PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Mendenhall's Spin Move?

Merchant
12-01-2009, 04:27 PM
He reminds me of Dwight Freeney.. The guy seems to do that spin move every play. I think Collinsworth even pointed it out a few times Sunday night.

Personally I kinda like it. He seems to be gaining an extra yard most of the time.

supa_fly_steeler
12-01-2009, 04:28 PM
im sure he spammed the spin move on madden

Merchant
12-01-2009, 04:29 PM
^I used to spin like crazy on Madden.

Psyychoward86
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I have never seen a 225lb runningback use the spin move so effectively. I'm cool with it, it seems to break tackles just by the sheer shock it gives defenders that a guy so big can turn it up field so quickly :chuckle:

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 04:37 PM
i'm fine with it till he fumbles because of it. its gonna happen sooner or later. spin, the ball hits someones helmet, pops out ....FUMBLE !!!

solardave
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
i'm fine with it till he fumbles because of it. its gonna happen sooner or later. spin, the ball hits someones helmet, pops out ....FUMBLE !!!

Same here. I'm ok with it until.....

Christian Snyder
12-01-2009, 04:39 PM
As said previously, I'm fine with it until he fumbles.:tt05:

SMR
12-01-2009, 04:40 PM

don't be so negative! we're talking about our precious Mendy here!
:tt:

Psyychoward86
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
r u guys serious. Watching him since the Broncos game, Mendy has really gotten a lot better at his ball security, even when he makes a sharp cut or a spin move. I count 3 times during the Broncos game when he almost fumbled. Since then, i've had a hard time worrying about his ball security

Merchant
12-01-2009, 04:41 PM
How does spinning increase the risk of fumbling? :S

I think it's all just about ball security and how you hold it. Adrian Peterson hardly ever spins and he fumbles more than anyone.

MasterOfPuppets
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM

I think it's all just about ball security and how you hold it. Adrian Peterson hardly ever spins and he fumbles more than anyone. the same way diving head first over the pile does.

supa_fly_steeler
12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
heh doesnt adrian peterson fumble the ball so much he sucks compared to chris johnson

Merchant
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM
You can't say AP sucks lol

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 05:01 PM
Who cares?? The kid is a bust...............doesnt anybody remember September around here any more??? :banging:

Angus Burgher
12-01-2009, 05:04 PM
I prefer his spin move to Willie Parkers "run into people and fall backwards" move.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 05:05 PM

I think it's all just about ball security and how you hold it. Adrian Peterson hardly ever spins and he fumbles more than anyone.

Since you asked..........spinning on the axis creates centripetal force, which drives the arms and ball outward and reduces the force applied to hold the ball to the chest. Couple that with the fact that it requires less force to hit the ball out of the grasp from behind, than in front of the runner ...............and its gonna come out easier than if he is hit head on.

Physics 100.

groundhogday
12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
I say keep hitting the circle button Mendy. It's working!

MACH1
12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
All I ask is to wrap both arms around the ball when you do it!

Christian Snyder
12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
I say keep hitting the circle button Mendy. It's working!
Have you been playing Madden way to much? ME TOO!:rofl:

slippy
12-01-2009, 07:04 PM
i'd like to see the spin 6 times a season, not six times a quarter.

when you spin you take your eyes off the blocking for a split second. most of the time those creases only stay open for a split second.

no spin for me.

devilsdancefloor
12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Sometimes he spins when he should be looking for a crease IMHO. I dont mind it, but he does it to often.

jjpro11
12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
if it were a problem, the coaching staff would be trying to put a stop to it.. i haven't noticed any reduction in spins since he took over Parker.

VASteelerGuy
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Since you asked..........spinning on the axis creates centripetal force, which drives the arms and ball outward and reduces the force applied to hold the ball to the chest. Couple that with the fact that it requires less force to hit the ball out of the grasp from behind, than in front of the runner ...............and its gonna come out easier than if he is hit head on.

Physics 100.

aaaaahhhhh all except for the fact (Physics 200) that you can't possibly create enough centripetal force at the rate he would be spinning, nor would he be extended in his position of holding the ball. Sorry, the only impact here is the likelyhood of additional contact during a spin v. the straight forward constant motion. You're more likely to not be able to know what that contact will be during a spin v. forward motion.

