PDA

View Full Version : NFL Least Valuable Player Award

Angus Burgher
12-01-2009, 03:06 PM
With all the talk about who will win the NFL MVP award this year (*cough* Favre *cough*) I'm curious who you think has been the league LEAST Valuable Player... obviously every team has Joe Somebody the third-string backup, but I'm talking about a high-profile player that has seriously underperformed. A guy with a big contract or maybe a high draft pick that has either been a total bust or hasn't lived up to expectations.

My pick is Jay Cutler. I take issue with him because I was a supporter of his during the McDaniels/Broncos/Trade debacle. McDaniels is a douche for sure, and I thought that Cutler was an elite QB. When he was sent to Chicago, I thought, FINALLY, the Bears have a good QB. And then he precedes to throw 20 interceptions. Granted, his receiving corps sucks, but a better QB can adjust to that. Instead, he looks like he's just chucking it up there and hoping somebody (on his team) catches it.

Of course, he didn't throw any picks in the Steelers game. Bastard. Thanks Jay, for not sucking in the one game where I really wanted you to.

Other hopefuls:

Jake Delhomme - I didn't expect him to be a great QB this year, but that ridiculous contract extension clearly means somebody did.

Derrius Heyward-Bey - Al Davis' stupidity on draft day has become a thing of legend.

Limas Sweed - Wasn't this supposed to be his "breakout" year?

Mark Sanchez - It may be unfair to pick on a rookie QB... but hey, after Rex Ryan constantly shooting his mouth off and Sanchez's similar ****y attitude from time to time (despite average-to-poor play), "Sanchise" deserves some flack.

Indo
12-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Too easy---

Jamarcus Russell

Christian Snyder
12-01-2009, 04:42 PM
This is WAY TO EASY..

Jamarcus Russel... Possibly one of the suckiest QB's I've ever seen.

Angus Burgher
12-01-2009, 04:59 PM
Honestly though, was anyone expecting Russell to be a factor this season? Still, you're right, with the big contract, he damn we SHOULD play better than that.

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Errrrr....no brainer.

Limas Sweed.

Angus Burgher
12-02-2009, 12:49 PM
A few more:

Roy Williams - huge paycheck, very little to show for it

Andre "Double D-Cup" Smith - Rookie guard you probably don't remember because he held out for a big contract after signing with the Bungles and then broke his foot in training camp.

Kerry Collins - From 13-3 to 0-6. Throw in a 59-0 loss with NEGATIVE SEVEN passing yards, and your career is pretty much over. Siyonara, Vodka Collins. Have fun at the bar.

supa_fly_steeler
12-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Al Davis if he is eligable

Godfather
12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Heyward Bay has to be a candidate. He tipped a Gradkowski pass into a defender's hands to end what should have been a game tying drive. Dropped at least two touchdown passes from JaMarcus, and caused an interception against the Broncos by falling down on a streak pattern so the corner could play centerfield.

Reggie Bush gets honorable mention. He's basically a third down back and that's a long way from what his hype and his contract call for.

devilsdancefloor
12-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Fat Albert haynesworthless

SteelCityMom
12-02-2009, 10:35 PM
TO

That is all.

Angus Burgher
12-02-2009, 10:48 PM
I would agree with T.O., but after the past two weeks, I'm thinking his lackluster start in Buffalo was more the result of jumping to a really, really bad team with a weak quarterback and a coach that was out of his element.

NEPAsteeler
12-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I'll go with either Russell or Reggie Bush. Neither have played to their contracts.

tony hipchest
12-02-2009, 11:06 PM
With all the talk about who will win the NFL MVP award this year (*cough* Favre *cough*) I'm curious who you think has been the league LEAST Valuable Player... obviously every team has Joe Somebody the third-string backup, but I'm talking about a high-profile player that has seriously underperformed. A guy with a big contract or maybe a high draft pick that has either been a total bust or hasn't lived up to expectations.

My pick is Jay Cutler. I take issue with him because I was a supporter of his during the McDaniels/Broncos/Trade debacle. McDaniels is a douche for sure, and I thought that Cutler was an elite QB. When he was sent to Chicago, I thought, FINALLY, the Bears have a good QB. And then he precedes to throw 20 interceptions. Granted, his receiving corps sucks, but a better QB can adjust to that. Instead, he looks like he's just chucking it up there and hoping somebody (on his team) catches it.

Of course, he didn't throw any picks in the Steelers game. Bastard. Thanks Jay, for not sucking in the one game where I really wanted you to.

Other hopefuls:

Jake Delhomme - I didn't expect him to be a great QB this year, but that ridiculous contract extension clearly means somebody did.

Derrius Heyward-Bey - Al Davis' stupidity on draft day has become a thing of legend.

