PDA

View Full Version : Remember guys, it's only a game.

GridironWarrior
12-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Sure these 5 losses our team have suffered sting a little. But let's not get bent out of shape. You win some you lose some. You can't win them every year. These players are human and for ever reason seem to be struggling this year. Just remember Football is a game. There are way more important things in life to get upset about.

No matter how much you dislike a certain player or coach, all the yelling in the world isn't going to get the Front Office or Coach to do anything. These guys aren't video game designer that take request from the fans. So just sit back and enjoy the ride no matter where it goes.

BlastFurnace
12-01-2009, 09:55 AM
Sure these 5 losses our team have suffered sting a little. But let's not get bent out of shape. You win some you lose some. You can't win them every year. These players are human and for ever reason seem to be struggling this year. Just remember Football is a game. There are way more important things in life to get upset about.

No matter how much you dislike a certain player or coach, all the yelling in the world isn't going to get the Front Office or Coach to do anything. These guys aren't video game designer that take request from the fans. So just sit back and enjoy the ride no matter where it goes.

:applaudit:

You're exactly right. At t he end of the day, the 53 guys we cheer for every week don't make a bit of difference in our lives.

SteelGhost
12-01-2009, 10:06 AM

You're exactly right. At t he end of the day, the 53 guys we cheer for every week don't make a bit of difference in our lives.

+ 1 :applaudit: :tt03:

Christian Snyder
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
+1 to GridironWarrior and BlastFurnace.

GridironWarrior
12-01-2009, 01:54 PM
LOL I guess we are the only ones who feel this way?

mopit55
12-01-2009, 02:04 PM
we remember guys they win two super bowl recently but the futur is now and let them retire.farrior and townsend was great but now we must draft a good inside linebacker and a shut corner.

steeltheone
12-01-2009, 02:27 PM

Losing is not an option!

stlrtruck
12-01-2009, 02:58 PM

You're not the only ones! :thumbsup: :drink:

truesteelerfan
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
It may only be a game, but for some of us its one of the few things we look forward to every week. And for the benefit of the people around us, we're a lot more fun after a W than an L.

GridironWarrior
12-01-2009, 05:15 PM
It may only be a game, but for some of us its one of the few things we look forward to every week. And for the benefit of the people around us, we're a lot more fun after a W than an L.

But donít you have family? I know my wife and 9 month old daughter are what I look forward toward more. Especially around the holiday times. Iíve been a Steelers fan for a long time myself but there are more important things out there. There is no way Iím going to be in a foul mood after they a lose game. That wouldnít be fair to my wife, daughter or any of my family members.

solardave
12-01-2009, 05:22 PM

Yeah but can you say all this 5 minutes after the game is over and we blew another one?

At the end of the day I agree.It's just a game but right afterwards I'm pissed, unless of course we win. It's called being a diehard fan.:tt:

GutterflowerSteel
12-01-2009, 05:43 PM

Well said. As diehard Steelers fans, we're a little spoiled because this franchise has such a winning tradition. Sure, I'm as upset as anyone else when we lose - but then I get over it. Winning isn't a given. I look forward to the start of every season and hate the long offseason - the best time of year is watching our Steelers play every week - good or bad :tt02:

Crow-Magnon
12-01-2009, 05:49 PM
Like I've been trying to tell some of you guys and gals, there are fans of some franchises that would kill their parents and their first-born children to have a team with a 6-5 record and a shot at a wildcard spot in December. The problem is that you've been spoiled by having a team that consistently plays well enough to either win a division title or compete for a wildcard spot, with a year here or there where they finish just outside of making the playoffs.

Seriously, can you imagine being a Lions fan? Or a Browns fan? Think of how many teams have never won a Super Bowl, or even worse, never even played in one?

SteelCityMom
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
But donít you have family? I know my wife and 9 month old daughter are what I look forward toward more. Especially around the holiday times. Iíve been a Steelers fan for a long time myself but there are more important things out there. There is no way Iím going to be in a foul mood after they a lose game. That wouldnít be fair to my wife, daughter or any of my family members.

I agree with you here...although I think sometimes my daughter (who is 7, and LOVES watching the Steelers and Pens) takes losses a little bit harder than I do lol. She has even taken to booing and shaking her fists at the TV when the other team scores. Stuff like that makes losing a little easier to take lol. It's just too cute.

hindes204
12-01-2009, 05:57 PM

Well said :thumbsup:.....these past couple of months being deployed forced me to put things in perspective. I have deployed before, but this was the first time since being married......football is just a game, family is the most important thing in life (and i miss them dearly).......I am a Die Hard fan, born and raised in the heart of Pittsburgh, with a family full of die hards, and will always get pumped for the game, and yell at the tv, and wave my towel until my arm is sore, but at the end of the day, its just a game

steel striker
12-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Sure I want our guys to win every week but, I also use the steeler games to escape the real world for about three hours every Sunday. I follow the steelers like crazy and, my wife says I'm a rabbid fan of the steelers.

