PDA

View Full Version : If Big Ben retired tomorrow........

UltimateBengal
12-03-2009, 03:01 PM
Which other NFL QB do you think would best fit your team and what you do? Of course, I'm a Bengals fan, but I do have respect for what the Steelers have accomplished, and in my opinion, Phillip Rivers would be the perfect QB for you guys! He's tough, gritty, and fiery! Of course, I would never want to see that happen cause it would be bad for us!!! Ok, those are just my opinions, what are yours???

Steel-Bryan
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Id say Aaron Rodgers, hes a pretty good QB.

UltimateBengal
12-03-2009, 03:19 PM

I really didn't think about Rodgers, but if he were with you guys, having a running game behind him, he'd be pretty damn good!

SteelCityMom
12-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Brady Quinn of course! :chuckle:

No, honestly, Rodgers would fit in very well I think.

I also think maybe Henne would be able to fit in the system here too. He's a big guy, and put him on a capable offense and I think he could do real well. Plus he's already #7!

UltimateBengal
12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Brady Quinn of course! :chuckle:

No, honestly, Rodgers would fit in very well I think.

I also think maybe Henne would be able to fit in the system here too. He's a big guy, and put him on a capable offense and I think he could do real well. Plus he's already #7!

When I saw Brady Quinn, I spit my coffee all over my computer!! Thanks SCMom, now I have to do something resembling work on my day off!!:banging:LOL

MaidenIndiana
12-03-2009, 03:29 PM
What about Dixon? He already knows the system, and I for one thought he played pretty well the other night considering he was pretty much thrown into the fire

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Brett Favre. :couch:

In all seriousness, Aaron Rodgers would definitely look good in the black 'n gold, as would Matt Schaub, imho.

Just say NO to Rivers. We have no room on our roster or in our lockeroom for arrogant, whiney little bitches.

scsteeler
12-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Which other NFL QB do you think would best fit your team and what you do? Of course, I'm a Bengals fan, but I do have respect for what the Steelers have accomplished, and in my opinion, Phillip Rivers would be the perfect QB for you guys! He's tough, gritty, and fiery! Of course, I would never want to see that happen cause it would be bad for us!!! Ok, those are just my opinions, what are yours???

I don't think Phillip would be the best Fit. I think the Draft would be our best bet if Ben retired.

MasterOfPuppets
12-03-2009, 03:34 PM

and rogers takes tons of sacks...perfect fit...:thumbsup:

BlastFurnace
12-03-2009, 03:39 PM
I know that no-one will like this, but my choice would be Tom Brady.

Angus Burgher
12-03-2009, 03:48 PM
This is an interesting thread. I'm honestly not sure. Whoever it is would have to be able to adapt to shaky play from the O-Line, and that would mean Rodgers would be out for me. He's been better lately but only since his O-Line has improved. Watching him in that first game against Minnesota was painful. I didn't think he'd live to see the end of it. The Steelers O-Line is better this season of course, but not so good that I'd trust the QB job to anybody who is questionable when the pocket breaks down.

Rivers, I don't think, would be a good fit either. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I just don't see that working out well.

Brees could probably be great on any team though, so I'll say him.

Indo
12-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Brees

He can move when he has to

He is deceptive in his play-action fakes

He has a cannon with a laser-site

and, without a doubt, he is a Leader

scsteeler
12-03-2009, 03:59 PM

You are right I hate it, I don't like it but on the plus side the Commissioner would put in special rules for us once we had him which would reduce our sacks by the O-Line. :rofl:

UltimateBengal
12-03-2009, 04:08 PM

Would Steeler fans ever except Tom?

RoethlisBURGHer
12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Brees

He can move when he has to

He is deceptive in his play-action fakes

He has a cannon with a laser-site

and, without a doubt, he is a Leader

I would say Brees. He's one helluva player and he wins, just like Ben.

SteelGhost
12-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Drew Brees or Matt Schaub, but I hope we'll be cheering for Ben for a long, long, long time :tt02:

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I would say Brees. He's one helluva player and he wins, just like Ben.

