PDA

View Full Version : Arians, Steelers will pass on Wildcat offense

Shoes
12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_656124.html?feed=9

Earlier this week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin left open the possibility of quarterback Dennis Dixon seeing spot duty even after Ben Roethlisberger returns to the starting lineup.

When asked about that chance Thursday, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, "Absolutely zero because he's the backup, and we only have two in there."

Arians said the Steelers don't want the fleet-footed Dixon running the ball in sub packages such as the Wildcat for the same reasons he stated during training camp: it is took risky for the 6-foot-3, 209-pounder.

"He's an extremely good talent as far as speed, and when a play breaks down and he can improvise, that's when he'll be dangerous," Arians said of Dixon. "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."

Dixon scored on a 24-yard run in his first NFL start last Sunday.

The fourth-quarter play, Arians said, was designed to be a pass to Mewelde Moore. Dixon kept the ball following a fake handoff to wide receiver Mike Wallace since he had a clear path to the end zone.

Arians said there were no designed runs for Dixon in the Ravens' game because of the risk of an injury, especially with Tyler Palko as the only healthy quarterback behind Dixon.

Arians said he did not limit Dixon much against the Ravens because of the faith he has in the second-year man.

"I felt extremely confident that we were going to win that ballgame the other night with Dennis, and we should have," Arians said.

lambertlunaticfan
12-04-2009, 04:22 AM
I hope this is true what arians said as i hate that "wildcat" scheme.It's the worse formation that has even been in the nfl.I mean why not get all the high school playbook and use them.Let's see more of that old statue of liberty play.Just all bush league play to me.I mean it's just stubid to use a trick play as your regular offense is a joke.That's the best you got is a trick play.And i have no idea how it works as it does.Let's see it's a running back and not a qb,maybe he will run,what do you know he is running.One darn team used this and now every team uses it.I am just hoping the steelers will be the one team that does not have to resort to a trick play to be thier offense.:tt:

Galax Steeler
12-04-2009, 04:42 AM
He might just be a saying that who knows you might see it just to catch the defense off guard.

wootawnee
12-04-2009, 07:06 AM
I am tired of this dude....He is a negative nancy....This quote proves it: "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."......D.D. is not any smaller than Tone............You can't be like that on the offensive side of the ball.....All the great plays of the past are like spaceships from the universe........Positive thinking........Unless you are Earl Campbell plowing people over.....But then when he got old he could't walk.....But that is another story........We need someone with a cooler head, cause this guy gets too flustered.........If he starts playing up to potential then cool......But he is getting way too flustered to coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers....He looks like a coach from Cleveland or something......

HometownGal
12-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Personally, I'm not a fan of the wildcat and I'm glad the Steelers aren't going to use it this week. We have enough talent on the O that we don't need none of that "hocus pocus". :chuckle:

Spidey
12-04-2009, 08:05 AM
Why the heck would Arians want to use any plays that might confuse a Defense?

BleedBlacknGold0
12-04-2009, 09:23 AM
How is a designed run for a QB anymore dangerous than a designed run for a RB of the same size? and theres many smaller than 6'3" 210 LBS.

I don't really like the wildcat but it would be fun to see Ben and Dennis Dixon back there at the same time. Even if DD was just a decoy it could help throw a wrinkle out there.

HometownGal
12-04-2009, 09:25 AM
http://blog.myphysicaltherapyspace.com/WindowsLiveWriter/merry-go-round-16-12-2005.jpg

:banging::banging::banging:

BleedBlacknGold0
12-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Arians said there were no designed runs for Dixon in the Ravens' game because of the risk of an injury, especially with Tyler Palko as the only healthy quarterback behind Dixon.

Arians said he did not limit Dixon much against the Ravens because of the faith he has in the second-year man.

This part really bothers me too. I hate when people play not to get injured. I understand that he was the only QB per say but you cant take away somebody's #1 skill. Thats like not throwing to Randy Moss because his fingers may get hurt.

Then right after the comment about basically limiting DD, he says he did not limit him.

I hate to be so negative about BA it gets frustrating.

Texasteel
12-04-2009, 10:02 AM
This part really bothers me too. I hate when people play not to get injured. I understand that he was the only QB per say but you cant take away somebody's #1 skill. Thats like not throwing to Randy Moss because his fingers may get hurt.