X-Terminator
12-01-2009, 11:18 PM

Y'know GW, I know you and I have had our run-ins, but you are absolutely correct here. This is something I have said myself quite a few times over the years. Football, and sports in general, are supposed to be diversions. They are not supposed to have so much meaning in your life that it takes away from what's important. Being a die-hard fan is great, but if you get so worked up over a GAME that it affects your personal life, then you have bigger issues than you care to admit. It's called perspective. Love and support your teams, but when the game is over...it's over.

tony hipchest
12-01-2009, 11:37 PM
Like I've been trying to tell some of you guys and gals, there are fans of some franchises that would kill their parents and their first-born children to have a team with a 6-5 record and a shot at a wildcard spot in December. The problem is that you've been spoiled by having a team that consistently plays well enough to either win a division title or compete for a wildcard spot, with a year here or there where they finish just outside of making the playoffs.

Seriously, can you imagine being a Lions fan? Or a Browns fan? Think of how many teams have never won a Super Bowl, or even worse, never even played in one?every so often we get a rival teams fan that truly brings something to the board.

while you may never get the respect you deserve, you have done everything to earn it. :drink: good posting, bro.

may your team continue to suck. :thumbsup:

stlrtruck
12-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Seriously, can you imagine being a Lions fan? Or a Browns fan? Think of how many teams have never won a Super Bowl, or even worse, never even played in one?

Crow you make me laugh. Come on seriously? :toofunny: Think about being a lions fan or a browns fan? Isn't that the equivalent of asking a long time colts fan if they've ever thought Irsay was right for moving the colts? :rofl: :flap:

Crow-Magnon
12-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Crow you make me laugh. Come on seriously? :toofunny: Think about being a lions fan or a browns fan? Isn't that the equivalent of asking a long time colts fan if they've ever thought Irsay was right for moving the colts? :rofl: :flap:

I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole. Seriously, may you never know the anguish of waking up one morning and watching the local news footage of your team pulling out in the middle of the night in a blizzard and leaving a void in your life for 13 years.

But....that still isn't as bad as being a Lions or Browns fan. :chuckle:

Crow-Magnon
12-02-2009, 07:38 AM
every so often we get a rival teams fan that truly brings something to the board.

while you may never get the respect you deserve, you have done everything to earn it. :drink: good posting, bro.

may your team continue to suck. :thumbsup:

Thanks. Nothing like a great rivalry!

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 08:08 AM

Y'know, I've said the exact same thing many times on this board and have gotten flack over it but maybe coming from a rival fan, it just might sink in. :drink:

Steelers fans, particularly the under 25 crowd, are spoiled rotten. They've never known sucktitude when it comes to the Steelers but most of us over 40 crowd most definitely do, though it never lasts more than a season or two. We are so fortunate to be Steelers fans and as I always say - being a Steelers fan is a privilege and an honor, not a God-given right. :tt02:

GREAT POST Crow! :applaudit::drink:

Crow-Magnon
12-02-2009, 08:17 AM
Y'know, I've said the exact same thing many times on this board and have gotten flack over it but maybe coming from a rival fan, it just might sink in. :drink:

Steelers fans, particularly the under 25 crowd, are spoiled rotten. They've never known sucktitude when it comes to the Steelers but most of us over 40 crowd most definitely do, though it never lasts more than a season or two. We are so fortunate to be Steelers fans and as I always say - being a Steelers fan is a privilege and an honor, not a God-given right. :tt02:

GREAT POST Crow! :applaudit::drink:

My dad was a rabid Baltimore Colts fan who got to see them up close during their real glory years in the late 50's throughout the 60's. He even went to SB III with my uncle when they lost to the Jets. As a young boy in the mid-Sixties, he once told me his favorite team after the Colts were the Steelers. I asked him why and he said, "Because I feel sorry for them because they never win anything."

Which, up until Pittsburgh started winning Super Bowls in the 70's, was true. So you are 100% correct. Older Steelers fans remember what it was like to suffer through bad non-winning seasons whereas the younger fans are so used to winning that they can't even stomach a season 50% of the league would salivate over.

Fire Haley
12-02-2009, 08:18 AM
"It's only a game"

That's what all the losers say.

stlrtruck
12-02-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm not touching that one with a ten-foot pole. Seriously, may you never know the anguish of waking up one morning and watching the local news footage of your team pulling out in the middle of the night in a blizzard and leaving a void in your life for 13 years.