Limas Sweed - Wasn't this supposed to be his "breakout" year? :huh: says who... revs? LMAO!

Mark Sanchez - It may be unfair to pick on a rookie QB... but hey, after Rex Ryan constantly shooting his mouth off and Sanchez's similar ****y attitude from time to time (despite average-to-poor play), "Sanchise" deserves some flack.

i see reading comprehension has escaped the usual suspect in this thread. typical. :coffee:

if we're going for draft status and "bang for your buck" it IS a no-brainer.

julius peppers and ted ginn jr (the 2 biggest wastes of cap space i have seen in years this side of j. russell).

MattsMe
12-02-2009, 11:12 PM
Big Ben.

:chuckle:

Angus Burgher
12-02-2009, 11:56 PM
i see reading comprehension has escaped the usual suspect in this thread. typical. :coffee:

if we're going for draft status and "bang for your buck" it IS a no-brainer.

julius peppers and ted ginn jr (the 2 biggest wastes of cap space i have seen in years this side of j. russell).

My mention of Limas was due to some articles I read on steelers.com and other places talking about how Sweed was determined to prove himself this year, followed up by some great catches during the preseason. That, coupled with his draft pick status (2nd round is still a high pick overall), led at least a few of us to think he'd have an impact this year. I don't even hold his legendary drop in the playoffs last year against him... all rookies make huge mistakes.

Unfortunately, the only thing he's known for this year is being a huge part of the reason the Bengals swept us. Does he deserve to be put up there with some of these other guys who have perhaps single-handedly destroyed their respective teams? No, probably not. But if I were to pick an LVP for Pittsburgh, I can't think of a better candidate. Although Willie Gay is making a strong case for it lately.

tony hipchest
12-03-2009, 12:03 AM
No, probably not. But if I were to pick an LVP for Pittsburgh, I can't think of a better candidate. .maybe you should start another redundant thread about that instead of straying from the OP.

:hunch: ironic that you and revs are now lumped into the same "lack of reading comprehension" group, being that you were the one to start this thread.

GoSlash27
12-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Another vote for JamOrca.

Angus Burgher
12-03-2009, 01:59 AM

That's a good one. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
12-04-2009, 04:18 AM
I would have to say albert hanseworth

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 04:59 AM
the texans look like geniuses for passing on bush...

Angus Burgher
12-04-2009, 01:16 PM
LOL, it's funny you bring him up because Reggie said in an interview recently that he aims to eventually be a league MVP.

Yeah okay, Reggie. It's your team that's great this season. You're just a glorified third-down back with a huge paycheck.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Staying on task here...the OP said:

obviously every team has Joe Somebody the third-string backup, but I'm talking about a high-profile player that has seriously underperformed. A guy with a big contract or maybe a high draft pick that has either been a total bust or hasn't lived up to expectations.

So Sweed most definitely falls EXACTLY into this category.

Angus Burgher
12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Yeah, I don't know what his problem was. Trying to start an argument where there isn't one, I guess.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I don't know what his problem was. Trying to start an argument where there isn't one, I guess.

You got caught up in something else...not your fault at all...

tony hipchest
12-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Yeah, I don't know what his problem was. Trying to start an argument where there isn't one, I guess.oh, well in that case....

brady quinn
brian robiskie

2 UDFA's would be as valuable as those stiffs are.

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Staying on task here...the OP said:

obviously every team has Joe Somebody the third-string backup, but I'm talking about a high-profile player that has seriously underperformed. A guy with a big contract or maybe a high draft pick that has either been a total bust or hasn't lived up to expectations.

and "drop it a ginn" doesn't fit that category ? ummmm alrighty then..:noidea:

tony hipchest
12-04-2009, 11:51 PM
:tap:

hypocrisy and hOmeriSmU rears its ugly head, once again.

go figure.

HometownGal
12-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Jason Elam. He went from being a very reliable PK for the Falcs to being given a sucktitude slip this past week.

HometownGal
12-05-2009, 07:30 AM
Marc Bulger. Stick a fork in him - he's done.

BigBen'sSwagger
12-05-2009, 07:34 AM
Although you all have gotten better ones just thought I would offer...

roy williams cowpats put up a lot to get a #2 W.R. and probably more of a 3. Couldn't happen to a better team

Angus Burgher
12-05-2009, 10:39 AM
Hmm... I know this one kind of goes against the original concept of this thread since he's currently third on his team's depth chart, but I think we have to make an exception for Michael Vick.