I love Brees but he's too "pass happy". :toofunny:

SteelGhost
12-03-2009, 04:19 PM
I love Brees but he's too "pass happy". :toofunny:

But..but... now the Steelers are pass happy too :sofunny:

supa_fly_steeler
12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Dennis Dixon or Tyrod Taylor*

*went homer

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 04:29 PM
But..but... now the Steelers are pass happy too :sofunny:

We just can't have that! Don't you know - QB's in Pittsburgh are drafted simply to hand off the ball? :shake01:

supa_fly_steeler
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Would any organisation want spygate cheaters :P

And for that i feel sorry for the Patriot fanbase

UltimateBengal
12-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Would any organisation want spygate cheaters :P

And for that i feel sorry for the Patriot fanbase

I was gonna say I'd take Belichik, but then I'd have to listen to his press conferences:yawn:

SteelC7
12-03-2009, 04:47 PM
tom brady would make our team unbeatable aaron rodgers is good, but we should all be thankful for ben, we could still have maddox...and as for u bengals fan, why r u on our forum? u should be home wishing ur team had a QB like ben

TackleMeBen
12-03-2009, 04:52 PM
tom brady would make our team unbeatable aaron rodgers is good, but we should all be thankful for ben, we could still have maddox...and as for u bengals fan, why r u on our forum? u should be home wishing ur team had a QB like ben
unfortunely their qb has beaten our qb twice this season. :wink02:

but i would take henne on this team if ben was to retire.

SteelGhost
12-03-2009, 05:01 PM
We just can't have that! Don't you know - QB's in Pittsburgh are drafted simply to hand off the ball? :shake01:

:chuckle:

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 05:04 PM
You are right I hate it, I don't like it but on the plus side the Commissioner would put in special rules for us once we had him which would reduce our sacks by the O-Line. :rofl:

And our OL would be allowed to hold with impunity.

BlastFurnace
12-03-2009, 05:10 PM

This one would. I think Brady is a great...great QB.

I don't believe that spygate made him great either.

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 05:13 PM

Knowing exactly what opposing defenses were doing didn't hurt him, either.

Dino 6 Rings
12-03-2009, 05:35 PM
If he retired now, Dixon to finish the season...then I'd want them to DRAFT A QB in the FIRST ROUND!

We've only done that twice...and its gotten us SIX Super Bowls.

Thank you very much.

BlastFurnace
12-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Knowing exactly what opposing defenses were doing didn't hurt him, either.

He still needed to execute though. I'd still take him. Not over Ben, but if Ben wasn't available, Brady would be my first choice.

BlastFurnace
12-03-2009, 05:39 PM

There is only one person who was formerly paid by the Steelers that I would never...ever want to see the Rooney's write a check to again.....that would be Tom Donahoe.

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 05:39 PM
If he retired now, Dixon to finish the season...then I'd want them to DRAFT A QB in the FIRST ROUND!

We've only done that twice...and its gotten us SIX Super Bowls.

Thank you very much.

Three times since 1970, actually (Mark Malone, 1980). One big hit (Bradshaw), one huge miss (Malone), and one big hit (Ben). If the pattern holds, the next 1st rounder we spend on a QB is going to be a dud.

Dino 6 Rings
12-03-2009, 05:48 PM
Three times since 1970, actually (Mark Malone, 1980). One big hit (Bradshaw), one huge miss (Malone), and one big hit (Ben). If the pattern holds, the next 1st rounder we spend on a QB is going to be a dud.

I don't recoginize Mark Malone as a Quarter Back. :toofunny:

Steeldude
12-03-2009, 05:58 PM
peyton manning

Dino 6 Rings
12-03-2009, 06:01 PM
peyton manning

honestly...not a bad call for 2 years or so.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-03-2009, 06:11 PM
We need somebody who can run away from pressure and take a lot of hits. So I'll go with Matt Schaub.

Gnutella
12-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Lately I've become a fan of Aaron Rodgers. He plays the game the way Ben does. He makes a lot of big plays with his arm, and he even holds onto the ball too long sometimes for old times' sake. *lol*

Christian Snyder
12-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I would choose either Aaron Rodgers or Matt Schaub.