But....that still isn't as bad as being a Lions or Browns fan. :chuckle:

Actually I was living in MD (about 45 minutes down 70 West) at the time the Irsay yanked them out of town. And while I can say that the fans barely filled half the stadium, it was still shady the way it was done.

However, I was already a Steelers fan before Irsay made the midnight move.

SteelMember
12-02-2009, 08:29 AM
My dad was a rabid Baltimore Colts fan who got to see them up close during their real glory years in the late 50's throughout the 60's. He even went to SB III with my uncle when they lost to the Jets. As a young boy in the mid-Sixties, he once told me his favorite team after the Colts were the Steelers. I asked him why and he said, "Because I feel sorry for them because they never win anything."

Which, up until Pittsburgh started winning Super Bowls in the 70's, was true. So you are 100% correct. Older Steelers fans remember what it was like to suffer through bad non-winning seasons whereas the younger fans are so used to winning that they can't even stomach a season 50% of the league would salivate over.

You know, getting Chuck Noll from that team didn't hurt our chances one bit. :wink02:

It's funny if you look deep enough, things are more... connected than at first glance.

Crow-Magnon
12-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Actually I was living in MD (about 45 minutes down 70 West) at the time the Irsay yanked them out of town. And while I can say that the fans barely filled half the stadium, it was still shady the way it was done.

However, I was already a Steelers fan before Irsay made the midnight move.

There's a lot of reasons for all that went down, which is ancient history now. But if you got a chance to watch the 30 for 30 episode on "The Band That Wouldn't Die" and saw that drunk get off the plane and berate the Governor and lie through his teeth, you can understand why attendance started to plummet.

Anyway......my dad was lucky. I became a rabid Colts fan during the glory years of Bert Jones, Roger Carr, Lydell Mitchell and the Sack Pack. Unfortunately they were also the glory years of Chuck Noll, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Rocky Bleier, Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mean Joe Greene in Pittsburgh; and John Madden, Kenny Stabler, Ted Hendricks, Dave Caspar and Fred Biletnikoff in Oakland.

Needless to say, the Baltimore Colts were good in the 70's, but never quite good enough for the most part. :banging: I still haven't completely recovered from "The Ghost to the Post."

scsteeler
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
While I hate seeing my Steelers lose I understand reality and that we can't win the Superbowl every year, and some years we are just going to lose some games we most likely should have won. I learned this lesson when the Steelers lost to the Chargers in the AFC championship in the last few minutes.

I in no way have given up hope that we can turn things around look at the Titans.

Mordax
12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
:chuckle: @ all the heartfelt emotion in this thread

BlastFurnace
12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
There's a lot of reasons for all that went down, which is ancient history now. But if you got a chance to watch the 30 for 30 episode on "The Band That Wouldn't Die" and saw that drunk get off the plane and berate the Governor and lie through his teeth, you can understand why attendance started to plummet.

Anyway......my dad was lucky. I became a rabid Colts fan during the glory years of Bert Jones, Roger Carr, Lydell Mitchell and the Sack Pack. Unfortunately they were also the glory years of Chuck Noll, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Rocky Bleier, Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham and Mean Joe Greene in Pittsburgh; and John Madden, Kenny Stabler, Ted Hendricks, Dave Caspar and Fred Biletnikoff in Oakland.

Needless to say, the Baltimore Colts were good in the 70's, but never quite good enough for the most part. :banging: I still haven't completely recovered from "The Ghost to the Post."

I'm curious...did you disown the team when it moved to Indianapolis?

I wonder what the fate of the Colts would have been had Elway been willing to sign with them. I wonder if that would have kept them in Baltimore with a renewed hope for the fans.

I think the crapiest thing that Irsay did was to take the Colts name with them. As bad as some people view the Browns move to Baltimore, atleast the right thing was done with keeping the Browns history in Cleveland.

Indo
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM

I wonder what the fate of the Colts would have been had Elway been willing to sign with them. I wonder if that would have kept them in Baltimore with a renewed hope for the fans.

I think the crapiest thing that Irsay did was to take the Colts name with them. As bad as some people view the Browns move to Baltimore, atleast the right thing was done with keeping the Browns history in Cleveland.

I have mixed feelings about all of the city/name changes---I STILL can't get past Indianapolis Colts ---in my head they will ALWAYS be the Baltimore Colts---with that image of Johnny U throwing passes...
But it's also always gonna be Baltimore Ravens, too

St. Louis Cardinals become Phoenix, then AZ Cards
LA Rams become St. Louis Rams
Oakland Raiders become LA Raiders, then back to Oakland--that was another one I could never get in my head. The Raiders were ALWAYS from Oakland. (Now they're just pathetic...)
Houston Oilers become Tennessee Oilers, then Titans
Then Houston's previous team the Oilers is now Houston Texans(a rather boring, unimaginative name, if you ask me)

I am just greatful that Pittsburgh's team WILL ALWAYS be the Steelers.