Granted, expectations for the Dog Killer were probably unrealistic, being as to how it's tough to keep your skills up while you're locked in the slammer. Plus, he went to a team with an already proven quarterback (McNabb) and a reliable backup (Kolb). But Vick went from the hottest news topic in the offseason to an afterthought in the regular season. The Eagles are playing Atlanta this week, and no one even noticed that it was Vick returning to play his old team until a bunch of sports writers realized it halfway through to week and tried to create a story where there really isn't one. This isn't Brett Favre returning to play against Green Bay. This is more akin to Gary Russell returning to play against Pittsburgh.

Whether it's Vick's own skills that have declined or Andy Reid's lack of using him is up for debate. But as of right now, the player that everyone was SO convinced would make an impact on the league this year... hasn't done shit.

I take pride in the fact that I was one of the few people who called this in the offseason. I didn't know for sure, but I just had this feeling that, wherever Vick ended up, he wouldn't be the player that he once was because his specialty as a QB was his speed... speed is something that diminishes with age. And it diminishes even faster when you're in a prison cell.

Steelboy84
12-05-2009, 11:14 AM
Romo definitely.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-05-2009, 01:36 PM
A combo of Derick Anderson/Brady Quinn.

Quinn wins the Browns starting QB job, gets pulled for Anderson who then stinks the joint up even worse, then Quinn comes back and sucks (except for a game against the Lions, who just happened to have the worst ranked pass defense in the NFL).

Angus Burgher
12-05-2009, 02:10 PM
And yet he STILL loses.

That just shows how bad the Browns are collectively. Your QB throws for 4 TDs and you still get beaten, even if it is just by one point.

RoethlisBURGHer
12-05-2009, 04:43 PM
And yet he STILL loses.

That just shows how bad the Browns are collectively. Your QB throws for 4 TDs and you still get beaten, even if it is just by one point.

That might be the best game Quinn plays in his career. With the way the Browns look right now, he will never throw more than two touchdowns in a game or break the 200 yards passing barrier.

Vincent
12-05-2009, 08:04 PM

Troy Edwards. Will Blackwell. Scott Shields. Jamaine Stephens. Jeremy Staat. Anthony Smith. Steven Conley. Huey Richardson. John Rienstra with a @#$%ing #9 instead of Will Wolford at 20. Zo Jackson. Tim Worley & Tom Ricketts. Ricardo Colclough. Etc. Etc. Etc. And the worst pick of all time - Gabe Rivera instead of the nearly invisible, "who knew?", Danny Marino.

Sweed's "body of work" isn't in their league. He needs some development. The jury is still way out.

Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, James Hardy, Eddie Royal, Jerome Simpson, DeSean Jackson, and Malcolm Kelly, all "household names" :rofl:, were taken ahead of Sweed. DeSean Jackson is the only one that shows up in meaningful stats and he's #26 in the league. Jackson is a gamer, but I'm trying to visualize the caterwauling that would have resulted from our selection of a 5'10" 175 lb receiver in any round, much less the 2nd.

The fan base we have today wouldn't have tolerated Bradshaw's first 5 years for 20 seconds.

Angus Burgher
12-05-2009, 10:40 PM
That is a good point. As much as I love Steeler fans, it is true that we do often expect instant results and big-time wins every year. But it's not just us. Lions fans were booing Matthew Stafford a few weeks back. I think football fans in general don't understand that developing a player can take longer than the summer following the draft.

Aussie_steeler
12-06-2009, 04:03 AM
My NOM - Vernon " The Beast" Gholston

Go and ask a JET fan and I think that they will confirm this.

He may well be made redundant in this years draft - therefore eradicating him from the memory bank of the JETS.

silver & black
12-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Too easy---

Jamarcus Russell

WINNER! :applaudit:

silver & black
12-06-2009, 10:39 AM

Oh... I'm usin' that one! :applaudit:.............. :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
12-06-2009, 10:52 AM
I was basing this PURELY on the exceedingly high level of anticipation that the braintrust on this board had in Sweed. Many had him becoming the #2 WR this year...

And he fits TO A "T" into the parameters of the original post...and then some people got all worked up and their panties ruffled for bringing up the sacred cow of Limas Sweed into this perfectly apropos thread.

What value does a second year player, who was a second round draft pick, actually have as he sits on the bench game after game after game?

He is, unquestionably and without doubt, and by the very definition of lacking value, a viable candidate for ANY LVP list, as he has done exactly NOTHING.

I will listen to any valid argument that can show me how Limas Sweed has exhibited any value to the Steelers commensurate with his salary and draft pick status SO FAR. I'm not interested in crystal ball analysis of what he MAY do in the future, I want to know what Sweed has brought to the table SO FAR in his almost two years as a Steelers that would/should/could preclude him from being on this list.

RodWoodsonwasprettycool
12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Cleveland+Browns+Minicamp+npIfm-ievoQl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Cleveland+Browns+Minicamp+To6-dT6E_TQl.jpg

both of these linebackers are completely clueless, AND THE BROWNS BURNT TWO EARLY PICKS ON THEM. Ben completely picked them apart when D'Qwell went down (who is auctually pretty much our best LB).