T.Richardson
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Im gonna take a lot of heat for this but... Flacco or Palmer.

xvdougl
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM

How about I hop in my time machine and zip back to 1983 make sure we draft Dan!!! Zip back to 2009 and where the SuperBowl 43 Ring is a toe RING!!!!! and Gabe Rivera has a wonderful career playing for some NFC team.

X-Terminator
12-03-2009, 07:02 PM

Palmer...nah. Not the same QB he was before the injury. Flacco though...most definitely. That kid is going to be a stud once the Ravens finally get him some legitimate weapons. Put him on the Steelers with all of their offensive talent...wow...would be fun to see. Rodgers would be my second choice.

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 07:10 PM

When he played his first game against the Steelers last season, I stated on this very board that I was very impressed with this kid, his poise, his arm and his smarts. All he needs is a couple of viable weapons and he'll be in the Top 5 in the next few years.

LVSteelersfan
12-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Since this is such a hypothetical thing, I say we bring Dan Marino out of retirement. He is after all losing lots of weight on that diet plan. He never seemed to get sacked even with heavy pressure. Sigh. I miss watching him play even though he wasn't a Steeler. I still consider him the best ever DESPITE the fact he didn't have a team around him that was good enough to win a Super Bowl.

I think Brees is a good in season QB, but always flakes out in the playoffs. Rivers, no way. Possibly Matt Ryan since I don't want to repeat Aaron Rodgers or Schaub. Brady I hate with a passion so NO. Peyton Manning on the other hand is not such a bad idea. He is at least palatable. I say we just go with the Dixon experiment and see if he is a better passer and defense reader than the Kordell experiment. If not, draft someone new.

iloveben7
12-03-2009, 07:41 PM
no one, but if I had to choose I'd pick Dennis Dixon

UltimateBengal
12-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Since this is such a hypothetical thing, I say we bring Dan Marino out of retirement. He is after all losing lots of weight on that diet plan. He never seemed to get sacked even with heavy pressure. Sigh. I miss watching him play even though he wasn't a Steeler. I still consider him the best ever DESPITE the fact he didn't have a team around him that was good enough to win a Super Bowl.

I think Brees is a good in season QB, but always flakes out in the playoffs. Rivers, no way. Possibly Matt Ryan since I don't want to repeat Aaron Rodgers or Schaub. Brady I hate with a passion so NO. Peyton Manning on the other hand is not such a bad idea. He is at least palatable. I say we just go with the Dixon experiment and see if he is a better passer and defense reader than the Kordell experiment. If not, draft someone new.

Just curious, I've seen a few people say now way to Rivers. Why is that? I thought his makeup as a fiery competitor and his never give up style of play would fit good in Pitt! But, I'm not a Steeler fan, just wondering why he gets no love?

43Hitman
12-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I don't know, if I had to choose a young guy to take the reins for the next 10 years or so. I think maybe Stafford would be who I'd pick, he is tough as nails and is a leader. If I could only have the guy for like 5 more years, it would be Brees then Manning(the Peyton version).

43Hitman
12-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Just curious, I've seen a few people say now way to Rivers. Why is that? I thought his makeup as a fiery competitor and his never give up style of play would fit good in Pitt! But, I'm not a Steeler fan, just wondering why he gets no love?

He is too arrogant for the fans. We don't care for asshats.

Christian Snyder
They think he's a whiny QB, like the amazing Man/Woman Tom Baby... I don't really think he's THAT whiny. JMO, though.

Steel-Bryan
I think rodgers cus hes blue collar, can run, make people miss, and has a CANNON :bunnydance:

Nadroj 20
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
I cant think about not having ben lol that would be tough but if he did retire and i had to pick any other QB in the league right now i would pick Aaron Rodgers, ive always liked his play and think he would be a good fit.

