has fired one of his coordinators immediately after the season. Following the Browns' loss in the AFC playoffs at Pittsburgh in January, defensive coordinator Foge Fazio was fired and replaced by Dave Campo.

The dismissal of the 51-year-old Arians has been expected for weeks.

Cleveland's offense was supposed to be the team's strongest unit this season. However, injuries across the offensive line and inconsistency from quarterbacks Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb led to the offense dropping in several key statistical categories.

The Browns fell from No. 23 to No. 26 in total yardage, went from No. 18 to No. 25 in passing and scored just 15.9 points per game after averaging 21.9 in 2002.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Coordinator Bruce Arians firedEmail Print Share Associated Press

BEREA, Ohio -- Cleveland coach Butch Davis fired three of his offensive assistants on Monday, including coordinator Bruce Arians.

Arians, running backs coach Todd McNair and quarterbacks coach Carl Smith were let go by Davis, who hired all three in 2001 when he got the Browns' job.

The dismissals are the first moves in what is expected to be a busy offseason for Cleveland, which dropped to 5-11 after going to the playoffs last season.

Following Sunday's 22-14 win in the season finale at Cincinnati, Davis shouldered some blame for the Browns' dismal year, saying he had "let this team down a little bit."

On Monday, he spread some of that blame around, but insisted the firings were not a rash response to a bad season.

"This is not a knee-jerk reaction," Davis said. "This is a three-year broad spectrum look at the whole thing offensively, the growth and the development."

Davis, who has two years left on his contract and may get an extension this winter, is 21-27 in his three seasons.

This is the second straight year that he has fired one of his coordinators immediately after the season. Following the Browns' loss in the AFC playoffs at Pittsburgh in January, defensive coordinator Foge Fazio was fired and replaced by Dave Campo.

The dismissal of the 51-year-old Arians has been expected for weeks.

Cleveland's offense was supposed to be the team's strongest unit this season. However, injuries across the offensive line and inconsistency from quarterbacks Tim Couch and Kelly Holcomb led to the offense dropping in several key statistical categories.

The Browns fell from No. 23 to No. 26 in total yardage, went from No. 18 to No. 25 in passing and scored just 15.9 points per game after averaging 21.9 in 2002.

Wow, how relevant. :yawn:

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM

Putting the fate of the game on to Dixon's arm after establishing the fact that Mendy and Dixon ran with success is just ridiculous. Dixon could not read the Ravens pass defenses. The Ravens showed no ability to catch Dixon on the run. Dixon should have attempted a run on every drive opportunity we had.

Watching Arians call a game is like watching my 12 year old son play Madden....except my son at least has the brains to keep going with what works.

Dixon should have been picked off twice. Their DB's were jumping routes like they knew the play that was called. The Ravens knew Dixon could not hit a moving WR in a zone defense. So the obvious routes were going to be short and quick...which made it very easy for their DB's to jump those routes which was why Dixon was picked off. It was clear that the Ravens Db's had our passing game figured out in the 2nd half. It was also clear that they could not stop our running game.

Imagine the Falcons not running with Vick as their QB. That would be the equivalent of what Arians tried to do w/ Dixon. difference being that Dixon was making his first NFL start. My guess was Arians thought process was this.... " any sane OC would be running the ball 90% of the time w/ Dixon making his first NFL start....That's exactly what the Ravens are expecting.....especially after seeing that they can't stop our run.....so if the game is on the line we'll let Dixon win the game with his arm....The ravens will never expect it." friggen brilliant.

This is not hind sight thinking either. Ask any sane person prior to that game and they'd all say...USE Dixon's amazing speed!! Give them a heavy dose of Mendy....if they can't stop it the Ravens are TOAST. The ravens could not stop it......yet Arians took the path of most resistance and set us up to lose. Note I didn't even bring up the fact that once again Arians was throwing bombs w/ Dixon at QB when the obvious choice was to continue running the ball and let Dixon improvise w/ his legs. You can't defend it. Anyone that does only exposes the fact that they are stupid.