Steeldude
12-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Sometimes he spins when he should be looking for a crease IMHO

yep.

i would rather hit a RB with his back to me than one running right at me with his legs churning.

El-Gonzo Jackson
12-01-2009, 07:18 PM
aaaaahhhhh all except for the fact (Physics 200) that you can't possibly create enough centripetal force at the rate he would be spinning, nor would he be extended in his position of holding the ball. Sorry, the only impact here is the likelyhood of additional contact during a spin v. the straight forward constant motion. You're more likely to not be able to know what that contact will be during a spin v. forward motion.

but you have to admit that force is applied outward while spinning, no matter how small it may be. Its like a figure skater spinning, where their arms are naturally pulled outward during their spin.

In a game where every little edge counts. There is an outward force. More likely its tougher to maintain 4 points of contact on the football as well while spinning around also. (that 4 points of contact is football 101) :wink:

tony hipchest
12-01-2009, 07:26 PM
tomlins lack of spittle
arians play calling
lebeaus soft coverage
ben holding onto the ball too long
willies back to the line
holmes bicep
wards mouth
ikes hands
sweeds lack of focus
troys knee
colons false starts
bill gay
starks lack of mean streak
hartwig is not mahan, hartings, dermonti, or webster,
reeds tackling
logans lack of a td return
clarks laying wood instead of wrapping up
woodleys extra 10 lbs
harrison held on every play
hampton on the wrong size of 30 and constantly overweight
all our rookies besides wallace being inactive busts
wallace fumbling and outrunning the pass

dont we have far more important things to worry about besides mendenhalls spin?

:chuckle:

SteelersMongol
12-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Funny. U guys make me laugh. I could use few laughter after 3 straight loses.

VASteelerGuy
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
but you have to admit that force is applied outward while spinning, no matter how small it may be. Its like a figure skater spinning, where their arms are naturally pulled outward during their spin.

In a game where every little edge counts. There is an outward force. More likely its tougher to maintain 4 points of contact on the football as well while spinning around also. (that 4 points of contact is football 101) :wink:

Actually grab a football at home, tuck it in and spin...as fast as you think he is.....that ball is fine. Figure skater is spinning much faster and trying to achieve that motion.

fansince'76
12-01-2009, 08:51 PM
tomlins lack of spittle
arians play calling
lebeaus soft coverage
ben holding onto the ball too long
willies back to the line
holmes bicep
wards mouth
ikes hands
sweeds lack of focus
troys knee
colons false starts
bill gay
starks lack of mean streak
hartwig is not mahan, hartings, dermonti, or webster,
reeds tackling
logans lack of a td return
clarks laying wood instead of wrapping up
woodleys extra 10 lbs
harrison held on every play
hampton on the wrong size of 30 and constantly overweight
all our rookies besides wallace being inactive busts
wallace fumbling and outrunning the pass

You forgot one: Timmons is a bust and we need to trade him before everyone else figures out that he sucks - or not, in which case we won't be able to afford to resign him in 5 years. :toofunny:

Merchant
12-01-2009, 09:22 PM

Physics 100.

Well played good sir. Well played:hatsoff:

tony hipchest
12-01-2009, 09:29 PM
You forgot one: Timmons is a bust and we need to trade him before everyone else figures out that he sucks - or not, in which case we won't be able to afford to resign him in 5 years. :toofunny: :doh: i knew i was forgetting 1 or 2. i only intentionally left out sepulveda and miller cause they really can do no wrong (granted heath did drop like his 5th career pass vs chiefs for a game turning int).

LVSteelersfan
12-01-2009, 10:00 PM
I am not a big fan of the spin in traffic. It is ok out in space against one person but in traffic I get nervous every time I see it. The best running backs use the quick move to the right or left (instead of a spin move) that fakes them out of their socks. Supposedly coming out of college Mendenhall had that ability. I wish he would do that once in awhile instead of becoming predictable with that spin. The other teams will study it and have someone there to knock his block off and jar the ball loose.