Crow-Magnon
12-02-2009, 12:41 PM

Oh my God, yes! There was no way I could follow "my" team watching it play in a another city over 500 miles away. And you are right. Had Irsay left the name, colors and history of the Baltimore Colts in Baltimore, it would not have been so bad. But watching fans in Indy clap like they were at a high school play vs. an NFL game really made me sick to my stomach. Couple that with Jack Kent Cooke and Tagliabue trying to shove the Redskins down our throats, along with his infamous "take the stadium money and build a museum" quote. Wow! Was he ever right about fan support in Jacksonville!

If Elway had signed, it may have staved off Irsay's move for a year or so. But it appears that right from go after he and Rosembloom traded franchises that his ultimate goal was to relocate. And while I was 110% pissed at Elway at the time, it turned out to be one smart move on his part.

Crow-Magnon
12-02-2009, 12:58 PM
I have mixed feelings about all of the city/name changes---I STILL can't get past Indianapolis Colts ---in my head they will ALWAYS be the Baltimore Colts---with that image of Johnny U throwing passes...
But it's also always gonna be Baltimore Ravens, too

St. Louis Cardinals become Phoenix, then AZ Cards
LA Rams become St. Louis Rams
Oakland Raiders become LA Raiders, then back to Oakland--that was another one I could never get in my head. The Raiders were ALWAYS from Oakland. (Now they're just pathetic...)
Houston Oilers become Tennessee Oilers, then Titans
Then Houston's previous team the Oilers is now Houston Texans(a rather boring, unimaginative name, if you ask me)

I am just greatful that Pittsburgh's team WILL ALWAYS be the Steelers.

See, that's one thing I just could never understand. I know the owner figures the old franchise name has some marketability, but what good is it if it means absolutely nothing to the new local area or city? How many Rams are there in St. Louis? How many Lake(r)s are there in LA? WTF does Jazz have to do with Utah?

Colts was picked as a name for Baltimore due to the tradition of horseracing in the area (and the Preakness Stakes). Colts means nothing to Indianapolis. They should have renamed the franchise to something that meant something to Indy fans.

Indo
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
See, that's one thing I just could never understand. I know the owner figures the old franchise name has some marketability, but what good is it if it means absolutely nothing to the new local area or city? How many Rams are there in St. Louis? How many Lake(r)s are there in LA? WTF does Jazz have to do with Utah?

Colts was picked as a name for Baltimore due to the tradition of horseracing in the area (and the Preakness Stakes). Colts means nothing to Indianapolis. They should have renamed the franchise to something that meant something to Indy fans.

The Indianapolis 500s? The Indianapolis Pit Stops? :chuckle:

There actually was a Basketball team in Pittsburgh called the Condors. WTF?
I actually "get" the Pittsburgh Penguins---hockey, ice, has a ring to it with the "P"s, but Condors? Maybe someone can enlighten me with this one

The Utah Jazz should've been changed to the Mormons...
and now New Orleans has the Hornets---Mosquitos would be better, as anyone who has ever lived there can tell you!

BTW, I've never been to one of the Triple Crown races, but one of these days I'm gonna go to all of them
Probably start at Churchill Downs, tho'

Crow-Magnon
12-02-2009, 01:37 PM
The Indianapolis 500s? The Indianapolis Pit Stops? :chuckle:

There actually was a Basketball team in Pittsburgh called the Condors. WTF?
I actually "get" the Pittsburgh Penguins---hockey, ice, has a ring to it with the "P"s, but Condors? Maybe someone can enlighten me with this one

The Utah Jazz should've been changed to the Mormons...
and now New Orleans has the Hornets---Mosquitos would be better, as anyone who has ever lived there can tell you!

BTW, I've never been to one of the Triple Crown races, but one of these days I'm gonna go to all of them
Probably start at Churchill Downs, tho'

If you're going to go to one of them, the Kentucky Derby is the one to go to. The Preakness is cool, but Pimlico is not in the best area of town anymore. And unless a horse has won the first two legs of he Triple Crown, not many people give a rat's ass about the Belmont Stakes. :chuckle:

I've never questioned the name Penguins. Look, some names are stupid, like Phillies or Padres, but they make sense to the locals. But what sense would the Memphis 49'ers make if San Fran relo'ed to Tennessee? :toofunny: