PDA

View Full Version : Ike Taylor! Overrated, Inconsistent or Underperforming

supa_fly_steeler
12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
Everyone is moaning at William Gay, the number 2 corner on the team, but the number 1 corner hasn't done atlot better this year, infact he's probably played better than Ike these past few matches, Ike is getting beat deep in coverage by retired veterans and fast not speedy guys like Sidney Rice, i haven't seen William Gay been beat deep this year.

Speed isn't everything you need as a corner, and it seems that is all what Ike had this year, i have never heard of a number 1 corner without an interception, when i go through all the teams they have at least 1 or more, i know the way we defend and give them space, but interceptions often reflect a corners year.

Ike has most of the tools to become a great corner but he just isn't performing well this year. He has been tackling well but that is where most blind dumbass people come in and say william gay or ike taylor/both have been missing tackles, i have watched every steeler football match, and they both make tackle well, rarely miss. William Gay might of been trucked 1 play, 1 play does not make 1000 plays over the season. Same with Ike if he misses a tackle, 80%+ of the time they make them, sometimes even behind the line of scrimmage on screen plays.

Let's not forget it is William Gays first full year as a starter, and when your a Steeler alot is expected, let's not forget that and think he is our Cornerback who is the Messiah who will take us the promised land each game. Gradually i do think he will be good, even better than Ike Taylor why? Because he can intercept.

People have to remember that on the enemy line of scrimmage there are some decent or great proffessional atheletes that will outsmart our defence, we are not invincible and will not deliver a shutout each game or a Super Bowl each year.

I've heard comments on many forums asking for Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis to replace both our corners, i just thank God each day they do not own the team.

I do think Ike is not Overated, but Underperforming this year, it seems without Polamalu our defence in coverage is cripple and understandable, take Drew Brees off the New Orleans Saints and they become shit all round.

What are your opinions this year? Underperforming is my opinion.

May i just remind some people, i asked how William Gay and Lawrence Timmons have done so far, this was before we started the 3 game loss streak, as soon as we lose a game heads turn, and fans turn on players. Some fans were kissing Gays ass in this thread and now are directly calling him the shittest corner in the league.
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=41869

Sorry if you find this as a stupid thread, it's kind of mixed feelings for me, i am defending the corners but showing what areas they have been poor in.

eafratitpm3
12-02-2009, 09:57 AM
Everyone is moaning at William Gay, the number 2 corner on the team, but the number 1 corner hasn't done atlot better this year, infact he's probably played better than Ike these past few matches, Ike is getting beat deep in coverage by retired veterans and fast not speedy guys like Sidney Rice, i haven't seen William Gay been beat deep this year.

Speed isn't everything you need as a corner, and it seems that is all what Ike had this year, i have never heard of a number 1 corner without an interception, when i go through all the teams they have at least 1 or more, i know the way we defend and give them space, but interceptions often reflect a corners year.

Ike has most of the tools to become a great corner but he just isn't performing well this year. He has been tackling well but that is where most blind dumbass people come in and say william gay or ike taylor/both have been missing tackles, i have watched every steeler football match, and they both make tackle well, rarely miss. William Gay might of been trucked 1 play, 1 play does not make 1000 plays over the season. Same with Ike if he misses a tackle, 80%+ of the time they make them, sometimes even behind the line of scrimmage on screen plays.

Let's not forget it is William Gays first full year as a starter, and when your a Steeler alot is expected, let's not forget that and think he is our Cornerback who is the Messiah who will take us the promised land each game. Gradually i do think he will be good, even better than Ike Taylor why? Because he can intercept.

People have to remember that on the enemy line of scrimmage there are some decent or great proffessional atheletes that will outsmart our defence, we are not invincible and will deliver a shutout each game.

I've heard comments on many forums asking for Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis to replace both our corners, i just thank God each day they do not own out team.

I do think Ike is not Overated, but Underperforming this year, it seems without Polamalu our defence in coverage is cripple and understandable, take Drew Brees off the New Orleans Saints and they become shit all round.

May i just remind some people, i asked how William Gay and Lawrence Timmons have done so far, this was before we started the 3 game loss streak, as soon as we lose a game heads turn, and fans turn on players. Some fans were kissing Gays ass in this thread and now are directly calling him the shittest corner in the league.

Sorry if you find this as a stupid thread, it's kind of mixed feelings for me, i am defending the corners but showing what areas they have been poor in.

Here is a post of mine from another thread:
As I've posted numerous times Ike Taylor is way overrated. I laugh at how many Steeler fans say he's a great shut down corner. He never get's his head around when running down the field with a receiver and most of the time when a ball is thrown to the receiver that he is covering it is either off the mark or the receiver drops it and Ike acts like he made the play. If he was a true shut down corner why does he play 10-12 yards off the receiver. Granted when Troy is out he is the best we have in the secondary and that's not saying much.