Nope. Lots of typed words here, though...and the spelling and grammar was reasonably sound.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 10:07 AM

I know Tomlin is just a liar and all, but for what it's worth:

Question: (on why they didn’t go back to the design run with Dixon)

Mike Tomlin: We did. We didn’t get the opportunity. We wanted to pick our spots, like I said earlier. The defense understood the talent, his skill set. They know that he can run, and often times they were brining multiple people off the right side of our formation. In the event that we ran boots and nakeds, they saw we ran boots several times in the game, and he had to pull up. So, we just couldn’t call it repeatedly, because they’re professionals, too, and they prepare.

http://news.steelers.com/article/113698/

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 10:08 AM

Do you honestly believe the Rats DC didn't do his homework prior to the game? :banging: This would have worked, that would have worked and round and round on the never-ending merry-go-round we go. :blah::blah::blah: This Monday morning QB'ing around here is getting to the point of being nauseating. Arians called it conservatively and cautiously because of Dixon's lack of experience behind center and not risking injury and thus having to rely upon Palko - a QB with 2 days of playbook study and practice. I have absolutely no issues with that game plan. Wake up and smell the coffee. Arians did NOT set anyone up to lose. For the bazillionth time - the Steelers D, and particularly the secondary, gave yet another game away in the 4Q. Unfortunately, once again, it was to a divisional rival.

Steelers>NFL
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM

I agree with your assesment. Arians did not call a good game.
Late in 4th and in OT, first down - run, second down - run, third down - pass (empty back field which clearly shows pass 100%). Did this couple of times. WTF! :banging:
Just pathetic. :mad:
BA flat out needs to go. Already please!

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 10:32 AM
I agree with your assesment. Arians did not call a good game.
Late in 4th and in OT, first down - run, second down - run, third down - pass (empty back field which clearly shows pass 100%). Did this couple of times. WTF! :banging:
Just pathetic. :mad:
BA flat out needs to go. Already please!

How'd that ONE pass that Dixon threw turn out.

Did you even READ what he posted?

He said Dixon threw too much, and you're saying he didn't throw enough, yet you agree with his assessment?

Indo
12-01-2009, 10:42 AM

Not trying to be critical here, but it will sound that way----

First---in 110 posts you have never (to my memory---perhaps I am wrong) had anything positive to say about the Steelers. Why is that?

Second---have you ever played the game? Your expectation of what a 3rd string QB should be able to do with essentially 2 days of preparation is simply not realistic.
Nor is your expectation of how quicly the OC can change the whole gameplan.
Dixon, with 48 hours preparation CANNOT be compared to Vick with the Falcons. OK. Both are fast. So is Usain Bolt. You want to put him in too?

Any SANE person would say, " I would Love to use Dixon's speed, but if he gets hurt we are fkked. We have no other person who can play QB (Palko doesn't even know the footwork yet, much less anything else. Ben is still recovering from a concussion, and despite the fact that he has shoulder pads on, he ain't going in).

Don't give me any BS about "you can't worry about getting hurt..."You're right. IF this was the playoffs. But the goal here is to GET to the playoffs---as healthy as possible. Keeping Dixon from taking too many hits is the only way to do that right now.
Stop thinking with your testosterone.

HometownGal
12-01-2009, 10:43 AM
How'd that ONE pass that Dixon threw turn out.

Did you even READ what he posted?

He said Dixon threw too much, and you're saying he didn't throw enough, yet you agree with his assessment?