Then right after the comment about basically limiting DD, he says he did not limit him.

I hate to be so negative about BA it gets frustrating.

Randy Moss is a WR. Catching passes is what he does. Dixon is a QB. His primary function is not to run with the ball. I can understand why the coaching staff does not want to make Dixon into RB. That stuff works fine in collage but I don't think it does that well in the pros. Vince Young didn't do much at all until they got him to stay in the pocket and play the QB position.

SteelStang
12-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Why the heck would Arians want to use any plays that might confuse a Defense?

Exactly. I mean why on Earth we would do such a thing????

It never worked when Kordell came in either:rolleyes: And yes I know it wasn't technically the 'wildcat' but it boils down to the same thing.

This issue of 'we can't use him like that because we can't afford to have him get hurt' is plausible, but when you're team is struggling you do what you have to do to win games. Give DD a couple shots per game.

stb_steeler
12-04-2009, 12:50 PM
I bet if Wis were still here he may have tried a few times.

HometownGal
12-04-2009, 01:24 PM

He's not, thank God, so I guess we'll never know will we?

Fire Haley
12-04-2009, 01:26 PM
He won't be saying that next year when Ben retires and we have Tebow and Dixon running the show.

fansince'76
12-04-2009, 01:34 PM

You mean this "Wis?"

Whisenhunt blows it again

Another week... another Steeler loss... another bad day for our Offensive play caller.

Not offensive, as in offensive side of the ball, but offensive, as in unpleasant sensations.

Exhibit A
Game starts - 1st & 10 - whattaya know throwin on 1st down... incomplete... followed up by the patented 2nd & 10 div up the middle... no gain... creating a 3rd & long situation... incomplete pass.... and we start this must win game with a very whisenhunt-like 3 and out.

This is exactly what I have been clammoring about on this site for weeks.... using an uncomfortable and obviously lacking-in-confidence QB improperly. I am not one of these people chanting Charlie Batch's name. Ben is our QB period. But why must we call plays that only work if the QB is sharp and precise in his reads and delivery. Ben has never BEEN ASKED to carried us offfensively. I emphasized been asked, because it is one thing to come out and make reactionary reads and plays as a complimentary player and it is a completely different story to be an offenses primary bread winner. Ben has proven so far this year he isnt ready to carry that kinda load.

Exhibit B
Willie Parker got only 4 carries after halftime. As halftime approached NBC posted the typical Cohwer "with a lead at halftime stat" and they come out in the second half and give just 4 carries to the only guy to score a TD for us since September 7!!!!!!!

Willie averaged over 4 yds/carry. So its not as if we couldnt run the ball at all. Furthermore, ask yourself....were our lineman doing a better job of run blocking or pass blocking. Ray Charles could see that Ben was under constant pressure on most pass plays.

Besides all of this was the fact that we had the leadhalfway through the 3rd qtr. Play Steeler football!!!!! Run the pill, control the clock, keep the other tems O off the field, gain confidence one first down at a time. Let our D rest. Again, play Steeler football.

A lot of folks realized that when these two teams (and more importantly these two coaches) get together that it will be a defensive struggle. Both coaches get accused of sitting or turtling the football. On Sunday night, Marty and his O coordinator did a far better job of protecting his QB with a far safer gameplan and Phillip Rivers beat Big Ben... Not because he executed perfectly, but because his coaches didnt ask him to carry the load for 4 quarters........ Whisenhunt has asked Ben to carry the load the lastt 12 quarters he has played

How has that worked out for ya, Mr. Whisenhunt?????

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=160042#post160042

Same old shit, different year. :coffee:

SteelGhost
12-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Mewelde Moore has 1 TD pass :chuckle:

I'm not a fan of the wildcat either, but a couple of "gadget" plays here and there wouldn't hurt :wink02: I'm ok with the coaching staff though, if they don't want to risk DD because of lack of depth at QB... fine :thumbsup:

Hayeksheroes
12-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Why is the Steeler o better when Big Ben calls the plays?

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 03:21 PM
LOL at the comedy gold in this thread.

