PDA

View Full Version : ? for the sig makers...

stillers4me
12-02-2009, 09:03 AM
What program do you use?

Christian Snyder
12-02-2009, 09:34 AM
First of all, I'm NOT a sig maker. But I do know that some people use Paintshop to make sigs. At least that's what they used on the WW2 forums I belong to.:grin:

stillers4me
12-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Does anyone know if Photoshop can do it?

Nadroj 20
12-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Does anyone know if Photoshop can do it?

I think so, i dont make sigs but im pretty sure ive heard thats what some people use.

stillers4me
12-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Right now they are both on sale for the holidays but one is more expensive than the other. Photo shop is available with alot of support. I would like to have both photo editing ability and learn to make my own sigs.

Any opinions from experienced users would be greatly appreciated.

T.Richardson
12-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Adobe Photoshop is what the majority uses. I know some people that use Gimp.

stillers4me
12-02-2009, 04:29 PM
Adobe Photoshop is what the majority uses. I know some people that use Gimp.

Thank you. Photoshop is a little more expensive, but the plus version comes with alot of tutorials and support.

Can I get by with Photoshop Elements 8? Will it do the sigs?

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I have a pretty creative mind, though I've never been artistic. I can't even draw a stick man. :chuckle: However, I've always wanted Photoshop and am hoping Santa is good to me this year! :hope:

stillers4me
12-02-2009, 05:09 PM
I have a pretty creative mind, though I've never been artistic. I can't even draw a stick man. :chuckle: However, I've always wanted Photoshop and am hoping Santa is good to me this year! :hope:

I may download the trial version after Christmas when I'll have more time to check it out. I have Print Artist and I can do some neat stuff with it....but it's not as sophisticated as Photoshop. I did that picture of Chad Ochoasshole and the donkey from Shrek with it. It's pretty primitive and I've always want to try the real thing.

Photoshop has a $20 rebate online thru March.

T.Richardson
12-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Thank you. Photoshop is a little more expensive, but the plus version comes with alot of tutorials and support.

Can I get by with Photoshop Elements 8? Will it do the sigs?

Yep it will do sigs. The tutorials will teach you how to do sigs, so thats a plus.

But there is Gimp which is free btw, but its not as good as photoshop, though I have seen other peoples sigs using Gimp, and they are surprisingly good,...but its up to you.

Here's the site to Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) if your interested.

iloveben7
12-02-2009, 11:24 PM
I use photoshop!
But you have to know how to use the program.

stillers4me
12-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Thanks guys! I think I download the trial version of Photoshop after the holidays and play with it a bit. I think it would be worth the money for me to pay for the Plus membership at least for the first year to the extra help. I've always wanted to learn to do the sigs.

Where do you get the backgrounds and such? They are called tubes? Are there sites you get them from? (be prepared for me to drive a couple of you nuts with questions. ) :sofunny:

And I do believe that Photoshop in HTG's hands sounds dangerous. :chuckle:

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 06:45 AM
I may download the trial version after Christmas when I'll have more time to check it out. I have Print Artist and I can do some neat stuff with it....but it's not as sophisticated as Photoshop. I did that picture of Chad Ochoasshole and the donkey from Shrek with it. It's pretty primitive and I've always want to try the real thing.

Photoshop has a $20 rebate online thru March.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup: Photoshop is definitely on my wish list this year. :hope: :thumbsup:

Vincent
12-05-2009, 01:28 PM
I have had the Corel suite, which has a "PhotoShop" analog, and have various Adobe "Elements" apps as well. While I'm not a graphics professional, I have extensive experience in concept and presentation development and delivery from decades in the corporate rat race.

That said, most of us have two very valuable applications on our PCs - PaintBrush and PowerPoint that have tools to do fairly sophisticated stuff. I have run into only a few situations that I had to go outside those two, and those were due to the limitations of vendors that "just had to" have PSDs to work with.

I do custom McFarlanes as a hobby. I do all the graphics in those two apps. They're relatively easy to use, have lots of good tools, and are probably within your reach.

Before investing in another app, try these to get a feel for graphics and see if you really need to buy more stuff.