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 10:00 AM
Ike is like any other player. He's the greatest during the 98% of the time he performs his job well (with the exception that he has stone hands....but if he didn't, he could play WR), and a completely useless piece of garbage who needs to be cut or traded to the fans on the 2% of the time he makes mistakes or fails.

He had a bad game. That's all.

devilsdancefloor
12-02-2009, 10:07 AM
As I've posted numerous times Ike Taylor is way overrated. I laugh at how many Steeler fans say he's a great shut down corner. He never get's his head around when running down the field with a receiver and most of the time when a ball is thrown to the receiver that he is covering it is either off the mark or the receiver drops it and Ike acts like he made the play. If he was a true shut down corner why does he play 10-12 yards off the receiver. Granted when Troy is out he is the best we have in the secondary and that's not saying much.

i actually seen him in masons grill most of the night so he wasnt giving that big cushion. Ike had a bad game it happens. for the most part the steelers secondary is playing like pooh and i am not talking about winnie either. So saying oh it is gays fault or taylors fault or whomever else in our secondary it is their collective fault. safeties need to be in good positions and they are NOT. the blame falls on ALL of them. But i have the faith that they will turn it around:tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04::tt04:

StainlessStill
12-02-2009, 10:18 AM

People have to remember that on the enemy line of scrimmage there are some decent or great proffessional atheletes that will outsmart our defence, we are not invincible and will not deliver a shutout each game or a Super Bowl each year.

I've heard comments on many forums asking for Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis to replace both our corners, i just thank God each day they do not own the team.

I only had to read the title and STOPPED there. In my opinion, Ike Taylor is an ALL-PRO and the only reason the man doesn't make it is because he simply can't catch a BALL for his life and we all know things of that nature are measured by stats and interceptions alone. Still, you can't deny his performances and is possibly one of the best shut down corners of the game today and has been blanketing teams top receivers for years now. Taylor is Pro Bowl status.

So Ike had one bad game, big deal. He was in position each time. To my understanding, it's Willie Gay the one that teams are picking on. If Ike could catch a ball, He'd be on the same level as Revis or Baily.

supa_fly_steeler
12-02-2009, 10:23 AM
I only had to read the title and STOPPED there. In my opinion, Ike Taylor is an ALL-PRO and the only reason the man doesn't make it is because he simply can't catch a BALL for his life and we all know things of that nature are measured by stats and interceptions alone. Still, you can't deny his performances and is possibly one of the best shut down corners of the game today and have been blanketing teams top receivers for years no. Pro Bowl status.

So Ike had one bad game, big deal. He was in position each time. To my understanding, it's Willie Gay the one that teams are picking on. If Ike could catch a ball, He'd be on the same level as Revis or Baily.

I'm not hating on Taylor, They might pick on Gay because he is the new guy learning Lebeau's massive playbook, He had a bad game in Baltimore but all the hate is to Gay and not Ike, i have never seen a #1 reciever who cant catch for shit, he hasn't had just 1 bad game this year, he didn't have a good game against Tennessee, Minnesota, Baltimore and Cincinnati away.

William Gay hasn't surrendered a touchdown yet, Ike has surrendered all the cornerback touchdowns to lead me to him being underperforming, whenever Flacco was in the redzone or in territory he went taylors side of the ball, but in his own half he went to Gay.

I love Ike but i'm just stating that both are good, but having bad years and hopefully can unleash hell in the remaining games of the season and hopefully the post season.

scsteeler
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Ike is like any other player. He's the greatest during the 98% of the time he performs his job well (with the exception that he has stone hands....but if he didn't, he could play WR), and a completely useless piece of garbage who needs to be cut or traded to the fans on the 2% of the time he makes mistakes or fails.

:applaudit::applaudit:

Steelillini
12-02-2009, 10:37 AM
I think Ike has a Super Bowl hangover as most of the team. Remember that after the 05 season he got benched that next year. I think the whole team is complacent and as much as they said it wouldn't happen again it has. It is human nature........

BlastFurnace
12-02-2009, 11:02 AM
If Ike could catch, fans would view his performance much differently. He's a solid corner.

On the other hand, William Gay.......hopefully, will return to nickel back next season.

SteelStang
12-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Dead on accurate! I also love these posts that say 'the only thing keeping him from being All-Pro is that he can't catch.' Well, if you look at the DB's who are consistently all-pro, they usually have a lot of picks so until he catches the ball it isn't going to happen.

steeltheone
12-02-2009, 11:23 AM
We would be in DEEP trouble without Ike!