Psyychoward86
12-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Sometimes he spins when he should be looking for a crease IMHO. I dont mind it, but he does it to often.

spin moves create new creases or openings

sherlock
12-01-2009, 11:56 PM

Indeed tony,
what about Santonio`s white socks?....at first I wasn`t too keen but he did score a TD so perhaps he should stick with them.:noidea:

Steeldude
12-02-2009, 12:13 AM
what about Santonio`s white socks?....

i wonder if he received a fine for it. it's been awhile since i have seen the dress code for the NFL, but i think i remember something in regards to socks and certain color combos... i can't quite remember the specifics.

Merchant
12-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Are you guys actually discussing Santonio's white socks?

Galax Steeler
12-02-2009, 03:45 AM
All I can say if the spin move works for Mendenhall then I am fine with it. I was at first afraid he was going to fumble when doing it I am starting to get used to it now.

SteelMember
12-02-2009, 10:25 AM
Actually, I think the spin move accentuates his "glide and suddeness". :chuckle:

supa_fly_steeler
12-02-2009, 10:33 AM
When santonio wore the white socks, he hid the black, in the second half he restyled his socks and showed the black bit at the top lol

Dino 6 Rings
12-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Anyone else notice that whenever Collingsworth calls a Steelers game he wears a tie that is the color of the opposing team?

drucifer
12-02-2009, 11:24 AM
At first I wasn't sure what to think about the spin move, but he's using it very effectively. :tt:

I prefer his spin move to Willie Parkers "run into people and fall backwards" move.

No way, man! He uses that move to get into the heads of the defense! :sofunny:

StainlessStill
12-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Actually, I think the spin move accentuates his "glide and suddeness". :chuckle:

I'm glad this topic has been brought up. This concerns me and I was about to make this a topic myself. It's going to be a double edged sword, eventually in my opinion. Even though his spin gains maybe an extra yard or two AT TIMES, he should still take his chances of squaring his shoulders and following forward with power and maybe he could break one. I'm sure his conscience is following him after he broke his collar bone.

But make no mistake about it, he needs to master this before he coughs it up in a big game, at a crucial point in whatever game, and it IS coming folks. The defense will see this, and rip that ball from Mendy so fast that Mendy wouldn't know what hit him. I'm worried but at the same time, if he perfects it, he should still use it, but it's a caution.

Indo
12-02-2009, 11:29 AM
You forgot one: Timmons is a bust and we need to trade him before everyone else figures out that he sucks - or not, in which case we won't be able to afford to resign him in 5 years. :toofunny:

Here's another:

STs staying in their lanes

Texasteel
12-02-2009, 11:32 AM
I like the move as long as he doesn't over use it. If defenses start looking for it I'm a little afraid he may catch a shoulder pad in the middle of his back, causing him to cough up the ball and several vertebra.

Indo
12-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Here's actually what worries me---

I will refer everyone to the Oilers game back in (?) '76-- I think--when Earl Campbell did his famous spin move and came out of the spin right into Donnie Shell's helmet.
Busted his ribs and put him out of action.

I'm actually impressed by the use of the term "centripetal" force (and not the incorrect "centrifugal" force). Are you a Physics teacher Gonzo (we may all remember that HS football coaches must also be teachers for the school that they coach). I'm getting the image of a big, burly line coach teaching force vectors and potential vs. kinetic energy to a bunch of adolescents! F=ma, and all that !

My other 2 cents---I think the throwing out of the arms when spinning may be partially related to the centripetal force, but I believe that the real reason is that it is a Balance issue---in the same way that a cheetah in pursuit of prey uses its tail to counterbalance its body when making quick turns, the spinning RB unconciously does the same thing

The_WARDen
12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I dunno...

In 8 games as the starter:

151 rushes for 739 yds with 4 TDs. That's a healthy 4.9 yds per carry and 92 YPG.

Keep doing whatever he's doing....it's working.

Nadroj 20
12-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I agree with Warden, what ever it is that hes doing keep it up.... with the production hes had i dont care what he does. If spinning starts to become a problem meaning he fumbles it when doing it then ill start to be concerned by it but until then (lets hope it never comes to that) keep it up mendy!!!!!

