PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace...(Flash>>>)... An Easy 6....

SteelerEmpire
12-01-2009, 02:22 PM
One observation I' ve made over the season is in a flat out sprint down field man-to-man and even in "most " zone situations (the defensive strategy designed to stop the faster receivers) Wallace gets separation from defenders...

Now. I have also noticed that most of the passes thrown to him in this scenario (when he's at "full" sprint) has fallen short...thus causing Wallace to "slow down" and allowing the defender to catch up and destroy the play.... this has been the case with both Ben and Dixon.

I don't think the QB's, yet, have a real grasp of Wallace's speed. As is usually the case with QB's when you introduce a real burner into their sights... the QB's should work to "master " this simple strategy with Wallace.

As a former WR in high school, this was my favorite play, and I took it to the house 90% that I caught... but if the QB does not throw it just right, play over...

I submit that we could get an "easy " extra 6 points ...then add the extra point [field goal] for a total of 7.

That amount would have given us a win in ALL of our loses this year.

Steel-Bryan
12-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Ben isnt used to wallace's speed yet, give him time

Steelerfreak58
12-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I agree the dude is ridiculously fast and we haven't had that kind of speed on this team in a long time Ben and Dix have to get used to passing to a burner with better timing patterns.

Honestly if you look at it Wallace is a bright spot most thought Sweed had the 3 spot going into the season.

Carolina Steelers
12-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Ben isnt used to wallace's speed yet, give him time

I do agree with you some what but this is week 12 how much time does he need? Ben is a top 5 QB IMO and Wallace is the 3rd option he should know by now how to hook up with him.

Steelerfreak58
12-01-2009, 03:25 PM
I do agree with you some what but this is week 12 how much time does he need? Ben is a top 5 QB IMO and Wallace is the 3rd option he should know by now how to hook up with him.

With the way the kid is flat out destroying his defenders he should be his number one option at this point. None of the 3rd defenders has been able to keep up with Wallace yet.

Carolina Steelers
12-01-2009, 03:28 PM
With the way the kid is flat out destroying his defenders he should be his number one option at this point. None of the 3rd defenders has been able to keep up with Wallace yet.

I didnt mean 3rd option per say i meant 3rd WR behind Ward and Holmes. But I do agree they need to take more shots with Wallace like you said usually the other teams will be covering him with a nickle back or a weaker defender.

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 03:43 PM
how comes nobody is complainin about the TD he dropped ? ain't that like the 3rd td he has dropped this year ? :noidea:

rich4eagle
12-01-2009, 04:29 PM
One observation I' ve made over the season is in a flat out sprint down field man-to-man and even in "most " zone situations (the defensive strategy designed to stop the faster receivers) Wallace gets separation from defenders...

Now. I have also noticed that most of the passes thrown to him in this scenario (when he's at "full" sprint) has fallen short...thus causing Wallace to "slow down" and allowing the defender to catch up and destroy the play.... this has been the case with both Ben and Dixon.

I don't think the QB's, yet, have a real grasp of Wallace's speed. As is usually the case with QB's when you introduce a real burner into their sights... the QB's should work to "master " this simple strategy with Wallace.

As a former WR in high school, this was my favorite play, and I took it to the house 90% that I caught... but if the QB does not throw it just right, play over...

I submit that we could get an "easy " extra 6 points ...then add the extra point [field goal] for a total of 7.

That amount would have given us a win in ALL of our loses this year.

the ball was thrown on target...........I was hoping you would have said he should have slowed at the end to make it a leap catch inbounds or pass interference

neither of which happened and which both could have....................:drink:

Psyychoward86
12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
how comes nobody is complainin about the TD he dropped ? ain't that like the 3rd td he has dropped this year ? :noidea:

He didnt drop it, Lardarius Webb just made a great play by slapping the ball out as soon as the ball go in Wallace's hands.

SteelerEmpire, I'm assuming part of the reason you made this thread is because of the TD we didnt get with Wallace? If so, a perfectly thrown pass in that situation wouldn't have made much a difference since he was about to run out of bounds anyways. Dixon made the right decision on that play, Wallace totally burned him initially, but he caught up and watched Wallace's hands, not allowing to nab one for 6 points. But that's just if that was the issue u were concerned about :noidea:

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 05:41 PM
He didnt drop it, Lardarius Webb just made a great play by slapping the ball out as soon as the ball go in Wallace's hands.

SteelerEmpire, I'm assuming part of the reason you made this thread is because of the TD we didnt get with Wallace? If so, a perfectly thrown pass in that situation wouldn't have made much a difference since he was about to run out of bounds anyways. Dixon made the right decision on that play, Wallace totally burned him initially, but he caught up and watched Wallace's hands, not allowing to nab one for 6 points. But that's just if that was the issue u were concerned about :noidea:
well thats odd....on my tv webb never touched the ball in the replay....i know collinsworthless said he did, but the replay said differently...:noidea: could be why he never commented on it after they showed it again cause he was wrong...

Psyychoward86
12-01-2009, 05:42 PM
well thats odd....on my tv webb never touched the ball in the replay....i know collinsworthless said he did, but the replay said differently...:noidea:

im almost positive that he did. That football didnt look like it just fell out of his hands

steelerjim58
12-01-2009, 05:46 PM
im almost positive that he did. That football didnt look like it just fell out of his hands

No webb never touched ball or arm, but it was a tough catch.

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 06:50 PM
your "almost" positive...i am positive... he never touched the ball OR hit his arm in anyway to cause an incompletion. it was a very catchable ball.. the kind that people would jump all over sweed for missing.

jjpro11
12-01-2009, 08:15 PM
that's because Sweed has yet to make a single meaningful catch to offset with his ridiculous drop rate. i'll take a ratio of 6 or 7 spectacular catches to one drop from our rookie 3rd WR any day.

SteelerEmpire
12-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Whats the deal with Sweed anyway ?? How in the Hell (God forgive me) can "anyone" remain in the NFL, year after year, and drop so many balls as Sweed ?? Especially on the World Champion Steelers ?? He must have some inside connection or something ?? Give me a logical reason why he's still here ??

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 10:24 PM
that's because Sweed has yet to make a single meaningful catch to offset with his ridiculous drop rate. i'll take a ratio of 6 or 7 spectacular catches to one drop from our rookie 3rd WR any day.
but none the less...that one play...that one dropped touchdown pass... cost them the game....:rolleyes:

Psyychoward86
12-01-2009, 11:44 PM
but none the less...that one play...that one dropped touchdown pass... cost them the game....:rolleyes:

dont start another Sweed Flaming Thread :flap:

Steeldude
12-02-2009, 01:32 AM
i don't think wallace's speed is the problem as much as BR's poor ability at throwing over 30 yards. his long throws are usually short and hanging. which i attribute to throwing off his back foot.

Galax Steeler
12-02-2009, 04:49 AM
It won't be long before they connect on that long touchdown pass. Wallace and Ben have been close a couple of times. They will get on the same page and get us a touchdown.