PDA

View Full Version : Raiders at Steelers: Game Notes

RaiderInNY
12-01-2009, 01:06 PM
http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/2387.html

So, Big Ben has some concussion issues. Eerily similarly to the 2006 match-up, when the defending champs were reeling a bit and had Ben in a daze as well.

Grads is going home...

Check out www.sbreport.net for my coverage and game-preview.

Also, head to www.Raiderfans.net for the best chat regarding this game and historic rivalry.

SteelCityMom
12-01-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, this situation is a little different, because in 06 Ben played the Raiders the same week he had a concussion (after having a severe concussion from the accident). He didn't play this week, so he's had time off to recover. Not saying it 100% won't affect his performance, but he's been put in a better situation this time around.

Grads has been here before...last year when he was with the Browns for the final game of the season, and he got CREAMED and shut out.

RaiderInNY
12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Well, this situation is a little different, because in 06 Ben played the Raiders the same week he had a concussion (after having a severe concussion from the accident). He didn't play this week, so he's had time off to recover. Not saying it 100% won't affect his performance, but he's been put in a better situation this time around.

Grads has been here before...last year when he was with the Browns for the final game of the season, and he got CREAMED and shut out.

Yes, I noted that here:
http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/2387.html

OAK is very Jekyl and Hyde; their front-4 can be overwhelming at times with their pass rush (Kelly, Ellis and Seymour), but can be a sieve vs. the run.

Their 2ndary is not as good past Asomugha. They allow too many big plays and big chunks. C.Johnson is a victim of playing opposite the best CB in the game, and he is wildly inconsistent. Huff has shown glimpses this year, but Tyvon Branch probably has been the 2nd best player in the defensive backfield past Nnamdi.

The off. could either be putrid, or just ok. Nothing better. The run game is at its best with Fargas and McFadden (getting 10-15 touches a game via the ground and pass). Grads has his litmus test here. One ok game in a win, one bad game in a loss -- time to show something now.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm not guaranteeing anything - this team has underperformed all year.

revefsreleets
12-01-2009, 01:58 PM
If we lose to the Raiders, I'm going to start panicking and posting stupid things...we seriously cannot lose to another crap team....

T.Richardson
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
If we lose to the Raiders, I'm going to start panicking and posting stupid things...we seriously cannot lose to another crap team....

If the Raiders beat the Steelers with 80 yards of offense, I'll probably go crazy...

steeltheone
12-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Grads started for Tampa Bay at Pittsburgh 2 years ago. So he will now have started for 3 different teams in 3 consecutive years at Heinz. Wow.

Carolina Steelers
12-01-2009, 02:39 PM

I agree 100% with you. By the 5 min mark in the 2nd qtr. the game should be decided we need to come out and dominate if we late the Raiders hang around like the Chiefs anything can happen. I'm hoping Dixon will be in there by the start of the
4th qtr. Just handing off the game should be over

RaiderInNY
12-02-2009, 10:02 AM
I agree 100% with you. By the 5 min mark in the 2nd qtr. the game should be decided we need to come out and dominate if we late the Raiders hang around like the Chiefs anything can happen. I'm hoping Dixon will be in there by the start of the
4th qtr. Just handing off the game should be over

And that's what the Raiders hope to happen; that they can hang around, stay close, hope for a miscue, get short fields and then an upset can come to fruition.

Look, if OAK can't run the ball consistently, this won't be a match-up. They are going to need Fargas to run the way he did to open the game vs. the Cowboys. Then, they are going to need to mix in some McFadden in the run, and incorporate him in the passing game. Grad is feisty, but he can't change the fact that this WR bunch has been dreadful, regardless of them being rookies, inexperienced etc., they have been shaky.

The DL is hit or miss. They can either overwhelm an OL; with Ellis (who is injured) and Seymour's pass rush, or they can look like a sieve by allowing insane yardage on the ground.

If Pitt., just pounds away, sticks with the run and they don't waver in staying on the ground; they'll break one or two, heck or more for big gains and break the will of the D.

AllD
12-02-2009, 10:25 AM
It should be the Mendy and Parker show.

scsteeler
12-02-2009, 10:41 AM
I see no reason we should lose this game but anything can happen. If the Secondary plays better then we should be in good shape to take the W.

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Last two posts are spot on. If Santo can get open against Asomugha, he totally deserves to do his stupid flex move after any and all catches. That dude is a STUD at DB, best in the game, IMO.

But I also saw no way we could lose the last three games, yet things changed in such a way that we did.

RaiderInNY
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I wanna see Holmes vs Nnamdi Asomugha. Ben and Holmes abused Champ Bailey in Denver. But Asomugha is the best shutdown corner in the AFC. He would look better in Black n Gold upgrade over Silver.

Could happen...

Miles Austin victimized him a few times on Thanksgiving and Ochocinco had a couple of catches on him. Overall though, Asomugha should be headed to another Pro-bowl, as he has been probably the best CB in the league.