Save your font, revs. Just like the other Arians bashers around here, they are blinded by hatred and can't see two inches in front of them much less engage in a rational football discussion. Who the hell do they think called that Dixon run which resulted in a TD? :banging: :banging: :banging:

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Do you honestly believe the Rats DC didn't do his homework prior to the game? :banging: This would have worked, that would have worked and round and round on the never-ending merry-go-round we go. :blah::blah::blah: This Monday morning QB'ing around here is getting to the point of being nauseating. Arians called it conservatively and cautiously because of Dixon's lack of experience behind center and not risking injury and thus having to rely upon Palko - a QB with 2 days of playbook study and practice. I have absolutely no issues with that game plan. Wake up and smell the coffee. Arians did NOT set anyone up to lose. For the bazillionth time - the Steelers D, and particularly the secondary, gave yet another game away in the 4Q. Unfortunately, once again, it was to a divisional rival.

BS....

#1 you do not work a game plan to ensure a players safety....that is beyond stupid. To suggest even such a theory is even dumber.

#2 The idea that they never had an opportunity to run Dixon is ridiculous. We could run Mendy, Parker, and Moore....but Dixon didn't have opportunities? HUH? So I guess when Dixon did run the opportunity was there? The coaches knew what defense the Ravens were going to run before they called the play? How about dropping back in a pass formation....then running? Or maybe fake a hand off to Mendy and Dixon run the opposite way? Maybe instead of running draw plays....maybe fake the draw and let Dixon take off?

The defense held our opponents to 17 points. Not bad at all. Now consider if our offense would have actually drove down the field 1 or 2 more times and eaten up clock, the Ravens might have scored even less points. Arians most definitely did set us up to lose. He consistently puts our offense in a position to fail. Monday morning QB, my ass. Anyone with a brain would have been saying this on Sunday morning before the game....run Dixon and Mendy....and do it all night. If the defense holds up and the Ravens can't stop our run....we win PERIOD.

Indo
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
BS....

#1 you do not work a game plan to ensure a players safety....that is beyond stupid. To suggest even such a theory is even dumber.

#2 The idea that they never had an opportunity to run Dixon is ridiculous. We could run Mendy, Parker, and Moore....but Dixon didn't have opportunities? HUH? So I guess when Dixon did run the opportunity was there? The coaches knew what defense the Ravens were going to run before they called the play? How about dropping back in a pass formation....then running? Or maybe fake a hand off to Mendy and Dixon run the opposite way? Maybe instead of running draw plays....maybe fake the draw and let Dixon take off?

The defense held our opponents to 17 points. Not bad at all. Now consider if our offense would have actually drove down the field 1 or 2 more times and eaten up clock, the Ravens might have scored even less points. Arians most definitely did set us up to lose. He consistently puts our offense in a position to fail. Monday morning QB, my ass. Anyone with a brain would have been saying this on Sunday morning before the game....run Dixon and Mendy....and do it all night. If the defense holds up and the Ravens can't stop our run....we win PERIOD.

BEYOND STUPID would be getting our ONLY QB hurt

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 11:04 AM
One more time:

Tomlin:
(on why they didn’t go back to the design run with Dixon) “We did. We didn’t get the opportunity. We wanted to pick our spots, like I said earlier. The defense understood the talent, his skill set. They know that he can run, and often times they were brining multiple people off the right side of our formation. In the event that we ran boots and nakeds, they saw we ran boots several times in the game, and he had to pull up. So, we just couldn’t call it repeatedly, because they’re professionals, too, and they prepare.”

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Not trying to be critical here, but it will sound that way----

First---in 110 posts you have never (to my memory---perhaps I am wrong) had anything positive to say about the Steelers. Why is that?

Second---have you ever played the game? Your expectation of what a 3rd string QB should be able to do with essentially 2 days of preparation is simply not realistic.
Nor is your expectation of how quicly the OC can change the whole gameplan.
Dixon, with 48 hours preparation CANNOT be compared to Vick with the Falcons. OK. Both are fast. So is Usain Bolt. You want to put him in too?

Any SANE person would say, " I would Love to use Dixon's speed, but if he gets hurt we are fkked. We have no other person who can play QB (Palko doesn't even know the footwork yet, much less anything else. Ben is still recovering from a concussion, and despite the fact that he has shoulder pads on, he ain't going in).

Don't give me any BS about "you can't worry about getting hurt..."You're right. IF this was the playoffs. But the goal here is to GET to the playoffs---as healthy as possible. Keeping Dixon from taking too many hits is the only way to do that right now.
Stop thinking with your testosterone.

Welli Mr Rogers....since you are apparently the "positive attitude police" I will say Yes I have actually talked about some good things that our team has done....numerous times I've mentioned that I think the Steelers have more TALENT then any team in the league. That's a pretty POSITIVE statement don't you think?

I agree...Dixon is a 2nd year QB with little time to prepare.....so why the F@#$ is Dixon throwing bombs or attempting to win a game with his arm? Please explain that....like you said he had no time to prepare....he clearly could not read a zone defense.

Still no one can explain why Dixon was not running more. Did you not see his speed? Did the ravens even come close to catching him? I know I'm sooooo crazy to suggest running Dixon WAY more then we did. Why would we do that.....because the Ravens thought we would do it? huh? Fastest guy on the field....has the ball in his hands on every snap...yet he runs only once. No one can justify that. he did throw the ball 26 times.....maybe if 6 of those were Dixon runs we would have won the game?

2nd and 6 and driving....Mendy is running all over the Ravens....our O-line is getting push.....Arians calls for a bomb! Now it's 3rd and 6 with a 2nd year QB who like you said was not prepared. That's what I call putting him in a bad position. I wonder if Dixon could have gained 5 yards when it was 2nd and 6? Or maybe Mendy maintains that 4 YPC average....and it's 3rd and 2? Bad game management to say the least. I guess what gets me is that I thought steeler fans knew football... How anyone can defend that playcalling is beyond me.

BTW I did play football for 7 tears....6th grade till 12th. I was a QB and a DE. I played varsity all 4 years in high school. We ran the wish bone and didn't lose a game in 2 - 1/2 years. It was a lot of fun actually. I was not a great QB...but not horrible either .....I had a hard time seeing over the O-line and I wasn't very fast on my feet. But I could throw the ball and we ran most of the time. I loved playing defense way more then offense. What that has to do with our play calling I don't know....but since you asked.

Indo
12-01-2009, 11:08 AM
One more time:

Tomlin:
(on why they didn’t go back to the design run with Dixon) “We did. We didn’t get the opportunity. We wanted to pick our spots, like I said earlier. The defense understood the talent, his skill set. They know that he can run, and often times they were brining multiple people off the right side of our formation. In the event that we ran boots and nakeds, they saw we ran boots several times in the game, and he had to pull up. So, we just couldn’t call it repeatedly, because they’re professionals, too, and they prepare.”

WAIT!!! You mean he ACTUALLY said this?
I thought he was just lying to the media; telling them what we want to hear...

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 11:11 AM
BEYOND STUPID would be getting our ONLY QB hurt

You play the game to win. That was a must win game.

If you are afraid to get hurt while running....then we should bench Mendy till the playoffs....the difference between him and parker are night and day. Using your logic it was also very stupid to use Troy P like we did. Now he's hurt and we are stuck with Carter. We should have not played Troy till late in the season and kept him deep so he didn't risk injury tackling a RB. Yea that's a good idea!!!! :rofl:

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 11:12 AM
No, that was NOT a must win game.

A playoff game is a must win game. If that was playoff game, Ben and Troy would've played.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 11:14 AM
You guys are thining too small.........I blame Arians for Global Warming and the Worldwide Economic crisis. :banana:

Rushing the ball for around 150 yards is what you have to do with an inexperienced QB that many thought was just gonna be a WR or KR.:doh: and he almost pulled it off.

Indo
12-01-2009, 11:15 AM

A playoff game is a must win game. If that was playoff game, Ben and Troy would've played.

Thanks for responding Revs...I'm just getting a headache dealing with these twentysomethings

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 11:17 AM
One more time:

Tomlin:

BS

That's what that is. It's also called an excuse.

No one said to run Dixon over and over again. But more then once might have been a good idea.....after all Dixon threw the ball 26X..... We handed the ball to our RBs 35 times...... Call me crazy but I think we could have thrown in a handful of Dixon designed runs in there. I also find it interesting that he said the opportunity was not there. It was there the time Dixon did run? How did Arians know the Ravens defense was going to give us an opportunity to run Dixon on that play? I always thought you ran the plays on the defense...and create your own opportunities. When Dixon was picked off in OT....that clearly was not a opportune time to throw the ball....but we did anyway. I think Tomlin was just spewing BS to reporters because who cares...they are reporters.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 11:18 AM
You guys are thining too small.........I blame Arians for Global Warming and the Worldwide Economic crisis. :banana:

Rushing the ball for around 150 yards is what you have to do with an inexperienced QB that many thought was just gonna be a WR or KR.:doh: and he almost pulled it off.

NEVER said he was' Only going to be a WR or KR".

I said he should have been utilized in that fashion instead of riding pine.

If you're going to attempt to mock me, at least get the characterization you are trying to mock correct.

One of the other problems i have with some of the general nitwittery around here is that I'm quite sure HAD we ran Dixon more, and he got injured, the same jackasses who are now saying he didn't run enough would be asking "WHY was Dixon running so much?".

That's the kind of thinking you get from people who form their entire argument based on hindsight...

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 11:18 AM

So you are saying we should not play to win the game? OK

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 11:20 AM
BS

That's what that is. It's also called an excuse.

No one said to run Dixon over and over again. But more then once might have been a good idea.....after all Dixon threw the ball 26X..... We handed the ball to our RBs 35 times...... Call me crazy but I think we could have thrown in a handful of Dixon designed runs in there. I also find it interesting that he said the opportunity was not there. It was there the time Dixon did run? How did Arians know the Ravens defense was going to give us an opportunity to run Dixon on that play? I always thought you ran the plays on the defense...and create your own opportunities. When Dixon was picked off in OT....that clearly was not a opportune time to throw the ball....but we did anyway. I think Tomlin was just spewing BS to reporters because who cares...they are reporters.

Holy shit....I have seen some stupid people say some stupid things on this board, and I have seen some stubborn people not back off the stupid shit they've said, but you're taking this to new lows....

You're on ignore too...your awful posts are literally sapping IQ points out of my head.

Steeldude
12-01-2009, 11:38 AM
madtown, just ignore revefsreleets. he goes from thread to thread attacking people personally. don't feel alone. there are tons of members on here who see he is a troll.

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Holy shit....I have seen some stupid people say some stupid things on this board, and I have seen some stubborn people not back off the stupid shit they've said, but you're taking this to new lows....

You're on ignore too...your awful posts are literally sapping IQ points out of my head.

You should know stupid pretty well....you are an expert in the field.

Your IQ points don't have much to spare....you might want to pull up your pants, put the glue away, and step away from the key board.

Indo
12-01-2009, 11:43 AM
So you are saying we should not play to win the game? OK

Dude, (may I call you dude?)

You need get your application in to the Steelers' home office 'cause you obviously have it all figured out. If I were you I would submit one for HC, OC, QB coach and, possibly ST coach. While you're at it, you might take a shot at Colbert's job, too.

Your conspiracy theory is just laughable...

"It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood..."

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 12:03 PM
Dude, (may I call you dude?)

You need get your application in to the Steelers' home office 'cause you obviously have it all figured out. If I were you I would submit one for HC, OC, QB coach and, possibly ST coach. While you're at it, you might take a shot at Colbert's job, too.

Your conspiracy theory is just laughable...

"It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood..."

Conspiracy theory? What conspiracy theory? The guy in the grassy knoll? I think the Mob actually killed Kennedy.....that conspiracy theory?

Indo
12-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Conspiracy theory? What conspiracy theory? The guy in the grassy knoll? I think the Mob actually killed Kennedy.....that conspiracy theory?

THIS conspiracy theory:

This isn't the only time you've said this in this thread---but I'm not gonna waste my time finding all of your posts which essentially are attempting to call BS on what Tomlin said.

The one where Tomlin just says things that reporters want to hear, "..because who cares...". If you REALLY think that then you just don't understand Tomlin at all. If anything, he's the ONE guy who mans-up and takes ALL the blame for what happens on the field.

Gettin' a headache from this one---done with it.
I'll be waiting to see how you do with the gameplanning when you get the job

madtowndrunkard
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
THIS conspiracy theory:

This isn't the only time you've said this in this thread---but I'm not gonna waste my time finding all of your posts which essentially are attempting to call BS on what Tomlin said.

The one where Tomlin just says things that reporters want to hear, "..because who cares...". If you REALLY think that then you just don't understand Tomlin at all. If anything, he's the ONE guy who mans-up and takes ALL the blame for what happens on the field.

Gettin' a headache from this one---done with it.
I'll be waiting to see how you do with the gameplanning when you get the job

I've never questioned anything Tomlin has said prior to that comment. To say we had no opportunity to run Dixon other then the one time is not only laughable it is ridiculous to even say. I don't think I need to explain why.

Anyway you obviously don't understand the meaning of the word "conspiracy" :rofl:

Indo
12-01-2009, 03:17 PM
*sigh*

You are rolling on the floor laughing at the assumption I don't know what "conspiracy" means? Ok, Junior.

I suggest you go read the definitions---all of them. Then, when you're done, come back here and try to figure out which one applies. Once you have done that, you should ask yourself why on earth you would talk definition-smack when your own usage and grammar is incorrect. I won't point out where---you can figure that out for yourself.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conspiracy

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 09:39 AM
*sigh*

You are rolling an the floor laughing at the assumption I don't know what "conspiracy" means? Ok, Junior.

I suggest you go read the definitions---all of them. Then, when you're done, come back here and try to figure out which one applies. Once you have done that, you should ask yourself why on earth you would talk definition-smack when your own usage and grammar is incorrect. I won't point out where---you can figure that out for yourself.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/conspiracy

Why are you still bothering? The only thing worse than an ignorant fool is an ignorant fool who is under the mistaken impression that he's actually NOT ignorant nor a fool at all...

plenewken
12-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Defense played like crap and gave up huge plays. Gay was getting picked on and I don't know wtf Taylor was thinking last night.

While it's true that our DBs didn't play well, the offense lost the game Sunday, not the defense.
We did win the toss in overtime didn't we? So we had the ball and we didn't make the plays to put us in a position to win the game with a FG when it was crucial. A good offense doesn't need more than 1 drive to win a game in overtime.

Nadroj 20
12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
While it's true that our DBs didn't play well, the offense lost the game Sunday, not the defense.
We did win the toss in overtime didn't we? So we had the ball and we didn't make the plays to put us in a position to win the game with a FG when it was crucial. A good offense doesn't need more than 1 drive to win a game in overtime.

Our Defense gave up 44 yards on 4th and 5 when we were up.....:noidea:

Seems to me they let the ravens score more points then our O and they gave up big plays in the worse situations.....17 points with limited playcalling and our 3rd string QB is probably better then most people thought and our D was suppose to play at their best to help us win and they didnt....

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 11:10 AM

The offense, with a 3rd stringer behind center and without Kemo, put up 17 points on a Rats D that is aging, but is still a shade of purple or two above decent.

The defense, on the other hand, shit the bed - again - and allowed Flacco and the Rats to eat up the clock and march down field at will to put them in a position to score not only the tying FG when we had a 17-14 lead with a little under 2 minutes left in the game. No way in hell the vaunted Steelers D of last season and the past couple of seasons does that. The bed-shitter with the most rancid odor in that game (as well as 4 other games this season) is the Steelers D, not the Steelers O. :banging: :banging:

spyboots
12-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I DO blame Arians. Things that work are always forgotten when we get to the 4th quarter. Some of the plays he comes up with are real head-scratchers. It's almost as if he is thinking, "Well, they'll expect us to do something that works and won't be expecting this, so we'll do it instead." Then it doesn't work. duh

SteelStang
12-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Why is it that some of you cannot accept that there are those of who see MULTIPLE reasons as to why this team has lost 3 in a row and 5 over all? For the record, I do not want to see BA fired, I merely have a difference in opinion on how he has called plays recently and how he used DD Monday night. I also believe our defense is just as much at fault as our ST and offense.

While NFL games are increasingly won and lost by just 2-3 plays a game, no one should ever place blame or give credit to just one player or coach. That's why it is a TEAM game.

T.Richardson
12-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Seriously?

I m seriously getting frustrated with you people...

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Seriously?

I m seriously getting frustrated with you people...

I don't get frustrated anymore, TR. I need some humor in my life right now and reading some of this drivel - and replying - provides comic relief. :laughing:

Indo
12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I don't get frustrated anymore, TR. I need some humor in my life right now and reading some of this drivel - and replying - provides comic relief. :laughing:

Sometimes I'm laughing so hard I can't even type a reply! :chuckle:

solardave
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM

I agree. dennis pick out you 15 favorite plays and we'll quit using the ones that work!!!!:banging:

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 04:12 PM
Sometimes I'm laughing so hard I can't even type a reply! :chuckle:

At times I laugh so hard I almost cry and God knows, I've done enough crying in the last 7 weeks.

Though I respect everyone's opinions, sometimes I just can't help myself. Lordy! :chuckle:

MongoSteeler
12-03-2009, 06:04 AM
In the past 4 and 3/4 regular seasons games including our loss the the Ravens on Sunday Night, our defense gives up an average of 21 points per game which is up a couple of points from the end of last regular season, our offense scores an average of 23 points per game which has stayed flat for the past 2 and 3/4 regular seasons.

With the emphasis that the league has put on opening up the passing game, IMHO it is acceptable and to be expected for the defense to fall off 2 points per game especially with Troy out. But what should also be expected with the same emphasis appling to our Offense as our Defense is that we should not be flat lined at 23 points even with Ben missing this last game

Our defense played to their average and did a reasonable job, the offense did not play to our average and have not been able to increase the average even with the long ball attitude that has been adopted this season.

With last years # 1 defense dropping to # 3 with out it's quarterback for a large part of the season it would be unrealistic to hang the blame on them when in a season of opened up offense our Offense has failed to improve over the last 2 3/4 seasons. If our Offense had improved it's average by the same amout of points that the defense has slipped, Sundays game without Ben would not have mattered as we would have been sitting at 8 and 3 now.

As Bruce Arians is the OC, the blame must rest squarely on his shoulders for this failure to improve.

I'm not saying that I don't like him or that his play calling is bad or that we need to fire him.I'm only saying that the lack of progress on offense is not helping our cause and ultimately the responsibility for that must be on him.

We did not know if Ben was going to be able to play in this game from the moment that he took the knee to the head, we did know however, that Charlie Batch was not going to play from the day after he broke his wrist. To spend all of our practice time on a quarterback, our starter, who knows the offense inside and out and who is going up against one of the toughest opponents that we play every year without preparing our backup is just plain incompetent. Had they been preparing for the very possible fact that Ben would have been knocked out of the game for at least a series of plays, Dixon would have had more plays available to him and been at least 3 days more ready to play.

steeldawg
12-03-2009, 07:54 AM
We had the ball 1st and 10 midfield in OT , BA cant put together a series of plays to get 20 yards to put us in field goal range to win the game. Instead on 2nd and 6 we throw a bomb incomplete to mike wallace. That is the fault of the play calling there is no reason to run that play when all we need is 2 first downs to win the game.

