PDA

View Full Version : American OUTRAGE! ...another one.

NJarhead
12-03-2009, 06:36 PM
:banging:

I'm almost to the point were people need to start waking up with their throats cut. Sick of hearing shit like this!

ICHMOND, VA. One of the nation's oldest Medal of Honor winners was back in the fight Thursday, this time against a neighborhood association that wants him to take down a front-yard flagpole.

Supporters, including a U.S. senator, have been falling in behind 90-year-old retired Army Col. Van T. Barfoot, a World War II veteran awarded the lofty Congressional honor for actions including standing up to three German tanks with a bazooka and stopping their advance.

Barfoot put up the 21-foot flagpole in September in front of his suburban Richmond home. He raises the American flag daily at sunrise and retires it at sunset.

"It's really ridiculous to want to keep the flag from being flown," he said in a telephone interview. "I've heard some terrible excuses out there."

The Sussex Square homeowners' association says the flagpole violates the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines and ordered him to remove it by 5 p.m. Friday or face a lawsuit. The group has said Barfoot can display the flag, as long as it's in a way that conforms with association rules, such as from a pole mounted on the front of the house.

"This is not about the American flag. This is about a flagpole," the association said in a statement.

Sen. Mark R. Warner, D-Va., is among those offering to help break the impasse, Warner spokesman Kevin Hall said. Warner and the war hero became acquainted at veterans' events when Warner was Virginia's governor from 2002-06. Others are backing Barfoot on the Internet, including with a Facebook page.

Barfoot won the Medal of Honor for actions while his platoon was under German assault near Carano, Italy, in May 1944. The award citation says Barfoot, then a 2nd lieutenant, crept up alone on German machine gun nests, killing and capturing enemy troops in three of them, stopped their three-tank advance and helped two seriously wounded comrades back to safety.

He also won the Purple Heart and other decorations, and served in Korea and Vietnam before retiring from the service in 1974. The Sitter & Barfoot Veterans Care Center, a state nursing home for military retirees in Richmond, bears his name.

Barfoot's daughter, Margaret Nicholls, said her father has been moved to tears by the outpouring of support, and hopes the nine-member homeowners' board will use its discretion and let him keep the pole.

"A house-mounted pole? That is not an option," Nicholls said. "The flagpole is definitely what he's fighting for."

http://www.app.com/article/20091203/NEWS06/91203094/WWII+vet+fights+homeowners+group+over+Va.+flagpole

GoSlash27
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Homeowners' associations are the devil. Just one more way to erode your rights.

43Hitman
12-03-2009, 07:15 PM
This is becoming a big deal around here. I for one am pulling for him. I have never understood why someone would want to live in a neighborhood where they can tell you what can and cannot do to the house and property that you own. I would rather live out in the country where I can do what I want on my property.

T&B fan
12-03-2009, 07:21 PM
This is becoming a big deal around here. I for one am pulling for him. I have never understood why someone would want to live in a neighborhood where they can tell you what can and cannot do to the house and property that you own. I would rather live out in the country where I can do what I want on my property.

and:banging: pay:banging: for the right to betold what you do .

HometownGal
12-03-2009, 07:52 PM
"This is not about the American flag. This is about a flagpole," the association said in a statement.

If I were this guy, I'd move my flagpole and insert it in their hineys.

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Homeowners' associations are the devil. Just one more way to erode your rights.

Yep, I specifically avoided HOAs when I bought my house. That was one of my requirements to my realtor: 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2-car garage, central A/C and NO HOA. I don't mind shoveling my own snow and doing my own yardwork and the like.

NJarhead
12-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Yep, I specifically avoided HOAs when I bought my house. That was one of my requirements to my realtor: 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2-car garage, central A/C and NO HOA. I don't mind shoveling my own snow and doing my own yardwork and the like.

Damn straight. And even if we did, that's what you pay the kid down the block $20.00 for.

beSteelmyheart
12-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Un Friggin Believeable.
When we were in the market for a house, I refused to consider any property with the HOA attached. I refuse to pay a bunch of anal idiots to tell me what I can & cannot do on property that I work to pay for. Power corrupts.

MACH1
12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Damn straight. And even if we did, that's what you pay the kid down the block $20.00 for.

Damn, where were you when I was a kid. :grin:

We avoided HOA's too. We do have covenant, all it really says is we can't have a pig farm. :sofunny:

NJarhead
12-03-2009, 08:41 PM

We avoided HOA's too. We do have covenant, all it really says is we can't have a pig farm. :sofunny:

:chuckle: That was the going rate for an acre of leaves.
It MIGHT cover a 15 ft. driveway with 1/2" of snow these days. lol

SCSTILLER
12-03-2009, 08:53 PM
keep the flagpole! Hell, if I was him I would go out there with a few 500,000 candle power floodlights and light that damned flagpole up at night also.

We have an HOA where I live and that is why I feel like I do. Don't ever try to point out discrepencies to a board members property, they will nit pick you to death like they did me.

I have a buddy who almost painted his fence pink to piss off his HOA. There were a whole list of colors you could not paint your fence, but pink wasn't on the list. In the end his manhood stopped him from doing it.

Thank You for your service Col. Barfoot, in three wars

St33lersguy
12-03-2009, 09:03 PM
since where do these anti U.S. pinheads get off having the nerve to do this b.s., if this offends them so much why don't they just move to Iran

Godfather
12-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Un Friggin Believeable.
When we were in the market for a house, I refused to consider any property with the HOA attached. I refuse to pay a bunch of anal idiots to tell me what I can & cannot do on property that I work to pay for. Power corrupts.