SteelMember
12-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I'm glad this topic has been brought up. This concerns me and I was about to make this a topic myself. It's going to be a double edged sword, eventually in my opinion. Even though his spin gains maybe an extra yard or two AT TIMES, he should still take his chances of squaring his shoulders and following forward with power and maybe he could break one. I'm sure his conscience is following him after he broke his collar bone.

But make no mistake about it, he needs to master this before he coughs it up in a big game, at a crucial point in whatever game, and it IS coming folks. The defense will see this, and rip that ball from Mendy so fast that Mendy wouldn't know what hit him. I'm worried but at the same time, if he perfects it, he should still use it, but it's a caution.

Now, I haven't done extensive research on this, but if it becomes crutial to the discussion, I will.

As far as I can recall, he has only used the spin move in traffic, near the line. This may be his way of getting skinny and not taking a straight on hit in the hole. (Although, this may be the most dangerous location when talking turnovers.) When I see him in the open field in a one on one situation, he seems to lower the boom if he has the chance.

Also, I think he has done this awhile now, so its not a result of his injury (protecting it)... but you never know.

I like the move as long as he doesn't over use it. If defenses start looking for it I'm a little afraid he may catch a shoulder pad in the middle of his back, causing him to cough up the ball and several vertebra.

You mean like commentators throwing out obscure references of "Dorothy Hamill". :doh:

Galax Steeler
12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Anyone else notice that whenever Collingsworth calls a Steelers game he wears a tie that is the color of the opposing team?

That is something I have never noticed but I will look for it next time.

HAWK
12-03-2009, 12:55 PM
I'm surprised Mendenhall doesn't spin his way back to the huddle.

steelerzfannforever
12-03-2009, 01:05 PM
I am fine with it and actually it works very well for him. Saying its ok until he fumbles is like saying its ok for Ben to throw the ball until he throws a pick! Its part of his game and he should continue to do it.

SteelCityMom
12-03-2009, 01:16 PM
He's going to cough up the ball sometimes...it happens to everyone. I do get a little nervous when he does the spin move though. Sometimes it's worked very well in his favor for picking up a few good yards so it can't be all bad.

He's impressed me with his play for the most part this year, so I can't complain about anything he does too much.

ricardisimo
12-03-2009, 02:25 PM
The spin is nice, it's signature to some extent. Keep it up.

Borski
12-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Here's another:

STs staying in their lanes

We should sign the ST's Pigeon from the Raiders, he knows how to cover his lane.

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-05-2009, 08:13 AM
I've always hated the spin move in traffic. At the line, you should have as much forward momentum going as possible (depending on your offensive scheme), and spinning reduces that momentum. It the play is a cutback type of play, you are kinda hunting for a crease to explode through, but he does not seem to hit the hole very hard. I always taught RB's to get small, protect the ball and explode, but again it depends on what your scheme is. Regardless of what move that he uses, all three points of the ball need to be covered or you risk a fumble. The spin puts you at a blind spot of that filling safety(Imagine turning your back, spinning, and not seeing Troy coming to fill a gap....not pretty). For some, that is just their style, but if it (ball security) becomes a problem, you've got to make some adjustments in that style. Defenses and D-Coordinators aren't stupid, and they will look for a way to exploit it, and they will teach the d-line to try to get a hand in there.

Now, I haven't done extensive research on this, but if it becomes crutial to the discussion, I will.

As far as I can recall, he has only used the spin move in traffic, near the line. This may be his way of getting skinny and not taking a straight on hit in the hole. (Although, this may be the most dangerous location when talking turnovers.) When I see him in the open field in a one on one situation, he seems to lower the boom if he has the chance.

Also, I think he has done this awhile now, so its not a result of his injury (protecting it)... but you never know.

You mean like commentators throwing out obscure references of "Dorothy Hamill". :doh:

markymarc
12-05-2009, 11:43 AM
I am fine with anything Mendenhall does including his spin move. Rashard has been a huge boost to our rushing attack. Keep spinning and running hard!