X-Terminator
12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Russell wins this one easily. $32 million in guaranteed money, only to be benched for a journeyman curtain-jerker halfway through the season. He will be out of football in 2 years, and will next be seen dumpster-diving for half-eaten Twinkies.

HM goes to Albert Haynesworth. Once again, little Danny Snyder shows how completely inept he is at building a team. $100 million for that fat tub of bacon grease? Has he actually done anything other than completely suck this season?

tony hipchest
12-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I was basing this PURELY on the exceedingly high level of anticipation that the braintrust on this board had in Sweed. Many had him becoming the #2 WR this year...

over hines ward and santonio holmes? :rofl:

get real, and quit making shit up. it just makes your posts look foolish.

revefsreleets
12-06-2009, 12:49 PM
LOL...I don't even need to read the posts to know what's going on.

"I will NOT be ignored!"
http://www.joblo.com/images_movie_reviews/fatal_attraction.jpg

Angus Burgher
12-10-2009, 04:45 PM
I know he's a back-up, but check out Rex Grossman's stats for last Sunday:

Completed 3 of 9 passes, 33 yards, 0 TD 1 INT, 1 fumble, QB Rating: 5.6 :jawdrop:

How the hell was this guy ever a starter?! Moreover, how did he lead the Bears to a Super Bowl?

HughC
12-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Not 'least valuable player', but how about 'least valuable front office': the Carolina Panthers.

Julius Peppers and Jake Delhomme make the list as least valuable player, but that's the result of the Panthers off-season blunders. First they franchise Peppers. Then they don't sign him to a long-term contract. After that they don't trade him. Result of all that is that they have to cut other players, and can't sign any free agents that are making more than a rookie minimum. Finally, to stay under the cap because of the Peppers decision, they are forced to extend Delhomme - even though it is obvious he needs to be replaced.

While Peppers and Delhomme stand out (behind JaMarcus Russell) as nominees for this year's Least Valuable Player, the Panthers front office deserves some sort of award too. It's one thing when teams like the Lions or Raiders make bad decisions year after year; it's another when a front office needlessly screws up this badly. If they were going to franchise Peppers, they should have had a plan in place as to what happens next.

Angus Burgher
12-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Agreed, the FO of the Panthers handled the Peppers situation as horribly as possible.

Oh, and speaking of the guy who would probably unanimously win the LVP award, did anyone see JaMarcbust's highlights yesterday? LOL

Seriously, why couldn't Gradcowski get hurt during our game instead of a week later? I'm not advocating that I wanted him to get hurt (I never cheer for injuries)... I'm just saying that if it had to happen, why couldn't it have happened in Pittsburgh. I THINK... or at least I HOPE that the Steelers defense would have been able to hold off JaMarcus Russell. I'm sure they could have. I think. Maybe.

Angus Burgher
12-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Well, good to see that Jay Cutler's still working hard to earn this award. 25 picks with 2 games to go! Think he can make it to 30?

Mewtwo
12-27-2009, 05:19 PM
As much as I know it's bad taste, I'm honestly suprised I came into the Blast Furnace and didn't see at least one Chris Henry joke in this thread, whether by a true troll or someone who's anti-Cincy.

Galax Steeler
12-28-2009, 08:47 AM
I would have to go with Haynesworth he is way over paid and stays hurt all the time.

Angus Burgher
12-28-2009, 04:42 PM
As much as I know it's bad taste, I'm honestly suprised I came into the Blast Furnace and didn't see at least one Chris Henry joke in this thread, whether by a true troll or someone who's anti-Cincy.

Ugh, yeah that would have been evil. Not making a Chris Henry joke here.

Hey, also, regarding Albert Haynesworth...

How about we just nominate the Washington Redskins for the Least Valuable TEAM award?

Sure, their record may be better than a few of the NFL's crap squads, but after watching that game last night, I'd have to say that they are one of the most pathetic looking organizations I've ever seen. It's true, you could have said the same for the Steelers after the loss to the Browns, but I'll give the boys in black and gold credit for at least beating some good teams and still having a chance to finish above .500.

Can't say that for the 'Skins though... a team that hit a "hot streak" by narrowly losing to some good teams and followed it up by win against the Raiders (not impressive at all since they were forced to use JaMarcus Russell) and two ugly losses, one of which was a shutout in their own stadium.

Jason Campbell is an idiot. I've heard all the crap about how he's had so many offensive coordinators and had to learn so many systems, blah blah blah. You can't coach talent. It's simply not there. That team needs a QB who doesn't require the entire game to slow down to Matrix-style bullet time to accommodate him.