TX Steelerfan
12-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Arians said the Steelers don't want the fleet-footed Dixon running the ball in sub packages such as the Wildcat for the same reasons he stated during training camp: it is took risky for the 6-foot-3, 209-pounder.

"He's an extremely good talent as far as speed, and when a play breaks down and he can improvise, that's when he'll be dangerous," Arians said of Dixon. "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."
Randall Cunningham, 6'4", 212
15 year career: 775 rushing attempts, 4,928 yards, 35 TD's

God forbid Dixon gives us any stats like that.

.....Just all bush league play to me.I mean it's just stubid to use a trick play as your regular offense is a joke.....I am just hoping the steelers will be the one team that does not have to resort to a trick play to be thier offense.:tt:As the staple of offensive play-calling, no, I'm with you. But used at the right time (see: SB XL, Randle El to Ward), a trick/gadget play can be a game-breaker.

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 04:20 PM
The season that Cunningham was drafted, Jack Lambert retired. Lambert played MLB at 212 LBS.

Troy Polumalu weighs in at 222 and he plays safety. SMALL NFL middle linebackers now weigh 230, and it's not uncommon to see 270 pound LBers now.

HometownGal
12-04-2009, 04:30 PM

I know. :rofl: :laughing:

It's the SOS, DT. :rolleyes:

wootawnee
12-04-2009, 05:49 PM
HOMETOWN YOU SO FUNNY....WE LOVE YOU......:applaudit::chuckle::rofl::toofunny::wink 02::hatsoff::thumbsup::drink::wave:

T&B fan
12-04-2009, 06:03 PM
its not even if we have to run the wildcat .. just dont TELL every team we will not be running the wildcat ...

then mabe just for kicks you bring in DD and BB on the same play to mess with the D .. mybe a BB hand off to DD and DD passes it for 30 yd TD to MM ...... or reverse from BB to DD then to MM big run ..
or just let other teams know off the bat we are not running a wildcat ..

reminds me of the 5 wide and no one in the back ....hhhhmmmm gona be a pass I'm thinking

MasterOfPuppets
12-04-2009, 06:08 PM

See, the irony is that I have been one of the biggest cheerleaders PRIOR to the situation last week, to get Dixon on the field in ANY capacity.

I was mocked for that, but that's another story altogether.

Anyway, the guy is a stud. He can run. He can pass. He can catch. He's an incredible athlete. And he's smart with the ball, has a nice football IQ.

so now you DON'T think he should be used ? :noidea:

revefsreleets
12-04-2009, 08:58 PM
so now you DON'T think he should be used ? :noidea:

I'm just mocking the general stupidity exhibited here...It's ONE thing to bring DD into the offense as part of a HEALTHY 3 QB system, an entirely different thing to retroactively say that we should have been using him after he performs well in an emergency situation.

And please don't get me started on the whole "We should have run him more" garbage again...

lambertlunaticfan
12-05-2009, 03:48 AM
Yes,i totally agree with you as a "trick" play yes i think it's great to have that in your gameplan.But alot of teams are using as part of thier regular offense and i don't like that.The steelers have always done "trick" plays and i have no problem using that as one fo them.:tt:Randall Cunningham, 6'4", 212
15 year career: 775 rushing attempts, 4,928 yards, 35 TD's

God forbid Dixon gives us any stats like that.

As the staple of offensive play-calling, no, I'm with you. But used at the right time (see: SB XL, Randle El to Ward), a trick/gadget play can be a game-breaker.

markymarc
12-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Bruce Arians is correct. Why risk an injury to DD with Ben coming back from a concussion. Let's just face it..........we are not going to be running the wild cat with Arians here. Although Arians could shock the Steeler Nation and run it with Carey Davis or David Johnson.........you know our FB :-)

Steelersfan4life
12-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I would not hate seeing the wildcat offense run by the steelers, I just don't think we have the players to run it.

The Dolphins use it so well partly because they had Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams in the same backfield but also because their offensive line is probably the best run blocking unit in football. I don't see our run game stacking up so well vs. that.

Also when a formation is like a quarter of your offense I think that kind of disqualifies it as a trick play.

revefsreleets
12-06-2009, 01:20 PM
I never said anything about the Wildcat, either....I just said I would have liked to see a little more in any way shape or form from DD prior to last week, when he was #3 on the depth chart....