GeneralRobinson
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
I think Ike has problems with fade routes and locating the ball on deep passes. He also tends to be content with playing the man on deep balls rather than attenpting to look back and find the ball so that he can defend the pass. As long as Ike keeps the ball in front of him, he has a higher chance of success defending passes. This is where missing Troy has an effect because he covers so much ground on deep passes that Ike does not get exposed as much.

The_WARDen
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
just when I don't think the idiocy can get any stronger...it does.

eafratitpm3
12-02-2009, 12:21 PM
We would be in DEEP trouble without Ike!

Yeah because we're doing great right now.

fansince'76
12-02-2009, 12:37 PM
Yeah because we're doing great right now.

Two words: Chad Scott. Two more words: Dewayne Washington. We've been in FAR worse shape than we currently are CB-wise, and quite recently too.

SteelMember
12-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Two words: Chad Scott. Two more words: Dewayne Washington. We've been in FAR worse shape than we currently are CB-wise, and quite recently too.

Deon Figures.

supa_fly_steeler
12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Dead on accurate! I also love these posts that say 'the only thing keeping him from being All-Pro is that he can't catch.' Well, if you look at the DB's who are consistently all-pro, they usually have a lot of picks so until he catches the ball it isn't going to happen.

Yea i agree with that, it's like saying until Beanie Wells has Chris Johnson speed he can't be the best *just an example*

IMO we are no better off of having William Gay in the lineup with Ike Taylor.

If you look at stat wise, William Gay has had the far better season.

And i don't think William Gay is going to return to nickle anytime soon with Dick Lebeau naming him "Steelers Most Fundamental Cornerback"

Indo
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM

Absolutely agree with you

But wouldn't it be nice to see the likes of Woodson or JT Thomas again?
Hell, I'll stop being selfish and take just Blount...

StainlessStill
12-02-2009, 01:01 PM
Deon Figures.

Brent Alexander.

Look, I don't get the Ike Taylor hate, the dude is BY FAR our best cover corner and without him we'd be completely hopeless. He got caught on a fade (not his strong point) and a couple pick ons here and there.. he certainly didn't have as bad as a game as Willie Gay, but this is the NFL, it's all about responding. Deion Sanders had a fair share of bad games as well. Give Ike a break, he's hardly the issue.

fansince'76
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM

Yep. But we do have Troy, and he's a once-in-a-generation player himself. Don't want to seem too greedy.

The_WARDen
12-02-2009, 01:03 PM

I totally agree! Having a HOF corner would be better than what they have now.

The_WARDen
12-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Brent Alexander.

Look, I don't get the Ike Taylor hate, the dude is BY FAR our best cover corner and without him we'd be completely hopeless. He got caught on a fade (not his strong point) and a couple pick ons here and there.. he certainly didn't have as bad as a game as Willie Gay, but this is the NFL, it's all about responding. Deion Sanders had a fair share of bad games as well. Give Ike a break, he's hardly the issue.

but they lost....someone MUST be sacrificed!

StainlessStill
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
but they lost....someone MUST be sacrificed!

Could be worse Steelers fans.. did you see that PUKE defensive showing from the New England Cheatriots*** the other night? :hatsoff:

supa_fly_steeler
12-02-2009, 01:12 PM
Brent Alexander.

Nobody is hating on Ike, he isn't the ALL-PRO corner that we all think he is, rookie Jarius Byrd is what i will call an all-pro, darrell revis, charles woodson. He may cover like an ALL-PRO at times but he certainly doesn't takeaway like an all-pro

Ike was creamed by Randy Moss when the teams met in 2007, but in Revis second year he only let moss get 20 yards... that is what i call all-pro.

Ike isn't the issue i agree, nor is William Gay, It may be we are playing to conservative, but that is 2 games in a row where Ike Taylor has underperformed. Maybe it's just this year that our secondary is horrifying to watch. They were awesome last year.

Indo
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Yep. But we do have Troy, and he's a once-in-a-generation player himself. Don't want to seem too greedy.

Aw, C'Mon MAN!

Just because he's the Best player in the Game (IMO) doesn't mean we can't dream...

onefortheotherhand
12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
It just really annoys me how he pretends hes the greatist after making a good tackle and showboats and then gets blown away by a receiver.

Steel-Bryan
12-02-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm not hating on Taylor, They might pick on Gay because he is the new guy learning Lebeau's massive playbook, He had a bad game in Baltimore but all the hate is to Gay and not Ike, i have never seen a #1 reciever who cant catch for shit, he hasn't had just 1 bad game this year, he didn't have a good game against Tennessee, Minnesota, Baltimore and Cincinnati away.

William Gay hasn't surrendered a touchdown yet, Ike has surrendered all the cornerback touchdowns to lead me to him being underperforming, whenever Flacco was in the redzone or in territory he went taylors side of the ball, but in his own half he went to Gay.

I love Ike but i'm just stating that both are good, but having bad years and hopefully can unleash hell in the remaining games of the season and hopefully the post season.

Mannn, Gay has been trucked, juked out of his socks, stiff armed, and burnt this season.

FacemeIke
12-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Ike shuts down receivers to the point where the ball isnt even thrown his way most of the game. Instead they throw at Willie Gay's side of the field and then everyone bitches and moans about how he's getting picked on. I'd take Ike over any CB in the league. Last week he got beat deep once (when Clark was out of position on his help coverage) and he had a pass interference penalty, otherwise he was pretty damn good and that was his WORSE game of the season!? Even in his worse game of the season he was pretty damn good.

FacemeIke
12-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Lets also not forget the fact that we blitz more then any team in the league, that means our corners, both Ike and Gay are going to be left out on an island more often then any other corners in the league. When that happens there will be occasions that you are going to get beat no matter who you are. Ike takes the other teams best receiver, plays him man up all game and most games shuts him down. Not sure what there is to bitch about here.

The_WARDen
12-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Ike shuts down receivers to the point where the ball isnt even thrown his way most of the game. Instead they throw at Willie Gay's side of the field and then everyone bitches and moans about how he's getting picked on. I'd take Ike over any CB in the league. Last week he got beat deep once (when Clark was out of position on his help coverage) and he had a pass interference penalty, otherwise he was pretty damn good and that was his WORSE game of the season!? Even in his worse game of the season he was pretty damn good.

There's a guy in Oakland and another on the Jets that I'd take over him.

SteelMember
12-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Swagga' :chuckle:

There were plenty of breakdowns in the game. To try and hang it on one player, coach, or decision is practically impossible. I wonder if people would have the same approach if we were attempting to pin a single play, drive, or decision on a win...

The whole is the sum of it's parts.

I know that sounds Star Trekkie, but you get my point.

willie_district
12-03-2009, 08:55 AM
If you look at stat wise, William Gay has had the far better season.

And i don't think William Gay is going to return to nickle anytime soon with Dick Lebeau naming him "Steelers Most Fundamental Cornerback"

Huh? You should just change your sig already so you don't have to continue defending Gay, because his play has been pretty pathetic as of late.

supa_fly_steeler
12-03-2009, 09:40 AM
Huh? You should just change your sig already so you don't have to continue defending Gay, because his play has been pretty pathetic as of late.

Oh please all you calling Ike an ALL-PRO, sidney rice the #3 reciever on the depth chart burned his ass and he couldnt even stop kenny britt.

He will never be an all-pro, he may shut out recievers (thats questionable at times) but he doesn't have the full package.

theres no ****ing good of having this so called best cornerback with no takeaways.

You dont need to shutdown the reciever when you have polamalu it's all a big excuse, put him in oakland or st louis and he wouldn't do half a good job.

And where was i blaming him for a loss?????

He has 1 takeaway in nearly 2 years playing, thats ****ing poor for a #1 cornerback.

If i had an option i would throw Ike's way all day long, because he can't catch, it's either going to be an incompletion or a completion.

Ike is one of my favourite steelers, he just hasn't played very well of late, again i hope that changes against oakland and beyond.

SteelMember
12-03-2009, 10:05 AM
And where was i blaming him for a loss?????

"May i just remind some people, i asked how William Gay and Lawrence Timmons have done so far, this was before we started the 3 game loss streak, as soon as we lose a game heads turn, and fans turn on players. Some fans were kissing Gays ass in this thread and now are directly calling him the shittest corner in the league."

IF you are talking to me, I was referring to the above... NOT you directly.

Ike is still better than Willie at this point imho, so don't deflect attention away from Gay by calling out Taylor... at least that's how it appears.

They both had bad games, and have plenty of room for improvement.

supa_fly_steeler
12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
IF you are talking to me, I was referring to the above... NOT you directly.

Ike is still better than Willie at this point imho, so don't deflect attention away from Gay by calling out Taylor... at least that's how it appears.

They both had bad games, and have plenty of room for improvement.

no i wasn't directing at anyone/blaming, i respect everyone's posts on this board but i find it frustrating that 1 week timmons is the blame the next gay, but our key players never get the fault.

I do agree with you on them improving.

SteelMember
12-03-2009, 01:23 PM
no i wasn't directing at anyone/blaming, i respect everyone's posts on this board but i find it frustrating that 1 week timmons is the blame the next gay, but our key players never get the fault.

I do agree with you on them improving.