They're worse than politicians. Must be some kind of Napoleon complex--they make up for being insignificant by exercising whatever power they can.

smokin3000gt
12-03-2009, 09:22 PM

who the hell are they to tell you no pig farm?! REVOLT!!

pig farms forever!!

fansince'76
12-03-2009, 09:32 PM
who the hell are they to tell you no pig farm?! REVOLT!!

pig farms forever!!

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.... :chuckle:

NJarhead
12-03-2009, 09:36 PM
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.... :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Reminds of something I used to say to my ex-wife:

"I'll love you forever sometimes." :wink02:

Shoes
12-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm convinced that the life long politicians in Washington started their careers as HOA board members.

NJarhead
12-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I'm convinced that the life long politicians in Washington started their careers as HOA board members.

Gee. That makes a lot of sense actually. You may onto something.

BlastFurnace
12-03-2009, 10:22 PM
I like living in a neighborhood with an HOA. It protects my home value and guarantees against families moving in that will leave broken down cars in their driveway, Broken down Washing Machines on the side of the house, paint their house purple, and grow plants that look like they were imported from Vietnam. Unfortunately, in North Texas, if you buy in a newer neighborhood without one, the neighborhood is trashed within 5 to 10 years. I have lived with HOA's and without...and I will never buy another home without an HOA.

That being said, what they are doing to that old man is terrible.

NJarhead
12-03-2009, 10:26 PM
I like living in a neighborhood with an HOA. It protects my home value and guarantees against families moving in that will leave broken down cars in their driveway, Broken down Washing Machines on the side of the house, paint their house purple, and grow plants that look like they were imported from Vietnam. Unfortunately, in North Texas, if you buy in a newer neighborhood without one, the neighborhood is trashed within 5 to 10 years. I have lived with HOA's and without...and I will never buy another home without an HOA.

That being said, what they are doing to that old man is terrible.

Ya don't have to have an HOA to get a neighbor to keep his property squared away.

BlastFurnace
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Ya don't have to have an HOA to get a neighbor to keep his property squared away.

LOL...what's your solution then.

Believe me, there are plenty of neighborhoods in North Texas where multiple families have moved into that completely ruined the neighborhood because they didn't care to keep up their property. I don't know if there are any others on the board that live in North Texas....but believe me....it is a problem out here.

I can't force my neighbor to cut and edge his yard, fix his car without keeping it on a jack, not make his yard into an elaborate rock garden, not grow plants like he lives in Saigon. We bought our first house in a middle class neighborhood without an HOA and we saw all of that. It was so bad that we moved out within 4 years just to protect our financial investment in our house. It's been 8 years since we moved from there and that neighborhood looks terrible. The neighborhood we live in now has an HOA and it still looks like it did when we moved here.

I wish it wasn't the case, but everyone I know out here won't even touch a house not in an HOA unless it has a lot of acreage around it.

NJarhead
12-03-2009, 10:43 PM
LOL...what's your solution then.

Believe me, there are plenty of neighborhoods in North Texas where multiple families have moved into that completely ruined the neighborhood because they didn't care to keep up their property. I don't know if there are any others on the board that live in North Texas....but believe me....it is a problem out here.

I know here in NJ the neighbors can complain the town will deal with it.

And yes, there are other ways as I'm sure you were thinking initially. :chuckle:

I'm not beyond that either. I'm thinking of changing my last name to: "Sickandtired"

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 10:38 AM
World.
Gone.
Mad.

This ain't a 1982 Chevy Citation up on blocks, it's a GD flagpole...

Dino 6 Rings
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Actually if he knew there was a rule against large flag poles in the front yard and put it up anyway, then he's a fcking arsehole and needs to take down the pole and hang the flag like I do off a small pole that extends off the side of my Garage.

Home owner associations aren't all bad. There is a guy in my neighborhood trying to re-zone his property so he can put his RV in the front yard. Fck that...NO RVs in front yard. Next it'll be cars on blocks.

SO this jerkoffff needs to take down the pole and put up the flag like the rest of the people are supposed to do. And I'm not being "anti-American" I'm thinking about the rights of the OTHERS in the same neighborhood. Like they say, it isn't the flag, its the pole. Tired of people screaming righteousness while breaking the rules and wrapping themselves in the Flag. If he wants, he can petition his neighbors to CHANGE the existing rules, don't break them then biatch about getting in trouble for it.

Dino 6 Rings
12-04-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm against anyone that acts this way. Breaking the RULES that are in place for their own reasons to prove a point or try and force Social Change without doing the hard work it would require to actually get the signatures from the rest of the neighborhood to change that Rule. Which, is part of the Home Owners Association rules.

Would people be screaming about him keeping the Flag Pole if he hung a NY Giants flag from it? Or what about an Oakland Raiders Flag? Or maybe a Flag of Russia?

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 01:46 PM
The Sussex Square homeowners' association says the flagpole violates the neighborhood's aesthetic guidelines

I'd be willing to wager there is no language specifically prohibiting flagpoles.

theplatypus
12-04-2009, 04:41 PM
HOA's can be a real pain in the ass, but they're nothing compared to historic preservation societies. There's a man down here that wanted to change his front stoop and was denied by the local HPS. Keep in mind that this house was built in the 50's so there really isn't anything historic about it. He got so pissed that he had his house painted lime green with purple polka dots.

Picture of the house
http://subdivisiontrustees.blogspot.com/2008/08/man-paint-house-lime-green-with-purple.html

Dino 6 Rings
12-04-2009, 05:36 PM
gosh I knew I was feeling a little bitter and angry this morning when I was posting but man...I nearly went off the deep end with those two...

well...to each their own, hopefully the people of the neighborhood decide to get together and determine that they will allow this Flagpole to stay and get the rule changed for just this guy and no one decides "well if he can do that I want a huge satelite dish in my back yard!" so....anyway...

God Bless America....where we are free to have these debates and discussions.