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 08:09 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_E76qxdTmheI/SWqf8XRfaOI/AAAAAAAABic/HeKBlDl-2TM/s400/philip_rivers_crying.jpg

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-03-2009, 08:14 PM
How about I hop in my time machine and zip back to 1983 make sure we draft Dan!!! Zip back to 2009 and where the SuperBowl 43 Ring is a toe RING!!!!! and Gabe Rivera has a wonderful career playing for some NFC team.

You have to worry about the butterfly effect though. Maybe the Steelers then wouldn't have been bad enough in 2003 to get the eleventh pick. That's why I try not to wonder "What if?"

Vincent
12-03-2009, 08:38 PM

And if I was at LT, I'd end his career myself. :chuckle: marsha ain't no Steeler.

Rodgers would be my choice. Brees a close second, and only because he's a bit short to be first. But he's a helluva QB.

Christian Snyder
12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
You'd chose the amazing Man/Woman Tom Baby?

BlastFurnace
12-03-2009, 09:18 PM
You'd chose the amazing Man/Woman Tom Baby?

Yes. I'd choose him because he has the most Super Bowl wins in the past decade and the QB that, other than the 2004 game, has torched our defense every single time he has played us.

LIke I said, Ben is always my first choice, but Brady would be my second.

Nadroj 20
12-03-2009, 09:21 PM
I hate brady but do have to give him credit for being a good QB...still dont have to like him though lol

smokin3000gt
12-03-2009, 09:25 PM
What about Dixon? He already knows the system, and I for one thought he played pretty well the other night considering he was pretty much thrown into the fire

I thought he played well too but too soon to consider him a starter.

Shea
12-03-2009, 11:00 PM

This made me wince.

This made me scream.

BlastFurnace
12-03-2009, 11:21 PM
This made me wince.

This made me scream.

I knew it wouldn't be popular, but although I despise him as a player, I really respect him as a great QB.

Shea
12-03-2009, 11:43 PM
I not only despise him but I can't respect him as a quarterback either. He annoys the crap out of me.

But I respect your opinion, and wasn't taking a shot at you. Hope you didn't take it that way.

devilsdancefloor
12-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Drew brees (its the boilermaker in me:tt04::tt04:)

xvdougl
12-04-2009, 12:03 AM
You have to worry about the butterfly effect though. Maybe the Steelers then wouldn't have been bad enough in 2003 to get the eleventh pick. That's why I try not to wonder "What if?"

Point Well taken my friend, Maybe I'll clone Marino so we'll have him ready for Big Ben's retirement!

Nighthawk
12-04-2009, 12:13 AM
Henne, Rodgers, Schaub, Palmer, Brees, Brady

I don't want: Either Manning or Rivers... They're good QB's, but I hate whiners. They have all had their whinny moments (some more than others).

OneForTheToe
12-04-2009, 12:55 AM

Sonny Jurgensen:noidea:

Seriously, Flaco would be my choice as well.. If he had weapons I think he would be a real force.

solardave
12-04-2009, 04:03 AM
and rogers takes tons of sacks...perfect fit...:thumbsup:

We need a QB who would take more sacks then Ben!!!

T.Richardson
12-04-2009, 06:36 AM
I knew it wouldn't be popular, but although I despise him as a player, I really respect him as a great QB.

I have to agree. Every time the Steelers face the Patriots, Brady murders the defense. The '07 game between the Steelers and Patriots was a bad day...

Brady is a great QB, especially when he came out of nowhere in the playoffs in '01

BlastFurnace
12-04-2009, 07:35 AM
I not only despise him but I can't respect him as a quarterback either. He annoys the crap out of me.

But I respect your opinion, and wasn't taking a shot at you. Hope you didn't take it that way.

No. I didn't at all. I too...I was wincing and screaming as I wrote Brady's name down....lol

:drink:

BleedBlacknGold0
12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Kent Graham....if he's not available I'd take a flier on Ryan Leaf or Tim Couch, low risk, high reward!

mulldog24
12-04-2009, 10:06 AM

Aaron Rogers would be my #1 choice he is a tough guy and I think he would fit in very well in our system.:tt03:

StainlessStill
12-04-2009, 10:18 AM
Phillip Rivers or Aaron Rodgers would be a perfect fit to run our offense and both are tough enough to take the beating. Rodgers is a TAD bit more qualified with taking hits and what he's going through in Green Bay now is something that Ben has went through so he's tough in every aspect when it comes to taking hits. Rodgers is also good out of the pocket and can move well. Matt Shaub would be an addition as well.