:drink:

William has a lot of potential. He has definitely shown flashes. As you said, this is his first year as a starter. When he gets more comfortable with the defense, he will be able to play subconsciously, and trust his instincts. He's still a bit cautious, and keeps they play in front of him (which isn't always bad), but he needs to be able to close the gap and stay in the play when the ball arrives.

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 02:32 PM

:thumbsup::applaudit:

That's about it in a nutshell. Ike is one of the most consistent players on our D and though he has mortar hands, he does what he is paid to do the majority of the time and does it well.

Atranox
12-03-2009, 03:22 PM
I don't think Ike Taylor sucks, but he's also far from good. I'm not simply juding him on the last game either...I've never been a huge Ike fan. I don't particularly care for statistics, as they often don't tell the whole story, but these numbers are interesting:

Passes defended:
Revis - 22
Sharper -21
Taylor - 11
Polamalu - 10 (that's in just 3 games)

Taylor is among the bottom of team's starting CB's in passes defended, tied at #26. The argument that he has a low number of passes defended because QB's don't throw at him are false, because QB's also don't throw at Revis, Sharper, Samuel, Polamalu, etc - yet they all maintain much higher passes defended both in number and in percentage.

Ike posseses great coverage abilities - good speed, good cutting, and decent height. However, even when he's in great position, he very rarely makes a play on the ball. Good DB's make plays before the ball arrives, not after. I'm not talking about his interceptions either..while it's obvious that his abilities there are awful, I can lived with dropped picks as long as he breaks up passes. I have seen so many passes sail right above his head with him facing the other way, it's ridiculous. It seems that every time a ball is thrown his way, he's caught staring the receiver down rather than looking for the ball.

He's not horrible, but he's nothing more than an average corner in a good defensive scheme. Right now, he's certainly not a weak spot on the defensive...not with how Gay has been performing.

Spidey
12-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Ike is a very good corner, infuriating though, he just isn't quite great and never will be.

He just lacks the predatory skills and soft hands of a great one.

Psyychoward86
12-03-2009, 04:19 PM
hahaha.

i gotta laugh at some of these responses: "Good 98% of the time" "Just had a bad game" "Solid corner"

Those are just safe answers. I'm not sure everyone's been truly, TRULY been keeping an eye on Ike. Fact is, he's been inconsistent throughout the year. I keep hearing all of these analysts rave everytime he makes a play that he's having a pro-bowl season, but that, he definitely isnt having. I dont think we can deny it, last year's pass rush masked some of our 2ndary deficiencies (not that our 2ndary is bad, far from it)

I'll say we can agree that Ike has been inconsistent this year. We've seen flashes of the Ike Taylor of '08, and something completely different at times.

Gay on the other hand, I had high hopes after seeing what he could do last year :shake01:. I can't help but call him out. William Gay: You are better than this. Step it up and redeem yourself.

mesaSteeler
12-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Illegal contact and pass interference on the same play?
Steelers Q&A with Ed Bouchette
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09335/1017587-367.stm

Q: How can illegal contact and pass interference which was accepted by the Ravens both be called on Ike Taylor on the same play when clearly the ball was out of bounds and uncatchable?

Darryl Preble, Binghamtom, N.Y.

BOUCHETTE: It's a rarity indeed what Ike Taylor did. He could have gone for the triple play in penalties by holding him as well. The illegal contact occurred when Taylor held up the receiver -- or tried to -- beyond the line of scrimmage. The pass interference then occurred when Taylor whacked him with the ball in the air. I do not remember that pass as being uncatchable.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09335/1017587-367.stm#ixzz0YgchNNLg

eafratitpm3
12-03-2009, 11:29 PM
:thumbsup::applaudit:

That's about it in a nutshell. Ike is one of the most consistent players on our D and though he has mortar hands, he does what he is paid to do the majority of the time and does it well.

I agree he is very consistent, he can't catch and never gets his head around when covering a receiver downfield, lol.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Hilarious.

First off, passes defended is an empty stat WITHOUT the accompanying "times thrown at" stat. If you're only thrown AT as a CB 20 times, you can't have 40 PD's.

Anybody Ike haters care to look up how many times he's been thrown at? I'm especially interested in that number in relation to all the other CB's in the NFL who are OH so much greater than Ike.

Bottom line remains that without the gaudy Madden/Fantasy/flash INT stat, Ike will continue to be underrated...

Angus Burgher
12-04-2009, 04:33 PM
I hate to say it, but I don't think either of our corners are very good. Without Troy on the field, they've been exposed for the average talents that they are. I hope that changes soon, though. Otherwise, Ben and the offense are going to have to start scoring 45 points in every game just to keep up.

Of course, I wish the offense would do that anyway, just in case.

.24lockdown
12-04-2009, 07:01 PM
Oh please all you calling Ike an ALL-PRO, sidney rice the #3 reciever on the depth chart burned his ass and he couldnt even stop kenny britt.

oh you mean the sh*tty Sidney Rice who only has 964 yards this season(3rd in entire NFL)....yeah Ike's horrible

BTW, why are you judging Ike on receiver stats? He's not playing 1 on 1 every play. Show me the stats of Ike's numbers under each circumstance: down & distance, zone or man, safety help, etc

supa_fly_steeler
12-04-2009, 07:31 PM
i dont need to show the stats, he overated. without polamalu he does not function well.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 08:06 PM
i dont need to show the stats, he overated. without polamalu he does not function well.

Yup.

"Water ain't wet, because I say so. You want facts and figures? Nope. I say so and THAT is good enough. I don't like THIS guy, and SOMEBODY must pay".

Nonsense. I asked and am waiting for the REAL evidence that proves Ike sucks. There are people here who hate me enough (based on me making them looking foolish) who will dig for HOURS to find the stats that make Ike look bad....

Have at it...

SteelerEmpire
12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
RARELY do you hear about Taylor getting burned as a CB... I' ve seen EVERY player in the Steeler secondary get their share of failed coverage's on more than one occasion. Ike has done "his part " over the last few years in helping make the Steeler defense what it has been.... dominant.... Remember, Taylor was one of only 4 members of a secondary that was #1 last year....

Psyychoward86
12-04-2009, 08:24 PM
RARELY do you hear about Taylor getting burned as a CB... I' ve seen EVERY player in the Steeler secondary get their share of failed coverage's on more than one occasion. Ike has done "his part " over the last few years in helping make the Steeler defense what it has been.... dominant.... Remember, Taylor was one of only 4 members of a secondary that was #1 last year....

too much credit. it's obvious that our pass rush masked some of our 2ndary's deficiencies

supa_fly_steeler
12-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Yup.

"Water ain't wet, because I say so. You want facts and figures? Nope. I say so and THAT is good enough. I don't like THIS guy, and SOMEBODY must pay".

Nonsense. I asked and am waiting for the REAL evidence that proves Ike sucks. There are people here who hate me enough (based on me making them looking foolish) who will dig for HOURS to find the stats that make Ike look bad....

Have at it...

I never said he sucked, he just insn't in the same category as Revis and Bailey as people say, he would be in the category below.

And why would i hate you for disagreeing? everyone is entitled to their opinion, i'm not part of a nazi organisation.

Super Fan
12-04-2009, 08:44 PM
I have been saying for years that Taylor is he most over rated DB in the NFL..He has hands of stone and plays back 10 yards over everyone he covers........The guy is a bum.........

xvdougl
12-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Here's my 2 cents. Thanks to technology (tivo & Directv) a poor Steelers fan in SC is able to see every Steelers game for several seasons in a row now. However, even though there has been a slight improvement with the new HD cameras to see a little more of the playing field it is next to impossible to make a fair judgement of the secondary play!!

If you have season tickets you get to see 8 of 16 regular season games and maybe a few more. We all know where the camera is pointing when the ball is snaped! You see about .5 - 1 seconds of the secondary at best. Then if and when the QB for example holds the ball 6 seconds we get to hear some talking head say "that was a coverage sack". If were lucky we're actually shown a replay that seems to show that it was indeed the case.

Ike seems like a pretty good DB to me but I don't have the following.

1 An Ike cam
2 The coaches tapes to review after the game.
3 Any kind of idea how the mad genius that is Dick LeBeau's D works! I mean how do you know who has exactly what responsibility. (for all I know Casey Hampton may be to blame)

steel9guy
12-05-2009, 12:25 AM
Ike Taylor is a beast. This reminds me of when fans wanted byron to play for Big Ben. I guess if you have a bad game in the NFL youre going to get fired. Ike Taylor and William Gay are going to be great next year. Everyone has a bad game and year sometimes but look at Ike last year.

markymarc
12-05-2009, 11:29 AM
I would take Ike Taylor over the majority of starting CBs in the NFL. Even the great ones have a bad game. Ike just wasn't swagging on Monday night.

Lord of Lombardi
12-05-2009, 11:40 AM
If Ike could catch, fans would view his performance much differently. He's a solid corner.

On the other hand, William Gay.......hopefully, will return to nickel back next season.

If Ike could catch? should read "if Ike could defend" The play on Mason in the end zone where he totally mistimed his jump and never even looked back to see the ball and miss yet anothe interception, is the same play that Ike is known for several times over. He has become a joke or a corner with the game on the line. He is an average overall package and should just resort to knocking the ball down so this Nation knows him for what he is.... A clubbed handed CB that is known more for not making the big play when we need him to step up. Too often we say "had Ike only made that Pick" it would have cemented the game. I'm done with him being anything other than a Dewayne Washington for our team.