Texasteel
12-03-2009, 08:06 AM
We had the ball 1st and 10 midfield in OT , BA cant put together a series of plays to get 20 yards to put us in field goal range to win the game. Instead on 2nd and 6 we throw a bomb incomplete to mike wallace. That is the fault of the play calling there is no reason to run that play when all we need is 2 first downs to win the game.

I think that is a valid point, but it isn't any bigger of a mistake than putting a LBer on who may be the Rats best receiver one on one, when it was 4th and 5.

Nadroj 20
12-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I think that is a valid point, but it isn't any bigger of a mistake than putting a LBer on who may be the Rats best receiver one on one, when it was 4th and 5.

That was Ray Rice LBer's usually match up with RB's but all in all your right i think giving up that huge play when it was 4th and 5 is a bigger mistake and is the only reason there was an OT, that play doesnt happen i say we are pretty comfortable with that lead.

Texasteel
12-03-2009, 09:03 AM
That was Ray Rice LBer's usually match up with RB's but all in all your right i think giving up that huge play when it was 4th and 5 is a bigger mistake and is the only reason there was an OT, that play doesnt happen i say we are pretty comfortable with that lead.

Yes, but we are hammering BA for what we are calling situational football. So in the situation of a 4th and 5 shouldn't Rice, or maybe I should say the middle, be better accounted for, particularly when he when in motion.

You got my point though. I don't think we can blame any one person for this loss. All the coaches made mistakes, on both teams, and several of the players made mistake. To point at BAs plays, which I thought he did a good job, as the reason for the loss is not only unfair, but unreasonable. But this is just my opinion.

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 09:16 AM
Yes, but we are hammering BA for what we are calling situational football. So in the situation of a 4th and 5 shouldn't Rice, or maybe I should say the middle, be better accounted for, particularly when he when in motion.

You got my point though. I don't think we can blame any one person for this loss. All the coaches made mistakes, on both teams, and several of the players made mistake. To point at BAs plays, which I thought he did a good job, as the reason for the loss is not only unfair, but unreasonable. But this is just my opinion.

Would've been nice not to give up 17 yards on 3rd-and-22 the play before as well.

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 09:23 AM
We did not know if Ben was going to be able to play in this game from the moment that he took the knee to the head, we did know however, that Charlie Batch was not going to play from the day after he broke his wrist. To spend all of our practice time on a quarterback, our starter, who knows the offense inside and out and who is going up against one of the toughest opponents that we play every year without preparing our backup is just plain incompetent. Had they been preparing for the very possible fact that Ben would have been knocked out of the game for at least a series of plays, Dixon would have had more plays available to him and been at least 3 days more ready to play.

He passed every neurological test he was given all week, and he was medically cleared to play all week until Saturday. There was every indication he was good to go all last week until Saturday morning. Sorry, but you can't lay that one on Arians. And another thing, if it was so obvious that this was the course of action that should have been taken, why wasn't it suggested here (or for that matter, anywhere else) last week?

The_WARDen
12-03-2009, 09:30 AM
He passed every neurological test he was given all week, and he was medically cleared to play all week until Saturday. There was every indication he was good to go all last week until Saturday morning. Sorry, but you can't lay that one on Arians. And another thing, if this was such an obvious course of action that should have been taken, why wasn't it suggested here last week?

Forget it, some people just can't wrap their head around the fact that Ben was starting up until Friday or so when he started having headaches.

:noidea:

The_WARDen
12-03-2009, 09:32 AM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Man, this is some good stuff...I was having a crappy morning too. Thanks for the laugh!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Indo
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM

It's my opinion, too
It was a team loss---too many collective mistakes at crucial points in the game

T.Richardson
12-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Would've been nice not to give up 17 yards on 3rd-and-22 the play before as well.

Would have, but Arians playcalling ruined it. The Offense is to blame.

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I think this thread has more than outlived its life expectancy. RIP. :tombstone: