PDA

View Full Version : Cowher for Hall of Fame!

sportsguy025
01-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Why can't the Superbowl be this week? Can't wait, can't wait. Anyway, here's ain interesting story on comcast about Cowher and if he needs a SB for the HOF. I liked ti to I thought I'd shar it.

http://www.comcast.net/sports/vito/index.jsp?articleId=1

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2006, 11:32 AM
If John Madden gets into the HOF allegedly based solely on his coaching accomplishments (which I do not believe will be the case - it is impossible to separate Madden the coach from Madden the broadcaster & video game title) then Cowher should get in if he wins in Detroit.

While we all know Cowher's problems in the AFC Championship games, Madden was the losing coach in the AFC Championship in: 1969 (Chiefs); 1970 (Colts); 1973 (Dolphins); 1974 (Steelers); 1975 (Steelers); and 1977 (Broncos). Madden won it all once - (1976 - Vikings).

That having been said, I question if a Hall of Fame, as opposed to a Hall of Very Good, should admit coaches who made the playoffs regularly but did not win at least 2 Super Bowls. If you admit Madden (and Cowher if he wins only 1 title), then you arguably should admit such coaches as **** Vermeil; Mike Holmgren; Jimmy Johnson; Mike Shanahan and even Tom Flores. I prefer coaches in the Hall to be the true greats of their eras (Halas, Brown, Lombardi, Noll, Landry, Shula & Walsh)(with Belichek to be admitted in the future). By those standards it is not a slam dunk to admit Parcells, who certainly has not had lights out success since leaving the Giants (1 Super Bowl appearance since the 1990 season and messing up his team by trolling for the Jets job during Super Bowl week that time).

So, my take is that winning it all this time gets Cowher closer but certainly does not close the deal.

sportsguy025
01-26-2006, 12:04 PM
You are right about the Hall of the Very Good. Because without Super Bowls you are talking about adding coaches like Marv Levy and then that opens a whole new can of worms. For players too.

augustashark
01-26-2006, 01:44 PM
You are right about the Hall of the Very Good. Because without Super Bowls you are talking about adding coaches like Marv Levy and then that opens a whole new can of worms. For players too.

Levy is in already!

ZornToLargent
01-26-2006, 02:43 PM
I tell you what...I think both Super Bowl coaches this year are definetly Hall Of Fame couches.

lotas
01-26-2006, 02:50 PM
I tell you what...I think both Super Bowl coaches this year are definetly Hall Of Fame couches.
I agree with that. Hopefully we see both teams getting some more rings in the future, I think the coaches deserve them and can win them.

ZornToLargent
01-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Levy is in already!
Marv Levy is one smart mofo....he picked Seattle to win the SB!!! :cool:

Atlanta Dan
01-26-2006, 03:23 PM
Marv Levy is one smart mofo....he picked Seattle to win the SB!!! :cool:

Who did Levy pick the 4 times the Bills went? :)

augustashark
01-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Who did Levy pick the 4 times the Bills went? :)

Seahawks!:sofunny:

Suitanim
01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
Cowher needs one SB win and he's a first ballot unanimous selection.

clevestinks
01-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Is that Couch potatoes? LOL

I think Holmgren is already in. Cowher is teetering in! I `m pulling for him!