PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, Charlie

Raw Steel
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
Anyone else wonder why Charlie Batch is still occupying one of the 53 roster spots?

Don't get me wrong. I love the guy. He is a good backup and a great Steeler off the field, but he is also out for at least three more games, possibly all five. We need to win these games which means you might need every roster spot.

Let's face it. If he does come back and Ben goes down, aren't we done anyway? What's Charlie going to do? Keep us afloat in a couple games?

Again, I LOVE Batch. But Tomlin needs to do what's best for the team and that's put Charlie on IR and use that spot for a player that possibly could help this team or at least provide some depth.

SteelerEmpire
12-01-2009, 09:04 PM
Some of the decisions relating to dismissals has to go (and get approval) of the Rooney's ..... The Rooney's have more pull than probably any other single owner in the NFL... but that has been a good thing so far....

CaseyHamburglar
12-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Once Charlie is finished as a player, I would love to keep him around as an assistant.

LVSteelersfan
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
I also think Charlie is done. I have no idea in the world why the Steelers didn't try harder to sign Lefty and instead kept Charlie's way overpaid contract. They offered Lefty a pittance. I know he wanted to start somewhere but look how that has turned out.

Galax Steeler
12-02-2009, 05:01 AM
I also think Charlie is done. I have no idea in the world why the Steelers didn't try harder to sign Lefty and instead kept Charlie's way overpaid contract. They offered Lefty a pittance. I know he wanted to start somewhere but look how that has turned out.

That was more of Leftys decision to move on like you said he wanted to start somewhere else and it didn't work out.

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 09:34 AM
I love Charlie as a person and he embodies what it takes to be a Pittsburgh Steeler in the locker room, but I really feel he should retire at season's end and take a job "inside" of the Steelers organization. Charlie is a very smart guy and has "a way" with his teammates and I'm sure the Steelers will want to keep him on in some capacity, but not as the backup to Ben any longer.

Angus Burgher
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
I fail to understand any of our roster decisions. We're keeping Charlie as active despite the fact that he isn't, and they just cut Isaac Redman again.

I'm starting to feel like Tomlin is overwhelmed this season.

AllD
12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I fail to understand any of our roster decisions. We're keeping Charlie as active despite the fact that he isn't, and they just cut Isaac Redman again.

I bet Tomlin goes through a roll of TUMS everyday.

Steeldude
12-02-2009, 08:55 PM
because if the steelers make it to the playoffs they will have a veteran QB in case BR goes down. that's my opinion.

FacemeIke
12-03-2009, 11:05 AM

I sort of agree that Tomlin's roster decisions are hard to understand. I still don't get cutting Arnold Harrison and bringing back Woods. Arnold Harrison has been with the organization a while now and wasn't the problem on special teams. Woods was on the roster for one week, we had another special teams TD given up and Woods was cut again. At least we finally bench Sweed though, so I can't complain too much! HA

Indo
12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
I agree, it's hard to understand the thought process going on in the FO over the past several weeks...but I, personally, believe that they know what they are doing.
Yes, there have been errors in the past, but the past is the past. Gotta have Faith that those who brought us 6 have a pretty good idea of how to properly run a football team

As for Charlie---like most, I love the guy. And it is probably time for him to hang up the cleats. I also believe that we need to keep him as a coach...he seems to be one of those guys who doesn't have all of the talent, but does have the Understanding (like Tomlin)

Bus36RollsUrlacher
12-05-2009, 11:12 AM
I remember hearing somewhere (maybe in an interview or something) that Charlie Batch is like having another coach on the sidelines and he works really well with Ben. I think that his goal is to be a coach once his playing days are over, which may be sooner than later.