Steelersfan4life
12-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Ike Taylor IMO at least, is a great corner. yes he had an absolutely TERRIBLE game against the ravens. But our defense constantly puts him on an island and for the most part he does a good job.

Our defense as a whole would look a lot better if players would start wrapping up and making tackles

BuckeyeSteel
12-05-2009, 01:52 PM

I'm sure Ike lines up where ever he wants to. I mean he's not told by his coach where to line up.

MasterOfPuppets
12-05-2009, 03:38 PM
I'm sure Ike lines up where ever he wants to. I mean he's not told by his coach where to line up.
no doubt. this just shows how ignorant some people actually are to the game. if you want to complain about the cushion the corners give, then direct it at lebeau not the corners.

Riddle_Of_Steel
12-05-2009, 03:40 PM
Ike Taylor! Overated, Inconsistent or Underperforming?

None of the above. It burns my eyes to read some of the stupid threads that spawn on Steeler message boards after losing a couple games....

Ike is a SHUT-DOWN CORNER, he just never gets that credit because he has stone paddles for hands.... He routinely gets the duty of covering the other team's #1 WR, and usually holds them to under 100 yards and less than 5 catches.

He had a bad game this last Sunday, and the message board sports experts want his head on a lance....I am glad Tomlin and Colbert are in charge of personnel decisions and not someof y'all. Maybe we should bench Big Ben too and bring back Byron Leftoversandwich? Sigh....

*slaps forehead*

Psyychoward86
12-05-2009, 03:43 PM
bad game? What is this bull i keep hearing about him having "a" bad game. He's been inconsistent all season, i dont know what you guys are talking about. But still, it's Gay we should be worried about the most, not Ike

supa_fly_steeler
12-05-2009, 04:18 PM
We don't need to be worried about Gay, he is suppose to get better, he's at the youth of his career, on the other hand we always have this crap from Ike not getting interceptions... how can u have the #1 corner "shutdown clearly not this season" not get a pick, it's rather embarrasing.

whos's calling for Ike Taylor to be benched, why don't you read your clearly the idiot, he's clearly overated CLEARLY, he will never be in woodsons league, it's ignorance when Taylor calls himself Face Me Ike, i'm sure half te leagues recievers and heyward bay will enjoy this weekends matchup unless Taylor gets himself to his 08 form.

.24lockdown
12-05-2009, 09:48 PM
We don't need to be worried about Gay, he is suppose to get better, he's at the youth of his career

You could say the same about Sweed....yet look how everyone feels about him... :doh:.

Steel_12
12-05-2009, 11:46 PM
bad game? What is this bull i keep hearing about him having "a" bad game. He's been inconsistent all season, i dont know what you guys are talking about. But still, it's Gay we should be worried about the most, not Ike

Exactly...Gay has been even more inconsistent.

devilsdancefloor
12-06-2009, 12:16 AM
Ike takes on the Number 1 reciever of every team we play.i agree he has to be related to dwight stone, but c'mon he plays very well week in and week out. everyone on the defense could use a kick in the hiney this season at one point in any game we have played. to say it is gay it is ike it is whoever on defense is nuts they ALL need to play better. our secondary would be playing alot better if the front 7 where getting to the QB.

Steeldude
12-06-2009, 06:31 AM
Exactly...Gay has been even more inconsistent.

Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh Steelers: Quarterbacks have gone after the seventh-year corner a 90 times this season, more than any other defender in the NFL. Taylor has allowed a league-high 54 catches (60 percent) for 679 yards and two touchdowns. He's broken-up 11 attempts.

the second worst CB in the NFL in that regard is none other than mcfadden.

Drizztbob
12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Ike Taylor has been personally responsible for blowing the last two games and probably three, on poor coverage in the endzone against the Ravens and Oakland and pass interference calls that brought Oakland to the one yard line to set up the score at the end of the game. He is a horrible corner, and game after game, I see him get schooled worse than anyone on the field.

Any idiot announcer who exclaims Ike Taylor is having a pro bowl kind of year needs to remove their head from anus. The announcers against the Raiders couldn't stop mentioning his name...and how bad he looked.

He needs to go the way of Limas Sweed...out of of Pittsburgh.

Drizztbob
12-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Looks like we aren't the only ones thinking Taylor is playing under his ability...to say it nicely:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09342/1019170-66.stm

FacemeIke
12-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Ike can't carry the whole secondary and has looked bad at times due to blown assignments and poor help from his teammates in the secondary. Football is a team sport and he needs help in the secondary. He takes the #1 receiver week in and week out and has been doing that for 4 years now, and does it better then most CBs in the league could. No one complained about him last year. I see a lot of ignorance and short memories running through this thread.

supa_fly_steeler
12-08-2009, 10:11 AM
ike played good football last year of course and the year before, he's been very inconsistent though.

Drizztbob
12-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Ike can't carry the whole secondary and has looked bad at times due to blown assignments and poor help from his teammates in the secondary. Football is a team sport and he needs help in the secondary. He takes the #1 receiver week in and week out and has been doing that for 4 years now, and does it better then most CBs in the league could. No one complained about him last year. I see a lot of ignorance and short memories running through this thread.

It's great that he played well last year, but playing well last year doesn't win games THIS year. Football is a performance based sport with a short memory. What have you done for me lately sums it up nicely. It's harsh but true. Ike has been awful this year and needs to get some splinters in his ass to remind him that he has no tenure on a team when you get beat up by no-names in Oakland and a wide-out who didn't even want to play this year.

SteelMember
12-08-2009, 10:31 AM
ike played good football last year of course and the year before, he's been very inconsistent though.

Ike, one on one on the outside is HIS responsibility alone. He shows he can play most times, then you get something like the 2 foul play, or a jump ball.

Yes. Inconsistent.

The long TD, when Ike was chasing across the deep middle... not all on him.

When there are 2 guys named "safety" lined up 5 yards off the ball, and both eyeing the backfield... There's a problem. He should have help there.

Drizztbob
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
He also apparently needs help on learning how to tackle. If I ever "pushed" a player out of bounds at the 5 yard line to save a touchdown rather than hammering him into the sidelines when I played, my coach would have hammered MY ass into the bench.

markymarc
12-08-2009, 08:03 PM
While I still believe Ike is a very good CB and I have defended him all season. Considering the past 4 weeks though, Ike is definitely struggling big time right now. He needs to get back to swagging and playing at a high level every single week!

public - enemy
12-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I have been saying for years that Taylor is he most over rated DB in the NFL..He has hands of stone and plays back 10 yards over everyone he covers........The guy is a bum.........

Come on steelers fans. I'm not an Ike Taylor fan, but that's the concept of the 3-4 defense. play 10 yrds of the ball so you don't g beat deep. What Ike is doing is by design.

TheWarDen86
12-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I think Ike Taylor is overrated in that he is inconsistent. If he perceives a challenge, he'll respond (although sometimes with a P.I. call or two). But I also think he plays down to an opponent.

Gay...I hope is only problem is that he just isn't ready yet.

jjpro11
12-10-2009, 12:38 AM
the whole team is playing like a shell of what it was last season. here's some stats.. last year we gave up a league's best 2 passing plays of 40+ yards. this year 7. last year we gave up a league's best by 10 plays, 23 pass plays of 20+ yards. this year 33.
going back to 2007, 32 plays of 20+ yards, 4 of 40+ yards.

QB's have an 84 passer rating against us this year. last year it was 63.4.

the only thing that seems to be consistent is the run defense.. and while it could be argued that it is more so because teams are choosing to pass more than run, we are second in the league in YPC at 3.6. so it gets the job done when called upon.

Jaquila
12-10-2009, 05:00 AM
okay Ike has had a bad season, he is still a good CB and the best we have IMO, with that said, it be nice with just ONE CB who can actually catch the damn ball=)

Ike Taylor overrated? NO. Underperforming? YES

KeiselPower99
12-10-2009, 08:37 AM
Anyone remember how Ike played during the 06 season? Cowher benched him for the last few games of the season because he was inconsistent. Amazing how history repeats itself

The_WARDen
12-10-2009, 08:54 AM
Come on steelers fans. I'm not an Ike Taylor fan, but that's the concept of the 3-4 defense. play 10 yrds of the ball so you don't g beat deep. What Ike is doing is by design.

shhhh...logic isn't allowed here.

markymarc
12-10-2009, 12:36 PM

The problem is though both Ike and Gay are getting beat deep this year.

supa_fly_steeler
12-10-2009, 12:41 PM
hopefully it will be fixed and the corners can have good playoff time.

pepsyman1
12-10-2009, 01:23 PM

It isn't necessary for them to play THAT far off the wide receiver to play the 3-4....although that keeps the receiver from getting passed them on a deep balls, the moment the receiver makes a cut, Ike has no chance of making a play other than a tackle from that far away. Green Bay was a perfect example on Monday against the Ravens....The Packers play a 3-4 (Former Steelers D.C. Dom Capers installed) and their secondary plays much tighter than ours does. They play a cushion, but much smaller than the one Ike and Gay are playing. They were all over the Ravens receivers on Monday.

A 6 or 7 yard cushion at the line is one thing....the 10 and sometimes 12!!! yard cushion I see us give is frustrating to watch.