Although, there is NOONE better at eluding the rush than Ben Roethlisberger and we would miss Ben immensely in every category. That said, watching this man play for 5 years, there is NOBODY I would want leading my team as quarterback at this point, NOONE.

Indo
12-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Since we're jumping in Time Machines and Pulling Marino out, I'll take Elway...

It's a shame Danny boy was a fan of the white candy...he wanted to stay in The Burgh and we could've REALLY used him in those Dark Years...

Christian Snyder
12-04-2009, 10:27 AM
I'll take Norm Van Brocklin then!:tt04::chuckle:

Steelboy84
12-04-2009, 10:34 AM
I'd never want Tom Brady. Never ever ever.

But we would need someone who could at least move in the pocket, not a sitting duck.

iloveben7
12-04-2009, 12:14 PM
I'd never want Tom Brady. Never ever ever.

But we would need someone who could at least move in the pocket, not a sitting duck.

me neither

OneForTheToe
12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Since we're jumping in Time Machines and Pulling Marino out, I'll take Elway...

It's a shame Danny boy was a fan of the white candy...he wanted to stay in The Burgh and we could've REALLY used him in those Dark Years...

That is the funny thing about what ifs ... maybe if Danny boy stays in da burgh, with his buds, he never gets over his love of nose candy? Maybe he washes out? Maybe he had to go to Miami to get away from drugs? .:noidea:

Wait a minute .... :scratchchin::huh:

GoSlash27
12-04-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd go with Matt Stafford. Tough little bugger.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 03:13 PM
QB's playing now?
There's only one choice: Drew Brees.

Manning and Brady would be KILLED on this team. Under pressure, both guys numbers fall apart. They have no mobility at all, and the Steelers, as they currently are, require a QB with mobility.

QB's all-time?
Agree with Indo, and go with Elway. Guy could move around in the pocket and run when need be. He'd be a great fit.

Indo
12-04-2009, 03:19 PM
That is the funny thing about what ifs ... maybe if Danny boy stays in da burgh, with his buds, he never gets over his love of nose candy? Maybe he washes out? Maybe he had to go to Miami to get away from drugs? .:noidea:

Wait a minute .... :scratchchin::huh:

Go to Miami to GET AWAY from drugs....?
That's why Don Johnson was all "Miami Vice"!

But I agree about the What ifs----
Maybe staying in Pgh and having Mr. Rooney chat with him straightens him out and we have 1 or 2 more rings! It coulda happened...

DoubleYoi
12-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Bring Bubby out of retirement and let him mop up. The wind coming in of the lakes shouldn't be much of a problem anymore since Three Rivers Stadium is no more.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Go to Miami to GET AWAY from drugs....?
That's why Don Johnson was all "Miami Vice"!

But I agree about the What ifs----
Maybe staying in Pgh and having Mr. Rooney chat with him straightens him out and we have 1 or 2 more rings! It coulda happened...

Yeah, triple LOL...Marino dropped into Miami, which was the cocaine gateway capitol of the UNIVERSE circa 1983. I can't imagine a worse-case scenario....

markymarc
12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I would take Drew Brees, but I would have no problem letting Dennis Dixon lead this team.

UltimateBengal
12-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Bring Bubby out of retirement and let him mop up. The wind coming in of the lakes shouldn't be much of a problem anymore since Three Rivers Stadium is no more.

Might not be a bad idea right now!:noidea:Save Ben from taking a beating for the next 3 weeks.

Preacher
12-11-2009, 10:48 PM

Nope...

Mainly because Brady is a great pocket passer, but I don't think he can deal with the pressure that Ben has to deal with, neither could Manning.

We would need someone that is more like Ben... tall, strong, but stays behind the LOS and extends the play.