PDA

View Full Version : Raiders vs. Steelers, what was once a great rivalry…

RaiderInNY
12-02-2009, 02:12 PM
Link to a piece I wrote today, depicting the consistency of the Steelers, their front-office etc., and the varying differences in Oakland:
http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/2396.html

Gnutella
12-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Al Davis is the alpha and omega of Oakland's problems. Sure, he was one of the best owners in the league from the 1960's through the 1980's, but he's gradually been losing his grip since about 1990, and these days he's just as big a liability to the team as he was an asset during the glory years. Unfortunately, the Raiders won't accomplish much until Al Davis either dies, sells the team, or relinquishes a lot of control.

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 02:29 PM
If there is one team's fan base in the NFL I can truly say I pity, it's Oakland's.

The TRULY amazing thing is that they are less than 8 years removed from ALMOST winning a Super Bowl!

Indo
12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Good piece, Raider
It's good to see that there are "enemy" fans who acknowledge that what exists in the Steelers organization is rare and contributes to the success of the franchise...

I have to agree with the above posts as well...
The Raiders will not return to being The Raiders that we all loved to hate until Davis "Retires"

It was a great rivalry---hope it comes back one day

BlastFurnace
12-02-2009, 02:45 PM
I remember the great teams that were assembled in Oakland in the 1970's how they could take a problem child like a Pat Toomay and make him into a quality defensive player. Then in the 1980's, they could take someone like Alzado from Cleveland and he becomes practically unstoppable in Oakland. The drafting of Bo Jackson, who IMO, is one of the best RB's I have ever seen.

It's too bad that Al Davis has completely lost his touch. It's like the franchise is completely in a standstill until the guy is no longer in leadership.

saveus1011
12-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Good article. Raiders/Steelers is a rivalry that has become about respect, and no longer hatred.

Angus Burgher
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
I guess I'd have more sympathy for Oakland if Madden & Co. hadn't been so blatantly disrespectful to the Steelers in the 70's. Particularly since Pittsburgh, overall, was CLEARLY the superior team in that decade.

Some of those jerks still go on about how the Immaculate Reception shouldn't have counted, blah, blah, blah. It did count because it WAS a catch. You lost. It's been almost 40 years. Get the hell over it.

HometownGal
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Link to a piece I wrote today, depicting the consistency of the Steelers, their front-office etc., and the varying differences in Oakland:
http://www.sbreport.net/raider_news/008/2396.html

What a great piece of writing! :drink:

I really miss the Steelers/Raiders intense rivalry in the 70's. Those were slugfests and bloodbaths and that is putting it mildly. I always looked forward to those games with great anticipation knowing that I was going to see one helluva football game every time. :thumbsup:

I also loved watching Pig Man pacing the sidelines like a rabid wild boar. :chuckle:

Hey - whatever happened to The Snake? I despised him but respected his talent and what he brought to the Raiders O.

SteelCityMom
12-02-2009, 03:48 PM
That was a great read, thank you. I unfortunately wasn't born until '80 and don't remember watching football until I was about 8 or 9, so I missed a lot of the best parts of the rivalry. My Dad and brothers did a pretty good job of filling me in though. I've always enjoyed the history of both clubs though. Thought this video was pretty cool as well.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aT6he8ISpc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3aT6he8ISpc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

revefsreleets
12-02-2009, 04:04 PM
I totally respect any NEW Raiders fan...they will have suffered and bled with their team through the down years, and it will make them better fans for it when they start winning again (i.e. when Crazy ole Al kick the bucket)....

In fact, that goes for any fan who WAS a Raiders fan and stuck with their team through this. Adversity builds character, and those fans will have a TON of character after this chapter in the Raiders book is finally closed!

O Sensei
12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
Stabler is alive and thriving as the anti christ...

No really, has there been a more resourceful qb in the face of absolute calamity than the snake? Even todays juggernauts don't pull the feats of larceny cool kenny used to pull in the heyday with peculiar regularity, one of a kind.

I do find it humerous how much madden hates the steelers and as someone mentioned still to this day feels the IR hit the ground at franco's toes. Tales tell he watched that film for three days straight waiting for evidence to his beliefs, took a day off to rub his head and then went back to the tape for another 2.

The Raiders back then were like a carny sideshow...they still have the sights and sounds but clearly not the success.