PDA

View Full Version : offense vs defense

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 10:07 AM
I was just curious with all the talk about offense not producing and whatnot..

The offense ranks 15th is scoring at 22.5 ppg which is actually better than last year's pace.

Looking at the defense, it is tied for 8th at 18.5 ppg which is roughly 4.5 ppg off of last year's pace. Last year's ppg was very good so to expect them to do that again was asking a bit much. It would at least help explain losing some close games that last year they would have won.

Looking at 2008:

The offense was 20th at 21.7.
The defense was 1st at 13.9.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
What's our PPG allowed without all the backbreaking cheap TDs we've given up on returns off of turnovers and ST miscues?

tyler289
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Last year, we walked a fine line between winning and losing. 4 points is huge for the defense. Combine that with some costly turnovers by the offense and some injuries and you have a 6-5 team.

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 10:26 AM
That's the difference IMO. Take away the cheap TDs in the 2nd Bungle game and the KC game and maybe that's 2 more wins right there.

I don't know if Yahoo factors ST scores against the defense to be honest.

BlastFurnace
12-01-2009, 10:28 AM
That's the difference IMO. Take away the cheap TDs in the 2nd Bungle game and the KC game and maybe that's 2 more wins right there.

I don't know if Yahoo factors ST scores against the defense to be honest.

If the ball doesn't go through Minnesota RB Chester Taylors hands......

You can't play the "if" game. We are 6-5 and still have an opportunity. That's where we stand.

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 10:31 AM

You can't play the "if" game. We are 6-5 and still have an opportunity. That's where we stand.

I said MAYBE...and if Taylor catches that maybe then maybe that's a loss.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Well, we gave up 4 Td's on ST's. Add in the XP's and that's 28 points.

28/11 games =2.54 points a game.

Sadly, there have been a total of 13 KR's for TD's this year...nearly a quarter of them have been on the Steelers...

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM

If they would've called the blatant block in the back on Harvin's KR for a TD....

Kvnfaber
12-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Counting all non offensive touchdowns this year I believe it has been 8 or 9. With 8 that would be 56 points.

204 totals points minus 56 non offensive=148

148/11= 13.45

So technically our defense is allowing 13.45 pts a game. Thats why looking at the stat of points per game against can be misleading.

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 11:42 AM
Counting all non offensive touchdowns this year I believe it has been 8 or 9. With 8 that would be 56 points.

148/11= 13.45

So technically our defense is allowing 13.45 pts a game. Thats why looking at the stat of points per game against can be misleading.

to be fair, how many non offensive TDs did they have last year? That would have to be factored in for a comparison.

steelerjim58
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM

148/11= 13.45

This is what I have been trying to get across on another thread. The d has played well enough for the Steelers to have won every game. They can only expected to do so much. Granted the end of game drives stand out, but thay have played well as far as keeping the other team off the scoreboard overall.

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
This is what I have been trying to get across on another thread. The d has played well enough for the Steelers to have won every game. They can only expected to do so much. Granted the end of game drives stand out, but thay have played well as far as keeping the other team off the scoreboard overall.

So, if the offense has played well enough and the defense has played well enough...that leaves just one facet of the team as the culprit!

steelerjim58
12-01-2009, 12:14 PM
So, if the offense has played well enough and the defense has played well enough...that leaves just one facet of the team as the culprit!

I don't know that I would say that the offense has played well enough in every game, obviously they haven't. Just as I have been trying to argue that the defense has, I realize that the offense can't be expected to put up 30 everey game. Although I do believe the talent is there to do that. But there is so much inconsistency on offense. But if your defense is only giving up on average 13 points a game, if you are 6-5 there some big problems somewhere with the team.

steelerjim58
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM
The most points scored against Steelers this year was 28, 7 of those as the result of the strip of Logan. Then the Chargers recovered an onside kick which for some unknown reason the Steelers weren't set up for. Giving the Chargers a short field to work with. Next was 27 against the Chiefs, 7 on a kickoff return. 3 after the int return put them at first and goal.

The_WARDen
12-01-2009, 01:42 PM
I don't know that I would say that the offense has played well enough in every game, obviously they haven't. Just as I have been trying to argue that the defense has, I realize that the offense can't be expected to put up 30 everey game. Although I do believe the talent is there to do that. But there is so much inconsistency on offense. But if your defense is only giving up on average 13 points a game, if you are 6-5 there some big problems somewhere with the team.

well, the offense is scoring more this year than last year...and if the defense isn't the problem....then.....

T.Richardson
12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
well, the offense is scoring more this year than last year...and if the defense isn't the problem....then.....

its Arians fault.

steel striker
12-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Special teams and, not being able to put teams away late in games have left us @ 6-5. Where last year we found ways to win games late and, this year it is the other way around.

eafratitpm3
12-02-2009, 01:04 AM
I believe both the Offense and Defense are both 6-5 so it really doesn'tmatter.

tony hipchest
12-02-2009, 01:10 AM
if youre 7 years old and your parents divorce, does it really matter whose fault it is? the pain is still the same.

this is a tiny microcosm of that analogy.

MattsMe
12-02-2009, 01:20 AM
if youre 7 years old and your parents divorce, does it really matter whose fault it is? the pain is still the same.

this is a tiny microcosm of that analogy.

Well I was 7 years old when my parents divorced (really was), and I blame Arians.

The_WARDen
12-02-2009, 08:25 AM
its Arians fault.

he really should have let Logan run more on his returns...that's his strength.